Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I always thought Jamie Kennedy was kind of harmlessly devoid of talent and somehow kept getting comedy specials, and then I saw that coke-fueled new years special he hosted. That was... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Really stretching it to call Louie a sitcom. Love the show but... yeah.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bown posted:

It's amazing to me that anyone managed to watch that show for long enough for that to even happen.

I dropped it after four also, but knowing there's a definite turning point in quality is a good incentive to watch, and I didn't totally hate it at the beginning, it was just kind of bearably mediocre and I liked enough of the character interactions to pick it back up when I could binge through on Netflix. It payed off well since the last third of season 1 and all of season 2 have just been ball-out fun and it's turned into an actual proper spy/action thriller.

(Also being a big fan of Hickman's Secret Warriors is great since they take a lot of inspiration from that particular comic run. It's almost like a sneaky re-imagining of it in a television format.)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 22, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't think any show nailed the MOTW format as well as X-Files did, in its early seasons at least.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Spartacus is coming up on Netflix. Watch this amazing show from the beginning (well, maybe the second episode).

Oh, finally. It was on netflix maybe a year or two ago and got taken down a few days after I committed to watching it, so I'm pretty excited.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The first season is campy monster fun with small hints of a future story arc. There's maybe 2 episodes that are painful to get through, at the worst really there's stretches of mediocrity in there. I'd watch it all the way through though cause a lot of the series builds on the groundwork of season 1's monster mythology.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pinwiz11 posted:

True Blood is a hell of a lot of fun, but was only ever 1-2 great seasons. The problem is that most people can't agree what those seasons are. (Seasons 3 and 5)

Yeah haha, personally I thought it was consistently entertaining from 2-4, but it never got outright bad until the last one. If you like crazy soapy plots, unnecessary amounts of gore and tits, and hilarious one liners, you can do a lot worse than True Blood.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Vampire Diaries goes into a crazy plot roller coaster once it gets past the first 6 episodes of being Twilight-light, but unfortunately kind of fizzles out once they realize they can't maintain that momentum forever and re-focuses back on the boring romantic poo poo. It has an excellent 2-3 seasons though if you can stomach the kind of typical CW pretty people casting. At one point I had hopes for it being a Buffy successor but it kind of ended up wasting its potential.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Its been 12 years since Buffy was cancelled. Everybody who is old enough to be a Buffy fan should have long outgrown the desire to watch high schoolers do anything.

Sorry, I like watching trashy TV. I love you Teen Wolf

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Somewhere up there, Katsulas and Nimoy are having a smoke together and laughing at us poor saps. Guess it's time for a TOS rewatch.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Make Darin Morgan write them all and let Carter write none.

Basically this. I don't trust Carter not to gently caress this up.

Man, with X-Files and Twin Peaks returning, are we hitting peak 90s nostalgia yet?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Weirdly enough, Arrow's Stephen Amell has decided to make his own web series about his side venture winery called "Dudes Being Dudes in Wine Country."

This better have shirtless training montages.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CobiWann posted:

Eh, I think Hannibal has a leg up on that title.

I see what you did there

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Blah, Looking got cancelled. I really wasn't expecting it to get picked up for another season though. I was pretty impressed in how it addressed complaints about the first season in its lack of representation from other aspects of the LGBT community and the character assassination of one of its leads, this season has just been fantastic. It gets a special to wrap up too, though I thought it did a decent job in the finale with how it left the characters at largely optimistic points in their life.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ok I love Amanda Tapping on SG-1 as much as any other Stargate fan does but she hasn't exactly done anything memorable enough outside of Stargate to make me go out of my way and watch an episode of some crappy show that she directed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think Sirens is creeping up next to Brooklyn 99 as my favorite comedy on the air. This season's been pretty outstanding and they really worked out the kinks with the writing from early season 1.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hey, it's no Mindy Project intro at least.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

less laughter posted:

Welp, this is pretty surprising: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/vampire-diaries-nina-dobrev-leaving-786529

I haven't watched that show in years, but it's a bit like when Zach Braff left Scrubs or when Topher Grace left That '70s Show.

What's next, Scandal continuing without Kerry Washington?

TVD is just under Supernatural in the 18-49 demo, I'm pretty sure the showrunners are gonna keep that train going as long as humanly possible. How they're going to do is interesting since the show is built on that insufferable love triangle that Nina Dobrev is in the center of. Too bad she's the best actress they have on the show though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Doesn't she play like 3 characters on that show?

Yeah, and any number of variations of her character Elena. Basically the show's mythology is built on the fact that a curse keeps on propagating doppelgangers of the original for generations. Probably the best moment of the show is at the season 1 finale when you find out the mysterious Katherine who the Salvatore brothers originally fell in love with is still alive centuries later and has been manipulating since the beginning, and is impersonating Elena to gently caress everything up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Is it really doing that well? I thought the ratings were meh.

AoS is growing in ratings, last episode doing well enough to nearly catch up to NCIS., last week beating all original programming in its time slot.

More importantly, the storylines running through the second season have gone from peripheral to being pretty loving integral to future MCU movies.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 9, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

raditts posted:

Can't be worse than ABC running an hourlong version of an Ellen Degeneres talk show bit that used to be a Letterman bit and probably someone else before him.

I've never seen the Goldbergs but god that host is just unbearable. I have to mute it when I'm waiting for AoS to start up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

It's not like Ryan Murphy's taking over the show. People crying about getting a second season of Daredevil is like the apex of entitled TV fan whining.

I kind of hate that you're making me imagine Ryan Murphy's Daredevil now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Did we time travel back to April 1? Cause... what the hell is that pitch.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

USA has canceled Sirens. :(

what

gently caress

no

edit: I was really looking forward to Brian and Billy's roommate adventures next season :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

soapgish posted:

I loved NIKITA but the finale was atrocious, one of the absolute worst eps in the show, exacerbated by the penultimate episode being possibly the series' best.

I've never finished season 3 :( I don't think I ever got over Sean biting the dust, and Michael's missing hand angst.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

cultureulterior posted:

A Myst TV show. I'm intrigued.

Oh my god yes

quote:

Evan Daugherty (writer of Snow White and the Huntsman, Divergent and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) handling the script and Matt Tolmach (who's responsible for the most-recent Spider-Man movies and the upcoming Sinister Six) producing.

ahhhh hmmm I don't know

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AVclub should just get rid of their pointless grading system and eliminate all the comment bitching about review and community grades. Maybe that'll get them to focus on actual good reviews.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Naw I"m pretty sure their constant back-referencing meme circlejerk comments would generate enough views

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The FOX executive at the time, Kevin Reilly, was also a big fan of Fringe and championed it despite low ratings, giving it repeat chances in time slots where it could build an audience. It pretty much came down to the fact that it was too expensive to keep producing to justify another season.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yep. It wasn't a perfect show, but it had some great ideas and always committed to them, even if the execution wasn't the best.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AoS has come so far. The finale was basically a small movie entry.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Hmmm so how did they get rid of Nina Dobrev on TVD last night?

Also: Scandal fell off a cliff huh. I only saw the first season, what's going on that's so bad?

I've got half a season to catch up to (maybe), but from skimming reviews it seems Kai comes back after Elena takes the human cure, links her into something like magical cryogenic stasis to Bonnie where as long Bonnie is alive, Elena won't wake up. This is all to spite Damon or something but of course is too stupid to realize that Damon can just wait out Bonnie's natural life to be with Elena, and kills Kai. Of course given how often Bonnie dies, this might not be very long at all.

edit: beaten

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thank you Hulu. I guess I'll have to actually use you now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spartacus - Whore. Holy gently caress. Why did I put off watching this show so long?

Ugh how is Lucy Lawless so good at everything

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 20, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Irish Joe is Dr. Chilton

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh no, he's going to eat the NBC execs

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I had to pace myself to wait a few days per episode when going through season 1. There's only so much beautiful grisliness and bombastic imagery I can take in one sitting.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks thread, went to a Popeyes for the first time in 5 years or so. Still drat good, service is still as poo poo as I remember it being. 10 minutes to get chicken strips, really?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Andrew_1985 posted:

Anyone else watching Teen Wolf? It's back - teenier & wolfier than ever!

I enjoy it because it's similar in tone to early Buffy.

I forgot it was starting up. Honestly I was pretty bummed hearing about more casting losses and last season being kinda meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

The term "one-man show" is usually used for irredeemable off-off-broadway garbage where an actor who isn't good enough to get cast in anything stages the production themselves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIemgzJaR1s is an example of what is expected of a "one-man show." Kelsey Grammer's Abraham Lincoln production on 30 Rock is another good example, but it isn't proving as easy to find a nice clip of compared to Jack 2000.

Edit: autocorrect made "Grammer" into Grammar.

Ugh Will and Grace would have been watchable if there were no Will and Grace in the show

• Locked thread