Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

VorpalBunny posted:

My New Year's resolution is to actually keep up with this thread. It got to 10,000+ unread posts before Deadpool killed it for 2014.

And I also resolve to watch all the stuff I keep stored on my DVR. I hear The Manhattan Project is actually pretty good, its time to find out for myself!

I keep up for the most part, but if I ever see 100+ unread posts I just skip to the last page. From what I can tell, the only topics that make TVIV so chatty aren't ones I'm really missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
He was always the head vampire in Lost Boys to me.

He just wanted a family!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

Battlestar & LOST :smug:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

xeria posted:

let it die, let it diiiieeeeeee

That's sung to the tune from Frozen, right?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

Do people like Jane the Virgin, maybe I just didn't get it but it just didn't feel natural.

I only gave Jane the Virgin a shot based on all the positive feedback it gets, and you know what? It's actually pretty decent. One of the best new shows to premier this season, by my standards.

It maintains a respectable level of humor which never gets as vulgar as the premise might suggest, and the cast is affable & attractive. Also, it's an hour long show that feels like a 30 minute comedy.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

OldSenileGuy posted:

Decided I'm gonna use blizzard-time to give Supernatural a chance. I watched the pilot and it was surprisingly decent.

A couple friends of mine have told me the first season is a little iffy, but it gets pretty reliably good by season 2. Is that pretty accurate? And, if so, what are the key season 1 episodes to watch so I won't be lost if I jump right into season 2?

It's all good except Route 666, aka the "Racist Truck" episode, which itself is worth watching just to get an indication of how bad Supernatural can be.

If you absolutely must just watch key episodes, try episodes 4 (Phantom Traveler), 6 (Skin), 7 (Hook Man), 9 (Home), 12 (Faith), 14 (Nightmare), 16 (Shadow), 17 (Hell House), 20 (Dead Man's Blood), and the final two 21 & 22. Each of these episode touch on mythology referenced later on.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Padalecki even met his wife on the programme...

I still can't believe he married Fake Ruby!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I think Supernatural is one of the lesser offenders on the CW as far as staffing gorgeous people. Not that there's anyone truly ugly, but Ash, Ellen, Bobby, Sheriff Mills, the Ghostfacers and other recurring characters are all pretty normal looking folk.

Compare that to Reign, or Vampire Diaries, or Originals, or just about any other CW show I've seen and it doesn't seem as bad.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Hah! Even got the ring.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

Righto. Thanks for the insight, everyone. Recently, I thought, "I fancy something with vampires in it,"

My absolute favorite vampire series was a single season affair, Blade: the Series. Sticky Fingaz is better than whatshisface from the movies, the two lead antagonists are superb and the world building was pretty drat incredible for such a low run of episodes.

The only drawback is the lead actress (Jill Wagner) who wasn't quite ripe enough for the role. Still, she's easily ignored when everything else is so good.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

It got lost in the previous discussion of genre shows, but Banshee has been absolutely slaying it in its last season, and could count as one of those shows that never has a bad episode.

This is the final season of Banshee?

Booo.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mr. Fowl posted:

So I started watching Sparticus. Does it ever stop looking like rear end?

No, but most of us do stop caring about it in short order. The bad sets and green screen never abate, however.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

I must be weird but I preferred the second season. Jensen Ackles and some beast-hybrid played by the "I make good eggs" guy from Lost (also Zipcna from Stargate SG-1.)? Hell yeah.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
drat. This week's episode of Banshee had the most graphic murder I've seen.

I'm still not sure how I feel about reducing the amount of T&A in favor of more violence. On the one hand, Banshee is the show to go to for Class A rear end kicking. On the other hand: boobs.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Just to put everyone at ease, I'm gonna do a bunch more heroin.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

JohnSherman posted:

How much of a presence is Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock? I've seen a couple episodes, and would like to watch it in earnest, but I've always been turned off by having to put up with someone as unfunny as Tracy Morgan.

I had the same concern going into 30 Rock, but it turns out he's a highly enjoyable part of the show.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm 4 episodes into the new House of Cards season and it's so loving boring. This along with their Genghis Khan show are some real stinkers.

I actually liked both, though I'll admit that I stopped watching Marco Polo sometime before the finale and haven't made my way back there to finish it up.

No major qualms with House of Cards though; I was thoroughly engaged for the whole run of new episodes. My only nitpick is that the Putin analog just sort of fizzled.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Hah! This week's Elementary has a very unusual suspect...

Torgo, from Manos: the Hands of Fate, the inspiration for my nick and best MST3K of all time.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

Still no idea why it's called The Jinx though. on episode 2.

During one of Durst's interviews, he refers to himself as a jinx (in relation to those around them.) That's all it is, I think.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Irish Joe posted:

How about a general aversion to Gaelic folklore?

You're in luck. Banshee is the name of a hick town and nothing more.

Also, as good as the season was, it wasn't even my favorite.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I quit at the end of season two. There's no reason to watch that show at all without Doakes.

This is the most truth the thread has witnessed.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Pillowpants posted:

I was not able to find a thread about Parenthood, but I'm watching it with my wife and I was wondering how everyone felt about it.

I enjoy the show but I feel like it's entirely predictable and Julia's character is just horrid.

I kind of hated Parenthood. It was fine on a technical level (decent story, acting, etc) but I kind of hated most of the characters except Camille, Joel, Jasmine and Jabar. Something about the J names...

Anyway, I liked Julia until the second-to-last season when she finally wore thin on me, which happens to be about the same time I checked out of the show for good. I don't actually know why I stuck with it as long as I did, it really left me with a knot in my stomach after every episode, usually because of something Zeke or Crosby or Adam did/said.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

I'll watch Banshee, if you watch the rest of Jane the Virgin.

This is a win-win compromise for both of you.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

The antagonist is some kind of weird sexual predator?

Could be. Could also be a town full of weirdos performing some twisted version of their own Truman Show on the main characters.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone watch any of the following:

The Musketeers
Atlantis
Crossbones
Agent Carter
The Librarians
Defiance
Legends
Penny Dreadful

How are they, what are they like etc? Looking for something new that's decent.

Good lord, I watched almost that entire list. I need a new hobby.

Musketeers: Decent enough period romp. Nothing spectacular, but the (four) musketeers are amiable enough.

Atlantis: Unless you mean Stargate, this is one of two I'm unfamiliar with.

Crossbones: Black Sails is a better pirate show, but if pirates are your thing, then it's alright. Malkovich is underused.

Agent Carter: Started off well, didn't finish as strong, decent enough little intermission to SHIELD but not appointment-TV.

The Librarians: Essentially a revival of Warehouse 13. If you like that kind of goofy sci-fi, it's pretty fun.

Defiance: Surprisingly good. Strong cast, likable and despicable characters (sometimes the same thing), decent world-building.

Legends: Two of two I'm unfamiliar with.

Penny Dreadful: I appear to be in the minority, but I really didn't like this one. The story was disjointed, and aside from a couple enjoyable characters, there wasn't much to appreciate. The storytelling was all over the place, as were the performances.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

This was a recent TNT series starring Sean Bean as an FBI agent who specializes in undercover work. It was kind of weird because it seems like they're setting it up as a weekly story show but it quickly moves into longer story arcs.

Ooh, okay, I did watch that. Clearly it made a strong impression.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SA2K posted:

So if anyone hasn't watched Black Sails yet I don't know what you're waiting for

The latest episode was a really great payoff for all the setting up that came before it.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SA2K posted:

So I'm about six episodes into the first season of The Wire (after being told by many people that it's the best show ever made), and the story just isn't really pulling me in. Is this one of those shows that starts out kind of slow and captures you later on down the road? Or is it five seasons of them just wire tapping payphones?

I'm not one of the superfans, but The Wire does get better as it goes on. It took me a couple false starts before I finally worked my way through the whole series.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Confession time: My fiancee and I have been bingeing through the first season of Glee over the last week or so, and...I'm kind of down with it. Maybe it goes off the rails later on but so far this first season has been funny and all the singing and poo poo takes me back to doing my own high school music days. Also it has a bunch of weird subtle music jokes and it lets me make dumb music jokes, both of which go over my fiancee's head. Is that so wrong of me?

The first season (particularly the first half of the first season) is renown for being very good, so good that many of us stuck with the show through to the end hoping for any glimpse of that original greatness.

And it's not like there weren't teases of quality over the next several seasons, but it never did rise to the level it start at. In fact, it sunk very low from that starting position.

So low.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

RIP John Lovitz

That was my favorite bit of the SNL anniversary special - all the tributes to Lovitz.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SA2K posted:

I watched the first half season of The Blacklist and haven't gotten around to picking it back up. Is it worth it just to see Spader being awesome?

That's the main draw, certainly. I've come to like the show for other reasons as well, but he's still the best part.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

I don't even know what Olympus is about! Is it a Greek mythology show? Sci-fi spaceship drama? Or maybe it's secretly a mockumentary about the camera or something. And clearly if it had good people backing it I would've heard about it.

Stargate: Greek Pantheon

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

12 Monkeys looks like a CW show. A bad one.

If I were to compare it to a CW show, it would be Nikita. A good one.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I was actually disappointed in the Going Clear doc. It didn't delve into anything I hadn't read a dozen times over in the last couple decades, and could have been much more acerbic than it ended up being.

I was also disappointed that the former member who used to post in every Scientology-related thread here didn't show up during it. That guy was great. Anyone remember his name and if he is still around?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

So I just caught a commercial of Vikings, and it looked pretty cool. What do you guys think of Vikings? Would you recommend it?

Vikings is thoroughly enjoyable.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

James Marsters says Barrowman is a better kisser than Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I think my great aunt Edith is probably a better kisser than Sarah Michelle Gellar, and she's been dead for a decade.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Zaggitz posted:

6 hours is not a month :(

That's the preprobating. It's like foreplay.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, and soon, Chicago MD (or Memorial or something). For a minute, I seriously thought my wife had started some new show I'd never seen before.

Hmm. An ER drama set in Chicago...

Nah, it would never work.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

So when people talk about the great fight scenes in Banshee, is that a season two thing?

Season 1 hasn't had a whole lot, though the MMA fight was brutal.

As the show goes on, it starts to replace loving scenes with fighting scenes, so yeah, they become more and more prevalent. The latest season has a major one in every episode it feels like, and season two just about every episode.

And there are some great ones. Banshee is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

Daredevil doesn't have any special healing powers though. At least as far as I know. It's more, "Murdock boys know how to take a beating" is more in the sense that his father is really just ascribing their (his and his son's) tenacity and resilience (because Irish-American immigrants) to getting the poo poo beaten out of them and not giving up.

There's a throwaway line in the Netflix series about how concentration/meditation can hasten the body's healing ability. Not really a superpower, but he's got some mojo in that department.

• Locked thread