Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Seems like a really good trade for the Penguins. Probably will slot in as a winger for Malkin or Crosby and he is on a cap-friendly deal for a guy who is likely to put up 50+ points (over a full season).

Also he is shooting 6.8% this season which isn't likely to continue (his career average is 12.8%), so he's probably more of a 10 goal-scorer at this point in the season rather than a 5 goal-scorer.

Edit: I guess Klinkhammer is going back to Edmonton. Don't really know much about him and how he affects the value of this trade.

Klink is a big (but not especially physical) guy who is decent at puck possession. Good depth guy to have. I'm pretty damned excited about this. Perron is a dude who has the talent to create his own offense which is something the Pens badly need on wing. He's also signed through next year on an affordable contract.

I know JR was pretty awful by the end with Carolina but he's done mostly nothing but good things for the Pens so far. The Fleury move is the only questionable thing he's done so far and if Fleury keeps playing like he has (unlikely, but I hope!) then that deal will work out okay too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Loqieu posted:

I wouldn't be too worried at least. They're sort of in the same boat as Dallas in that they're waiting for some internal talent to develop before making a big push. Need to keep in mind their goaltending situation has been pretty bizarre the last year too.

The only reason they're on the outside looking in right now is because Nashville had been a big surprise this season, and the Jets have by pure luck found a goalie who's not awful.

Edit: I'm also not convinced by the Jets recent hot streak either. Although I think Dallas will take that last wildcard spot over the Wild.

I really dont get how so many people are fine with he Islanders making such a big jump but cant accept that the Jets have also improved significantly. The Jets are a top 10 possession team along with the Wild, even with half their roster injured. They are just as good as Minnesota, and Id say just a small step above Dallas right now. All 3 teams are suffering from unreliable goaltending though.

Wild had that solved with Harding and the Jets have Hutchinson, but neither can probably do full time starter roles right now so theyre stuck platooning them with the reanimated corpse of Backstrom and Pavelec respectively. Dallas is kinda screwed in this area unless they want to go shopping around the league again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Pens taking Win Now mode to a higher level with their crazy amount of depth injuries seems like it could backfire.

This isn't a win now trade though given that Perron is signed through next season as well.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I don't see what people see in Dallas, they aren't good enough to get back in the playoff picture. One line teams with atrocious defended just aren't going to be playoff teams in the West.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

William DePaoli @TIOPS_DePaoli
Penguins looked into Perron in early November, the ask was Brandon Sutter. Two months later get him for a first round pick. That's value.

I don't know how credible this guy is but found this interesting.

He's not particularly credible. He's a Pittsburgh Eklund. Has a pay site where he claims to have an inside scoop. I don't use his dumb site so maybe there is some credibility there but I've never heard or read anywhere him breaking a deal.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't see what people see in Dallas, they aren't good enough to get back in the playoff picture. One line teams with atrocious defended just aren't going to be playoff teams in the West.

this is what i see when i look at dallas

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TBL/2008.html

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol at Jussi Jokinen having 14 points and a -16 in 20 games. He really wanted out of Tampa badly didn't he?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Roy-Purcell
Yakupov-Lander-Fraser
Hendricks-Gordon-Gazdic

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Nikitin-Schultz

Scrivens

:rip:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

They might have been better off getting rid of Sutter.
Eh Sutter has been pretty good this season

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh Sutter has been pretty good this season

Agreed he seems to have taken a nice step forward this year and has been a nice contributor on offense. I don't think he's a 2C but a very good 3C especially if they keep Bennett on the 3rd (and he isn't broken).

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Ginette Reno posted:

This isn't a win now trade though given that Perron is signed through next season as well.

It might not be all-aboard Win Now Or Die, but I'd say trading a first rounder for an active player does help the present at the cost of the future.

Not that it's a bad trade, just indicative.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Perron for a first? I guess the Oilers are finally entering rebuild mode

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Misanthrope posted:

William DePaoli @TIOPS_DePaoli
Penguins looked into Perron in early November, the ask was Brandon Sutter. Two months later get him for a first round pick. That's value.

I don't know how credible this guy is but found this interesting.

i'd rather have a 1st than sutter

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

The goaltending is streaky not abysmal (I pray) and Seguin's scored in bunches, not one a night. 2nd line scoring has been iffy, but they're getting a decent amount of depth production. Klingberg's been good enough to give them 3 NHLers worth of talent in their six. Not that I don't agree with you as tight as the west is. But that's the reason for hope.

HFBoards answer: Ritchie will save us.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

a false posted:

A late 1st rounder with the Oilers scouts is like a mid-2nd

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pancakes by Mail posted:

It might not be all-aboard Win Now Or Die, but I'd say trading a first rounder for an active player does help the present at the cost of the future.

If everything worked out with that first round pick for the Pens that pick would end up as good as Perron already is, and he's 26. This move hardly hurts the Pens' future.

a false posted:

Probably. Sutter is pretty meh outside of the pk and his slight talent at scoring goals.

e: In related Pens news Malkin and Adams apparently got into a tussle in practice and Malkin high sticked Adams in the face Bill Guerin style.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 2, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pancakes by Mail posted:

The only future the Penguins need to worry about right now is the one where people say yo how did you dipshits have all those superstars and only win the Cup once

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

fits posted:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Roy-Purcell
Yakupov-Lander-Fraser
Hendricks-Gordon-Gazdic

Ference-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Nikitin-Schultz

Scrivens

:rip:

I dunno man, Colorado has a habit of making GBS threads the bed against bad teams, I mean last year Edmonton loving wrecked us that one time

Sciserf
Nov 18, 2012
Man, the Oilers blatant tank job sure is making it so no one feels bad about the NHL rigging the lotto so Arizona gets a franchise saving player.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sciserf posted:

Man, the Oilers blatant tank job sure is making it so no one feels bad about the NHL rigging the lotto so Arizona gets a franchise saving player.

You mean Seattle. Because I doubt Arizona will be around by the time Eichel hits the NHL. :v:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

You mean Seattle. Because I doubt Arizona will be around by the time Eichel hits the NHL. :v:

Their arena out clause isn't usable until 2017, I think. Maybe Glendale becomes a better draw in that time, who knows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me 5 times...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So can we dust off those Eberle to the Habs rumors or shoukd we wait until the deadline?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

"We are here to win the Cup. It starts with me. We will not rest until we bring a Cup home to Arizona." - Andrew Barroway

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

hifi posted:

"We are here to win the Cup. It starts with me. We will not rest until we bring a Cup home to Arizona." - Andrew Barroway

Did he specify Stanley Cup? Because maybe he meant a different kind of cup, like a Dixie cup.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hifi posted:

Said at his new Tucson estate on his Day With the Cup c/o the new Kansas City Scouts.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
tbh, I think Perron had more value to Edmonton on the team than a late 1st that they will gently caress up. He's a good top six player on a relatively cheap deal ($3.8 per this year and next) and he's still only 26.

At the very least, they should have gotten more than a late first and a throw away player.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

tbh, I think Perron had more value to Edmonton on the team than a late 1st that they will gently caress up. He's a good top six player on a relatively cheap deal ($3.8 per this year and next) and he's still only 26.

At the very least, they should have gotten more than a late first and a throw away player.

I'm surprised they didn't ask for one of the Pen's many d prospects. Pens wouldn't have given up Pouliot but you would think the Oilers would have been able to pry away Dumoulin or Harrington. But I suppose maybe if they do that they get a second instead of a first, and the Oilers do have a decent amount of good d prospects iirc.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm surprised they didn't ask for one of the Pen's many d prospects. Pens wouldn't have given up Pouliot but you would think the Oilers would have been able to pry away Dumoulin or Harrington. But I suppose maybe if they do that they get a second instead of a first, and the Oilers do have a decent amount of good d prospects iirc.

All of whom the Oilers are well on their way to screwing up.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

tbh, I think Perron had more value to Edmonton on the team than a late 1st that they will gently caress up.

Maybe as a talent, but you can't let team cancers who question the oiler way like perron continue to infect the locker room

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Great, another infection spread to the Pens.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Menamino posted:

Maybe as a talent, but you can't let team cancers who question the oiler way like perron continue to infect the locker room

Trying to infect the locker room with winning is NOT the Oiler way.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

THE MACHO MAN posted:

oilers traded away penner years ago for a first and like colton teubert. the first turned into klefbom who is just now starting to break into the nhl, teubert was so bad hes playing in the DEL now at 24 years old

this is pretty much the same thing

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

grack posted:

All of whom the Oilers are well on their way to screwing up.

I don't think even the Oilers can gently caress up Darnell Nurse, he's gonna own

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

fits posted:

oilers traded away penner years ago for a first and like colton teubert. the first turned into klefbom who is just now starting to break into the nhl, teubert was so bad hes playing in the DEL now at 24 years old

this is pretty much the same thing

To be fair, in that Penner trade they also got a conditional 3rd that turned into a Russian winger that's scored 5 points in 55 KHL games.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Dirty Burger posted:

I don't think even the Oilers can gently caress up Darnell Nurse, he's gonna own

Quoting this for 3-4 years from now.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
The Blackhawks have recalled Teuvo Teravainen.

:getin::hellyeah::getin:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

dominator posted:

About loving time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

dominator posted:

Guess Versteeg's hand is dead then. He was actually pretty good this year on that line with Kane and Richards. :(

So its probably safe to assume Sharp goes back to 2nd line, but Im kinda curious how Q will organize that bottom 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dominator posted:

Aww, my dad lives near Rockford and was all excited about having Teuvo playing out there.

• Locked thread