Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JohnSherman posted:

Hopefully with all the episodes being aired in full, people will actually realize that even the most memorable casts struck out as much as they hit it out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_Glg85-60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skyler's got a bunch of flaws but the incredibly disproportionate rage is due to idiots being idiots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Well Netflix continues to stack paper

Again the shocker continues to be that there were almost four and a half million people in the world that didn't have netflix already.
Hardly a surprise given they're still rolling out officially in a lot of countries (including places like western Europe and Australia).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PoI's procedural stuff is competent but not that amazing, and it wasn't until the first Elias episode (and then the Rear Window one) that they really demonstrated what they could do with the show.

I'm really, really glad I wasn't watching S1 as it aired.

Metropolis posted:

Has any show had a worse fall from grace than Homeland?
Dexter?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Looked justifiable to me but excessive.

edit: It's based off an Australian novel?
Australian novel which was made into a (high-profile) mini-series here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP8I0T9xnk

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 26, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

If it is, it's pretty cool that i can't see the video, in Australia

Yeah I can't see the NBC video either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, I can't see this being a series. Some kid was putting people in danger, a guy came up and slapped him to get him under control, and now his negligent parents are crying foul. That's enough material for a two hour tv movie, at most. I can't imagine this sustaining itself for 13 or 22 episodes because the precipitating incident is just so trivial. Why not just do a Hatfields and McCoys tv series instead, because at least those lunatics did something interest with their silly feud?

Both the original version and the adaptation are 8-part miniseries.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

VDay posted:

Well Cumberbatch is just the Doctor but with an excuse to be an even bigger smug dick to everyone so it's kind of hard to say whether or not he actually has human qualities/feelings.
I don't know, there have been a bunch of Doctors who weren't remotely sociopathic (especially Tennant and Smith, of the recent lot).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not the only case I've seen recently :tinfoil:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Righto. Thanks for the insight, everyone. Recently, I thought, "I fancy something with vampires in it," and since I've already watched Buffy and Angel (not to mention my personal favourite vampire-themed series, Forever Knight), it's been either True Blood or The Vampire Diaries, as far as I can see. The former is finished, anyway, while the latter is not, and it has fewer episodes per season. I might try that once I'm done with Farscape.

But seriously, Forever Knight is probably the best low-budget Candian vampire detective series from the 1990s starring a Welshman there's ever been.

Have you seen Ultraviolet? British miniseries about vampires starring Jack Davenport, Susannah Harker, Idris Elba and Philip Quast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think people tend to overemphasise how much AoS suffered because of the limitations related to Winter Solider.

The shows have to appeal to people who know virtually nothing about the broader universe, because approximately zero people read comics. Some of the best bits of early Arrow were Felicity and Diggle, two characters that were written specifically for the show. You could change Slade Wilson's name, give him a different costume and nobody would pick him as Deathstroke, because the character is so different to the comics (this applies to Merlyn too, to a lesser extent). Huntress was a familiar name and a weapon attached to an unrelated character, but she wasn't great and the references did nothing to fix that.

Agents of SHIELD had a poo poo start because it was poo poo. To see this look at how some things have changed: Ward's relationship with Skye is much more interesting than it used to be, and while it happened because of the Hydra reveal it could easily have been done earlier (the concept of someone betraying SHIELD isn't hard to imagine). Fitz and Simmons were essentially interchangeable until Fitz's injury, which again could have been done much earlier.

Fringe and PoI had slow, unsteady starts but had better written characters and more polished stories-of-the-week that kept up interest in a way that AoS didn't.

pentyne posted:

PoI update: Fusco is easily the best part of the show, because after the initial serious drama he's genuine comedic relief.
He's also actually human, unlike a bunch of the other characters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Why is this stupid Superman radio show introducing some dumb guy called Jimmy Olsen?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jor-EL died on Krypton, why the gently caress does this new movie have a hologram version of him in the Fortress of Solitude? If they can't adapt the comics properly why bother?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

There isn't a contradiction in lore there because the comics never specified how high-tech the technology in the FoS was, so there could easily be a hologram of Jor-El in the comics version of the FoS.
It's a part of the Superman universe that is so commonly accepted that lots of people forget it wasn't introduced by the comics. Same with Jimmy Olsen.

Adaptations change things all the time, and the stuff you're pissing and moaning about is ridiculous.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Are there many series which started with a two-part story? Not in the "feature-length pilot" fashion, but in the sense that episodes one and two are one story in two parts. The only examples that occur to me off the top of my head are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Dead Zone but I imagine there are more.

BSG started with a 2-part miniseries.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

When you get beyond the lower budget/restrictions they had with filming that must've made things really difficult, it's a really solid season. People were just pissed that it wasn't going to hammer references to s1-3 constantly and instead built it's own new jokes that were referenced and resolved later in the season. I don't have as much enthusiasm about it as the previous seasons, but hell I definitely want it to return again and I really should give s4 another run through.
It's also really flabby, and most of the episodes run far longer than they should.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

The 100 intro (starting with S2) is legit awesome and the PoI intro is fun to keep track of because they make a bunch of little changes to it over time. Both way better than the long and unnecessary OitNB intro.

PoI plays around with the intro enough that you'll miss some important setup for some episodes if you skip it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's a lot of Tracy Morgan in 30 Rock.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He also cares about having a legacy, and something as transformative as AmWorks would do that (ignoring how implausible it actually is).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In the British one he's not even really pursuing the Prime Ministership until Collingridge snubs him for Home Secretary.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Deadpool posted:

IRQ I'm still waiting on what B&B is.
Beavis and Butthead, I assume.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't think anyone in the history of television has ever referred to the highest rated tv show of the 90's as criminally underwatched.
That's the joke (which is itself a Simpsons reference, for those not familiar with 80s and 90s TV).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoT is a good show and deserves the fame and attention it's got.

Vanderdeath posted:

I read through all of the books in 2011 after the first season ended and this is correct. A Dance With Dragons' ending was one of the most angering, bullshit cliffhangers I've ever read. Thanks, GRRM; I'll likely find out what happens in the TV show since they've already lapsed you. The scripts for next season must already be done at this point.

The dumbest thing about the DwD ending is that he's already written (and released) the chapters that come next, it was just that the book was too long to include them because he spent so much time waffling on about crap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sober posted:

I know it's just a stupid internet poll, but why the gently caress is Firefly winning?

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a33794/tv-reboot-tournament-final/
Because it's the internet, and because it's been up against Tenacious D, Part Down and Bored to Death.

IRQ posted:

And why is Chapelle's show even on there, he quit that of his own accord, it can't come back by very nature.
Flight of the Conchords was the same; it finished because the creators didn't really want to do any more.

E: Actually The Office UK as well. It's a really dumb poll.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

At a certain point the show becomes "Aaron Sorkin screams at the viewer about how right his opinions are" so frequently that you forget there is even a plot.
And after that cold intro you get a long, sanctimonious title scene.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

On Strike Back one of the leads is an American playing English and an Australian playing American. I guess to me Australian sounds more like English than we do, but I guess an Aussie might think American English is closer to England English.

Nobody in Australia thinks American accents sound anything like British accents.

E: Doreah in Game of Thrones is an example of a British accent that is very close to an Australian accent. Cate Blanchett or Geoffrey Rush are the kind of Aussies who sound somewhat British (from an Aussie perspective).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_h0egj9YY

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 5, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barrowman has some funny things to say about his accents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKol37OR6s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ravane posted:

Oh this is Malcolm Merlyn right?
Also the lead on Torchwood, and noted pussy eater.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It isn't actually that much money considering it's spread across a season as opposed to per episode and, you know, it's a major part in phenomenally successful series.

700k / episode is a shitload of money, and she's not in every episode (and not necessarily a major part of the ones she is in). At that rate she's one of the highest paid TV actors.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I guess part of my surprise is that she's getting that much in an ensemble show. It's more than Spacey, Cranston or Hamm get for their (leading) roles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

I can guarantee you that David Tennant made a lot more money from doing Gracepoint than he probably made from 2 series of Dr Who.
The rumour is that he was on close to a million pounds a season at the end, but by that point he wass the face of one of the biggest shows in the UK (and Matt Smith got a lot less when he replaced him).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for comedy shows. Old or new it doesn't matter. Otherwise I'll just marathon 3rd rock from the sun since it's on Netflix now
Party Down, Peep Show, Eastbound and Down, The Extras, The Thick of It, Happy Endings.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jesus, Scandal makes 24 sound sane and coherent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

It's been over ten years since Shyamalan made a movie with a twist in it. At this point the number of movies he's directed without twists outnumber the ones with twists almost two to one.

The ones with the twists were the better ones too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm not sure what Joe's angle here is since the Matrix 1 is the only decent movie of theirs I can remember.

There's also Bound, but it's not exactly well known.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

less laughter posted:

That's not the reason; it's because the American television audience doesn't like to read subtitles. Asking them to read those for the other Russians in the show like Nina is already a pretty big hurdle. If they would have to read subtitles for Philip and Elizabeth the majority of the time as well, it would be asking too much and the show would have never caught on in the US. Hence why shows like Les Revenants get remakes, and a lavishly made, super fun spy show like Deutschland 83 can't even pull in 100k viewers in the US.

On that note I've been (re)watching Heroes while doing housework and stuff and I was really surprised when I realised how many early scenes were in Japanese.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was gonna say they were roughly contemporaneous, but apparently Lost predates Heroes by 2 years so you might be right.

Heroes premiered during the first half of season 3 of :lost:, which at the time felt incredibly padded and directionless. It ended up improving in the second half of the season and had a great finale, right as Heroes managed to poo poo the bed.

bull3964 posted:

Let's not discount technology advances. A lot has happened in the 5/9 years that heroes ended/started. It's a lot more feasible now to have a SFX heavy show than it was even just half a decade ago.

Agents of SHIELD is fun but it looks loving cheap as hell. The scenes on top of the carrier in the finale were embarrassing, and that was just basic composition stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

That was the fish biscuits wasn't it? That was so bad.

Yup. The season started with fish biscuits, and ended with Not Penny's Boat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

less laughter posted:

Actually that's exactly how I number episodes too (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.). Because the S and the E and the 0 are all extraneous information. Season number [dot] episode number is all you need, simple and clean.

The 0 isn't necessarily extraneous, because (some) programs would put 1.11 in between 1.1 and 1.2

The S and the E are a bit more optional, but can make it easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Sherlock good?

Yes. It has some supremely silly bits at times though.

• Locked thread