Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

How does that only get a 4 rating for consumerism?

If a literal half hour toy commercial only rates 4, I have to assume that the only things that score 5 are infomercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Internet wasn't as big during X-Files either so you didn't have jagoffs trying to "call it" for every mystery.

X-Files is often cited as the first Internet followed show. It wasn't, of course, since the first was obviously Star Trek, but the following online was huge. There's even a season three episode about a killer stalking people on the Internet to steal their fat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

Great, exactly the biggest problem with zombie stories, how in the hell it just comes out of nowhere in a world with smartphones and internet. Only now it'll be "gosh, all these conspiracy nuts talking about zombies are sooo crazy, whoops every single world city is now overrun!"

And the Walking Dead style zombies is an instantaneous problem the world over. You can't have rumors and secrets when over a hundred thousand people die natural deaths in the United States every day and all of them become zombies. A Walking Dead outbreak would from zero to everybody's dead in a matter of days.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

The real beauty of that episode is who wrote it: William Gibson, the man who defined cyberpunk as a genre.

He also wrote the disastrously awful episode "Kill Switch" which had an okay, if tired, premise but inserted the Mariest Sue to ever Mary Sue her way onto television screens.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sober posted:

Sounds like someone fell asleep at the wheel for this, moreso than I expected:

https://twitter.com/NexusFandom/status/559793606467133440

:psyduck:

I recall hearing that Buffy has had problems like this before. Some seasons were shot 16:9 and then matted to 4:3 to get rid of the crew and equipment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sober posted:

One of these days people are gonna figure out if it was shot in 4:3, it should stay in 4:3, the gaping black bars on the side of the screen be damned.

Twenty years ago we were fighting with people over not chopping widescreen stuff down to 4:3. Now my eye twitches when I go over to a relative's place and they're watching some 4:3 program zoomed in and blurry on their 16:9 television...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Sleepy Hollow has made three mistakes this year that has caused it to move from must see to will watch later. The first is downsizing Orlando Jones' role. The second is seemingly wrapping up a big part of the ongoing story too quickly. The third and biggest mistake is increasing Katia Winter's role. She should just be removed from the show altogether. The one good change up is adding Matt Barr because he's great and his character is a lot of fun.

It seems to lack the energy and rhythm that made the first season so much fun. It's gone from, "Oh man, what crazy thing is going to happen next!" to "Oh, here's the monster of the week." It's like they got their first and second seasons reversed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Annakie posted:

I'd also take Miller's Sherlock over Cumberbatch's any day, as well as... the entire rest of the Elementary cast.

All of this discussion is academic since we all know that Jeremy Brett is the best television Sherlock.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think I have found the creepiest sitcom ever. I know a lot of bad, one season shows but this somehow stayed off my radar.

For extra creep and ick factor, the person who created this would eventually make Small Wonder.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

Buffy would be a feature-length pilot that you said didn't count since they aired it on one night as one episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Chris Hardwick is a good interviewer in a laid-back and unstructured setting like a podcast, so long as you don't mind hitting the skip button when he inevitably brings up the Singularity, Doctor Who, or internet trolls. He's just complete dogshit at standup and pitches a fit whenever he has to answer to a higher power or follow S&P which makes him a terrible fit for a talkshow.

I've tried listening to his interview podcast and I can't because he's so unbearable as a host. He's just plain awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Found the next show for NBC to remake

I've seen commercials for it, but never watched the show. I really wish it was about a crusading prosecutor who worked vampire crimes rather than the boring option of a vampire who is also a lawyer.

• Locked thread