Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it going to be almost 2015 all year? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

I don't think the problem lies with more hardcore TV watchers, it's about convincing casual viewers that Arrow/Flash/Person of Interest/The 100/Spartacus/etc. is worth watching while no one is calling them "prestige". It's like an after-effect of the lovely Hollywood/Oscar effect where people think they only want the best of the best without knowing what they like, so they hop on the liberal intelligentsia bandwagon without really questioning why they actually think they like Mad Men or Homeland (lol) or The Wire.
Liberal intelligentsia bandwagon? Did I just stumble onto the set of Fox News?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

No, I am pretty liberal myself but I do question if people who say, watch Mad Men because everyone else that they share values (liberal middle class is usually tied to MM viewers) with does it too, and not because they actually like it on their own merits. Watching prestige television for prestige television sake feels like the current cultural version of keeping up with the Joneses.
I don't think that really happens. There are a lot of shows on TV, and normal people can't watch everything so they need some kind of filter. This comes in the form of recommendations from friends and critical acclaim. The fact that prestige shows are often recommended is a consequence of their quality, not some liberal hivemind.

Besides, not that many people watch prestige shows. Mad Men gets a fraction of the viewership of Jersey Shore or 2 Broke Girls.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

99.9% of Buzzfeed is poo poo, but sometimes there's good journalism.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't watched any Downton Abbey since the infamous season 3 Christmas episode where Matthew dies.

Are seasons 4 and 5 worth watching?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

I watched about half of Marco Polo, did it end good?

I didn't dislike it or anything, just never got back to it and also noticed that Netflix has Hotel Impossible and let's just say a few days disappeared on me.
I thought the quality was pretty consistent through the entire season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching Empire, so... it is a pretty bad show.
Does Fox get to blame Kevin Reilly for it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

It's being by the same people who did The Bible mini-series, so it looks like a pretty blatant attempt by NBC to get some Christians to watch one of their shows. Judging by the preview and the makers past history, it's probably going to be as faithful as it can to the bible.

That doesn't mean it will be bad, but I doubt it's going to be taking too many risks beyond filling in some of the blanks in the bible.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings are terrible compared to the Bible miniseries, in part because conservative America thinks NBC is the liberal devil and also because "Hey, it's on the History Channel, let's affirm our belief in the truth of scripture!"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

savinhill posted:

I had time to finish the last season of Borgia on Netflix and that poo poo was so good. Never thought I'd get all emotional and poo poo over Cesare Borgia, but Mark Ryder was so amazing as him and the finale did the character so much justice.
How does it compare to Showtime's The Borgias?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So is The Affair really good enough to have swept TV drama at the Globes? Not that the GGs mean poo poo or anything, just curious.
I've watched most of the first season and it's good enough.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elementary is a pretty good show, right? I only saw the pilot when it aired.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

soapgish posted:

I don't watch that show but it seems apparent that Gawker has never given/received cunnilingus from behind, or is even aware of where an anus is in relation to genitals.
According to Lena Dunham and Allison Williams, there was at least rear end motorboating: http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/09/girls-cast-lena-dunham-allison-williams/

Dunham: You got your rear end motorboated in the season premiere!
Williams: Which I can’t wait to see…. I had a couple of days talking to wardrobe and makeup to get ready to rig the thing that I wore for the rear end motorboating.

I mean, you could still be performing cunnilingus while rear end motorboating, but I can see why you would think it's just salad tossing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Man I hope this is good but my expectations are mega low.

The book that it's based on is really good and we need some straight up space sci fi on TV real bad.
Remember how the trailer for Ascension looked pretty cool?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

He's got a point, though. Its easy to dismiss a couple of cranks coming out of the woodwork to tear Cosby down decades after the alleged rapes occurred. When its over a dozen, some of whom are credible, it becomes harder to ignore. On top of that is the disturbing notion that a person can have his career and reputation ruined by unsubstantiated accusations over something that no one is in a position now, decades later, to prove or disprove. Does anyone really want to reward and encourage this kind of disgustingly reactionary mob rule? I certainly wouldn't if I were in Greenblatt's shoes.
This sounds very similar to the argument presented in The Newsroom's penultimate episode, "Oh Shenandoah".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

It was a lovely "gotcha" kind of thing to ask in the first place. He might as well have asked if he'd stopped beating his wife yet.
Is it at all hypocritical that the same person called that Newsroom episode "abominable"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

State of Affairs is something i've been watching to fill the espionage gap left by The Blacklist's midseason break.

Tonight's episode, at least IMO, caused State of Affairs to go from "Hahahahaha, oh boy. Jeez." to "Ehhhhhhh?". It's actually gotten....better? It's still awful, but now the story is going somewhere and it's on a grander, less terrible scale.
There's gotta be a better option in spy/political action thrillers. Maybe something British? I've seen Spooks but not much else comes to mind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Well Netflix continues to stack paper

Again the shocker continues to be that there were almost four and a half million people in the world that didn't have netflix already.

Also not TV related but they are streaming The Interview starting tomorrow.
I live in a large house with four guys who are all tech saavy, between 25-29, and none of us have Netflix.

We do leech off others' accounts though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Also up against the SOTU.

It wasn't cratering it was like a tenth below it's last ep.
And yet, the SOTU only scored a 4.9 on the 4 broadcast channels, about what Big Bang Theory gets, which shows have to go up against every week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Kristen Stewart strikes me as the kind of gal it'd be cool to get high with and bang on the cas.
Could be a Katy Perry-type situation though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I just caught all the way up with the 100 and it is like, crazy good.
Can anyone confirm whether The 100 train is worth getting on?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've only seen the first season of The Walking Dead. I know season 2 was bad, but is it worth powering through to get to the current stuff?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only thing I know about Laugh-In is that Richard Nixon is the only President to appear on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Last Man On Earth with Will Forte starts up in a few weeks. Very interested to see how it turns out.
Probably as well as Backstrom.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone throwing out names of comedians is forgetting that The Daily Show isn't popular because of Jon Stewart's comedic chops but his political criticism. Even a smart comedian like Louis C.K. would find it hard to replace Jon's vast knowledge.

What we do not need is another late night "comedy" show. We have one each on the networks, plus Conan, plus @Midnight. What we do need is commentary more than the once a week we get from Last Week Tonight.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

At least someone got a laugh out of this show.

Also Chuck Lorre is at least as much of a whiny dick as Dan Harmon, he just doesn't make shows anyone here likes so we don't talk about him.
He hasn't provided wrap gifts to the crew. That's a 110% dick move.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When a show like Empire gets crazy good ratings, how long does it take for the network to turn that into additional ad revenue? If it's not until next season, there's no guarantee the good ratings will continue, a la Glee.

Similarly, when something like The Slap bombs, does the network have to pay back advertisers if the ratings are "too bad"? If not, there don't seem to be any bad repercussions other than needing to find a replacement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

What on Earth makes you think any network would ever agree to something like this?
It's not the craziest thing that advertisers would have a clawback provision, like how bookstores can sell back unsold inventory.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I love the first two seasons but I didn't even finish three, it just took such a dive. Her show with Karen Gillan wasn't much good either.
Selfie suffered from a terrible opening scene and even worse title, but it was sufficiently enjoyable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL that the subject of The Jinx, Robert Durst, his family's real estate company manages Freedom Tower.

Yes, that Freedom Tower.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chakron posted:

And arrested yesterday. That's insane. Kind of hard to gauge the number of viewers for a show like that but I was also surprised to see no TV IV thread.
I posted the trailer to my Facebook at 9:30pm and only had 1 person reply. Nobody is watching this. Hell, they've been sponsoring Slate's weekly sports podcast, Hang Up and Listen, for the past month+ and I didn't watch it because the title alone turned me off.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I'm not at all surprised it didn't have a thread here. It's a true crime doc and that's not something that normally gets a lot of traffic here.
I'd be happy to make a thread, mainly to discuss the fallout from the show, especially since people should have access to all 6 episodes by morning.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beergod posted:

The Jinx's last episode is monumental in television history. I really don't think there's even an appropriate analog. It probably deserves its own thread.
Effort thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706662

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Viginti posted:

So, as an Aussie who can't get HBO and relies on the kindness of strangers for their shows i'm left sitting here, trying to avoid spoilers and theorizing about how it is that noone has put this episode online yet. I mean, the HBO documentaries are a little inconsistent in their delivery - some don't appear as torrents at all until the DVD release - but the last five came out fine, this was in the news all day and had the highest expected audience of any of them and yet...nothing. Are the Dursts tracking down anyone with a copy and having them killed? Is HBO trying to build suspense? Is there some sort of legal battle going on in regards to the rights of it? Probably no in all cases, because none of that would have any effect on torrents, but it is a hell of a thing.
You should be able to watch the final episode now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mo0 posted:

Oh my god they're doing Charmed again!!!!! :neckbeard:
Catherine Bell is definitely preferably to Shannen Doherty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Malt posted:

Does The Newsroom pick up past season 1?

The West Wing was great, but this feels like they took the exact same formula and applied it to a news group minus all the amazing characters and proper setting for the deep, profound importance they want you to feel 10 times an episode.
Aaron Sorkin had 1 great series in him. Most showrunners have none.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Librarians' first few episodes were marginally acceptable, but good god is that show utter garbage. Spend your time elsewhere.

I say this as a fan of Warehouse 13.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lexx is simultaneously amazing and terrible, but it's definitely worth watching.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're trying to trick me into reading that thread, and it won't work.
I promise that we're not trying to make a boob of you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it worth finishing season 1 of Halt and Catch Fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rodnik posted:

Tonights episodes of The Late Late Show was some of the best TV i've seen in years.
I refuse to believe anything to do with James Corden isn't poo poo.

• Locked thread