Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

pentyne posted:

I'd like to petition to add Ravane and Irish Joe to rule 3.
People falling for Irish Joe is arguably the best part of Couch Chat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

My younger brother started watching Mad Men, so I guess there's hope for him yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Spatula City posted:

The Good Wife should've been a lot higher. But it's on CBS, rather than SA's favorite network, the CW, so there's no way 90% of the posters in this forum will ever watch it.
It is the least CBS show that CBS airs, though. It has procedural elements, but they're wedded to deep characterization, moral ambiguity, and an actual understanding of how modern technology works.
Person of Interest is in the top 10 though, so feel free to pretend we just got that mixed up with The Good Wife.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

What kind of sad person continues to post on message boards beyond their early 20s?
Well, 95% of those people are sad internet nerds that grew up on message boards and resent social media probably, so

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Technically it does, but the bottom has to be zoomed full size.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Someone should link EvilTobaccoExec a proper tutorial for cropping pictures in photoshop or gimp or whatever he uses. Now that you mention it, yes, it is off at least by a few pixels, and all the white space on the bottom is what?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I was bored on netflix and just rewatched the first episode of How I Met Your Mother and enjoyed myself, I actually felt pretty nostalgic. Back when I was watching the show for the first time I quit somewhere around halfway through season 5, it had felt like a chore to watch for quite a while.

Watching and enjoying the first episode again made me want to maybe try and go back and finish it out. This is a pretty generic question but does the show ever get good again?
Just watch the alternate ending they filmed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The alternate ending makes it more depressing because you know they not only considered it, they wrote it, shot it, then decided to stick to their guns about an ending they shot like 6 years ago and a plan they wrote in advance that never evolved with the show. Then again you could also argue the show didn't really evolve in those years where it just mostly dragged anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LibbyM posted:

So I know the very basic gist of the ending, that the mom is dead, and that's why Ted is telling the story of her to their children. Is there more to why everyone hates the ending so much, or just that it ended on that kind of note?

Eitherway I will check out the alternative ending after I watch the ending everyone hates.
There were a few years where HIMYM dragged, and I don't mean they just teased the bare minimum of the Mother arc, but the seasons itself weren't that great. They had their moments, some hilarious, some with real pathos, but it was like finding something shiny in a pile of crap.

And then the last season was kinda lame cause they spent the entire twenty-something episodes on a weekend for Barney and Robin's wedding only to basically undo it in the span of about five minutes in the finale anyway.

Not that I should be armchair showrunning, but it would've been more interesting had they introduced the Mother into the show/group dynamic halfway through the series, maybe have her also butt-in on the voice overs which could've been an interesting storytelling dynamic as well, and would just have more material to mine with a new cast member, different interactions and all that. I did like what they did show of the Mother in the final season but it just goes to show it seemed like a waste to throw it all away.

Also yeah it's kinda stupid for Ted to tell kids the story about how he met their mother, barely mention the mother of your children as if those 15 or so years didn't matter at all and focus on one of your friends you had an on-again-off-again relationship for a decade and talk about loving her and constantly being in love with her ... to your children.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

The punchline is that after half a decade of armchair television writing experts declaring LOST and BSG to be Objectively Terrible because they didn't have a set ending in mind and adapted the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run, they turned around and complained that the ending to HIMYM was terrible because they had a set ending in mind and they didn't adapt the plot as the circumstances surrounding the show changed over its run.
Who knew that ruining a TV series was the only true constant in life?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Spartacus ending was :black101: as gently caress and almost made me cry with the final scene.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well Joe is not wrong that some shows should just learn to end it on a good note and let them sail off into the sunset. Maybe close a few things off but I much prefer shows that know they should end on "and they had more adventures after this", although to be fair that's what most shows that get canceled end up having to do anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Not prestige, not trash: The rise of “mid-reputable” TV

So how about those "prestige shows". The label makes me want to throw up in my mouth sometimes. I like "prestige" shows but I don't really watch them for the sake of pretending to be cultured or anything.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

No most stuff on TV is garbage.
I think it depends on who you ask.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

Can't we just call it a "good show" then like we always have instead of some stupid goddamn term some internet columnist poo poo out?
I don't think the problem lies with more hardcore TV watchers, it's about convincing casual viewers that Arrow/Flash/Person of Interest/The 100/Spartacus/etc. is worth watching while no one is calling them "prestige". It's like an after-effect of the lovely Hollywood/Oscar effect where people think they only want the best of the best without knowing what they like, so they hop on the liberal intelligentsia bandwagon without really questioning why they actually think they like Mad Men or Homeland (lol) or The Wire.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Liberal intelligentsia bandwagon? Did I just stumble onto the set of Fox News?
No, I am pretty liberal myself but I do question if people who say, watch Mad Men because everyone else that they share values (liberal middle class is usually tied to MM viewers) with does it too, and not because they actually like it on their own merits. Watching prestige television for prestige television sake feels like the current cultural version of keeping up with the Joneses.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rarity posted:

So are we just going to use the Agents of SHIELD thread for Agent Carter? Cause if so I'll knock up a different OP and edit it in tomorrow.
What you mean there isn't going to be a separate and devoted thread filled with pictures of Hayley Atwell?

That sounds disappointing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's more cool to pretend buzzfeed is just a listicle site and has no intelligent merit :reddit:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah but you get to see Olmos' wife topless at least.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I think YouTube is getting more lax in their copyright enforcement, somebody also uploaded every episodes of The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoPJBhdVOE
is it wrong that I actually counted to see if it was actually all 500 episodes?

Also 10 minutes? That seems wrong unless they were playing at double speed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Nah, now the hivemind thinks that Serial was never good and Sarah Koenig is a hack because it didn't miraculously solve a real-life murder mystery in 12 episodes.
That's because redditors actually believe they can be real life detectives via internet detective-ing people and not actually caring about the law, because reddit hates the police, etc., etc.. This could go on for a while but yeah :reddit:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I think NBC wants you to learn about Jesus or something. Or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSO8meL1sE

This could go terribly wrong or be halfway decent. But it's NBC, so let's not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bown posted:

Battle Creek is a pilot Gilligan wrote over a decade ago that they dug out of CBS archives because he's a big name now. I don't think he's actually involved in any way?
I thought David Shore was gonna be in charge of it so maybe it'll be a halfway decent procedural.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Procedurals can be fine, people sometimes place way too much emphasis on wanting plot twists vomited all over them for an hour to make them think they're watching something important or revelatory. Originality is overrated anyway, or at least non-existent.

You can also play procedurals differently if you want, but most don't. But that's not to say they all suck. I mean, all the CSIs and NCISs went on for some long for good reason. And Castle didn't last this long without being enjoyable at some level. People who like "serialized" television just value different things.

Almost all modern TV shows are formulaic, period. Procedurals are just a little more predictable is all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Pedantry for pedantry's sake: procedurals are episodic

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

He was the guy in Robin Hood, the sheriff's right hand man. What's his name, Guy of Guiseborne or however it's spelled.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Eddie Huang on Fresh Off the Boat - first his memoir, now a sitcom on ABC.

This gives me some hope the show will actually be good. Has good talent behind it and he seems to be pushing pretty hard to keep his vision in it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

After I'd given up on Heroes, I heard that Bryan Fuller went back to it (Pushing Daisies had just been cancelled) and then left almost immediately because he decided it was impossible to salvage anything from it by that point. Any truth to that?
Possibly. But I do remember when his episodes in like late in season 4 showed up they were actually good. And then he either stopped consulting or something and it immediately became poo poo again.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

It ranges from good to great. There are no real 'bad' episodes. I also think it will stand the test of time because if you're spoiled on the ending of the show - it's the journey getting there that makes it great. It never once feels like the show/creators don't know what they're doing.
Well I mean, some people's opinions are really divided on Fly.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

Don't think I saw this posted, probably the most unnecessary spin-off in television history.

That's right a Dexter spinoff- starring DEXTER!
http://www.avclub.com/article/showtime-has-great-idea-dexter-spinoff-about-dexte-213899

:fuckoff:
Jeez Showtime, just loving uncancel the show, bring Scott Buck and friends back to make it and continue the lovely trainwreck. Don't pretend like a spinoff is gonna be a thing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wow, live musical fad continues. Fox is doing Grease.

old dog child posted:

Is Fresh off the Boat supposed to be Blackish for Asian people? It doesn't...feel that way, at least from the commercials. :ohdear:
It's supposed to be closer to Everybody Hates Chris I think. Eddie Huang is doing VO's while someone else plays a kid version of him and his family in the 90s.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

old dog child posted:

Oh that sounds a lot better. I didn't even realize it was based on Eddie Huang's actual life, I thought that was a coincidence, haha. My initial worry was that it looked like that American Dad episode where Francine had that "White Rice" sitcom. The advertising makes it look like an "Asians are so different!! Haha look at their food, it's so weird!!" kinda show. Reading about the concept and a couple interviews gives me hope that this won't suck.

This article (by Eddie, actually) expresses my main concerns but at the same time it's a sitcom on ABC so I know I shouldn't expect a documentary. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/fresh-boat-author-explains-controversial-comment-article-1.2078094
Nahnatchka Khan is writing for it, and I'm glad because I know she doesn't pull any punches (American Dad, Apt 23), but there is some truth in what Eddie wanted for the show, but at the same time, it's the second Asian-American sitcom on network TV ever, so you can't just go full-barrel "hey lemme tell you about the time I saw non-Asian titties" without really getting people comfortable having a full east Asian cast on screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a lot of material out of his memoir but it would take some canoodling to get it for network TV. Plus he seems to have a renewed and vested interest (hopefully) as the series continues, so hopefully his voice (not VO) comes through. I mean, if the pilot has a scene where another minority kid calls a Chinese kid a chink I think it's probably gonna go places.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

The goony love for Enjer Govkai will never cease to amaze me. Granted, he is an amazing actor next to Eliza Dukushku, but, let's be honest here, that's not exactly a huge accomplishment.
Well to be fair his goodwill from Dollhouse is kinda fading off for me because he just finds himself doing pretty mediocre roles and guest spots since then.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The original was in French, but it's the same director. There's a few minor changes made for the English cast but all in all it's a straight adaptation. They made some more changes in the episode for stuff they couldn't get through in the French-Canadian version because that broadcaster vetoed it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

KatWithHands posted:

I came here specifically to see if anyone else had watched that. What a terrifying 45 minutes of television. 19-2 has this great use of sound, whether through mood music, a lack of music, or a lack of sound at all. They didn't use any background music until about 36 minutes into the episode, after it had been resolved, and I think that made it seem that much more realistic.

Normally I burn out pretty quick on consistently dark shows, but 19-2 hasn't lost me yet.
I watched it in a theatre, that made the excellent soundwork even more obvious. The shots where it goes mute but you can hear the gunshots through the reactions freak me out every time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

That's the problem though. They sacrificed clarity and coverage, and all they got in return was a fairly dull shot.

This episode of Flashpoint covers a similar situation and does it in a far more interesting way, mostly because cutting allowed them to keep the tension up.

You could argue the camera isn't supposed to be following the shooter but the first responders POV, which makes the lack of clarity the point that sequence.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Fair warning, 19-2 isn't actually a gritty cop action show, most of the time it's more of a character drama, with some melodrama/soap-ish stuff attached. But their action stuff is pretty well done nonetheless.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

There's a time and a place where a show can be steeped in subtext and all that.

Galavant is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Couldn't you feasibly do something ala the style of Manhattan but with bioengineers and just have the first season end on a zombie viral outbreak? There, solved it.

(not really)

• Locked thread