Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Endorph posted:

The FE8 run is more uncomfortable than anything. The dude just seems so apologetic and sad by the end, and not in a funny way.

Yeah, I feel that. He didn't seem like he failed to practice his game any but it kinda looked like he got really boned on the RNG. Maybe it was a lack of foresight to put that game forward in the first place but drat it wasn't a funny trainwreck, it was just heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Al Borland posted:

I wish they were playing the simpsons arcade game.

There's not really much to it as a speedgame. Relentlessly mash special attack for approximately 15 minutes.

EDIT: HEY HEY COME ON OVER AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH CUHRAAAYYZEE TAXIII

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAHHH

crazy taxi is excellent

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 5, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

pisshead posted:

You could say that about everything I've seen on this stream so far. In fact I don't think I've seen a game where you can go visibly much faster than the average player.

i actually couldn't, Ristar, Heady and Streets Of Rage were all sick as gently caress and all of them were appreciably faster than I could do on a normal playthrough. I have actually speedrunned (speedran? Spedran? Ah gently caress it) Simpsons Arcade in the past and the distinction between speedrunning and simple decent play isn't appreciable enough for me to prefer it as a speedgame. Simpsons Arcade in general is a fairly simplistic beat 'em up.

not making GBS threads on the game or anything, I like Simpsons Arcade and all but I've actually tried my hand at it before and it kinda ain't great to speedrun.

CUHRAZY TAXIIIIIIIIII yo I'm so excited this run is great

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I had no idea the different drivers in Crazy Taxi actually had different stats. :psyduck:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Say no to Team Rose :colbert:

FOLLOW ME INSIDE

OUTSIDE

THROOUGH THE STRATOSPHERE

team rose is in fact the greatest, but really though I would be inclined to support it because Big the cat can do some wacky poo poo and its pretty incredible. Team Sonic and Dark are pretty vanilla iirc but Chaotix was interesting enough in the base game that a speedrun of it might be cool but I've never seen it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Now this is off to a strong start.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

This is goddamn incredible, it looks so absurdly fast.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Wasn't it last year where some dude did loving MINECRAFT? There are some games I have no idea why they even allow at the event.

minecraft set seed any% speedrunning is actually interesting if only from the logistical standpoint of how the seeding algorithm was reverse engineered to produce the most useful seed for speed, that's kind of neat.

also the general strategy of using detonating beds in The End to kill the dragon caught me off-guard because that's actually really clever. It's also a fairly brief run so it's over before you know it if you don't like it. Plus the finish where the guy accidentally suicided into the ending portal was funny and unexpected and yet it still works.

basically minecraft in the right circumstances is actually cool and okay, but they were actually planning on having an almost 2 hour simple Any% (no seed) done by two LP'ers before it was kicked off the schedule because neither of them were taking it seriously enough.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

biznatchio posted:

The devs and the runners have really good chemistry on this. Their commentary is great.

The game itself is pretty exceedingly mediocre but if nothing else this is an excellent example of good commentary, chemistry and energy making an otherwise meh run pretty drat enjoyable.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

"build onyx"

i have no idea what ya'll are bitching about this is delightful

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Critical posted:

At least there's no loving awful Resident Evil run this time.

my boy tekkie's doing silent hill which is kinda like a resident evil so gently caress you nerd

survival horror speedruns rule

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Al Borland posted:

I'm skeptical of this.

why? it's pretty demonstrably true if you just look at the schedule.

FF7 is some broken rear end game but it does take a decent while of the usual boring JRPG fare before it really gets going, but it gets going and it's pretty special when it does.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zurreco posted:

Err, what? I verified the current SDA run and that ended up being almost 7 hours. What the hell did they discover?

Stuff! And things!

also SDA is almost always ridiculously out of date in its verification system, the gap between stuff being submitted and stuff being available for verification is sometimes months and a lot can transpire in months.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zurreco posted:

I didn't see anything content wise that wasn't fairly optimized, so there has to be some zany skips in place

I think you'll be in for a treat.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

understand why they want Touhou games but don't do the official games (all shmups and fighting games)

Double Spoiler and Shoot The Bullet are actually really speedrunnable shmups as a consequence of how unique they are in the genre and I think was actually supposed to be at an SGDQ but didn't happen due to the runner being unable to make it. Here's Double Spoiler Done Quick, it's cool.

anyway what's there to get, people like thing and they also like other thing so put things together and acquire even better thing. I know it doesn't actually work that way but the thinking isn't completely beyond comprehension.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Critical posted:

In defense of your father if you were my kid I'd be nauseous all the loving time too.

:iceburn:

loving wow

anyway I submit that touhou fangames are cool and you are all pissbabbies

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Jibo posted:

45 minutes of pedo bullshit. :geno:

bugger off

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

actually I take it back this does suck

pedoshit is still a bit strong mind you but the grand tradition of goons kneejerking to the weirdest loving conclusions has to be carried on by someone.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

"Super Metroid bid war and I'm not going to actually explain what it means like the person asked because lol."

not knowing anything about who actually does the announcing but surely the chance that they just don't know themselves is non-zero?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Aren't bullet hells all auto scrolling? Can you even speed run those really?

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TGRj4zFCqA

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I wasn't tuned in long enough to see what you were talking about, I don't think, but at a guess, suggestive art of suspiciously-endowed grade-schoolers?

i like it when people clearly don't know what they're talking about but post anyway

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Someone obviously knows an organizer. There is no way this deserved a primetime slot.

This isn't primetime and I also submit that you don't have any idea how the game selection process actually works for a GDQ

basically you're a moron

Gibbo posted:

AGDQ has a huge history of runs being admitted on the basis of who you know, much like everything else in life.

lmao no it doesn't what the hell are you talking about

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Gibbo posted:

It's not latenight yet. This could have easily been swapped with the rogue-lite block.

it likely couldn't have been because timetabling a marathon is a logistical clusterfuck of clashing schedules, I'm not saying the schedule as it is is the only way it could've possibly been but this poo poo isn't thrown together with no sense.

everytime you want to say something stupid about the timetabling or how it would've been "easy to do" this or that, I want you to not because nothing about the organisational side of this event is particularly easy and you just want stuff to bend to your personal opinions anyway.

like I'm not even watching the run because fire emblem bores the poo poo out of me but man are you whiny and wrong about it

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Are there even?

probably yeah but because it's something even vaguely akin to a JRPG people are still going to whinge themselves inside out when it comes on.

People complained about the KH run during Crystals For Life which is a speedrun marathon exclusively populated by JRPGs which is the most baffling complaint I ever did see.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i know this is the dorkiest thing in the world to say but woah that menuing is wicked fast

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

see I totally believe those numbers as well but still lol vgchartz

your point is still dumb

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

But like, how many people still care about Kingdom Hearts was what I was asking, not how much KH2 sold back in the day.

A lot of people, man. I care! KH is cool.

His point is correct but it's still dumb.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i already wish I was there so I could commentate this silent hill run instead

this nerd doesn't even do the quick opening strategy, COME ON

EDIT: Fun fact, we counted the steps coming out of the cafe to reach the first key to determine whether it was faster to go left or right out of the cafe at the start. Going camera left is faster by like 5 steps and thus roughly a second!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

In addition to being an underrated game, Silent Hill 4 is a fun speedrun.

silent hill 4 is not a fun loving speedrun who the gently caress told you that

god drat it do not even joke about that

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

oh holy gently caress he forgot the rifle and he won't notice for another 20 minutes

unless he's doing good+ that's pretty lol

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Oh good, he is doing good+ hence no rifle.

granted I really wanted to see what would happen at the last boss when he realised he didn't have enough ammo to complete it and would have to dodge lasers for minutes until the boss dies of its own accord but ok, roll on tekkie.

was good+ a donation incentive or something

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

MVP posted:

Silent Hill and classic Resident Evils are almost guaranteed to be boring.

You're boring

edit: I love you too, Tekkie.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

that is actually both a PB and a WR for that particular category of Good+

the thingie says Any% but good+ is distinctly not any% so nah

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

aside from that jennifer boss fight quick kill which was admittedly sick as gently caress, I don't get speedrunning this. The stages are entirely auto scrolling.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Still better than fire emblem.

And not everyone has the skill or time to grind out super mario 64 I guess?

Speedruns exist because people sperg out over things, and you never know what game someone will decide to fixate on.

actually it's not better than fire emblem because that game goes appreciably and notably faster on a speedrun where that just kinda didn't

nobody speedruns rhythm games or most shmups and would be laughed at for trying to do so because they are entirely fixed in how long they take, yes? Splatterhouse was kinda straddling that line. I'm not like super offended by it or anything either, just puzzled at the notion of speedrunning a game that's 80% autoscroller.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Gibbo posted:

but at least now it's not a potentially high traffic time, and it still had more viewers than fire emblem.

neither of these things were the point you blithering loving moron I'm trying to talk about splatterhouse

i don't loving care that you didn't like fire emblem, goddamn.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Gibbo posted:

And you didn't like a game for X reason. Oh no autoscroller not a great speedrun. At least it didn't waste 3 hours of stream time.

I don't think you understand that "I didn't like thing" is usually not a cue to jump in and start incessantly chanting "well it was better than this other thing that I've been bitching about for the past gently caress knows how many pages nonstop but has no relevance to the thing currently being talked about" which by the way holy poo poo the loving irony of your own post really is lost on you isn't it.

and my post wasn't even just straightforward disapproval, I said that I didn't get speedrunning it because it seemed like mostly auto scroller, like did I miss something there? Was he doing anything to expedite the stages progress or is he just confined to the stage scroll because it didn't look like he could do much to actually speed most of the game up.

you really are just looking for any excuse to bang on about how much you hated the fire emblem run which is bafflingly pathetic, gently caress off dude.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Swan Curry posted:

The other guy's a dumbass but Jesus, calm down, you're getting near Doctorwhat levels of mad.

yeah but I'm right so gently caress that guy

on the matter of the actual game did the guy say why he was doing the secret levels?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

Lol rage quit. $750 well spent.

I only just got back, what's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

well he just died I guess!

• Locked thread