Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xeria posted:

Speaking as someone who railed against watching PoI as recently as a little over a year ago, the show is far and away my #1 show of the past year and I'm a stupid idiot for not having watched it sooner.

So you'll be used to the feeling once you finally watch Utopia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rabbit Hill posted:

Uh....I don't even watch the show, but didn't someone just say that that kiss wasn't scripted but adlibbed, so calling it "incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere" is kind of ridiculous.

Here it is again:

And why does "ad libbed" suddenly render those arguments void? Because I think the "came out of nowhere" is exactly what ad libbed means.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah HBO show directed entirely by David Fincher? Sounds like a real piece of poo poo imo.

Yeah. Let's find out what Alan Ball wants to make.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Stretch this out to an hour an you have your average episode of The Biggest Loser.

I thought Biggest Loser eps were two painful hours long.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Ahaha, Sutter's new programme sounds like absolute poo poo.

Didn't SoA just end? Aren't we supposed to get a year or five reprieve of Sutter because of this?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mrking posted:

I've been enjoying powers but it's not the best show in the world. I enjoy Eddie Izzards cheesy bloodbaths and the teleporting guy. Its a very different take on a world with super powers, from the police POV. It's not top tier but if you're into superhero stuff I think it's worth a shot

Take an hour or so out of your life and read the comic's initial run. Instead of low budget effects you've got way too god damned many text bubbles, and this is really just a weaker version of the comic anyway. Episode 4 was pretty good, episode 5 sucked outside of Zora. I'm keeping up with the show, and honestly the biggest part of what keeps me watching is seeing all the poor decisions and shoddy effects that are used in the production.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm having a hard time trying to think up a more obnoxiously 90s show than Video Power, and with the possible exception of America's Funniest People I'm coming up quite short.

EDIT: I mean, for Chrissake, look at this dumpster fire. It ran for four years. 30 minutes full of the kind of humor you'd find in email forwards before the kind of people who would think it was worth forwarding were able to forward it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqC6_ywUuk

The best thing about Video Power is that we got more Kwirk, and that game owned.

You got me thinking about what TV shows were indicative of the nineties, and having lived through them and had young siblings I got to see a lot of differing types of shows. I'd argue these all are indicative of trends of the nineties (not just in plot, but in format or programming block ideas), but also having lived it it's hard to say what is '90s and what is just what I watched in the '90s. Here's a big old list. Spoilered because it's a long list, and I'm willing to bet many people couldn't care less.

Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad, Ned and Stacey, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Hang Time, USA High, Supermarket Sweep, Family Dog, Step by Step, the intro to the first episode of Hangin With Mr Cooper, Gamepro TV, Nickelodeon's Figure it Out With Summer Sanders, Hard Copy, Fact or Fiction, Rescue 911, Unsolved Mysteries, The Parenthood, Homeboys From Outer Space, Studs, Singled Out, Road Rules: Semester at Sea, Headbangers Ball, Pop Up Video, Behind the Music, MTV Unplugged, MST3k, Spawn the 'Animated' Series, Taxi Cab Confessions, Alien Autopsy, Jerry Springer, This Old House, Usa's Up All Night, and SA favorites Shasta McNasty and Deadly Games.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Been hearing good things about "Cheers" lately since it's on Netflix now, started watching it and liking it, but I'm kinda looking forward to Shelley Long leaving the show because Diane is definitely the worst part.

Not looking forward to losing Coach :(

Fair warning: Sam's terrible taste in women extends beyond Diane Chambers.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

The Cartoon Network execs never put more than a season or two of a show up on Netflix because they were really anti-streaming, which is :irony: coming from a network whose biggest hit only exists because the pilot went viral.

Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are two separate networks, from executive leadership all on down. They just share a channel. Adult Swim even has (had?) adult swim gold for streaming long, long ago.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sober posted:

I guess I'll watch the Twin Peaks revival but after both watching it through and listening to a podcast where they pull apart every episode I'm still not entirely sure how people ever grew to loving the show so intensely. Or maybe they just loved season 1 + the first half of season 2 + the finale + maybe FWWM and that's what most people mean when they talk about it, and not the 13 or so episodes that drag in the middle of S2.

I liked the whole series, and I feel like part of what gets lost over time is the context of the parody/homage aspect, the quality of dramatic television of the early nineties, and how God awful FWWM was despite all these considerations of the time the product released in.

This isn't a defense against all criticism of the show, and it definitely did suffer in viewership during the contentious season 2, but more an explanation for how many of us grew to like the show. Before most people had access to this crazy internet, if you watched last nights twin peaks you had at least 5 minutes worth of conversation with anyone you happened to run into.

These are all views on the show without specific notations on how and what I find/found awesome about it, because even back then the only thing fans could agree on is "she's dead; wrapped in plastic" and "there's a fish in the percolator" are perfect lines RIP Jack Nance.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I can't watch 30 Rock because Tracy Morgan is a piece of poo poo.

Tracy Morgan said some bad things and was called out on it on the very show 30 Rock. Or is there more than the "he made a really offensive and bigoted statement once" thing to this? I'm legitimately asking here.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jon Do posted:

So I watched the pilots of The Brink, Ballers, Killjoys, and Jonathan Strange... expecting at least one of them to be completely unwatchable

Not that any of these are, as of yet, the best TV I've ever seen, but I'm now interested in all of them... for the time being.

I got a kick out of The Brink. I was concerned that Robbins would be playing Bob Roberts again, and he’s not.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

FetusSlapper posted:

I'm sorry. I'm the one who keeps watching Royal Pains. Its MacGyver meets House: MD on a fertile plane of very, very good looking people. Heavy lean on MacGyver on that MacGyver /House ratio. Its almost like a recipe for 'interesting enough but forgettable' summer fare.

You and me both. I've seen every episode, and I think I remember 3 of them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lycus posted:

I'm under the impression that they were going to get a new host anyway because of equal time.

They said if he ran they’d find a different host. I’m not sure if equal time was even mentioned and more NBC, being 8 years behind the rest of America, has tired of Donald Trump and would take any excuse.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

I did, it still seemed weird and improper after 10-15 years of hearing his voice come out of cartoon characters.
Dr Katz pushes it to an even twenty.

DivisionPost posted:

Fine, more power to them. I subscribe to Hulu so I can watch on my TV, so I feel like I can't cry about it; after all, I voted with my wallet. But when money gets tight, my Hulu subscription is usually the first to go.

Honestly, I even get putting ads on shows that aired the day after, but ads on older shows and seasons is just an absolute dick move, especially when Hulu's ad rotation seems super limited, or when they cram three ad breaks in a show designed for one or two.

I’d happily pay for hulu if older content had the ads it originally aired with. I don’t mind ads, and were I not paying for cable already I’d be amenable to hulu as it is.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

So stand up is when the comedians speaks to the audience and just cracks joke and one man show is more like solo sketch comedy?

We make that distinction as well, I now realize, though we still use the latter term as a general term (stand up being more specific). Many humorists here do a bit of both as well so hence the confusion.

The term "one-man show" is usually used for irredeemable off-off-broadway garbage where an actor who isn't good enough to get cast in anything stages the production themselves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIemgzJaR1s is an example of what is expected of a "one-man show." Kelsey Grammer's Abraham Lincoln production on 30 Rock is another good example, but it isn't proving as easy to find a nice clip of compared to Jack 2000.

Edit: autocorrect made "Grammer" into Grammar.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

precision posted:

:agreed:

Or at the very least, no Grace.

Counterpoint: Karen and Jack's jabs at Grace were some of the best lines of the show.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

And also because its Kumail.

But I thought you loved him in Big Bang Theory?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Does it pick up? I watched the first three episodes but I fell behind because it felt like self-parody by somebody who didn't understand why the first season was so good.

Also I have no idea how I should be feeling about the fact that furries are now mainstream enough that a prestigious HBO crime show is using a guy having a bunch of fursuit heads as a dogwhistle the way that network crime shows use BDSM, crossdressing, and bisexuality.

There is more action, otherwise your question is answered by the post you quoted.

Furry heads are cartoonish, weird satanic sex cults use realisitic/actual animal-head masks. You know, like the first season.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tupping Liberty posted:

Not connected to anything going on in this thread right now, I just have to say: when judges get pissed at contestants in reality shows when they quit, it's quite possibly my favorite thing. I know I'm just laughing because they care so much, but come on, you're on Food Network Star, it's not like it's important.

It's the most potent of impotent rages, and boy is it sweet. Even if it's fake as hell.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

How does an explicit adaptation "steal" from its source material?

The same way you looked at that post and decided the verb-choice of 'steal' was the point of it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've only seen the first episode before, but I'm always glad to see Michael Ian Black and Adam Goldberg get work (outside his show - The Goldbergs, ABC Wednesdays at 8.30). Also Alyson Williams is pretty great. It's enough to make me want to watch more at least, even if it's nothing groundbreaking.

Those are different guys, Adam Goldberg and Adam F Goldberg.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fooz posted:

Mr Robot is nuts.

Yes. It is.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

precision posted:

Why didn't you guys tell me how good You're The Worst is, holy poo poo.

We did, many times over even. You're just used to being called the worst and tuned it out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

zoux posted:

Also season pass is $20 on iTunes.

I'm only on episode 4 and while it's really good I'm a bit concerned about how they are going to resolve the central mystery of is Christian Slater real or not in a way that doesn't suck.

You're 5 episodes behind, do you want these questions discussed or do you want to avoid spoilers?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

precision posted:

Counterpoint: Complete list of things that any given anime shares with any other given anime:

* is animated

People who say "All anime is bad" treat anime as if it's a genre, not a medium. Like people in the 90s who thought "indie rock" was a stylistic genre. There is as little in common between Cowboy Bebop and Honey and Clover as there is between Firefly and My So-Called Life, or between Pavement and My Bloody Valentine; which is to say, in the case of the former, "they're both live action TV shows" or in the case of the latter "they both use guitars".

Rick and Morty is a distorted pop culture soup. It's just American pop culture instead of Japanese. It is probably as impenetrable to people in Japan as something like Welcome to the NHK is to the average American.

Counterpoint: you're trying to define anime in Couch Chat. This is after 9+ years of SA membership, you think this conversation is worth having. What some of us consider obvious others don't see at all, it seems.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xcore posted:

Spartacus/Starz, Buffy/WB, Impractical Jokers/TruTV, Banshee/Cinemax and Unreal/Lifetime did it for me first, but yeah, I agree.

I never watched them but Monk, White Collar and Burn Notice were on USA. Those shows are kind of OK yeah?

Mr Robot is balls to the wall awesome, while USA is the "those shows are kind of OK yeah?" network is actually a really good way of putting it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

whowhatwhere posted:

Lyman sucks and will watch literally anything with a nipple.

You said it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mr Robot season finale tonight.

I think Falling Skies might have ended? I only ever saw one episode of that, but always enjoyed the tales from those who soldiered on.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Mad Men, The Sopranos, The Wire, Mr. Robot, Breaking Bad.

Which one doesn't belong?

Mad Men? Like Mr Men?

The Sopranos? I don't care bout some singin bitches

The Wire? Is this about news?

Mr. Robot? I bet there's a character who is male and robotic.

Breaking Bad? Nah okay this one kinda fits but i'd never heard the term before that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Literally everyone I've introduced to Mr. Robot thought it was a cartoon based on the title, myself included.

Quit recommending cartoons to your friends and they'll stop assuming your recommendations are cartoons.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

I take it you've never seen Mutant X.

edit: added picture

I miss syndicated shows like Mutant X and Night Man.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The League is coming back for some reason. I'm only watching the Rafi episodes.

I heard on some podcast this is the last season?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Daedo posted:

Everything about it was lifted wholesale from that show[...] Shows like that have always been on though, so it doesn't feel out of place having it on the air.

These two statements don't contradict one another, but they sure come close. What makes it specifically Ant and Dec and not any one of a hundred shows that have followed that format?
or

lelandjs posted:

I was kinda surprised to learn that it was lifted wholesale from a British show, but then I realized that people in the US are really only exposed to the "good" stuff, not the dregs.

Re: peak TV chat: there's the same level of crap and mediocre shows, it's just that every channel has greenlit at least one prestige drama, which are usually watchable at worst (unless Kurt Sutter is attached in which case lolno). AMC should probably stop trying and just rerun Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Walking Dead 24/7, their overall ratings would probably improve.

Is this something they're outright admitting?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Recently my wife got me into Six Feet Under. I'm about halfway through the final season. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, with some standout performances, and a couple stinkers. I must say I am utterly sick of the constant dream sequences as well as red herring death sequences in episode intros. Seeing as how I missed the boat on this show by, oh, about a dozen years, what are people's thoughts of and experiences with the show?

Still one of my favorites, a bit of the polish has worn off over time and I don't often want to watch it, but every few years I'll rewatch with it in the background and always be engrossed by the end of S1.

And more often, I'll rewatch That's My Dog because that poo poo is unsettling as hell.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Daedo posted:

The segments from the show are literally the exact same as segments from Saturday Night Takeaway. And the two guys standing at the bar at the end of the show with the cocktail throwing/marching band/pogo stick segment? That was Ant and Dec.

I didn't watch it, rather I was trying to figure out the part that interested me: what kind of trainwreck is this? How is it that we're trying to mirror the Ant and Dec phenomenon and still no panel shows?

Bill Maher doesn't count, I mean entertaining panel shows with likable hosts. We own Josh Groban, he's ours! let's use him for more than music and romcom villains!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

They throw darts marked Dr Who and Great British Bakeoff at a dart board and schedule it wherever they land.

They also do this with Peep Show, but the person doing it is blind so it only hits about once in 4 years.

Good news! Final series of Peep Show is scheduled for this year!

If you look at @sambaintv he's posted some shots, but knowing Peep Show a few jokes are being spoiled by viewing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

zoux posted:

You guys think the 22 episode season is bad on writers, My Mother the Car had a single, 30 episode season.

They deserved far worse.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What was the reasoning behind making a Limitless TV series now? The movie came out 4 years ago, and I didn't think it was a smash hit or anything. I enjoyed it, but I almost never hear anyone refer to it.

Executive producer Bradley Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

TVBTN wasn't out yet but they do a way better chart.

Also beyond the Flash Tuesday is a loving bad day of TV

If you're starting from nothing your potential is Limitless.

• Locked thread