Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why is there a Fire Emblem game scheduled? The last one was a catastrophe, and as a fan of the series, FE games have to be some of the most uninteresting speedruns in the world to actually watch, even if the planning behind them can be interesting if you know the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not the same FE game but all of them are equally boring to watch someone else play, especially in video format, for three hours, going through every menu as fast as humanly possible.

The last one was a catastrophe for reasons that apply to every FE game, any way. 90% random chance and 10% doing the same things over and over to manipulate that random chance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The FE8 run is more uncomfortable than anything. The dude just seems so apologetic and sad by the end, and not in a funny way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I don't care for 99% of RPG runs to begin with; even when they go off the rails like they should, there's often a lot of repetition and down time which winds up going on for hours. The Fire Emblem games strike me as just about the worst RPG out there for an interesting speedrun. I'm sure it can be done well, it just can't be done repeatedly and on demand like is necessary for a marathon.
I'm friends with the guy who has the FE6 speedrun on SDA. The ideas behind the run - the planning, what units to use, what to do on each map, etc - are interesting to fans of the series, but even though I know the guy and talked to him throughout his planning for the run, I've never made it more than twenty minutes into the actual video of the run.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crain posted:

This video confuses me. Is this dude rebroadcasting a SGDQ run, commentating on it, while also running Pokemon Statdium 2 in the background?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea ok posted:

mine is taz

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though who wants to read about speedrunner drama and why

calling people autistic while being deeply invested in the lives of people who play super monkey ball moderately well is the weirdest poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spermgod posted:

i dont think you have to be deeply invested to think the idea of some guys mormon wife getting a train run on her at the speedrun convention is funny
i dont really care about whose wife gets a train run on her actually

the sex lives of video game people are not a thing i care about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crain posted:

I just rewatched the TASbot segment from AGDQ14. If this year's TASblock can even come close to matching that then I'll have everything I want from this marathon.
who's run a train on the TASbot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Bad games usually have better runs than good games, because imo at least watching someone play a game pretty well isn't nearly as interesting as watching someone break the heck out of a game.
i don't think 'bad' is necessarily right so much as 'glitchy'

ocarina of time is a good game but it's also glitchy as gently caress and the runs exploit that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SeXReX posted:

he's there but the new rule is no cosplay unless it's related to the run.
does that apply to plushies too

will the touhou plushies no longer be there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty sure the balding bespectacled Indian fellow is there in the background for every game and I have no idea what he even runs.
male pattern baldness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spudd posted:

A... God Cranky? :what:

These guys aren't creative at naming things but love naming them, huh?
they need something to refer them as besides 'that thing where cranky...'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Nono I'm curious now, where'd you pick up all the information on microphones? :v:
Works in audio, would be my guess?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

and a GamerGate shoutout with the inclusiveness jibe, gently caress 'im
whatd he say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Man this commentator is real bad at talking.

Like I'm not even being mean to him, he just kinda is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

gently caress whoever did the sound design for Banjo Kazooie
The music is amazing but BREEEE HAHAHAHAHHA ABREEEEE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Most people don't roll and do long jumps all game tho...
yeah instead you HUTHUTHUTHUTHUTHUT BWOOOOOO HUTHUTHUT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the speedrunning hype made me gently caress another man's wife

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Lol that is easily the douchiest part of that entire thing. I've never really given a poo poo about the actual 'scandal' since they're all adults and made their own decisions, whatever, but lmfao he banged with a dude's wife then took to a public forum to smugly lecture him on what a great a catch she is. What an rear end in a top hat :lol:
and also talked about how great a guy he is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

All this mumblesinging.

Come on, belt that poo poo out!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all of them shuffling awkwardly, half-ashamed, afraid someone will laugh at them

either you sing live and learn or you don't, jesus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least they aren't doing shadow the hedgehog, where they'd have to mumblesing 'i am all of me, walk into my mystery, step inside and hold on for dear life'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bulk and skull are his backup in case the speedrun gets heavy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm talking more along the lines of the level designs in generations it just goes from cool, cheery looking levels and now sonic is in a loving hellscape fighting godzilla lizards.

Like where did it all go wrong.
being in a hellscape fighting godzilla lizards is cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make fun of him but dont weep bloody tears

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

If I hadn't looked at this thread I wouldn't have known I wasn't supposed to like this run because some cosplay nerd thinks he can do so much better
yeah, how dare someone who cosplays insult the good people of the awesome games done quick marathon

wait

hrm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this run sucked but doctorwhocosplayman getting mad owned hard, run of the day imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm just getting a little fed up of the mediocre runs that have characterized so much of the marathon so far.
Going for world records or even personal bests isn't really the point of the marathon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bholder posted:

Team Rose? Really?

Isn't Team Dark the best with the constant "ANNIHILATE DESTROY, USELESS CONSUMER MODEL"
team rose is the shortest, so count your blessings

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

"sure this Super Metroid speedrunner doesn't know how to mockball, but 99.999999% of humanity doesn't know what a mockball is, so does it really matter?"
it doesn't matter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This run loving owns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I think they are but DSS just talks a lot, and I think it's sort of expected that the couch gives deference to the runner.

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, the couch people are mainly there if the runner doesn't want to/isn't comfortable commentating while playing
They probably made this more of a hard rule after some of the stuff from last year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, Sanae plushie spotted.

EDIT: Also, 'those eggman's robots.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MrBims posted:

Why do Amy and bunnygirl push Big around and then wave their hands in the air as their victory fanfare thing?
They want to give him a pat on the shoulder but he's too big.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hahaha, he tossed amy and big into the goal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Swan Curry posted:

So to be clear, Big the cat is a retarded fisherman?
Whose best friend is a frog.

Not an anthropomorphic frog, just a normal frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The game is surprisingly entertaining, too.

• Locked thread