Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As a bonus, the Tekwar game was made by Capstone, the incredibly mediocre FPS studio behind Corridor 7 and the Witchaven games, using a version of the BUILD engine (Duke Nukem 3D) that was so early it doesn't have sloped surfaces.

It's a trifecta of crap that makes it perfect for marathons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Don't worry folks, GDQ is nothing if not an innovator, and the embarrassing poo poo pulled by runners and donation comments that will invariably result in the premature death of this thread will be, if nothing else, unpredictable. Your expectations will be surpassed, probably by way of clipping through a wall, and overcome by something way weirder and dumber that will be joked about for the entire year between marathons. And you will hate it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of goofy nerd outfits, the Yetee shirts are up. This year's variant on the whole Save The Animals/Kill The Animals thing is pretty clever...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If we're done stressing to the point of hair loss over hypotheticals and what-ifs, here's a couple of things to chuck in the OP: l'Restream Français and the schedule for it's, shall we say, équipe de commentateurs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The VODs thread is up on Reddit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crap, looks like they blew past their estimate. RESET!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Humble AGDQ Bundle is up!

Pay $1:
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Volgarr the Viking

Pay $6:
30 days of Twitch Turbo
Shantae: Risky's Revenge Directors Cut
SpeedRunners + Youtuber Packs 1 & 2 DLC

Pay $10:
Escape Goat 2
3 month subscription to XSplit Premium

Pay $30:
TheYetee AGDQ Merch Pack

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

androo posted:

E: What happened with Uyama? I thought romscout was only doing SGDQ.
He's been sick for a couple of weeks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

theultimo posted:

OMG the world is over, how to you break the hypervisor on a SGB to break an snes??!
The Super Game Boy fully supports taking over the SNES and running SNES code off a GB cart. Space Invaders used this to include a native SNES version of the game on the GB cart.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Equilibrium posted:

I sort of get how they were feeding Twitch chat to the SNES but I really don't know how the hell they got the faces in there. That was wizardry.
When they were piping their "takeover" code over the controller cables, they also piped over a small amount (probably 4kb or less) of graphics data for the font and fake chat bar. The emotes were probably just part of the font.

Same way they piped all the SMB1 tiles into SMW for their other Robot Party Trick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

parasyte posted:

I'd love to see a total control of psx games happen, but I dunno if the emulators are accurate enough. I'm surprised n64 tasbot scripts work as it is since that system is still poorly emulated.
PSX Total Control has been flirted with via a Symphony of the Night save corruption trick similar to what was used to kick off TASbot's Pokemon shenanigans, but the results currently aren't any flashier than "HEY GAME, RUN THE CREDITS!". A new, accurate TAS-centric emulator (PSX core for Mednafen/Bizhawk) is in beta so that might advance efforts in that regard.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Amnesia is also a fun OOB-heavy run.

weekly font posted:

I dunno, turning Tomb Raider into dopey skywalking Mirror's Edge has been way cooler than expected so far.
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are so down on this run - he could use a good couch commentator but watching this game get broken so badly is pretty fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Does he have a twitch channel?
The commentator? http://www.twitch.tv/Blechzorz

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ars Technica did an interview with the organizer of the TASbot team.

DwangoAC posted:

When Masterjun later took p4plus2's standalone .smc ROM file of SMB on an SNES and ported it to execute inside of SMW, he initially did not include the SPC initialization to write the audio data, [which] thus pointed to whatever SMW left there ... The result was extremely surprising — nearly every single sound effect from SMW matched up to SMB perfectly, with some minor exceptions such as the flagpole. ... it's possible to run SMB on SNES standalone, but we did discover by pure chance that the SMW developers apparently re-used the same general [sound] mappings from SMB.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

at least they aren't doing shadow the hedgehog, where they'd have to mumblesing 'i am all of me, walk into my mystery, step inside and hold on for dear life'
Hey man, Shadow the Hedgehog is a fantastic, well programmed ga

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bholder posted:

We really need Sonic 06 speedrun.

It actually does have some broken speedrun things in it.
DarkSpinesSonic did a quick glitch run of Sonic and Silver's stories last year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I was asleep for that one. I'll catch the VOD.
Sounds like you didn't get nearly enough sleep.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

Blood is a cool game but I don't know anything about the speedrun
Cubeface has been practicing it on Twitch, it has some fun tricks. You will believe an undead vampiric cowboy can fly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Blood is a Build Engine game, right? Does it get as completely twisted around as Duke 3D does?
He doesn't turn rooms inside-out, but there's some funny weird engine quirks like a cloud layer over a death pit having a solid "rim" you can walk on for sequence-breaking fun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Faust IX posted:

Somewhere, one of the developers of this game is giggling like a madman and has no idea why.
There was an interview with one of the developers in Retro Gamer Magazine last year. Apparently the dev team had the attitude of "there's nothing worse than a game that's too easy" throughout production.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

This NES is possessed
Is it PJ's?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Damo posted:

Why do people have to loving psychoanalyze and critique this event so god drat much. It's a bunch of people playing video games for fun and charity. It's not going to be perfect. Just enjoy it and stop complaining about every single little thing.
The only serious regression from previous years I've really noticed is the lack of crowd mic. Outside of that, things seem pretty business as usual to me. v:geno:v

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hello, and welcome to Awesome Games Crashed Quick 2015.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

EDIT: Anyone know why Mike's not running it this year?
He's been pretty sick with mono for a while. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

Someone is going to get murdered by their crazy wife?
Blasto was Phil Hartman's final role before, well... :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's a pity this isn't the goofy English translation.

LUCKY! CHA CHA CHA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

raditts posted:

Was Super Pitfall a bad game? I remember playing it back in 1995 because it was the first game to come out for Windows 95, but I don't remember it being that bad.
I remember the ending being loving retarded though.
That was Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. This Super Pitfall is a NES game. A terrible one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Did anyone figure out if it was legit or a joke? I was thinking it was the latter
He was wearing and jokingly shilled them at the end of his Half-Life 1 run in whatever marathon it was, so I think he tried to continue that joke without taking into account that people tend to forget things that happened a year+ ago, and failed miserably.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just off camera - a laptop loaded to Bulbapedia that Werster's reading off of.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Watching the last part of this just made me want to see Bayonetta, do they not do that because it's all mature? You can skip all of the cutscenes!

I'll settle for Vanquish I guess.
They've done Madworld in a previous marathon, and that uses profanity like punctuation. They basically treated it as a way to fill up the swear jar with donations. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

I still don't get why the Humble Bundle was selected with such games. I get why Speedrunners is in it, as it seems to be the only actual thing Tinybuilders has to do with AGDQ, but what did Volgarr the Viking had to do with it? I was honestly a little bummed to find out Volgarr wasn't even being run, as I honestly liked to saw a speedrun of it in the middle of some Ghost N Goblin block.
The Volgarr devs made a big donation at some point, so I'm guessing they got involved because they support the marathon and it's cause.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Look man, we gotta find out if Uyama is in cahoots with Big Boss.
Vitesse-Coureurs Sans Frontières

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Little videos explaining individual speedrunning tricks might be a nice way to kill time between runs.

• Locked thread