Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just learned of the existence of the 2014 miniseries adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn. It's not on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. Does anyone know if it's available (or will be soon) in the US somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I worked on this and wasn't too happy with the end product, in fact, it got a lot of bad reviews across the board, so I'm not sure it's worth you tracking down. There was also a major problem with the sound editing (not my department) and ALL the dialogue is hard to hear.

Aw, that's a shame. For you, I mean -- I guess I'm not missing much. :)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I finally watched season 2 of Broadchurch, and uh it was good. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season.

Without spoiling anything major, can you say what the major premise of the season was? Do the two main leads still work together?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, that sounds cool. I'm glad Tennant's character and Ellie didn't go off to become private investigators and solve new crimes together like some fans were speculating.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

The Heroes Reboot is still happening and gets Zachary Levi to star:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/heroes-reboot-taps-zachary-levi-764347

The Heroes reboot already happened, it was called Alphas and was awesome, and the network jerks cancelled it on the worst cliffhanger ever. :argh:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

That was some Homicide level cop show work right there. Gonna have to add that to the watch list.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Fair warning, 19-2 isn't actually a gritty cop action show, most of the time it's more of a character drama, with some melodrama/soap-ish stuff attached. But their action stuff is pretty well done nonetheless.

So...kind of like Homicide, then? :v:

Did anyone watch Wolf Hall last night?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On that note, don't read the AVClub's reviews of Galavant.

E:

:goonsay: posted:

...Don’t get me wrong—there’s plenty of fun to be had with modernity in a Middle-Ages setting, but there’s no logical reason to name a rival knight played by John Stamos in the second episode Sir Jean Hamm, beyond it just being a cheap reference to Mad Men. Stamos’ character doesn’t share any traits with the real-life Hamm or Don Draper, and the moniker is never elaborated upon after his introduction....

...But for every one of these successful bits, there’s a gay joke or a montage of Galavant training for the tournament to a song reminiscent of Survivor’s “Eye Of The Tiger.” The latter scene might actually work if the arrangement was given some kind of Medieval spin—perhaps lyrics written in a Middle English vocabulary or a lute solo in place of a guitar solo. But no, it’s performed with power chords and words that aren’t much crazier than already-existing motivational rock songs. ...

E2: ...To be fair, the land-bound pirates of last week were pretty amusing until they got bogged down by a [one-sentence] cringe-worthy Lilith Fair joke....

:goonsay:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Random PSA: If you're on Twitter and don't already follow Ron Perlman, you need to remedy that right quick. https://twitter.com/perlmutations He is exactly what you'd expect him to be (hilarious and awesome).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Uh....I don't even watch the show, but didn't someone just say that that kiss wasn't scripted but adlibbed, so calling it "incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere" is kind of ridiculous.

Here it is again:

Zaggitz posted:

He's talking about the s3 kiss which was improv'd, not in the script and should not have made the final edit based on how everyone involved talked about it after it aired.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

And why does "ad libbed" suddenly render those arguments void? Because I think the "came out of nowhere" is exactly what ad libbed means.

Because it wasn't scripted, so it wasn't planned, so no one is to blame for "bad storytelling" when it apparently wasn't anyone's idea except the guy who felt an urge to kiss his coworker in the middle of a scene.

E:

less laughter posted:

It was one of Caviezel's brain farts, true, but it's on the showrunners that they left it in and didn't cut it because they didn't want to upset their diva actor.

Fair enough

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It's not the same Jon Stewart.

The Daily Show with Stewart Lee. Eh? Eh?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

What the gently caress was with Rollo ! His OCD got the better of him

Did you mean to post this in the Vikings thread?

On that note, if you're not watching Vikings, you need to get on that. It is such a fun show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame Jason Isaacs can't catch a break and get on a show that lasts more than one season, because he's a fantastic actor.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently read Ronald D. Moore's production bible for Battlestar Galactica during downtime at work. I'd been aware of it (because I'm interested in these things) but never sat and read the thing.

It's pretty long, isn't it? I've seen a few of these "series bibles" and I'd thought they tended to be quite short affairs. Animated series might have very long documents (I think the original Transformers and Batman: TAS ones are 100+ pages each), but that's because they'll have pages and pages of concept art and character designs. With live-action series, I'd expect maybe a page outlining the concept and format, a page with two or three lines each for the main characters, maybe a page outlining the plot for the first season (if there is one), possibly a couple of pages with episode summaries, and then a few ideas about what you'd like to do if you get a second season.

Was Moore just sitting idle one afternoon and think, "Well, better write 50 pages outlining the history, mythology, religion and technology of the setting for my TV series. Not like I have anything better to do."

:vince:

Goddamn, this is what I had secretly wanted all along!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

Here's a decently in-depth interview with Emmerich about directing, might be of interest:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-americans-co-star-noah-emmerich-on-directing-his-first-episode

This is a great interview -- thanks for sharing it.

Also, drat, Noah Emmerich is really articulate and well-spoken.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or...you just need writers who understand that women are human beings. It shouldn't take any special talent to do that.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, not Galavant! Timothy Omundson is so adorable in it. :smith:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What scene was that? (You can spoiler tag it). It's been so long since I read the book I can barely rememer anything about it except that I liked the world but the story was glacially paced.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. That scene.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does Daredevil not have its own thread? I'm halfway done and want to read people's reactions to those episodes (and things like the hallway fight, which would probably just be 6 pages of :drat: but whatever, I want to see them!)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yes! Thanks!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Contra Calculus posted:

Just got done watching Season 1 of The Americans. I felt like it has been a fairly good show so far. Funny as it may sound, I really enjoyed the old lovely soviet spy tech since it's stuff that I've actually studied in university too. Hell, I was actually impressed by how accurately they portrayed a lot of said 80's soviet spy gizmos. But overall, I just really love espionage plotting in general and this show does it really REALLY well.

That being said, what made it a fairly good show so far rather than being an excellent show is some bafflingly stupid writing decisions. The show felt like it was grinding to a drat halt at times because this agent was secretly loving this person and that agent was loving this person and it was putting a strain on their relationship and we really need to add more pointless contention for their interpersonal relationships. And sometimes the people the agents are loving to get information from are so unbelievably dense (Martha) I want to stop watching it all together.

Is it worth continuing after the first season? I definitely want to give it a chance, but I ask because I got stories about how Dexter sucked me into an endless black hole and I don't want a repeat of that.

Also, what are some other good espionage shows out there?

Spooks (UK title)/MI-5 (US title)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I don't like to get all male gazey but Jesus Christ Sherilynn Fenn as Audrey Horne.

Don't worry, anyone with a pulse must feel the same.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just want T-Bag in there somehow. William Fichtner coming back would be cool, too.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Guys, give me the lowdown on Low Winter Sun. I've heard it was terrible, but I'm on a "must watch everything Mark Strong has ever done" bender and want to know how much pain lies in store for me.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress is the Cigarette Smoking Man still alive? We saw him burn up in his wheelchair in a massive explosion in the series finale!

Like ok, aliens are real and so is the monster that ate Queequeg, but that old man cannot cheat death and the character should be put to rest.

:colbert:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Other than James Spader being James Spader, is The Blacklist any good?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, a fortnight ago I solicited opinions on The Blacklist, and I'm pretty sure your responses to a one advised me against watching it, but I did it anyway. :kiddo:

I've watched up to the penultimate episode of season 1 ("Berlin part 1"), but just wanted to say that I started watching for Spader but am staying for Tom, Tom rules.

The moment he went from "boring husband who cares" to "I said I loved my wife because that is my job :catstare: [end credits]" was the highlight of the show so far. I'm not saying I squealed and clapped my hands like a little girl when that happened, but I really am saying it. It genuinely felt like a reward for sticking with the show that long.

I happened to see a promo for this season that indicates he's still on the show, so that's really good news. If he's ever killed off, I will watch up to that episode and no further. I love James Spader and Red is a hoot, but there's too much other silliness with the writing to keep me going otherwise. Amazing quality guest-stars, though!

All right, those are my thoughts, thanks for reading.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

That also reminds me that The Swan existed, the show where ugly people had to compete to get plastic surgery.

I confess, I watched The Swan, so I could follow the Television Without Pity recaps. It was as much of a :stonk:--fest as you would imagine.

One thing that sticks out in my memory is a perfectly normal-looking, attractive 40-something woman being pressured by the plastic surgeon to fix her nose. There was nothing wrong with her nose, she didn't think anything was wrong with it, she didn't want to "fix" it because her daughters had the same nose and she didn't want to make them self-conscious, and the attitude of the surgeon was like Goons #21-22 before they start pissing in the well.

Every minute of every episode of the show was gross and unethical. I am a worse person for having watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I stopped watching GOT 2-3 years ago, and I just found out that this past season, the show made Stannis kill Shireen and then Brienne kills Stannis?? Stannis is dead?!??!? :psyduck: In the books, he and Shireen are very much alive and why the gently caress would Stannis kill his daughter, who is the only person he has ever loved and his only heir WTFFF

Is that show being written by a roomful of monkeys now or something?

• Locked thread