Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXs2C4Vmho
  • Jan 6 - BBWAA Hall of Fame results, 2 p.m. ET, MLB Network and MLB.com
  • Jan. 14-15 - Owners Meetings, Phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Happy New Year, baseball goons. Wishing you a year of bats.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e: nevermind

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Happy New year! I hope all of your teams win the world series this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to be nice to start the year off with some HOF outrage.

also apparently the Padres tried to get Hiroki Kuroda to sign with them before he ended up returning to Japan:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/...Trade+Rumors%29

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Bagwell's percentage goes down again I riot :mad:

(It's going to go down again :( )

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Okay I'm gonna post more in these threads this year and not pretend I know about advanced stats.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Manny Banuelos traded to Braves for Daivd Carpenter

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Intruder posted:

If Bagwell's percentage goes down again I riot :mad:

(It's going to go down again :( )

You and me, man. loving voters.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

He got 85% though!

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Harlock posted:

Manny Banuelos traded to Braves for Daivd Carpenter

A good trade 3 years too late.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If you've had TJS, the Braves are interested

Pitchers with broken arms are the new market inefficiency

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

If you've had TJS, the Braves are interested

Pitchers with broken arms are the new market inefficiency

Except they already dumped 2 pitchers returning from TJS. Admittedly, Banuelos has only had one TJS.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

tadashi posted:

Except they already dumped 2 pitchers returning from TJS. Admittedly, Banuelos has only had one TJS.

Well I never claimed it was a good idea

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Waaaaaayyyyyy late, but (name tool related) I was just reminded the Brewers traded for Noochie Varner at one point.

OK I'll stop now.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I'm glad Carpenter is gone. He fell off big time last year, but I'm sad to see Shreve go. He looked like he was going to be a pretty good bullpen piece.

Can someone tell me about Manny Banuelos and if I should just continue my sadness from this offseason?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Banuelos throws lowish 90s, don't believe any report that has him at more than that consistently, was once a very good prospect but started falling off even before his injuries that cost him two years of time. His secondary stuff started disappearing and didn't look good in his return from the depths this year and his command that was supposed to be plus started sliding more into fringe-average even before his injuries.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Well, I guess if we aren't going to compete next year, taking a chance on someone who used to be a top prospect in the hopes that he might get it back isn't the WORST thing in the world.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If they just traded some good but not elite relievers for a player who ends up being a decent #3 starter and has 6 years of control, then it's a trade that helps the Braves in the long run. There's just a ton of risk here since Banuelos was already slipping before the TJS. There's a chance Shreve ends up being the better pitcher between Carpenter and him. John Coppolella has deep ties to the Yankees so I assume that had something to do with this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Giants are doing the 'we tried' on Shields and Scherzer now.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/giants-out-on-shields-scherzer-pursuing-zobrist.html

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sabean is very odd with free agency.

I wonder if he was the timid boy who never asked anyone to dance.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

I'm pretty sure this, if anything, is "we didn't try". Also that meme is really loving dumb. See: people applying it to the Padres this very offseason.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mornacale posted:

I'm pretty sure this, if anything, is "we didn't try". Also that meme is really loving dumb. See: people applying it to the Padres this very offseason.
The Padres situation was particularly bad looking because they were calling and emailing fans trying to sell tickets by name dropping the players they were pursuing in free agency.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Giants saying that they have "limited payroll flexibility after re-signing Peavy and Romo" and after winning a bunch of World Series titles when their mortgage payment is winding down is loving laughable.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
A reminder that the Giants got hit with wage settlements twice for underpaying non-player staff in 2013. This is in addition to a 2014 settlement for interns who were underpaid. Hard times.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Why would the Giants spend considerable money in the offseason if they can just keep somehow :confused:-ing their way to championships after 88 win seasons instead?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Vernacular posted:

Why would the Giants spend considerable money in the offseason if they can just keep somehow :confused:-ing their way to championships after 88 win seasons instead?

I'm concerned because all their even-year championship teams had a :confused:-worthy pitching contract. With Lincecum being a free agent after this season, they're going to have to overpay hard in 2016 if they want to compete.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

The Giants saying that they have "limited payroll flexibility after re-signing Peavy and Romo" and after winning a bunch of World Series titles when their mortgage payment is winding down is loving laughable.

That really baffled me, considering they made offers to both Pablo and Lester.

They're the richest broke team in major league baseball.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

bawfuls posted:

The Padres situation was particularly bad looking because they were calling and emailing fans trying to sell tickets by name dropping the players they were pursuing in free agency.

Except it turned out to not be bad at all and was just a team's marketing department doing their job. The whole point of the "We Tried" meme is that the team is not actually trying to sign the player, that their offer is essentially a sham that exists solely to be the basis of a PR statement later. The Padres made competitive offers to two free agents, which were pretty clearly in good faith at the time and are indisputably so in light of their subsequent activity. The Giants here are outright saying "we aren't targeting these players because we don't want to pay them," which is the exact thing that We Tried is meant to avoid having to say. Further, the org are habitual big spenders who are well known for giving free agent contracts that are too large, if anything; the idea that they'd need to pretend to spend money to save face is pretty ridiculous.

Of course their spending limit is arbitrary; so is every team's, barring maybe ownership groups like the Wilpons who shouldn't be allowed to own a team at all. It's fine to want them to spend more, and certainly they can, but that's a different conversation than saying that they're being dishonest about their plans.

I can understand Giants fans being frustrated with this offseason and I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about that, but what gets me so frustrated about "We Tried" is that it's a thought-terminating cliche. We really don't have a lot of evidence past 1) what front offices say, and 2) media reports of the offers they've made. Once you've asserted that both of these are purely meaningless PR moves, there is no actual discussion that can be had besides "nuh uh". I would be a lot more interested in someone taking a look at, for instance, what the Giants' payroll would have looked like with Sandoval and/or Lester, what it looks like now, and what that means their real budget limit is, because this is something that could actually produce some new information to think & talk about.

e: tl;dr: if you want to accuse a team of lying, put some effort into backing it up and contribute to the thread

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 3, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mornacale posted:

e: tl;dr: if you want to accuse a team of lying, put some effort into backing it up and contribute to the thread

The Giants have one of the best marketing teams in baseball (and therefore sell merchandise like loving crazy), have the 6th-highest average ticket price of all MLB teams (but set the NL-record for most consecutive sellouts last season), and are coming off yet another World Series win (which will likely lead to even more sellouts and merchandise sales). Now, their 2015 payroll is just a shade over $140mil, so they very well may be close to being stretched financially; what's likely frustrating some of their fans, however, is that after failing to sign the big name dudes that they were consistently confirmed and or rumored to be going hard after, they re-signed Jake Peavy and Sergio Romo and (for the time being) are saying that they're super poor or something.

But what makes me laugh is that though it would be perfectly reasonable for us to assume that the massively successful and wealthy Giants would be going after a bunch of big name free agents this offseason (and with nearly $30mil coming off the books in 2016, another $40mil in 2017, and their last $20mil mortgage payment shortly after that), they're actually saying that their too broke to do anything more than re-sign a couple of question marks at the current market rate.

In other words, I guess what I'm really saying is that the Giants are probably going to spend a bunch of money during the next offseason instead of this one because something like $140mil - $150mil is likely their current budget cap for some reason.

Maybe they just crunched the numbers and realized that half of their revenue actually came from those lovely loving panda hats and now they're panicking because what do you sell now, you know?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dan Haren will not report to the Marlins and is trying to get traded.

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2015/01/03/haren-not-intending-on-joining-marlins/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Senf posted:

Maybe they just crunched the numbers and realized that half of their revenue actually came from those lovely loving panda hats and now they're panicking because what do you sell now, you know?

They were trying to make giraffe hats a thing for Brandon Belt but the problem is Belt has the personality of his favorite restaurant whereas Pablo was like a Venezuelan Santa out there

(Belt's favorite restaurant is Olive Garden)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Trying to make Belt into PR guy is pretty funny though.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
They just need an animal comparison for Hunter Pence. A chameleon.

Maybe Casey McGahee will be a new fan favorite.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Cow udder hats for Casey McGehee

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mornacale posted:

We really don't have a lot of evidence past 1) what front offices say, and 2) media reports of the offers they've made.
Aside from "casting a wide net", the only real statement was Evans saying that the Peavy signing didn't preclude them from signing others.

There's people who actually don't want them to sign Shields. They'd rather save that money to spend wild on some unknown like Yoan Moncada, or wait for next year's class of FAs. With Cain returning, the rotation WILL be better than last year, the disagreement is whether that will just be a little bit better or a lot better.

What signing Shields would do is allow them to put Tim Hudson in relief more often for his retirement year, but that's usually not what people think about. A sizable amount of fans who do want Shields are living in the delusion that if they just sign Shields, they'll be spared watching Tim Lincecum. Even though fans hate it, we are going to have to watch the team gamble it's standings to see if 2012/2013/2014 Lincecum was just a phase or whatever. They're pretty open that the size of his contract means they're going to get some drat use out of him even if it hurts them to do so.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Timmy is definitely going to turn it around this year though!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's just like Aaron Rowand and Zito (14-0 aside). The Giants don't believe in throwing more money after poorly-spent money. They put their bad contracts out there, lose games with them, and let fans curse management on talk radio.

On the other hand, if it Zito was playing to his salary, they wouldn't have had such great draft picks.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Trying to make Belt into PR guy is pretty funny though.

Didn't Bochy elect to stick with Huff at 1st instead of playing Belt in his first stint at the majors? Am I confusing Belt and Pill?

E: Clearly this was supposed to say "stint" and not "poo poo". Although "first poo poo in the majors" is fairly applicable for how he was treated.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Brandon Belt was like Bruce Bochy's public enemy #1 for a few years. He just kept benching him then sending him to the minors then calling him back up then starting him for a couple games before sending him back to the minors.

He did the same with Pill but Pill usually played OF.

• Locked thread