Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

First Futurama finale was amazing, second one was pretty decent too.

The Office ended really well given how much it had gone downhill.

The best of the 4(?) Futurama finales were the first one and (thankfully) the last one.

Other good shows that had good finales:
The Shield
30 Rock
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld (gently caress you it was good)
Lost
The Office UK (counting the Xmas special as the finale)
Life on Mars US (loved the "WTF" factor in this one)
Quantum Leap
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm one of those horrible people that always preferred the weird, wacky episode of Quantum Leap to the more traditional episodes dealing with social issues. And most of those weird wacky episodes happened to come in the later seasons.

For example:

Sam leaps into a chimp
Sam leaps into a guy with no legs (Sam can still walk)
Sam leaps into a blind guy (Sam can see)
Sam & Al switch places
Sam leaps into a criminal, who then somehow escapes the waiting room and al has to track him down
The evil leaper episodes
Sam leaps to the civil war somehow
Sam leaps into a vampire
Al is actually the devil
Sam leaps into lee Harvey Oswald
Sam leaps into Dr Ruth

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Some of them are not bad. Go listen to Darkwing Duck.

And if you showed me the Twin Peaks one and told me it was an alternate opening to that show, I would have believed you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Decided I'm gonna use blizzard-time to give Supernatural a chance. I watched the pilot and it was surprisingly decent.

A couple friends of mine have told me the first season is a little iffy, but it gets pretty reliably good by season 2. Is that pretty accurate? And, if so, what are the key season 1 episodes to watch so I won't be lost if I jump right into season 2?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah right, like I'm NOT gonna watch something called "the racist truck episode" :rolleyes:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just finished the second episode, and though not bad, it seemed totally skippable.

So I'll probably move forward with that list posted above, plus any episodes with synopses that pull me in, plus Scarecrow which my friend said is the episode that hooked him, plus the racist truck episode, which I am really looking forward to now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do they ever address how they get money to fund all these wacky adventures

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

They made the Kingpin white? Not sure how I feel about this racebending...

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

As long as you have a regdate that got you in before they started making emotes to make fun of you () you're cool

And apparently if you're an '09 you're not even cool enough to get an emote making fun of you

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Seinfeld and The Simpsons are two of my top five all time TV shows and I will still be watching reruns of these same episodes when I am 80.

Sorry, just had to get a little balance in here.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Funny every time!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
SEINFELD and the Simpsons. I've never seen a full episode of Friends, and the parts I have seen I've disliked.

Other popular TV shows I've disliked - Homeland, Dexter, Friday Night Lights, Six Feet Under, The Walking Dead

Also I've never seen The Wire and I'm in no hurry to change that. :)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I quit both Dexter and Homeland in season 1. I should say, of all the shows I listed as dislike, the only one I actively hate is Homeland.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just dropping this here because I was actually looking for the IRC link tonight and it took me a while to find it:

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net (direct link)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I watched the first episode of Broad City and got totally turned off by Fred Armisen's appearance.

I don't even hate Fred Armisen or anything, but poo poo Fred can't I watch one hipster sketch comedy show without you popping in to say hi

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mo0 posted:

Go Penguins. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6KC0PAvJZw

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't understand why everyone hating on TLMOE needs Phil to be a good guy, or points to the fact that he's a piece of poo poo as why they dislike the show. I find the fact that he's a shitbird hilarious.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

That was Martin Sheen.

Have Martin Sheen do all the voices Shearer used to do.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I could have sworn I heard somewhere that NBC was putting extended cuts of Aquarius up on the internet that were more "cable-friendly" and less "network-friendly." Did I make that up? Every search I've done has told me about how NBC is putting up all episodes for streaming, Netflix-style, after the premiere airs. But nothing about different/extended cuts.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 27, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Friends have a bunch of connections with all these other New York-based sitcoms from the late 1990s and early 2000s that maybe had a four or five season run, but were never really remembered?

Or at least, it was meant to - there was an episode in season one where Joey gets trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre during a blackout, which was meant to have been caused by something that one of the characters did on Seinfeld, with a bunch of other NYC sitcoms having the same blackout as well.

I don't really remember that but there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJcJqLz2J40

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Shows I can't believe are still on the air:

Suits
Falling Skies
The Last Ship
The Halle berry one where she has a robot kid or something
Under the Dome
Any other show advertised on Regal First Look before I see a movie

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Simpsons is bad. That was a straight crop from the original NTSC video so there's no gained resolution and many jokes are removed. Animation is something I think should always be OAR anyways since a lot of work goes into everything in the frame.

I really have no idea how late 80s animation was done, but were the early seasons of The Simpsons transferred to film at some point? I've been watching some season 1-3 Simpsons lately, and I could swear I'm seeing hairs, dust, and what appear to be gate hairs. If those transfers still exist, then there's a BEAUTIFUL remaster of early Simpsons just waiting to happen...

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 25, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I know this isn't D&D, so I won't go on at length, but you can tell white privilege is BS because, while you have plenty of anecdotal "examples" of white privilege working against people, there isn't a single example (anecdotal or otherwise) of white privilege benefiting someone. In fact, there are hundreds of examples of more qualified white people getting turned down for jobs or having their applications rejected for less qualified minority candidates because a business/college is looking to fulfill a racial quota.

You're right, this isn't D&D. So stick to your lovely trollish TV opinions and leave your lovely trollish D&D opinions at home.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, season 2 of Review looks AMAZING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQcU951zATU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is Veep really that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've watched two episodes of the Grinder, and I feel like the show creators are cheating. The writing is pretty average, but Rob Lowe is goddamn hilarious so the show is hilarious.

• Locked thread