Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sophia posted:

Someone name a TV show where they liked its ending and also genuinely liked the show (i.e. the ending can't be liked because it was simply put out of its misery like a dying dog).

Angel, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development (the original Season 3 finale), The Wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Contra Calculus posted:

Sounds like I should keep at it with The Americans too then.

I actually liked Season 3 much more than 2, but everything so far is worth watching.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of the older female librarians I work with said they were mystery lovers, so I strongly recommended my favorite mystery writer, James Ellroy. Two of them came back to me after trying his books, and they said they had never been so repulsed!

It turns out they only read "cozy mysteries" like those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Masters of Sex comes back for its third season on Sunday. It's one of those slow-burn prestige dramas, but the writing and acting are excellent, and Lizzy Caplan is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm five episodes into Mr. Robot, and I'm blown away by its quality, especially being a USA show. This unholy spawn of Fight Club, Dexter, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo had one of the best pilots I've ever seen, and it will definitely end the year in my Top Five shows. I've already started recommending it on Facebook, only to be ignored by all my friends -- a mark of distinction shared by Hannibal, Fargo, iZombie, and Sense8.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

Is there anywhere to catch up on Mr Robot? My cable doesn't seem to have it On Demand. And canistream.it says it's not available anywhere yet to stream.
The USA website has them all, but you have to log into it to prove you're a cable subscriber:

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/videos

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was disappointed by Public Morals, but I was really hoping for a James Ellroy, American Tabloid sort of show. (Mental note: American Tabloid would be an INCREDIBLE show.)

I even liked Mob City, TNT's '40s crime/noir drama from a few years ago, but I'm pissed that I never got to see the final two episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

I just gotta chime in, I have hated TV my entire life. In the last 12 months I saw Breaking Bad, House of Cards and now I am half way through The Wire. Seriously when the gently caress did TV get good? The latter two particularly. Is there anything else at the calibre of these two or have I just by process of osmosis managed to filter the cream of the crop?

Hannibal
Fargo
True Detective (Season 1; most people didn't like Season 2)
The Americans
Deadwood

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Who has never written anything outside of Spartacus

He wrote or co-wrote some episodes of Dollhouse, as well as co-writing Dr. Horrible with his brothers and Maurissa.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

raditts posted:

FXX is not only a bad name, but was also a bad idea in general.

I'm still trying to figure out why they decided to launch a channel that they had (and still have) barely any content for.
See also: The Esquire Channel, which is only good for Ninja Warrior reruns.

I love The Getaway on the Esquire Network, which is like a more shallow version of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. (Bourdain produces this show, too.) Each episode follows a celebrity on a whirlwind weekend trip to a cool city. Lots of eating, drinking, shopping, and off-the-beaten-path touristy stuff. Some episodes have featured Aziz Ansari, Kyle MacLachlan, Rashida Jones, Jenny Slate, Seth and Josh Meyers, Jim Rash and Nat Faxon -- mostly entertaining, likable people you would enjoy following around a new city.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Insomniac was loving great and I loved watching it in the wee hours of the night/morning when nothing else was on.

It also had the best theme song.

The Insomniac theme was a ripoff of Tom Waits' "Singapore," but it worked for capturing the spirit of the show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Huh. Well, it's not like AMC has anything else going for them I suppose. I'm guessing that their 2016 slate is full of Beware The Walking Dead and Night of the Walking Dead and Rise of the Walking Dead otherwise anyway.

[Edit: forgot about Return of the Walking Dead]

And Preacher, for another violent, occasionally gory comic book adaptation.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished watching the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend premiere with my wife. We both like musicals a lot, but she loved Glee, which I generally hated. The premiere was really charming, and watching Rebecca Bloom in it was seeing a star being born. Her character is quite disturbed and just barely keeping it together, but also sympathetic and very likable. She does a lot of great acting with her facial expressions and has a terrific voice. I was impressed that she co-wrote and created the show, too. There is a really dark streak underneath the rom-com setting, and the show balanced those elements very well.

If anyone has any doubts (and I get that it isn't the typical kind of show that would appeal to the TV IV crowd), see if you can find the clip online of one of the musical numbers, "The Sexy Getting Ready Song." It reminded us of a much more polished bit from Inside Amy Schumer, and it would have gone viral for sure if it had been on Amy's show and not this new, unknown one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Coffeehitler posted:

They included parental abuse for fleshing out the back story for the Snarts. I didn't think it was overdone, but I also didn't really ever read Flash. And I love me some Snart.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but that is well-established in the comics. Flash #182 (from the previous series) is written by co-showrunner Geoff Johns, whose Flash comics are the largest influence on the show. It's a retelling of Captain Cold's origin, including (and possibly introducing?) the abuse, making him a somewhat more relatable and sympathetic character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Grey Area posted:

I think it's great. It has some great characters and great interactions, but doesn't care about the plot so much. The show does have some trademark Wachowski over-the-top cheese in parts, though. There's a lot of sex and gays and gay sex in it, if that bothers you.

I enjoyed Sense8. I can't call it the best new show to premiere this year, not when 2015 gave us Mr. Robot, Daredevil, iZombie, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Agent Carter, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Jessica Jones, which isn't even out yet. But Sense8 is gorgeous, looks like it cost a fortune, the cast is mostly great, and it's really interesting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 22, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kind of odd to think that Danny Strong is probably the most successful alumnus of a Joss Whedon show other than Whedon himself.

Alyson Hannigan, David Boreanaz, and Nathan Fillion have to be up there too, but it's amazing how much Strong has accomplished.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're also getting Master of None, Aziz Ansari's new Netflix sitcom, and ...With Bob and David, the new Mr. Show reunion series, also on Netflix.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I think it's great. Aya Cash can sit on my...lap, all the live long day.

That's how I feel about Kether Donohue, who I find the sexiest woman on television. (Luckily, they knocked off the fat jokes early on.)

My wife and I love the show and think it's hilarious. But to us, it's funny because we know so many couples like misanthropic, pretentious Jimmy and self-destructive Gretchen, or basic bitch Becca and crude dude-bro Vernon, or nice guy Paul and his obviously mismatched and miserable wife Lindsay. And there are moments of genuine vulnerability and kindness in all of them, but they all take turns being "the worst" (except Edgar, who is a pretty great guy, all things considered).

It also gets surprisingly dark and personal, dealing with issues like Edgar's PTSD and recovery and Gretchen's clinical depression, going in directions that "prestige dramas" don't usually handle as well. But it contrasts those moments with a woman burning herself by microwaving a condom full of frozen cum and attempting to impregnate herself with a turkey baster.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Phoon posted:

Is there a thread for crazy ex girlfriend? Has anyone been watching it?

I think I was the first to post about it in this thread, a page or two back. I love it, and I have a huge crush on Rachel Bloom after watching the pilot and discovering all her music videos on YouTube afterwards.

I fear the show won't find an audience and it'll become a one-season wonder, but I'd love it to continue on and build at least a cult following.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I loved that she sang a snippet of "The Sexy Getting Ready Song" last night while preparing for her party, and the beat kicked in too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sober posted:

Jesus Christ hold on I'm gonna go and make a thread for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. If nothing else, tonight's episode totally justified its existence.

Please do! I'm always a day behind on the new episodes, but I love the show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Amazon has released its newest batch of pilots, including Tig Notaro's semi-autobiographical "dramedy" One Mississippi. We watched it tonight, and it was very sad, with a few funny parts mixed in. Tig stars as herself and co-wrote it with Diablo Cody, and Louis C.K. is an executive producer. I would love to see more of it. It was shot in Louisiana (although set in Tig's hometown in Mississippi), and every shot was beautiful. Also, Casey Wilson is in it!

Beyond that, I'm watching a LOT of TV this fall, but enjoying everything: Fargo, Flash, and Arrow by myself (although I've fallen out of the habit of watching Agents of SHIELD and Brooklyn Nine-Nine), and iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Limitless with my wife (and Person of Interest, which we'll resume as soon as I borrow the Season 4 DVDs from my dad). And we'll binge our way through Aziz Ansari's Master of None starting tomorrow, and Jessica Jones soon after that!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm loving Master of None and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, as far as new comedies go.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I usually have no patience for procedurals (I didn't start loving Person of Interest until it got into ongoing, serialized storylines), but Limitless is great fun. It's surprisingly charming.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I've been meaning to check that out for a long time because I love Kumail and stand-up, but I honestly thought it was a different Jonah. He was always such a nothing on The Nerdist. Is he funny on the show?

I love The Meltdown show on Comedy Central. Kumail and Jonah have great chemistry together, but Kumail comes across as much funnier and more likable overall. Most of the comedians they showcase are great, and some do experimental routines given the small venue, small, hip crowd, and limited time they get on the show. The backstage parts are the best, since they show the comics just hanging out -- sometimes friends cracking each other up, occasionally awkward weirdos who don't like each other much. And Kumail's wife, Emily V. Gordon, the Meltdown producer, is adorable.

If I ever make it to L.A., seeing The Meltdown live would be one of my top priorities.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Hollywood fixers are really interesting historical figures, when everyone was making Mad Men ripoffs they really missed out by not making one about a fixer during the golden age of Hollywood when the studios had obscene amounts of control over both the press and the police.

This is the exact plot of the next Coen Brothers movie, Hail Caesar -- a '50s period piecd starring Josh Brolin as a powerful Hollywood fixer, and George Clooney as an actor he has to deal with.

If you're interested in that kind of thing ('50s Hollywood noir), check out the comic book series The Fade Out, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sober posted:

It's been so long ago but anyone else remember watching the pilot for Global Frequency?

I've always wanted to see it, since I loved the comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My dad loves to walk on his treadmill while watching action movies and engaging shows. He has a decent DVD library, and I just got him a Blu-Ray player when his DVD player died. Shows he likes include Person of Interest, Limitless, The Blacklist, Into the Badlands, Grimm, Arrow, and Flash. I got him all of Spartacus on DVD last year, and he loved it, but he gave up on Game of Thrones after two or three seasons because he didn't like the good guys losing all the time. He also loved 24, Deadwood, and Human Target, and he's still annoyed the second season of Human Target never came out on DVD.

He has no interest in The Wire, Breaking Bad, Fargo, Hannibal, or True Detective -- all favorites of mine. I think he would love Justified and The Americans, but he hasn't expressed any interest in them. From the little I know about them, I'm pretty sure he would love Strike Back and Banshee, but I haven't seen them, so I can't vouch for them. I've heard Banshee is similar to Justified, but with a lot more brutal violence, sex, and lots of rape. I know almost nothing about Strike Back, aside from the fact that Goons vouch for it. What DVD set might be a better gift, or is there something else I'm not thinking of? (For the record, he doesn't have Amazon Prime and wouldn't be able to watch Netflix from his treadmill, so that wouldn't help.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Daredevil?

I shared my Netflix password with him when it debuted, and he liked it a lot. Great call, though.

I ended up ordering him Strike Back Season 1 on Blu-Ray last night, which will be his first Blu-Ray. My whole life, he read those never-ending Mack Bolan and Phoenix Force novels, so I think he'll really dig it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry to my TVIV bros who rep this show but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is the second CW show after Jane the Virgin I've considered starting only to give up when I realised it was a freaking hour long. Not all shows have to or need to be an hour long guys, and unfortunately I don't really have time to add more shows that length to my list.

It was originally going to be a half-hour show on Showtime, with a lot raunchier, edgier, more sexual, darker content, but they saw the pilot and passed on it. The CW is owned by the same company (CBS), so they revamped it as an hour-long show to pair with Jane the Virgin.

It's a shame, really. I think watching Rachel Bloom is like seeing a star being born. She's insanely talented, charismatic, and hot, but the show drags in between the great musical numbers. I think it would have been so much better as a half-hour show, especially with no network restrictions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I have gotten into a lot of recent shows relatively late in their first seasons, after reading good reviews, hearing buzz, and catching up with episodes on demand: Mr. Robot on USA, Limitless on CBS, and Empire on Fox (until we lost interest in Season 2, anyway). That has been a saving grace, being able to backtrack to the first episode and catch ourselves up.

But with all our shows currently on hiatus, my wife wondered about "that new show with the hot girl with all the tattoos" (Blindspot), and only the two most recent episodes were available on demand. We probably would have watched the pilot out of curiosity and caught up out of boredom, but now that's off the table.

We watch almost everything on demand due to my getting home late from work, and most networks are great about putting new episodes up the next day. But for someone who hears about a cool new show midway through the season, they're usually going to be screwed if they want to catch up to watch the rest live. Some networks are great about leaving the whole season available on demand (thank you, USA and Fox!), but others are awful (NBC, ABC, CW).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Any more recommendations for us? Ideally something streaming on Netflix or Amazon.

Together, throughout the year, we watch Person of Interest, iZombie, Limitless, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Mr. Robot, The Americans, Game of Thrones, True Detective, Broad City, Masters of Sex, Louie, Master of None, and The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail.

By myself, I watch Fargo, Flash, Arrow, Agent Carter, Better Call Saul, Childrens Hospital, Daredevil, and of course I'll be watching Legends of Tomorrow.

We tried the pilots of The Expanse and Into the Badlands, which I enjoyed but she didn't. We've also enjoyed The Wire, Fringe, Veronica Mars, Jessica Jones, Dollhouse, Arrested Development together. She didn't like the pilot of Firefly and has no interest in Buffy, Angel, or any other superhero shows. She isn't into the kind of humor in Parks & Recreation, Comedy Bang Bang, or Brooklyn Nine-Nine. We gave up on Empire and Homeland together, and I gave up on Agents of SHIELD and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on my own.

I realize this is a lot of TV, but it's nice to get obsessive about new shows together.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We tried two more shows tonight. She didn't make it halfway through the pilot of Leverage, so then we tried Prison Break, which neither of us had seen, and it was a well-paced, intriguing pilot. We liked it enough to watch the second episode as well. It helps that half the cast went on to play villains on Flash and Arrow -- I'm already a fan of Wentworth Miller from him playing Len Snart/Captain Cold.

What is the general consensus on Prison Break? I have to imagine it goes off the rails at some point, since it seems to have gone on for multiple seasons. Is it worth sticking it out, or is there an obvious drop in quality along the way?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Are you up on the classics, Deadwood, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc? If you were into soapy stuff like Empire, then Jane the Virgin might be up your collective alley (I still haven't finished the first season). X-Files is starting up again, maybe checking out the show and skipping the least favored episodes might be in order (since you like the Meltdown, listen to Kumail Nunjiani's podcast The X Files Files in conjunction for maximum enjoyment). Hulu (I know you wanted just Netflix/Amazon, but it's kinda the hot stuff right now) has some great original content, like Casual. Amazon has Transparent, which I was up and down, but eventually was very glad I watched (it just streamed its second season!). Speaking of detective shows, Terriers is definitely worth a watch. So comedies are definitely out? I would have recommended Nathan For You (it's less zany than Nine-nine) or Review, or something a little older like Better Off Ted (so underrated). Ryan Murphy shows are good as long as you know what you're looking for and get out early, so AHS S2 is worth a watch, Nip/Tuck S1 and S2, and the just completed Scream Queens S1 (which mostly stuck the landing).

That's all I got right now.

Thank you for the effort-post!

We loved The Wire and Terriers, she watched the last few episodes of Breaking Bad with me begrudgingly but has no interest in going through the whole thing, she didn't make it through the Deadwood pilot with me, and neither of us are interested in Mad Men or Jane the Virgin.

She loves Transparent and binge-watched it on her own (also OITNB), but hates any awkward cringe comedy like Review or Nathan For You, and didn't like Better Off Ted when she tried it back when it was on.

I can guarantee she would find AHS and Scream Queens way too scary and off-putting, despite liking Ryan Murphy in theory, and X-Files would either be too scary or too boring for her.

Oh well, at least we have Prison Break to get us through the midseason break. But thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This was a few pages back, but I ended up getting my dad Strike Back Season 1 on Blu-Ray, and he LOVES it. Absolutely crazy about it, a few episodes in. It helps that the two guys went on to star in Blindspot and The Player, and he likes both of those shows. And he's describing Strike Back as a cross between 24 and Phoenix Force (this huge series of novels he loved in the '80s and '90s), so it was a great gift for him. I'll end up getting him the rest of the seasons for sure, and maybe now I'll try Season 1 myself, since it's on Amazon Prime.

• Locked thread