Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cool kids inc. posted:

Can't tell if you're being you or not, but that's not Donald Glover in the commercials. The actor in the preview is Luke Youngblood , who to be fair, is also on Community.

That actually makes slightly more sense, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The opening to Brooklyn 99 prompted more laughter than the whole hour of Galahant I watched tonight.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

PATRICK WILSON IS LOU SOLVERSON.

Also officially joining Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, and Jeffrey Donovan on Fargo season 2: Ted Danson, Jean Smart, Nick Offerman, Brad Garrett, Bokeem Woodbine, Angus Sampson, and Kieran Culkin. Details on their characters in the link above.

Holy poo poo I was hype as hell about season 2 based solely off of season 1 but THAT loving CAST.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon asked me to watch one of their upcoming pilots as part of the Amazon Previews program. I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say or not, but I will say that the show was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be--except for the extensive amounts of full frontal nudity. So, uh, there's that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys do realized they published part 2 of the list at midnight, right?

And here's a list of episodes that didn't make the, uh, list: http://www.avclub.com/article/best-sitcom-episodes-last-25-years-orphans-and-out-213497

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

Amazon asked me to watch one of their upcoming pilots as part of the Amazon Previews program. I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say or not, but I will say that the show was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be--except for the extensive amounts of full frontal nudity. So, uh, there's that.

The pilots are now up on Amazon, which means that I can now reveal that the show I was talking about is The New Yorker Presents. Not kidding.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hcreight posted:

In "Holy poo poo!" news, Fox is in talks with Chris Carter to bring back The X-Files. With Mulder and Scully.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

What could a Carter-run "new" X-Files do that the original X-Files run or Fringe didn't do better? Don't get me wrong, I will never fully turn my back on network sci-fi programing, but still, I can't really see the point.

Now if Fox decided to air the HD remastered version of the original during primetime... I'd be down for that. Or put them on Netflix at least. That'd be pretty baller.

hcreight posted:

New Twin Peaks. Possible new X-Files. Let's just bring back the 90s.

This but unironically. Seriously, Jerry and Larry, where the gently caress are my new Seinfeld episodes?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaggitz posted:

Malvo is like the best interpretation of the biblical devil, he's just this force of evil that twists people so casually and easily.

Don't get me wrong, Malvo was a fantastic character in one of, if not the goddamn best, shows that aired last year, but I highly suggest that you watch Barton Fink for the best representation of the Biblical Devil.

Or really any other Coen Brothers movie, actually. Dudes really love the "devil walking the world as a man" trope.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Sony also sells the "Playstation TV" for $99. Although that $99 is kind of a misnomer as you need a controller and those are sold separately from that SKU.

Amazon has the TV + Dualshock bundle for $99 currently. Not that I'm recommending that really, it's an absurd concept to spend $100 to watch one TV show. I mean, I guess it plays games too, but the good Vita games I know of rely on hardware that the PSTV lacks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bown posted:

So the book has eight chapters with eight narrators. I'm assuming each gets their own episode? That's pretty cool.

Does the pilot end on a cliffhanger where the slapee's family's kid gets punched?

I really hope the series is a bunch of escalations that results in the whole neighborhood getting burned down.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regarde Aduck posted:

For these modern times shouldn't the issue be whether it was ok to shoot the kid? Two to the body one to the head?

The kid isn't black, stand your ground doesn't apply.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Juice Box Doctrine.

"But he was wearing a jumper and carrying a Capri Sun and a Handi-Snacks!"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Looking over cnn's list of what's new on netflix this month and saw this: "Richie Rich" Season 1 (2015 Netflix original)

:catstare:

It's part of Netflix's "make a show for every genre ever" strategy. According to this Deadline piece it's basically a live-action Nick/Disney channel style live action teen sitcom. And they're actually changing the premise up a little bit, instead of the show being about a trust fund kid, Ritchie's actually a self-made millionaire this time around.

*shrugs* I mean, it's for the kids and it's gonna be a bit poo poo, but there are worse premises for shows out there. Netflix could have made "Cat With A Tumblr".

Actually, I'd probably watch Cat With A Tumblr. Once. And then never again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

Jesus loving Christ Backstrom just dropped a line that has absolutely no defense at all. He ends up meeting his ex, from the context a lawyer and his line is

"Why aren't you in Salem defending battered women from the men they annoy?"

loving hell I quit the episode right there. This show is complete irredeemable garbage.

I've only seen the first episode of Backstrom but I get the impression that you're not supposed to agree with the sentiment behind that line. Though to be fair, I've only watched the pilot because my wife found him to be such an annoying, terrible, irredeemable rear end in a top hat that she didn't have any desire to watch more.

I will give the show credit though, they certainly aren't going for the "rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold" cliche.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey let's stop talking about comic book shows you guys.

And start talking about video game shows instead. How does a live action Legend of Zelda show sound? Netflix apparently thinks it's a good idea.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I would submit that naming oneself after Deadpool, best known as a bad cameo on hit television show Arrow, is far more anime than watching AMERICAN show Legend of Korra. I mean after all, comic books. :smug:

Deadpool wasn't on Arrow, the notorious cameo was Harley Qui--oh this is a trap isn't it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And you think Rockford Files is cool
But there are some things
that you would change
if it were up to you
So think about your masterpiece
Watch the Rockford Files
Call to see if Paul can score some weed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last time the three of them were on a project together it was Clone High. I have some high hopes for LMOE.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

I've seen commercials for it, but never watched the show. I really wish it was about a crusading prosecutor who worked vampire crimes rather than the boring option of a vampire who is also a lawyer.

Right?

Also doesn't that show air on that Korean channel buried somewhere in the 600s on Comcast? I remember flipping through channels one day and SUDDENLY KPOP

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is a bleak show, but it's not completely overwhelming. There were a few truly tragic or sad moments (Jessie causing Jane to relapse, tarantula kid) but they're not frequent and when they do occur they're never cheap, events have real weight and influence subsequent episodes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

timp posted:

Maybe I'm just naive but the marketing angle didn't even occur to me, but that's probably because I have an iPhone and Macbook and use the programs they were using on a regular basis. I still think it was a really creative way to shoot an episode.

I don't think it's product placement, a recent episode had the eldest daughter holding her phone upside down when she was using it (though that is arguably an in-character thing to do). If Apple had that much control over the show, they would have probably made sure she was holding it correctly.

Apple didn't pay for product placement for the Secret Santa episode of The Office; in fact, they claim that they don't pay for product placement for anything. Instead, what they have is a consulting expert that probably hooks up set designers with free products. Think about how many times that you've seen MacBooks in use in TV shows--they almost always have the Apple logo covered up.

Finally, there's always the possibility that it's as simple as "we need a computer for this scene, Andy can we borrow your laptop?" and 99% of what people use in Hollywood are Apple products. That's why so, so many TV shows and movies that show people using headphones for things like wiretaps or other non-music uses show them using Sony MDR V6s--all the sound guys have them and probably toss an actor an extra pair to use for the scene.

As for the most egregious product placement, I'd say Microsoft is definitely guilty of that, from Felicity's Surface Pro on Arrow (though to their credit they did accommodate for some of the more egregious omissions from the hardware that any real hacker/IT professional would need, such as plugging in an USB ethernet adapter) to the episode of Suburgatory where Jane Levy gushes over the tablet's features for two minutes straight to the aforementioned NFL commentators using their Surfaces as iPad stands (which is kinda dumb, the Surface can more than serve what ever purpose they were using their iPads for, but I digress).

It's gotten to the point where I'm more impressed when a show doesn't have product placement, such as Person of Interest, which you'd think would be rife with them. On the other hand, I got my first cellphone (a Motorola Pebl) based on the fact that HRG on Heroes used one, so product placement does in fact work sometimes.

[Edit: Oh man I just remembered the episode of Community when suddenly everyone had new Droid Incredibles (only on Verizon!) for an episode for no explainable reason, despite Jeff being literally glued to his Blackberry for all previous and subsequent episodes.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 26, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I left the TV on the other day while I was doing something else and a rerun of The Night Shift came on. I can confirm that it is, quite possibly, one of the worst dramas ever. The medical case of the episode was a couple that had gotten a piece of rebar jammed into them while motorcycling. The woman got pierced through the front of her throat, while the guy got it jammed through his head in a fashion that somehow did not impair his motor functions or comprehension, but only meant that he could not feel pain.

Beyond the incredibly dumb case, there wasn't much to note about the show. Totally by-the numbers stuff. Halfway through, I turned off the TV simply because it wasn't even sufficient background noise--please note that I had left the TV on all the way through the garbage that is Inside Edition and Extra without caring enough to turn it off.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Last Man on Earth won ratings last night, with 2.3 and a 6 share, which held steady for the second episode. I bet the +3/+7 numbers bump it a bit, too.

Battle Creek is looking DOA, though. Did anyone watch it (I didn't)?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

So what caused the apocalypse in Last Man on Earth.

"A virus". That's all they gave, and I don't expect (or necessarily want) any more information then that. TLMoE isn't a Contagion-style warning show, it's a black comedy about what happens to a man who has the whole world (almost) to himself.

[Edit: and also Obamacare]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew that the people running NBC currently are idiots, but the fact that they passed on Kimmy Schmidt just further proves that point.

I'm three episodes in and each has had at least one dwarf joke and there's been a few Game of Thrones references along the way, which has been causing me to wonder if Jacqueline's husband isn't gonna be played by Peter Dinklage when he finally shows up.

Also the preacher that had them held captive in the basement was at the very least voiced by Alec Baldwin, I wonder if they managed to get him back at some point down the line.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I hope they don't decide to go all out with it just because it's Netflix. Going that way would add nothing to the show and would in fact probably hurt the atmosphere it's created more than anything. I don't know why anyone would be wanting to add cursing and all that to the show when it's perfectly fine the way it is. The cut away jokes are funny and would not have been any better if they could have cursed. I'd like to think we're all well beyond the point where we think cursing makes it sound cool and adult and all that.

Agreed. Cutting off or censoring swears can actually be preferable to people actually swearing, especially when it's done for comedy. The Middleman was the master of the "censored swear for a joke" gag.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

They didn't get Alec Baldwin.

They got the next best thing, maybe even better.

AAAAH Just got the episode where they reveal him!

Though I maintain that in the pilot Alec Baldwin voiced him because it sounded just like him :colbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe posted:

1) I know Netflix skips the recap and theme when they're at the very beginning of the episode, but not when they come after a teaser or opening scene (as they do in TUKS).

2) Because when you're binge watching a show, you don't need to hear the theme every god drat time.

Broken clock, etc.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JohnSherman posted:

How much of a presence is Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock? I've seen a couple episodes, and would like to watch it in earnest, but I've always been turned off by having to put up with someone as unfunny as Tracy Morgan.

Good news for you, Tracy Morgan probably isn't gonna be in anything anytime soon.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

While I'm not going to sit here and claim I didn't get a couple of laughs per episode, I found most of the humour to be grating or, how to put it, trying too hard? I normally agree with most of the consensus opinions voiced here but this was one of those occasions where I found myself thinking "Really? They're promoting this?!?" Anyway I have two or three episodes left and zero motivation to watch them so whatever, I'll be the voice in the wilderness for this one.

The episodes you haven't watched are where the darkness really comes out. If you want spoilers: The Reverend's trial starts, with the character affecting an "aw shucks" simple country lawyer attitude to win over everyone in the courthouse and the mole women aren't able to win over support for their case against him. It's played for laughs, but this is the guy who kidnapped four women, kept them underground for 15 years, abused and raped them, etc successfully convincing the rest of the town that he's the greatest man on earth.

It's pretty loving grim. Not the DARKEST SHOW EVER grim, but way darker than I thought the show would go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steven Universe has surpassed Gravity Falls this week for favorite animated show currently airing, and Gravity Falls had a fantastic mid season finale.

If you watched the first few episodes of SU and found it to be too childish, give it another try.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mo0 posted:

Steven Universe is the one that out of nowhere had some sort of trans allegory, right?

It was a bit more complicated than that, really. There was a lot going on in that episode.

I'm still not really sure how I interpret it. The trans reading is a valid one, but it's hardly the only one. It can also be read as an illustration of how people, when a couple, often behave as a single person (and often in ways they wouldn't behave by themselves). The episode also serves as an example of a male experiencing the male gaze from a female's point of view. It has a LOT to say about gender, but not in a heavy-handed or preachy way.

The episode in question is "Alone Together" if anyone's curious. I highly recommend it, but I'm sure if it works as a standalone episode.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ The latter.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 13, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bown posted:

Steven Universe is nuts and fantastic and the finale was loving incredible. I do feel bad that GF finally does something to excite me and then SU tops it three days later, but them's the breaks.

Also I still prefer Adventure Time to either although I think the format it has these days has a lot to do with that. SU is also a little too anime-y tbh, although it barely ever affects it in a negative way.

Tonight's episodes definitely upped the anime quota a decent amount.

And I know a lot of people have been hating on Adventure Time recently because of the direction it's taken but I still really enjoy it. The Diary I thought was especially good.

(I actually forgot about Adventure Time in my previous post. And Archer. gently caress, there's too much good animated television right now for me to really establish a "favorite show"... but I still think it might be SU).

[Edit: gently caress it, currently airing animated show rating:

1. Steven Universe
2. Gravity Falls (when it actually airs, which is pretty much never)
3. Adventure Time
4. Bob's Burgers
5. Archer

Honorable mention: Gumball, though I haven't watched it since November, so I can't really opine on the recent episodes.

And an all time animated show rating (must have aired at least three seasons/been cancelled prematurely):
1. Justice League ± Unlimited
2. Clone High
3. Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Adventure Time
5. Bob's Burgers

Honorable mention: Animaniacs, which almost placed 5th. Disqualified: Simpsons and Futurama, each for wearing out their welcome.]

[Second edit: Argh, forgot South Park. Trying to make ratings lists is hard and dumb.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FamDav posted:

greys anatomy just tried to make a suspenseful moment out of transferring a phonecall from one phone to another.

"i hope i dont screw this up"

As someone who had to transfer calls from drug addicts looking for help to people that would help them I can confirm the suspense.

Drug addicts get really upset when you gently caress up a call transfer.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

Steven Universe is practically an honorary anime in that its fans always go "seriously it's good even if you're not into anime" and then you watch it and it's terrible because it still has all the stuff in anime that you hate.

Things about anime I hate:

1. Fan service
2. Lazy shortcut/"Emoji" expressions (nosebleed, sweat drops)
3. Giant over the top battles with overpowered characters
4. Badly written female characters (go ahead, counter this example, I dare you)

Steven Universe has absolutely none of that.

I'm not saying SU doesn't have its roots in anime (christ, it's an Americanized magical girl shoujo) but to say that it has the bad qualities of anime is to be in denial about what makes anime bad.

Alternatively, it is possible to make an Americanized anime that features all of the above and still be very, very good. Avatar: The Last Airbender hits all those points except the last one. The Matrix hits all of them besides the second one.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 13, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you mean post examples of good female anime characters? Because the only ones I can think of all come from Cowboy Bebop.

Yeah I should've said "try and counter this without using Bebop or Miyazaki".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In non-animation chat (I'm not just a one trick pony), TiVo has acquired Aereo's assets. They didn't get the patents, but I'm kinda hoping that this means I'll be able to stream local channels over my phone without TiVo Stream (since TiVo can prove that I own, and use, an antenna).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 13, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

I like the anime Noir.

I hadn't heard of it before, it sounds pretty good. Too bad it's not on Netflix.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and take this bait, but I'm going to take it with the caveat that, assuming you even agree, this is one of those exceptions that proves the rule. But there's a show that's been running called Shirobako -- a slice-of-life workplace dramedy about five twenty-something girls working at the bottom rungs of the anime industry -- that's been killing it in this area. It plays a little like an Aaron Sorkin series without his Limousine Liberal condescension or his weird hangups about women, technology, or millennials. And anything you might hate about anime is only present in the shows-within-the-show, which you only get tiny glimpses of. If you have any tolerance for anime, keep an eye out for it.

Okay, I'm gonna go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Not gonna lie, I was kinda baiting in the hopes that people would recommend anime that has well written female characters. Seems to be working pretty well so far!

Looks like it's on Crunchyroll, I'll check it out.

[Edit: 8 minutes in and a character's jealous of another character's breast size. I mean, I guess that's a thing that happens, but to actively speak up about it? I dunno, that strikes me as pretty fanservicey. I'll keep watching, though.]

[Edit 2: Okay, second episode and they've realized "hey, we need to give the characters (in the show-within-the-show) personalities beyond bust size and blood type! And maybe it's okay if they show actual emotion!" which is pretty loving great. And I know understand why you compared it to the Newsroom.]

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's really not worth engaging with the cliche goon prejudice against anime, simply because it is the equivalent of trying to converse with people who would write off all scripted American cable TV based on the prevalence of Pawn Stars style 'reality' programming.

It's wilful ignorance proudly masquerading as some sort of superior taste.

Hey now, I've never said that I haven't watched anime with those qualities. poo poo, I've watched episodes of Rin: Daughters of Melodyne, Highschool of the Dead, even loving Queens Blade. It's just that I would never, ever try to say that those shows were anything more than just mindless, dumb entertainment (Rin actually did have some interesting things to say, and was very well animated, but so, so, so troublesome in a more than a few ways).

And the issues I mentioned are prevalent across all genres of anime, especially the fan service and badly written female characters. Saying that I'm being reductionist about anime is to be in denial about the issues inherent in anime.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

Its a category of TV aimed at someone definitely not me. I think its that easy, no need to draw it out.

That argument doesn't 100% work for me, though, because there's shows that I like the inherent concept of but it's the execution that ultimately fails. The storyline of the three series I mentioned in the last post are:

1: Two immortal women who work as private detectives whose story is told over the course of a couple hundred years
2: Highschoolers fighting off a zombie crisis
3: Warriors from across a country fighting to be crowned queen

Those are all concepts that should be really fascinating shows that offer insights, but are ultimately held back by what their audience wants (or demands) from the genre, and the creators are more than happy to give it to them. Again, Rin has a ton of potential (the female characters are from what I recall are pretty well written) but then again one's an eternal fourteen year old (ahyup) and the series' overall plot boils down to "powerful, smart women's ultimate purpose is being used for sex".

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread