Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope they let the cut scenes play. They're... special.

FWIW, TekWar the game is based on TekWar the television series, not TekWar the series of ghostwritten novels supposedly by Willian Shatner. But that means that the cutscenes used the television production...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, we might as well chat up which runs we're looking forward to. Besides the Awful Games Done Quick block which is inevitably packed with the most interesting runs of the most interesting games (thanks, but I've seen Mega Man run dozens of times... Trio the Punch? Sign me up!), I am eagerly awaiting Crazy Taxi because it strikes me as a pretty complicated game to run, Jedi Knight since it is sure to be insanely glitchy, Descent because I want to know if Dramamine is involved, and Vanquish because it's a crazy enough game on its own that a one-handed run must be amazing. Also, the arcade block is a cool addition though I'm not sure the game choices are going to be wildly entertaining...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, I feel that. He didn't seem like he failed to practice his game any but it kinda looked like he got really boned on the RNG. Maybe it was a lack of foresight to put that game forward in the first place but drat it wasn't a funny trainwreck, it was just heartbreaking.

I don't care for 99% of RPG runs to begin with; even when they go off the rails like they should, there's often a lot of repetition and down time which winds up going on for hours. The Fire Emblem games strike me as just about the worst RPG out there for an interesting speedrun. I'm sure it can be done well, it just can't be done repeatedly and on demand like is necessary for a marathon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

no power shovel either :smith:

Power Shovel needs a comeback because they didn't clear the game the first time. They only cleared the special challenge mode. They need to do the arcade mode in which the shovel fights a volcano (or digs a trench to stop lava; same difference really).

Power Shovel is the best game that the marathon introduced to me. It's really a lot of fun to play...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

One of my favorite moments from last year's AGDQ was the Starcraft 2 run. It happened during "prime time" 7-11pm and the room was full for whatever has on before, empty during the run and then for the late night Half-Life runs that followed it, completely packed.

Wasn't that one of those runs that went on forever, too? Ugh.

A big surprise for me last year was that Halo run. Or was it Halo 2? I don't care enough about the series to know which game is which, obviously, but the runner did a great job of taking a game I don't give a drat about and putting on an interesting show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dizz posted:

Can't wait to donate to the same game that's been ran in every marathon.

Ignoring the boring troll, I actually use those times to catch up on the runs of more interesting things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope there's no problems at the beginning because I'm skipping the Tropical Freeze run since I don't want to watch a run for a game I'm planning on playing. And really I don't want to come in on it when they're 90% of the way through the game...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evilalien posted:

The reddit thread with vod links is up now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2ra5rw/agdq_vods_thread_2015/

Unfortunately it might not be that useful this year as the vods are already getting muted.

Well, so much for catching up on interesting runs from the middle of the night when they're playing the boring games during the day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crain posted:

Whoever said that the donations get really depressing wasn't kidding. This is getting ridiculous.

You think it's depressing now, consider the fact that some of these people are making these stories up for the sake of the ego boost of having their donation read.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The stream has picked up a ghost!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Getting off the marriage speedrun (lovely person%), those hats they're offering as a donation prize look god awful. I'd donate $5 to not be entered into a drawing to win one of them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Natalya Fartz posted:

And somehow they put it directly after Banjo, which is a nice 5 hour block of lovely boring collectathons.

And ten minutes into a two hour race, one racer is a minute behind with effectively no chance to catch up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Someone I know just died from cancer. I better get that donation to AGDQ in now so they can read it on the stream!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

Look at one then look at the others 30secs later

Watch the major transitions. The one on the left is over a minute ahead and the one in the middle is about fifteen seconds behind the guy on the right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

gently caress all 100% runs

Just ones on Rare games.

The only good Rare games are Snake, Rattle, and Roll and Blast Corps. At least the first is being run this time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Why are you upset people are donating to a charity?

If someone they knew died "seconds ago", I would hope they would have something better to do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Synastren posted:

He's not complaining about the donations, he's complaining about the messages which all seem to involve a family member dying recently.

Hell, not even "recently"; what monster would complain about that? It was one message where the person died "second ago".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maybe the real out of control growth that is killing all of us are N64 collectathons.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

I think their god-awful game choices this year sucked any fun at all out on its own. Who really wants to watch 100% runs of horribly boring N64 games?

They always seem to do this on day one. It's like day one is for super boring games for six hours (though not always the marathon starter) before they get to something cool (TAS bot coming up), while the last day is dedicated to boring JRPG's.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I felt kind of bad for him with his run going off the rails like that.

Or not off the rails as the case may be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

So was that awful MK Wii run freezing up and making horrible grating sounds every now and then or is my video card getting ready to take a poo poo again?

That was the stream rejecting it.

But now it is time for us to bow down to our high speed robotic overlords. Assuming the timing doesn't go off on them again. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

He was often starting in last because he kept burning out like an idiot.

That run sucked and it shouldn't have made it past cuts.

I'm positive that the burn out was intentional because he wanted to drop to the back for the items and he might as well do something at the start. Of course, I thought that just coasting the acceleration until you're about in sixth would maximize your chances for mushrooms while avoiding the "super" items that are useless and minimizing lost time for a run...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time they say "Something Artistic" I think they're saying "Something Autistic".

Egocentrism, I suppose.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

No I think it's several different fights and the room repeats itself?

I take back what I said about the guy skipping stuff, this game looks really loving boring and bad. It's not really the runner's fault, I suppose.

Yeah, the game shoved you through identical sections multiple times.

I think I gave up on playing this one about half an hour into it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I thought completely broken games were a thing of the past in these. I'm glad there's still things like "Oh yeah you can phase through walls" going on.

You have seen the most recent Assassin's Creed, right?

If anything completely broken games are bigger than ever!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've never heard of this game, but I'm impressed that they found a way to make Infamous even stupider.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Do we have links to the back up stream recordings yet? I want to watch someone make some crazy running while this Sonic stuff is on...

Edit: Found a YouTube channel doing it, though they seemed to go to bed around the same time I did: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWDU-iokgQTudah5-4kAIQ

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 5, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well he beat estimate.

By thirteen seconds.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Geight posted:

Blood is a cool game but I don't know anything about the speedrun;

I've never watched a Blood speed run but it's a build game and that means it'll be hilariously broken.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here we go!

Here we go!

Here we go!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Not only is the stream dead, I can't even get their twitch page to load...

Ha! All you have to do is complain and it comes right back!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Listen to all those enthusiastic F-Zero fans demanding the series comes back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

What they really need to do is have more E-SPORTS commentary like they did with Super Metroid last year.

You don't even need that, you just need to plan for someone to talk about the run even if it's not the runner. You could have a rotating team of moderators talking with people who run the game when the runner doesn't want to talk. But really, the solution is to just work to avoid dead air and let the runner decide how they want to handle it.

GDQ is a big complicated event and every year brings a different set of challenges. They fix things and then the next time there's new problems, sometimes caused by the solutions. This year they seem to have reacted to a lot of the bad behavior by clamping down hard at the cost of the energy and spontaneity.

theultimo posted:

Too many sponsors are turning the previously silly, fun ride into esports . Maybe for SGDQ they should, you know, play for fun :/

That's not going to happen. If there's one thing that's certain, it's that playing games fast is serious business.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Exploding across the finish line is the way to go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess there are so many 100% runs because they tend to be long and an easy way to fill up time. It's easy to have one game for like three hours with a runner than try to find six people willing to travel out there to do six half-hour Any% runs.

You have seen the pile of rejected runs, right? If there's one thing they're not lacking is volunteers to fill time.

I think the real travesty is not making Awful Games Done Quick a solid 24 hour block. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

They needed a touhou game that hadn't been run in a *GDQ? *shrug*

The error in that sentence is including "needed" with "touhou".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Now Whizz is a terrific game for speedrunning.

As they do a completely random button press. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like Whizz came from an alternate universe where the ZX Spectrum was as big as the NES

You really can smell that European developer on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Yep, originally on Amiga. And most Amiga games were pretty much C64 games with shiny gradient-heavy graphics.

"Tilting the camera makes it more real!" -- Every European Game Developers between 1987 and 1995

• Locked thread