Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

hcreight posted:

Marge vs The Monorail is my Simpsons guess.

Mine's Last Exit to Springfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

A celebrity doing commercials is probably the easiest money they can get. And you can never quite have too much money.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Has any show had a worse fall from grace than Homeland?

I watched the pilot for The Man in the High Castle, it was alright but aside from the concept and setting didn't have anything that really stood out. But if they make more then I'll watch it.

PS. Person of Interest owns and the first season starts kinda shakey but constantly gets better and I think is pretty solid after episode 13 or so. I remember not really caring about the flashbacks, but they pay off by the end of the season. A lesser show would have dragged that poo poo out for the show's entire run.

So far the second half of season 2 and the first half of season 3 are probably the high water mark of the show. Season 4 is pretty good so far too.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The biggest thing the Fincher Utopia will be lacking isn't the all-important Englishness, it's the colour. I'm not sure David Fincher even knows cameras can capture red, orange, purple, or green. The original Utopia had this awesome vibrant colour palette unlike any other live-action show I've seen. I don't expect Fincher to change his entire style just to match the original though.

Also whoever said Season 2 was already a remake of season 1 was spot on. And from the way it ended, season 3 was just going to be yet another rehash with a slight shuffling around of characters. Still wasn't bad to watch, but kinda disappointing considering how ambitious and generally well-made the series is.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sober posted:

It's a great idea.

It's likely going to be a mediocre show at best.

Welll excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Christopher Nolan doesn't really know how to have actors use weird voices, but does them anyway. See also: Batman's voice.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Agent Carter seemed like they decided they were going ahead with the show before they figured out if it would be worth making or not, then they just threw in all the first ideas they came up with. Hayley Atwell is a good leading actress for a show but the plot went in a very bland direction and was not very well-executed either. It basically felt like the reason Agents of Shield got better in its second season is because all the mediocre people working on it went to work on Agent Carter, to inflict upon it their, low-stakes, cliche plots, and weak dialogue and characterization. Wasn't BAD but not really something I'd recommend.

Better Call Saul is great so far, and it will probably continue to be.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I would probably watch Celebrity Homonym sometimes.

"Whether."

"Uhhh, like, rain and stuff."

"Nah it's the other one."

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Who cares about Game of Thrones when things like this are about to exist. Fox is ordering a show where Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini team up to solve supernatural crimes.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/houdini-and-doyle-series-fox-itv-shaw-media-1201394425/

I'm tired of all this "ripped from the headlines" docudrama bullshit

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The second season of the Wire is kind of a weird departure. But seasons 3 and 4 are a lot more just plain really good TV. You gotta give the show a while to kinda drag you into its world and when you've picked up the lingo and can recognize all the characters then you'll enjoy it more on a rewatch. The show is slow and kinda boring at first but it kinda becomes more outright entertaining with shootouts, badass characters, etc. but it still stays pretty grounded in a way a lot of shows don't even try to do.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
What are the chances I could just jump into this week's The Flash having seen none of the show and being willing to roll with whatever's happening? Or is it more of a you gotta see the buildup kinda thing?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

precision posted:

Out of the hundreds of trashy and horrible licensed Dungeons and Dragons novels, the second Dragonlance trilogy (the War of the Twins) by Weis and Hickman is legitimately great and would make for a pretty dark and gut wrenching miniseries.

I haven't read those books since I was like 13 though so I'm going on memory

I read that one about a year ago. I hadn't read any of that stuff before so it had no nostalgia value, and also it was a bit taken out of context considering I was just reading War of the Twins out of context of the rest of the series. But I found it doesn't really hold up to how good people say it is, at least for me. I can see why people remember it fondly, but the genre has kinda evolved since then. It wasn't terrible or anything, if it was I wouldn't have read the whole thing. But there's better stuff out there now that fantasy has moved well beyond the ripoff LOTR phase. War of the Twins was probably ahead of the game in the 80s though.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

What should they say during fights? "Daredevil grabs the henchman by his shirt and pummels his face with a clenched fist. He continues to pummel him. He's still pummeling him. The face is an unrecognizable bloody mass of goo and he continues to pummel it while the screen fades to black."

That is pretty much how it works. They also throw in some description of what the background is like, what the camera angle is like, characters' facial expressions, etc.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Sober posted:

Cap 2 is really good. It might just be my favourite Marvel movie because it's part thriller despite the fact it reigns it back in and becomes a Marvel movie at the very end.

Is there a guide to watching AoS and Phase 2 movies (the ship has kinda sailed, but still) in the proper order? It sounds like they touch on some stuff with the movies partway through the season, especially with the events of Winter Soldier. It almost convinced me to go back and watching more AoS, actually.

The guide is basically, Captain America 2 happens between episodes 16 and 17. Thor 2 happens between episodes 5 and 6 but it barely matters.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Nah, you got it wrong. Game of Thrones is the totally-actually-an-anime show.

Lotsa fanservice, pointless overly gory violence, shortened season length, a plot that's taking forever to get anywhere, and then there's the fact that the show is about to move past the material it's been adapted from. If that ain't an anime series, I don't know what is.

Well, at least they're supposedly just going ahead with the story instead of making a 'filler arc' where nothing at all important happens while the source material gets far enough ahead again. I mean, once could argue the source material in ASOIAF at this point is kinda already filler, but at least they're not doubling down on it.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Gotham exhibits virtually every level of quality at some time or another except "very good" and above. You can turn your brain off and enjoy it. You can have your brain 30% on and hatewatch it. You can have your brain 80% on and it's so bad it's good. Or you can have your brain all the way on and just watch it to be baffled by what a glorious mess it is. Not even entertained, just confused in ways you've never been before.

I wouldn't recommend it ever but if you're watching it go ahead and keep watching it. After the part where someone has to explain to two detectives that balloons, once released into the sky, eventually come down on their own, you're past the dumbest part.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
That Wachowski show Sens8 looks pretty cool. I can see a lot of interesting stuff happening with that premise. Really the only thing they've done that I outright didn't like was Jupiter Ascending. The Matrix sequels weren't great but they had a lot of hype to live up to so I think they get a bit more hate than they deserve.

I'd rather see something ambitious come out that falters than something that delivers on the promise of mediocrity, and the Wachowskis are always ambitious with their films. Yeah the trailer for Sens8 made it look like "super badass people fighting all the time" but I'm hoping it'll be more than that.

I hope next season of Agent Carter will be good 'cause I'm gonna watch it even though the first season petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Eh, one person mixing up homonyms while typing and an editor missing it on a read-through is pretty plausible. For something with a limited timeframe like a review of a TV episode I'd find it to be an acceptable error. If there were a lot of other mistakes and that was just an example then yeah, that's bad.

• Locked thread