Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have some terrible, horrible news, everyone.

Comedy Central... has cancelled Brickleberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

drat we got some Richard Armitage haters in this thread.

I'd say I'm more of a Richard Armitage well-wisher, in that I don't wish him any specific harm.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

page 1 had some good concepts but the thread really hadn't found its voice yet. 3 is obviously great, but I think page 2 has a certain rawness and natural feel that is lacking later on

I think we can all agree that Page 9 is where it definitively jumped the shark.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

HIMYM's ending is built over the entire show and it fits the narrative perfectly.

Yes it does.

And it is also terrible.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of awkward interactions at the TCA...

quote:

According to Deadline, Entertainment Weekly, Slate, and other sources who were there, things then got a little “testy,” as HitFix’s Daniel Fienberg pressed an “irritated” Greenblatt on when the number of women who have accused Cosby over the years officially reached that “critical mass” necessary to sever ties with him, a mere four months after NBC had hailed Cosby at the last TCAs.

“So, 15, yes? Two or three, no?” Fienberg asked.

“Yeah, you want me to put a number on it?” Greenblatt retorted. “Fifteen ‘yes,’ two ‘no.’ Yeah, do you really want me to answer that question? All I can tell you is there’s a lot of people who have been in business with Cosby for 25 years and go ask them the same question. I just answered what I could answer. I didn’t think it was a problem until it became critical.”

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rabbit Hill posted:

On that note, don't read the AVClub's reviews of Galavant.

E:

:goonsay:

Seriously. I've never seen a reviewer get so hung up over a single throwaway joke:

:goonsay: posted:

My only problem with the pirate stuff stems from a single joke, the moment where the pirate king, Peter the Pillager (Hugh Bonneville), realizes he and Galavant know each other. “You know, we met before at Lilith Fair,” he says. Galavant looks at him, confused. “The Island of Les Bos?” Peter reminds him.

Like the random Jewish stereotypes (not to mention the name Sir Jean Hamm from episode two) it’s a setup with no payoff whatsoever. As hard as it is to make a reference so steeped in ‘90s pop culture work, it might have had a fighting chance had it been reconfigured into some kind of Medieval alternate reality. I’m not saying listing off Middle-Age alter egos of specific Lilith Fair performers would have been funny (“Natalie the Merchant,” perhaps? Eh, probably not.), but something in that vein would show that the writers are at least trying to be creative and not just throwing in any old reference that comes to their minds. As petty as it may seem to call out a solitary joke in a sequence that otherwise works quite well, the failed bit is ultimately representative of how easy Galavant’s humor becomes off-color.

:cripes:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
60 Minutes Correspondent Bob Simon Dies in Car Crash

Well, that sucks. :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-x77t89iY

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline posted:

Naw I"m pretty sure their constant back-referencing meme circlejerk comments would generate enough views

The A.V. Club

constant back-referencing meme circlejerk comments

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

No, because none of the book readers give a gently caress what the show does. It will always and forever be about hatred of GRRM. Are you expecting people to burst into the TBB thread and spoil the ASOIAF thread? Because the second the show airs the book thread regulars are openly talking about what happens and mocking it, not screaming at the top of their lungs about spoilers and losing their poo poo.

That's pretty much the main attitude the book readers have had to the show. Even when the Night's King was "spoiled" by the show no one cared because it doesn't loving matter to them. If the show leaked in the next hour and someone posted an entire transcript in the TBB thread the prevailing response would be "good, now I know its garbage/not garbage, lets discuss it" whereas in TVIV it would be blacked out bars left and right and full on tantrums.

Have you not checked out the GoT Spoiler Thread here in TV IV? It's full of book readers who hate what the showrunners are doing with the TV version.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of The Simpsons, they've revealed an upcoming storyline from next season:

quote:

Sofia Vergara has recorded a role as Bart’s new — and yes, highly attractive — teacher on The Simpsons, EW has learned exclusively. After Bart starts drinking a milk substitute filled with bad hormones, he experiences early puberty and grows a little mustache — as well as feelings for Mrs. Berrera, who is voiced by the Modern Family star. “She’s more forgiving than Mrs. Krabappel was of Bart,” hints Simpsons executive producer Al Jean about the character. “She pays special attention to him.”

Mrs. Berrera winds up in the middle of a romantic rivalry, as she has also drawn the attention of Principal Skinner. “We thought it’d be interesting if both Bart and Skinner have a crush on the same woman,” notes Jean. “She feels Skinner is a wounded soul that she wants to take care of. She is a vet like Skinner, and that’s his attraction.”

Sounds like a winner to me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
AV Club has a tribute to one of the greatest, if not the greatest, TV shows of the 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite rejected pilot would have to be Heat Vision and Jack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s

• Locked thread