Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The benign stuff is bad enough, comments about friends and relatives dying from cancer interspersed with the superficial triviality of gaming as a hobby sort of depresses me every time.

Still looking forward to AGDQ, but the donation comments are not a high point.
There's a lot of good ones I really like though. Such as when someone leaves a comment that the runner knows personally either through stream following or otherwise and acknowledged by the runner with genuine appreciation of their support, saying how far back they go or stuff they did to help the runner or something like that which really reinforces the community atmosphere the event has.

Or when someone knows the runner and tries to mess with them in harmless fashion or does so by accident. Like during Striker's SNES Empire Strikes Back run at SGDQ 2014, someone put in like a $50 or $55 donation with just the comment "Hey striker. Sup." which was funny enough to break his focus momentarily. There's another that I can't remember the run it was during or the runner at the time, it might've been during a Diddy Kong Racing run, but the runner in question said something about Pipsy sucking or something early on, but the exchange when the donation came in was something like:

"Best of luck in your marathon run, it's a good cause you're working for" with the reader just asks if the runner prefers to save or kill the animals in Super Metroid. I think the runner chose to kill the animals, then the reader continued the comment:
"In that case, put this $10 towards saving the animals. See [runner_name]? That's what you get for trying to talk bad about Pipsy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread