Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tracking shot fans: You maybe should see Birdman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

How are you guys all watching PoI now? Is it streaming somewhere?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Parenthood finale tonight. It was pretty good, besides every Kristina plotline.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The quality of that show depends on the quality of Gannondorf, the best villain.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Spelling is for losers.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

One thing in Zelda's favor is a ton of incredible music.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

VDay posted:

I imagine it's gotten at least a little bit easier/cheaper to design and build a robot in the last decade so I'm hoping for some cool designs.

Not really, those kinds of parts are still expensive.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

30 minute dramas are really frustrating, I always feel short changed when the episode ends.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's probably something like another improv show or something. There's no reason that ABC would revive it, but I guess TBS or something could.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

New Girl is watchable but it's not 'must-watch' by any means.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I've never seen more people suggest a woman to host a late night show as this daily show vacancy. Would you think a woman be a boon or a detriment to viewership to the program at this time? Are audience's preference for male hosts waning? I'm curious, not projecting one answer or the other.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

none of season 5 is "boring middle episodes"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I can't understand the mentality of watching that show stewing in repulsion of the main character. Did you read the title of the show? Bad is the product. We know that it's bad.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ozymandias should have been the ending I agree. Not too keen on reducing the series into a parable though.

^New Mexico is beautiful. Great place to visit.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I wish they found different actors for the Better Call Saul flashbacks. Bob Odenkirk does not look any younger in any costume.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Pacific Rim was rubbish.

Guillermo del Toro made Pan's Labyrinth and decided that he was now free to make all the dorky and terrible poo poo that he wanted.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Kimmy Schmidt is good but damnit I thought I was done with that incredibly obnoxious 30 rock music.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So far it seems like more of what I liked about 30 Rock, and less of what I didn't like.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm not gonna watch Steven Universe and I stopped watching Gravity Falls, but could someone put the twists or whatever that got people excited in spoilerbox, or link me to a synopsis?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lesbians are all the rage in cartoons, I guess.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

"well written female characters" is a weird thing to define. Women acting 100% strong and capable isn't very true to life, and women acting like men isn't very true to life, but a lot of times that' the result of shows trying to shoehorn in "well written female characters". Women act like women, and I think you need capable writers to pull it off.

Lots of prestige dramas get this right. I think Togetherness, while sort of dull, has very accurate portrayals of gender. Maybe it's harder to pull off in action or fantasy, as women in high risk/high stress scenarios is not something most people have direct experience with, unless you're in the army maybe.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Maybe if they take that direction it would be, but hasn't she just been rebuffing him and is angry with him for wrecking their friendship as he flounders about not knowing how to deal with his feelings?

They've shown his redeeming qualities anyways, he's dependable, a good friend, and pretty motivated under the right circumstances.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Or...you just need writers who understand that women are human beings. It shouldn't take any special talent to do that.

What I mean is that men and women are different. They have different types of personalities in general, and I would consider it a special talent to be able to effectively capture that difference without getting it wrong, or going overboard, or understating it.

You can get away with treating everyone the same, I guess. GRR Martin has the quote like yours, where he says he treats women like people and that's how he's able to write female characters, but it ends up being that everyone in that show acts in the same semi-masculine way, and there's a lot missing from that world that exists in the rich mix of male and female voices in the real world.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Vice is fun but they do not care about being accurate at all. Whenever they report on something you know anything about you'll be shocked at how they'll omit or misrepresent facts for maximum shock value.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I watched vikings until this latest season.

It seems to be treading water in the 2 repeating plot points they can do, and the dialogue is weirdly stilted and in a dumb accent where they're all speaking as if they're using a second language and only know a handful of words. The vikings don't do a lot of regular emoting or thinking, as if the show is always trying as hard as possible to remind us that they are indeed vikings. Oh and you only need to see one battle scene before you've seen them all.

The production is good and its interesting in the first season before the repetition and lack of developed characters is grating. And honestly, even with the flaws it's ok tv, you could do worse..

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ravane posted:

I've honestly enjoyed Better Call Saul far more than I enjoyed Breaking Bad. I sincerely believe it's the pacing of the show. BCS is a bit faster than BB and is consistent, whereas BB has slow episodes and fast episodes which all serve to build tension. And that's nice and all, but I sincerely cannot watch an episode where the main character swats at a fly for forty-five minutes. BCS is entertaining and builds tension well without forcing its viewers to go through hell for it. BB's last seasons were very fast paced, and that's where I most enjoyed the show, but the first few seasons killed me with slow pacing and brought me back with good plot and character development.

You like BCS because it's fast paced?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Its true, there is a lot of plotlines that could have been trimmed waaay down in BB. A lot of it is boring. Better call saul though, that show is at least twice as boring. I like the show, but drat, there was a whole episode about a guy considering getting into elder law. Just considering it.

Also Joffrey is the best ever.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I feel like managing the dysfunction of this thread is missing the point.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Battlebots is like if one of the martial arts in MMA was nuts-kicking, and all opponents fell to the nut-kickers until all battles were two guys trying to kick each other in the nuts. Actually, that sounds like a show that more people would watch anyways.

The nut-kickers are flat steel wedges in this complex metaphor.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Imagine a show that bores viewers.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hulk is the best one

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Watching the Kurt Cobain documentary and he seems like a really irritating dude.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

Have you seen Shyamalan Airbender? He's a Hack.

I was defending Shyamalan for years, until this. Yeah he's the worst.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

You mean to tell us that you were both on board with Shyamalan up until Avatar, and that was your breaking point?

Yeah I thought the movies were fun in an oddball kind of way. An original voice at least.

But Airbender was a tour de force of bad directing. If I hadn't seen it I never would have believed that the movie could be made so badly.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's called Fetal RedBull Syndrome.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I just watched some of Ozymandias. The whole series was filmed at once. Apparently they finished an episode every 2 days, and it was a rather successful series, pretty smart move.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hannibal baby!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I think Hannibal would benefit from the netflix binge format.

I know someone who binged 1.5 seasons of hannibal in a day, and they looked physically ill afterwards.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

less laughter posted:

It was just renewed for season 4

I was kinda looking forward to a conclusion to speed things up a bit but 2 more seasons is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Catching up on comedy central. Another period is funny, but I don't know why you guys were being so generous with Hannibal's show.

• Locked thread