Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Avshalom posted:

I've gone back to digital media, because the only traditional tools I have are a fax pen and an HB pencil and it was getting annoying.

This is better, tho the closest eye is floaty & a bit big, and the nose & mouth look like they're fighting against being in 3/4 view. Are you drawing in line first or blocking stuff in piece by piece? I find it's real easy to lose track of proportions when I do the latter. If you do a solid set of lines (even checking against the photo ref once or twice to see if you're massively off) and keep them on their own layer you p much only need to worry about the volume from there on out.

WIP copy of Sargent's Head of a Capri Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Avshalom posted:

I've gone back to digital media, because the only traditional tools I have are a fax pen and an HB pencil and it was getting annoying.

(I don't have much time, so I did this very quickly.) Anyway, I've had huge problems with facial/cranial proportions, so here's one way I check my proportions:

Eva
Nov 8, 2003

Kikkerspion
I reaaaaaally wanna get back into drawing. Haven't really drawn anything since high school (I'm 32 now...), and I've been recently going to model drawing sessions, but it's really hard and I have no idea wtf I'm doing. It's pretty frustrating, if you guys know any good gesture drawing tutorials, please let me know.

Anyway, I figured I'd try drawing a frog (from reference: http://i.imgur.com/ClUijUr.jpg), as per this month's theme!

Not sure how to do the skin texture properly. This made me understand that I need to buy proper pencils, also.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
My parents asked for a nice portrait of my household.

My dogs are much classier than I am.

Reset_Smith fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 7, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Avshalom posted:

yo this is looking pretty good but the perspective is reversed.

the level-lines of the facial features are converging towards the viewer. they should converge away from the viewer.

ugh, I hope to have some time soon so I can actually draw for this thread and not just talk :shobon:

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Eva posted:

I reaaaaaally wanna get back into drawing. Haven't really drawn anything since high school (I'm 32 now...), and I've been recently going to model drawing sessions, but it's really hard and I have no idea wtf I'm doing. It's pretty frustrating, if you guys know any good gesture drawing tutorials, please let me know.

Anyway, I figured I'd try drawing a frog (from reference: http://i.imgur.com/ClUijUr.jpg), as per this month's theme!

Not sure how to do the skin texture properly. This made me understand that I need to buy proper pencils, also.

Welcome back into the loop! Great looking frog there, real crisp. You don't exactly look rusty.

Anyway, here are a few resources for you:
A video on figure drawing by Stan Prokopenko, who has a lot of videos on drawing people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

All the references you could ever want, they a few hundred pins on gesture too:
http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

And for the heck of it, the coolest collection of figure drawing techniques I know of:
http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eva posted:

That's a drat good frog though. I think the skin texture actually looks really good, you might just want to hit the parts that are shiny in the source pic with an eraser to make him look a bit shinier and slippery.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:unsmigghh: You guys have the patience of saints, oh my god. You're fab. I promise I'm actually taking everything on board and trying to improve.

This process started out as a way of learning digital painting way back in the day, so I had to kind of train myself into a phobia of solid lines. Anyway, I overcame that, drew all over my reference to see how the facial features lined up, and tried some line drawing, paying as much attention as I could to perspective. This is what I ended up with:

The second one is actually from the same photo as 06/01 and I think it looks a bit better - it's definitely a far better reproduction - so that's something at least!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

good, keep going. try to measure stuff by sighting with a pencil without touching the picture though, or else you'll have a hard time when you draw stuff from life

(not my drawing)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eva posted:

Don't worry, a bit of practice and you'l-

:stare: Huh, okay.

Edit: picked a photo of a frog and sketched it out in Photoshop, but there's sod all to show yet so I'll post something when I've worked on it some more.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mostly finished last nights drawing. Really wanted to start a new one and finish it but gently caress drawing this robe.

Eva
Nov 8, 2003

Kikkerspion

NESguerilla posted:

That's a drat good frog though. I think the skin texture actually looks really good, you might just want to hit the parts that are shiny in the source pic with an eraser to make him look a bit shinier and slippery.
I was actually aware that it lacks tone depth, and I really really wished I had a thin eraser so I could create highlights, but I only have a big fat eraser here with me. :( I'm in a weird country right now (Israel) and I have absolutely no idea how I would find an arts store, so I'll just wait a bit and buy proper drawing supplies soon when I visit home (France). :p Any suggestion for useful drawing supplies to have at one's disposal?

Thanks for the feedback in any case, it's very helpful. :)

noggut posted:

Welcome back into the loop! Great looking frog there, real crisp. You don't exactly look rusty.

Anyway, here are a few resources for you:
A video on figure drawing by Stan Prokopenko, who has a lot of videos on drawing people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

All the references you could ever want, they a few hundred pins on gesture too:
http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

And for the heck of it, the coolest collection of figure drawing techniques I know of:
http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/
Cooool, thanks a million!! I had started watching some Vilppu videos on gesture drawing, and tried applying it during the last model drawing sessions, but it somehow confused and frustrated me more, I don't know why.

All those links will be very helpful... I appreciate it. :) I'll check 'em out and start practicing on these.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Eva posted:

I was actually aware that it lacks tone depth, and I really really wished I had a thin eraser so I could create highlights, but I only have a big fat eraser here with me. :(
big fat eraser + sharp knife = any shape eraser you need

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I feel obligated to mention that in addition to being artistically great, that frog is also super-cute. :3:

Also super-cute:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ichthyostega! I've been laid up in bed most of this week but I managed to squeeze a speed-paint out

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

so I finally got some time to draw. I doodled a face in photoshop to make sure the stuff I was saying about drawing faces wasn't crap.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oops the themes about frogs and poo poo, sorry

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

a hole-y ghost posted:

oops the themes about frogs and poo poo, sorry

Thread salvaged.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lmao :thumbsup:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eva posted:

I was actually aware that it lacks tone depth, and I really really wished I had a thin eraser so I could create highlights, but I only have a big fat eraser here with me. :( I'm in a weird country right now (Israel) and I have absolutely no idea how I would find an arts store, so I'll just wait a bit and buy proper drawing supplies soon when I visit home (France). :p Any suggestion for useful drawing supplies to have at one's disposal?

I don't know if you can get ahold of one out there, but electric erasers are pretty great and would work for getting those little details on the frog.

I hosed up my drawing for the day and don't really feel like posting it. I was trying to draw this guy http://i1.wp.com/www.gerrypacher.ch/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Varanasi_DX_3566-Gerry_Pacher.jpg but I couldn't figure out how to make the paint on his face look right. Anyone have any ideas for going about that? I'm using pencil. I tried erasing parts and adding texture in but it looked like poo poo. I was thinking about chalk but that would probably look like poo poo in practice as well.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Some amphibians, vaguely fitting the monthly theme, including an air-breathing aquatic deer that eats crabs and a frog dragon:

And today's face. The dude in the photo had big eyes but I still think I drew them too large, plus the angle of the inner lid on the closest one is wrong. On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the nose!

E: Would it help if I started posting the reference photos? I didn't do it originally because I was working digitally and most of my reference material is several years old and saved without a source, so I couldn't give credit, but now I'm mostly working from magazines so that's not a problem anymore. On the other hand I'm not sure how helpful it would be, because I'm trying to learn how to draw faces, not copy photographs, and you all can tell when I've screwed up without the reference; I try to choose fairly beautiful people so that I'll know any irregularities of feature are my fault, not just a funny-looking model.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the thing you have to remember is that the face only really takes up the bottom half of the head. Given its importance in both emotion and recognition, almost everyone tends to overestimate the size of it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Hah, the face was actually even bigger originally! You can see the original line of the temple and hairline just off to the side. I always try to give them enough cranium to fit a brain in but for some reason there's this real instinct to put a huge face on a tiny little skull.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

His right eye looks a little too high; cover it with your finger and the rest of the face looks fine. The eye placement is angled, but his head isn't so it looks crooked.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh, that makes a lot of sense too! I see it now. Thank you.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
A value study. (Crocodile gotta be close enough.)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
A bit of a complicated angle for someone who can't even draw straight-on 3/4, but I'm actually kind of happy with it.

I had to erase a million times to try to get everything lined up. Luckily I'm not using one of my bargain-bin sketchbooks that disintegrate if you breathe on them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I wanted to give tracing another shot, but with something more detailed, as well as a different artist whose style I really respect. So, Stuart Immonen.

I might color her over the weekend. But I want this to be my last trace job. I feel like I've got more of a handle on the tablet now, and I want to get to work on actually creating something. Where should I go from here? I've got a copy of Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life. But I'm not going to be drawing from life. I'm going to be a cartoonist, an illustrator, a graphic novelist. I need to know my anatomy, but Bridgeman goes really deep into it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One thing you might want to try is tracing over something that isn't already a drawing, just to practice what line widths or drawing methods can best achieve what effects (i.e. thin cross hatched lines to show light shading or a thick brush with quick, wide strokes to fill in a dark head of hair etc.)

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 398 days!
Hi. I've started working out how to use my wacom properly, so please shout at me when I do things wrong. tia

Today's practice bit. Traced the lines and more or less made up the shading and coloring as I went along

It's green so there's your theme tie-in

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Revol posted:

I wanted to give tracing another shot, but with something more detailed, as well as a different artist whose style I really respect. So, Stuart Immonen.

I might color her over the weekend. But I want this to be my last trace job. I feel like I've got more of a handle on the tablet now, and I want to get to work on actually creating something. Where should I go from here? I've got a copy of Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life. But I'm not going to be drawing from life. I'm going to be a cartoonist, an illustrator, a graphic novelist. I need to know my anatomy, but Bridgeman goes really deep into it.
The thing with doing illustration, especially comic book-style illustration, is that you need to have a really good grasp of anatomy and constructive drawing, because, unlike a fine artist, you'll almost always need to be working without specific reference (i.e. you'll need to make up figures). So, somewhat counter-intuitively, life drawing (if you can) or photoreferenced pose+anatomy studies are even more essential for you than they would be for a fine artist.

Doing a lot of studies as well as doing imagined stuff (if you're going to do a comic or something, this is it) will help to build your understanding of anatomy. Stuff like Bridgman's is helpful because it abstracts human shapes in such a way as to emphasize what you should be paying attention to, but in order to really understand and develop your own style, it's important to do studies from life or photos in order to make your own observations on the shapes and connections between parts of the body and face so that you may then abstract them in your own personal way.

Drawing imagined figures and faces will help you to "test" all of your observations and see whether they look natural or not when you apply them.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
^ Seconding this 100%, anatomy is super important for drawing from imagination. Luckily that doesn't mean that you have to learn all the ins and outs of the body right off the bat. I'd recommend starting out with learning proportions and the most important muscle groups, and building onto it as you get better in other areas. At least for me, really learning how to draw all the muscles was simply too difficult at the point where I didn't know how to build complex volumes.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Well, I finally managed to get my creative groove back somewhat, and am experimenting with simple two tone colouring and three shade digital inking. This is by no means a finished piece, but I like it, and it works well enough for a concept.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Digital again. This time I focused on laying down a full set of lines before I started painting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your stuff has gotten noticeably better in the last 4 days that I've been checking this thread fwiw. I think you should do more sketchbook stuff. 9/1/15 is a huge improvement over previous stuff. Newest digital one looks good too though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I know I need to learn anatomy, I won't argue that. My point is that maybe Bridgman's is too much for me? Is there something more rudimentary, more tutorial?

wesley snypes posted:

Hi. I've started working out how to use my wacom properly, so please shout at me when I do things wrong. tia

What do you think changed for you? What are you doing different?

edit: I found a PDF I had kept that is also on figure drawing. But, like Bridgman's, it's more.. explanatory, with examples. I'd like step by step tutorials, with explanations on why I am drawing what I'm doing, or... something like that.

I drew this stick figure. I didn't check until after I was done to see that it was about eight heads big, so that was nice. Not sure if the proportions are right, though.

Revol fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 10, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Old guy off GIS today. Didn't come out too bad but drat wrinkles aren't in my comfort zone. Hair could use some work too.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I had a comic once, but it died because making pages took too long for me to fit in with anything resembling an adult life. I'm trying to figure out how to draw stuff more loosely so that I can churn out pages more quickly without it looking like poo poo.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Avshalom posted:

I had a comic once, but it died because making pages took too long for me to fit in with anything resembling an adult life. I'm trying to figure out how to draw stuff more loosely so that I can churn out pages more quickly without it looking like poo poo.

I really really like this and I think we have the same goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Decided to call it a day on this after yelling "God, I'm so sick of this loving frog!"

This was the reference pic; I've had a stab at some kind of lighting, but I just can't seem to comprehend how things are lit when they aren't in greyscale and I don't know how you'd even begin to start drawing the texture. Googling just brings up link after link of how to paste textures into things in Photoshop or examples of already-drawn texture, which isn't helping me learn how you create it in the first place. Can anyone give me some pointers on that?

• Locked thread