Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm concerned that shunning Occupation will push him further into his already-dangerous alcoholism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Weird Al was also great on 30 Rock, and he honored our troop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it going to be almost 2015 all year? :ohdear:
Until May, at least.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

30 Rock had the worst ending. Killing off Jack was a terrible idea, and building the whole thing around the funeral was just... it was a really bad way to close it out. Especially since the budget cuts made it a bottle episode that only had Liz, Pete, Jenna, and Frank.

Edit: But I liked the Conan cameo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

What are the right reasons for liking Breaking Bad oh infallible arbiter of subjective judgments?
Only people who grew up watching Malcolm in the Middle can legitimately appreciate Breaking Bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"When does Cold Case come out on DVD" is not a sentence I thought I would ever hear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A jingoistic retard rumble over the nationality of TV programmes. Marvellous.
Programs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

Batman just has a deep appreciation for death metal, that's all.
This explains why the movies he's in are so tedious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I rewatched Season 4 of Arrested Development and really liked it this time. That last scene is so satisfying every time I see it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

And also the least likeable and funny, which is kind of essential for a late night host.
I also find powerful black women threatening.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

I find her personality grating and extremely off-putting, it has nothing to do with her gender or race. It is racist and misogynistic on your part that you can't even talk about a woman of color anymore without playing the race or gender card at the drop of a hat, as if she's beyond critique purely because of said gender and/or race.
Oh, okay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Plus what power? I could totally take her in a fight.
Well, yeah. Have you seen how she aims?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I think she could totally beat Freeza, but probably not Cell. Her power is somewhere between there.
SSJ1 then.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't wait to see The Daily Show With Joel McHale.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It's not the same Jon Stewart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I loving hate jokes, bring on the intelligent political commentary.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

The Daily Show with Brian Williams.
Before his idiot scandal this would have been great. He was funny when he was on the show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Daily Show with Diane Rehm

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

OK, the "Daily Show with ______" thing has run its course now guys.
It's okay, we're not doing it for comedy anymore. Now it's high-level political commentary.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

Reminder that Skylar White was unironically called Skycunt on these very forums.
Yeah, but this site hates anyone who's not a white man.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gerry Gergich lived to 100.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

See, manufacturing in America isn't dead. We still make cheap drama.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I realize there's a thread for it, but if you aren't watching Kimmy Schmidt you're an idiot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

Don't you mean Kimbecile
No, I do not.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

ICYMI, Kimbecile is what Titus calls Kimmy when she's being an idiot
Anyone too dumb to watch the show does not deserve the name.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I bet you liked Studio 60 better than 30 Rock, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I really, really like Kimmy Schmidt but your right that it's not a dark comedy and people thinking it's anything other than the exact tone and fluffy humour of 30 Rock in another setting are seeing something that isn't really there.
There are some dark jokes (Kimmy trying to strangle her roommate in her sleep) but it's definitely a lighthearted and optimistic show. I think people project their thoughts about the show's premise onto it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bown posted:

To be fair most of the darkness spiel came from DivisionPost, and while we all love him he's certainly prone to exaggeration.
Wait,

DivisionPost posted:

About a year ago NBC ordered a new comedy from the creator of 30 Rock, possibly hoping for another live-action cartoon with a light touch of left-leaning satire that made the show so beloved in critical circles and social media.

What it got was a new comedy from Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, a live-action cartoon that savaged the Patriarchy through the tale of a woman desperate to prove herself a survivor after living in a bunker for fifteen years under the oppressive eye and hand of an End Times preacher. And despite sounding like a recipe for melodramatic misery bait, it just so happened to be as joke-packed as their last show, even as its sense of humor was far darker.

NBC didn't have a loving clue what to do with it. Thankfully for us, Netflix did.
seriously?

quote:

As stated before, Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper, The Office, Mystery Team) spent 15 years of her life in an Indiana doomsday cult with three other women, only to be discovered and set free after the fuzz closes in on the sleazy preacher running their bunker. On a trip to New York City to film The Today Show, the now 30-year-old Kimmy realizes she has absolutely nothing waiting for her in her hometown of Durnesville except the mark of victimhood. She opts for a clean slate under an assumed name in New York, moving into a shoddy apartment tended to by insane landlady Lillian (Carol Kane, Taxi, Wicked) and shared with larger-than-life actor Titus Andromedon (Tituss Burgess, 30 Rock's "Queen of Jordan" episodes), and is eventually hired as a nanny by the wealthy and neurotic Jacqueline Voorhees (Jane Krakowski, more-or-less reprising Jenna Maroney with a couple of interesting twists), who quickly becomes a friend and confidante. Life is lived and lessons are learned as Kimmy makes peace with her past and inspires those around her, blah blah blah.
DivisionPost

quote:

Look, I vomited out that abstract of the premise and if I put my mind to it, I could vomit out some more words about what this show really has on its mind and how it's such a brilliant feminist work. But I'm not that well educated and none of that poo poo really matters right now. Here's what matters: It's loving funny. It's as good, possibly even better than having 30 Rock back. The gags come at the same frequency and land with a similar percentage. The key difference is tone: 30 Rock had the benefit of lead characters of modest-at-worst privilege, which kept the jokes from getting too heavy. But while Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, doesn't dwell too much on the darker aspects of our heroine's life, it makes no bones about the fact that she is fresh from a profoundly damaging experience, giving its humor a jet-black sensibility. How do they get away with it? The answer begins and ends with Ellie Kemper. She finds a razor-thin line between "childlike naiveté" and "badass big sister" and moonwalks across it, armed with an elastic face and bottomless resolve. In a just world, she's a mortal lock for the Emmy.
exaggerates?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bown posted:

Well. clearly I was thinking of a different post. There's definitely a post somewhere where someone goes into detail about how dark the last few episodes supposedly are (I remember it specifically talking about the joke where Kimmy doesn't know how to have sex normally).
No, I was agreeing with you. It was a joke. I was doing a joke, about how DP is known to exaggerate, and

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did someone say... lazy trolling?! Bring it in, boys!

*The endings to Korra, Lost, Battlestar, and the Sopranos all come in for a HUGE party*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Really? 30 Rock, Community and Hannibal are like the only scripted NBC shows in recent memory that anyone I know could give half a gently caress about.
Parks and Recreation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ravane posted:

Why are you posting random gifs? Is it so people will be tempted to hover over your post to read it?
Television is a visual medium.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Duke posted:

Is the Cougar Town finale coming up? I've kept watching but this season is kind of a snore. The lack of Bobby might have something to do with it. Doesn't really feel like it's building to anything :smith:
It's pretty clearly building to a reveal of who the first Cougar was that led to the creation of all the other Cougars.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Tudyk was a great straight man in Arrested Development.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked the Night Court reunion episode with the werewolf.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Night Court should be held in high esteem for its amazing theme song alone.
Hell yeah, it was super catchy.

Night Court
Law in the nighttime
Night Court
Having some good times
Night Court
Make a few friends
Night Court
Throw the bad guys in jail
[bridge]
We all live in this strange new Night Court
Escape the sunshine and live in the dark
Criminals and lawyers all live together
Make new friends and survive the night!
Night coooooourt!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I never pegged Joe
His girlfriend did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope they keep Jenny Clarkman on TV.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love the new 100 and I hope all our money looks like that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's an astonishing amount of great journalism out there. It's just not on TV.

• Locked thread