Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This is the year.
This is the year I'll finally watch Breaking Bad and The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just saw a commercial for SHIELD's "Agent Carter." Could be interesting.

I guess the show got greenlit based on the short that was on the DVD of one of the Marvel movies. It was pretty good, but who knows if they'll be able to keep it up over an entire series.
It helps that she is a more interesting character than all of the characters on AoS combined.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Are you watching The Wire or Breaking Bad yet?

No, my wife wants to get caught up on Supernatural first. I have 364 days, get off my back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sober posted:

Well, 95% of those people are sad internet nerds that grew up on message boards and resent social media probably, so

Why can't I be a sad internet nerd that grew up on message boards and is at worst indifferent about social media?

Ravane posted:

Ah gotcha. Also, Annakie is a girl.

I heard that Galavant's first season was going to be really short. Like it's only going to be four episodes or something and it's finishing in a single month. Do they want this show to die?

I like the idea of it and will watch Lassiter in pretty much anything, but ABC burning it off two episodes at a time in January doesn't speak of high confidence.
That, and the only two other TV musicals I can think of are Cop Rock and Viva Laughlin, so there's not really a good pedigree for the genre.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Really, though, all you need to do is take a look at the guest stars to get really hyped for Galavant.

Below the line for those who care:
Ricky Gervais, Rutger Howard, Donald Glover and John Stamos.

Weird Al is also guest starring, which I guess is either good or bad depending on how you feel about him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Hey guys, did you know Back to the Future 2 took place in 2015? Where are all the hoverboards, am I right? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Maybe we should see if we can get that video posted once on every page from here out.

Throw in the "this is the day Marty McFly went into the future" meme and you've got a deal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

It goes downhill in season 4, and then improves in the last season until it pisses on you in the final episode.

The last season is actually pretty bad too, "improving" after the previous seasons is a pretty low bar to clear.

zoux posted:

Buffy should've ended at season five.

I won't say Supernatural should've but it could've just fine.

Supernatural had a couple of real shitawful seasons after 5 but I just finished watching season 9 on Netflix and it's the first time in a while that I'm actually looking forward to watching the next season. I think they have the potential for ending it better than season 5 if they stop spinning their wheels with brotherly "you lieeed to meeeee / no you lied to meeeeee" drama and Sam and Dean taking turns dying at the end of each season.

That ending hosed me up because I didn't know it was supposed to be the last one and there was no C&H in the next week's paper :smith:

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 5, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wouldn't "mid-reputable" TV just be "most stuff that's on TV"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

No most stuff on TV is garbage.

When ever we go "Dudes, x-show is legit good" that's a "mid-reputable show".

Can't we just call it a "good show" then like we always have instead of some stupid goddamn term some internet columnist poo poo out?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Or, more accurately, "a show I like" because calling drek like Arrow and Sleepy Hollow "good shows" is just begging for an argument.

Have we all not figured out at this point that what people post about "good" and "bad" TV shows on the internet is a matter of opinion, or do we have to be on full-autist mode all the time?

Irish Joe posted:

I wouldn't consider anything from the last few seasons of Quantum Leap "good," but the finale is an excellent example of how to construct a satisfying ending with no closure. I know the current generation has an immature need for everything to be wrapped up in a neat little package, but life is messy, and you don't always get the closure you want. When you break up with your girlfriend, she doesn't immediately die in a fiery car accident. The coworker you hated for years wasn't blown up in 9/11. And the president doesn't award you the Medal of Valor for posting a sick burn on Twitter. Sometimes 'and they kept doing what they've always done' is more realistic and more satisfying than any of the contrived finales people like to mention (Breaking Bad, Seinfeld, etc).

I agree with this in theory, but they did a pretty sloppy job of it. They could have at least spelled his name correctly in the ending cards.
Also, text cards are pretty much the worst way to end any TV show.

...in my opinion.

The Nastier Nate posted:

My wife is watching Celeberity Apprentice and I cannot state enough how consistently I am disappointed in this show. It's such a great premise and I genuinely loved the 1st season of the non-celebrity apprentice, but once you throw "celebrities" into the mix, all the challenges throw business acumen out the window and it becomes about who can beg their celebrity friends for the most money.

The other problem is that at some point after the first season, NBC figured out they could make dump trucks of money by having half the challenges be about promoting some company. Which is why they are so many "create an advertising campaign for -".

I hear the British Apprentice is pretty good...

The Apprentice has never been anything other than an hour long vanity commercial for Donald Trump and Donald Trump's properties.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

timp posted:

This was posted in GBS but I feel like it will be appreciated here too.

69 TV intros re-imagined by forums poster RaceFat thread / YouTube Playlist

They're listed on the playlist in the order they were written and they get better as they progress. Still, I'd recommend just picking a show you recognize and going from there. My personal favorites are True Detective, The Americans, Doug, and The West Wing, but they're all great in their own way.

I've looked at a couple and I don't see any way they could be considered "great." Is this like an "ironic" thing or...?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

Fake alternate TV intros are a meme as old as YouTube. There were some good ones back in the day but they had actual effort and creativity involved.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but these don't even seem to be trying to be funny or good or anything so I'm kind of at a loss here.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Giving SyFy control of the lights in my house does sound like a terrific idea. Yes indeed.

Obviously they're not literally letting the people at a TV network control their lights. It's probably like a pre-programmed thing you can install on your phone that works with those Hue lights that's timed to change the lights in sync to the TV show. Gimmicky as hell, but kind of interesting, and almost nakedly an advertisement for the Hue thing.

edit: In fact, that sounds like exactly what it is. Here's a clip from a less lovely and clickbaity article:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150105006323/en/Syfy-Philips-Pioneer-World-TV-Entertainment-12#.VKwP7ivF-B4

quote:

Starting with the series premiere on Friday, January 16 at 9pm ET/PT, 12 Monkeys fans who pair the Syfy Sync app for phones and tablets with Philips Hue bulbs while watching the program will be treated to a specially designed “light track” – marrying the action on the screen to the lighting in your room – which will add a heightened engagement through a more immersive viewing experience. When combined, the app will detect audio cues from 12 Monkeys and translate them to the Web-enabled Hue system. Fans will then be enveloped in the onscreen action through ambient lighting effects designed to engage viewers in an entirely unique way.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That Castle/Mannix one is loving brilliant.

Yeah, these clearly have effort put into them and are worth crossposting, that other guy not so much.

Bown posted:

Game of Thrones 1995 will always be the best one of these.

http://youtu.be/2fPgIIB67bw

Zaggitz posted:

Hahahaha I'm getting flashbacks to Highlander tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCGJ5rfe24 have my obligatory PoI version of those.

These are also loving fantastic.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why I thought Star Wars was stupid, because they didn't curse like normal Earthlings despite Earth not existing in that universe. And I completely expect people from a planet called Caprica to curse exactly the same way as people from Earth, despite not having the same historical background and language basis. :smuggo:

And you don't find it strange that everybody in the galaxy just happens to speak English?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Cox Communications is in a fee dispute with my local ABC affiliate. What's the best way (if any) to bypass this standoff legally?

...an antenna?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

I cannot believe that this show is actually happening and isn't just some internet wide Onion joke.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/john-travolta-joins-american-crime-story-people-v-oj-simpson-20150107

The roles don't come in for Travolta like they used to, eh?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one watching Empire, so... it is a pretty bad show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the complaint.

Well, they're largely two poo poo tastes that taste lovely together, so no reason not to keep them quarantined to a single thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sophia posted:

If you're going to watch a procedural ever you should definitely pick one on CBS because they have it down to a total science. Even the ones that are dumb (NCIS) are really watchable.

Don't believe these lies, NCIS is a really bad show. Unless she is suggesting shows that are so forgettably formulaic that you can tell 90% of what's going to happen in an episode without ever actually watching it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Like 90% of the shows on television are loving "procedurals" if your definition is "plot is mostly self-contained to a single episode with maybe a couple of plot threads that extend to later episodes."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm just waiting for CSI: Superhuman Syber Squad or whatever they're calling the spinoff that had that hilariously bad backdoor pilot a year or two ago.

sbaldrick posted:

Do people like Jane the Virgin, maybe I just didn't get it but it just didn't feel natural.

It seems to be well received in TVIV at least and it got a second season so I assume people are watching it. I'm with you though, I couldn't make it through a single episode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 13, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mo0 posted:

Nope, but we sure as heck wish it was

Look at that fuckin' cast list, Patricia Arquette, James Van Der Beek, and Peter MacNicol all deserve better

I don't wish it was, it's our only hope for a scene dumber than NCIS's infamous "2 Idiots 1 Keyboard".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

He was Thorin (the head dwarf) in The Hobbit movies.

Was he really? I didn't recognize him, but it's been a lot of years since that cheeseball Robin Hood show was on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just noticed that G4 has finally drifted away from my cable provider's lineup. RIP G4, may 5-year-old reruns of Web Soup sing thee to thy rest.

I noticed it because I noticed that Esquire Channel has nothing but a marathon of the '70s Incredible Hulk show, followed by a marathon block of The Getaway, followed by infomercials to finish their broadcast day. Why were they in such a hurry to kill off two stations that at least seemed to have enough programming to fill out a day, only to replace them with a network that has like 3 original shows, none of which are anything I think of when I think "Esquire"?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, is there a show like The Layover? I loved that show.

It's not really like The Layover but it is a fun show. They follow a minor celebrity - some of the ones in season 1 were Joel McHale, Aziz Anzari, and Seth Meyers (and the twin brother he apparently has) - around for a week at some world location. I like it better than most of Bourdain's shows because you don't have to deal with Bourdain's know-it-all narration and general douchery.

If you need your Bourdain fix you've still got Parts Unknown on CNN, which seems more like No Reservations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bown posted:

That happened on a British music show called Top of the Pops but I don't know about SNL.

What did Martin Lawrence say? Wiki just says it was something about "feminine hygiene".

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93nmono.phtml

Martin Lawrence posted:

Something else concerns me and it hurts, see I'm, I'm single, I'm a single man, I don't have nobody, I'm looking for somebody and- but I'm meeting a lot of women out there, and you got some beautiful women, but you got some out there that, uh, I gotta say somethin'. Um... some of you are not washing your rear end properly.* (laughter & applause) OK? Don't- don't get me wrong, not all, some of you, you know what I'm sayin', uh... I'm sorry, 'Cause uh, listen, now, I don't know what it is a woman got to do to keep up the hygiene on the body I know, uh, I'm watching douche commercials on television, and I'm wonderin' if some of you are reading the instructions. I don't think so. Y'know, 'cause I'm getting with some of the ladies, smelling odors, going "Wait a minute. (gestures with index finger) Girl, smell this! This you! Smell yourself, girl."

Smell yourself! I tell a woman in a minute, douche! douche! Some women don't like when you tell them that, when you straightforward with them. "Douche!" They, (imitating woman) "Forget you! You cannot douche all the time, you're gonna wash all the natural juices out the body." I say, well, I dont give a drat what you do, put a Tic-Tac in your rear end. Put a Cert in your rear end. Oh, oh, y'know, this look like a good drat place for a Stick-up up in your rear end.

I'm sorry, y'all. You got to wash properly. You know, and then, you know, 'cause I'm a man, I like to kiss on women, you know, I like to kiss all over their bodies, you know. But if you're not clean in your proper areas I can't... you know... kiss all over the places I wanna kiss. You know, some women'll let you go down, you know what I'm sayin', knowin' they got a yeast infection. (Some audience disgust) I'm sorry. Sorry. Come up with dough all on your drat lip... Got a bagel and a croissant on your lip. "Anybody got any butter?" I like jelly on mine.

Well look here, y'all, we got a great show for you tonight, cause I'm here. (Cheers and applause) That's right. I'm here, Crash- yo, yo! Crash Test Dummies are here so yo, we'll be back, hang on, we gonna be back, we gonna do our thing!

(removes shirt and conducts martial arts moves)

Somehow, Martin Lawrence's popularity was among the least strange things about the '90s.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Seams posted:

AV Club sure do a lot of lists these days.

Well, they don't have much in the way of worthwhile content anymore.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So I'm 4 episodes in to Breaking Bad now... I don't know why I waited so long to watch this, probably because my wife actively does not want to watch it. Does it just get better from here, or are there any rough spots later on that I should be expecting?

Also, is there something that Skyler does at some point that brought the rage of the internet down upon her, or was that all just a case of Internet Males being Internet Males? That's pretty much the only thing I knew about any of the characters beforehand. She seems a bit naggy I guess, but it's not as though it's at all unwarranted. Hank is the only one that strikes me as a major shitlord so far, I don't like that guy at all.

Aphrodite posted:

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

The narrative being that Ted is a humongous piece of poo poo?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It was a lovely "gotcha" kind of thing to ask in the first place. He might as well have asked if he'd stopped beating his wife yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

If a literal half hour toy commercial only rates 4, I have to assume that the only things that score 5 are infomercials.

The Super Mario Super Show was nowhere near the level of "toy cartoon" that say, the Pokemon cartoon is. I have no idea what it's like now because holy poo poo that cartoon has been on for like 18 years now, but I remember back when it started it was basically an animated walkthrough for Red/Blue and they would just straight up spout out Pokemon stats at times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Except 1) the pregnancy noticeably aged her and 2) The X-Files metaplot was dumb and dragged down the series.

I don't really agree with the first, but I thought everyone agreed universally with the second.
I'm not really excited about this or Twin Peaks coming back, it seems like trying too hard to recapture lightning in a bottle and I feel like they were both products of their time. There's no shortage of supernatural monster-of-the-week shows these days, what would be the point?

Ravane posted:

Never actually watched the X-files, thought it was about ghosts actually. Season 9 appears to have come out when I was 10, it's understandable why I never watched it. Might catch the reboot though.

Oh shut the gently caress up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

Was The X-Files the start of the "every genre show must have a big, mysterious, twisty-turny mythology arc" or is the credit/blame more justly assignable to Lost?

I mean, of course The X-Files did it first, but is it the one everyone tries to emulate?

Definitely Lost. Despite X-Files leaning more on its lovely mythology toward the end, it still maintained its strength in its self-contained episodes. And I don't remember any shows that tried to piggyback off X-Files narrative structure, whereas when Lost hit it big you couldn't change the channel without running into another terrible serialized me-too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Yes in the Siffy sense that BSG was a one-off miniseries. If Sc-fi follows their practiced MO, it'll be about 136 Monkeys, 3 Gorillas, 8 web-capuchins and in the end be that monkey from outbreak, not George Cloony, the other one.

And that sucks, I just came here to post that I just noticed somehow that it had reunited Linc and Michael from Prisonbreak. They are one step closer to space prison now. :3:

The Flash did it first.

They got broken out of the van going to the prison.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The 100 is actually pretty bad. I watched the first 5-6 episodes and they were bad, and I left the TV on after Arrow tonight and watched it and it was still bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well, why don't you give me a number for how many episodes of lovely television I need to watch to make an acceptable judgment.
Also, if IMDB is anything to go by it looks like the first season was 13 episodes, and going by the descriptions I apparently watched up to episode 9, so I watched at least half of it.

Bown posted:

You have to understand that the people who talk about how great CW shows are are the same people who think everyone in Cinema Discusso is a pretentious idiot and that Winter Soldier was one of the best movies of last year.

(nah you're all aite)

To be fair, Winter Soldier was a good movie and there's no shortage of assholes in CD.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 22, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

HEY HOW ABOUT YOU NOT POST IF YOURE GOING TO INSULT THE SHOWS I LIEK

YOU FUYCKER

I'm sorry I never looked at it this way :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VDay posted:

How about just, oh I don't know, not making a "Hey this thing I barely watched loving sucks, hth" post?

Watching 1/2 - 2/3 of a season for a show that's been on for 1-1/2 seasons is "barely watched", okay.

IRQ posted:

I don't know, how many episodes of Arrow or Flash did you need to watch? Don't you also watch Supernatural?

I fundamentally disagree with your premise in the first place; The 100 just isn't lovely tv, it's at least as good as the other good stuff on the CW and better than a lot of it. But hey, like what you like I guess.

e: I'm not going to math what you saw or didn't, holy poo poo you just hate it ok man.

I don't hate it, I just think it's a bad show, stop projecting and working yourself into a frothy rage.
I will freely admit to watching bad shows (most of them in common with you, in fact), but I'm sure not going to hold them up as some masterpiece of television and flip out on anyone who just plain thinks they're bad. I think The 100 has bad acting and squanders its premise, it could be post-apocalyptic Lord of the Flies but it felt more like post-apocalyptic Dawsons Creek, and it seemed like the characters were more focused on their high school Teenager Problems like "does the cute boy like me" than the fact that they were in the middle of the loving wilderness with limited supplies, no backup, and a tribe of natives who had no qualms about wiping them out. Sorry, just couldn't get behind it, my apologies for besmirching the honor of your beloved CW show.

To answer your other questions:
- I thought Arrow was garbage too and quit watching it after the first half or so of the season, then caught an episode later in the season when there was nothing else on and thought it was a lot better and have watched it since. You know, just like I did with this show.
- Flash I've liked since the pilot, even though it's kind of rough.
- Supernatural I probably would never have watched if it wasn't on Netflix and my wife was binging through it because she has a higher tolerance for bad shows than I do). I didn't really get on board with it until somewhere in the second season, but I went back to watch the first season and it was pretty rough too. I would never call it a good show because there are multiple entire seasons of the show that are borderline unwatchable, but I have a soft spot for pulpy trash. Not so much teenage drama. Again, my apologies that I do not 100% enjoy the same shows you do, for things that may actually be valid reasons. But to claim I didn't give it a fair shot is total horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also this isn't really part of my revised impression of the x-files quality (cause even when talking about the x-files I really only mean the initial 5ish seasons anyway) but for the first time ever I watched the episode "First Person Shooter." Holy poo poo... how have I never seen that atrocity before? Without a doubt that's like the worst episode of this show I've ever seen, maybe a contender for worst episode of... anything. It's almost impressive. The whole time I couldn't stop imagining the behind the scenes production with real people having to say these lines in such a ridiculous episode that's (for some reason) played completely straight.

The good ol' days of the '90s, where "you die in the game YOU DIE FOR REAL" was still a relatively fresh concept.

• Locked thread