Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Did you have a good new year? Read some good comics? Bought too much in a Comixology sale and haven't even looked at most of them?!?! Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Whatever presents still unopened?

It's 2015. We're promised new Nonplayer and Orc Stain. Can either live up to their delays? (Orc Stain probably will). There will be a poo poo load of variants, events, editorial mandates and far too much Star Wars stuff. More good Image books than should be possible (everyone needs to buy 8house). Every TV show and film will be based on a comic book. Valiant's relaunch will probably go mostly unnoticed. People will be less angry?

Either way. Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My 17 year old niece was reading Hawkeye on her tablet through Comixology during the family Christmas get together. So at least I know she has some good taste.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Got a bunch of neat stuff. Got Defalco's Comics Creators on Spider-Man, another trade of Simonson's Thor run, Avengers: Endless Wartime and Batman Arkham City & Arkham Origins. I'm looking forward to the Agents of SHIELD comic (not had a chance to lay hands on it myself, but everything I've heard is good). Curious to see what the deal is with Convergence & Secret Wars.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The only comics stuff I got for Christmas was the Dr. Doom Funk Pop toy, which is awesome. That is my holiday haul. And, uh, I bought all 3 issues so far of The Fade Out for myself, if that counts!

What is 8house and why should I buy it?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

My 17 year old niece was reading Hawkeye on her tablet through Comixology during the family Christmas get together. So at least I know she has some good taste.

This is really, really cool. None of my relatives really have any interest in comics, except for my dad, but he doesn't buy much new stuff. I really need to get Ellis' Moon Knight for him some time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I got the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. Man is that weird. I forgot all about Lex Luthor Junior, his shapeshifting Supergirl girlfriend, the whole underworld thing...

My brother has always been big into comics, other family, not so much

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I got the box set with the first two Fantagraphics reprints of Don Rosa's duck comics. I'm hesitant to open it because it almost feels like spoilers for some of the unreleased Carl Barks books. :ohdear:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I bought myself the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers omni after Christmas because it owns.

I've spent too much money in Steam/Comixology/WiiU eShop sales (the eShop spending was partly to get money back before the Nintendo Network Premium deal ended).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The only comics stuff I got for Christmas was the Dr. Doom Funk Pop toy, which is awesome. That is my holiday haul. And, uh, I bought all 3 issues so far of The Fade Out for myself, if that counts!

What is 8house and why should I buy it?

8House is an upcoming number of connected fantasy/sci-fi series from Image. It's basically Brandon Graham and Emma Rios and bunch of other crazy good writers/artists getting to do a sprawling sci fi universe and whatever they want. It'll be like Prophet but with even more crazier and talented people getting to plot things out more. If you've read Prophet and Pretty Deadly you kind of know what to expect, if you haven't you should read those books too cos they are pretty great.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Thanks to Comixology's Image sale, I'm now reading Sex Criminals, Skullkickers, and Manhattan Projects (which I haven't cracked into yet, but come on, it's Hickman, I already know it's good). Adding those titles to East of West, Rat Queens and Saga means that Image is probably my favourite publisher right now (I've also read Lazarus this year, but even Rucka couldn't make Future Dystopia #6742 hold my interest).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I got the first volume of Monster for Christmas. I'm also reading The Jungle, so, y'know, happy reading for the summer (winter in you guys case I guess) break.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't get any comic stuff for Christmas because my family are all dumb or something.

Picked up the Original Sin OSHC for a crazy good deal, all the Cooke DC variants and some random other stuff.

I also got promoted to head of buying for our stores and am now doing the entire comic order process solo. Got a nice raise too so that's a good way to start 2015.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I didn't get any comic stuff for Christmas because my family are all dumb or something.

"Lurdiak, I never know what to get you for Christmas"

"Video games and comics"

"Oh you! Here's a gift card for Denny's."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I got mostly cool little geek things like a pair of Thor and Loki keychains(and a kickass chair), but also 45$...which was promptly thrown away accidentally by someone else, and not noticed until the next day.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
My family has basically learned not to get me any comics for Christmas, as it's very rare that I don't just end up getting them for myself if it's something I'd like. I think the only time a non-comics fan got me a comic as a gift was my ex at Christmas last year, and she completely blew me away by picking out Set to Sea by Drew Weing. I would've never known this comic existed and it fit my taste/aesthetic perfectly.

I did snag a messenger bag I would never have bought for myself (because of the price), and a TMNT Christmas sweater, though, so I'm happy.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I got the second Hickman Fantastic Four omnibus which I loved and made me realise that Mr Fantastic may be my favourite superhero, I also got the first volume of Rat Queens after seeing loads of recommendations for it and that was pretty cool too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a Millennium Falcon bottle opener. That's the only nerd thing I got.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

I got the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus. Man is that weird. I forgot all about Lex Luthor Junior, his shapeshifting Supergirl girlfriend, the whole underworld thing...

My brother has always been big into comics, other family, not so much

That is not Lex Jr. That is just a clone after his real body died of cancer.

I got myself the Batman 66 blu ray set. It is amazing.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I got my kids lots of Legos. I've been building a bat helicopter, a spider bike, a shield flying car, a jedi interceptor, and soon a nova spaceship and something else.

I've also built a pony farm, and a traditional farm and soon some Brave stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not Lex Jr. That is just a clone after his real body died of cancer.

Yeah but he masquerades as Lex's son.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doesn't that count as rape with Supergirl, considering he's faking who he is?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I got a Striker Eureka T-shirt, I gave my girlfriend a Mass Effect hoodie, and I bought myself Seven Soldiers of Victory.

One of my aunts gave me a novelisation of an old Doctor Who story. In braille.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Doesn't that count as rape with Supergirl, considering he's faking who he is?

If he was having sex with her, sure. I don't know if that was implied since I never read anything other than Death during that era.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My girlfriend got me some Batman decoration to put up on her tree. She also got me a copy of Habibi which I have wanted to add to my collection for a while.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I got some money, and with it I got myself a Winter Soldier hoodie. It's too big, but that's ok. Still, I walked into my LCBS and my guy there was asking me 'Did you read World War Hulks? Remember how the metal arm hulked up too? Yeah, that hoodie.'

:argh:

I also got myself Megahex on a friend's recommendation, but I haven't started it yet.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I decided to get myself a Lego Milano for xmas since it looks like it's out of production now. That was honestly about the only gift I got this year.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

In addition to some sweet goon-gifted trades, I got Godzilla: Half Century War, a Lego Bamtman/Riddler/Flash set, and the recent Batman Animated Mr. freeze and Two-Face action figures, so I was a pretty happy nerd this year.

Rhyno posted:

Picked up the Original Sin OSHC for a crazy good deal, all the Cooke DC variants and some random other stuff.

I also got promoted to head of buying for our stores and am now doing the entire comic order process solo. Got a nice raise too so that's a good way to start 2015.

Does this spell the end of stupid customer horror stories?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

Does this spell the end of stupid customer horror stories?

God I hope so.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This holiday I got the amazing anniversary collection of Moomin comic strips. This book is six pounds worth of amazing panel composition and some really cute stories. I also got the new Blacksad, which I have been slowly savoring over the past couple of days. All in all, two great comics for the new year.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Dr. Hurt posted:

This holiday I got the amazing anniversary collection of Moomin comic strips. This book is six pounds worth of amazing panel composition and some really cute stories. I also got the new Blacksad, which I have been slowly savoring over the past couple of days. All in all, two great comics for the new year.

Once I make it through my Little Nemo, I'm snagging that gigantic Moomin collection.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

It is really worth it. Fortunately it's not as big as the Little Nemo book. Although it's huge, its not too unwieldy which is nice. I have nothing but positive things to say about the quality of the Moomin strips.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dr. Hurt posted:

I also got Blacksad, and wow, what a book. I had heard it was great, but I stayed away because I'm not a fan of talking animal comics, but the book is so beautiful and expressive that it all works.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I finally got myself the first one and it is gorgeous, but I'm not gonna keep reading Blacksad, I think. It's got all the noir trope problems that irritate feminist me, plus a smidge of furry erotica.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Hurt posted:

This holiday I got the amazing anniversary collection of Moomin comic strips.
My brother and I got two of the Moomin books for my mother because she loves everything Moomin related (she owns a poo poo load of Moomin cups for example).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got Blacksad vol. 2 for xmas and will probably get vol. 3, but I did notice the weird gendering in there, specifically the fact that all the males are heavily animalised, particularly in the face, while all the women have big, pouty human lips and features.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I got volumes 25-28 of Usagi Yojimbo which makes my collection complete as of now (1-28, space, art of, the Sakai project, Yokai). I am only slightly annoyed by my copy of 1 being a different size, my copy of seven being hardback and the new saga books which are probably nicer than my tpbs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Geeky gifts included the first Hickman FF omnibus, which was nice of my folks, along with Redshirts, which I had never heard of but sounds right up my alley. There were also some fairly large bottles of Glenfiddich and anCnoc 12-year Scotch Whisky waiting for me under the tree , along with some Batman and "Pow!" socks mixed in. I got one of my brothers the two hardcover Snowpiercer volumes (I didn't actually know if he had already seen the movie yet, but he had and loved it), and my other bro a bunch of recent Image singles, like Wytches, W+D, Annihilators, and the first Manhattan Projects trade. Comics for everybody!

Rhyno posted:

Congratulations!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 2, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh I forgot to mention that my boyfriend got me a TARDIS cookie jar (and hid concert tickets inside it)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

I got the first volume of Monster for Christmas. I'm also reading The Jungle, so, y'know, happy reading for the summer (winter in you guys case I guess) break.

Monster is dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, Rhyno, I forgot to say, congrats on the promotion. Sounds like you worked hard for it.

irlZaphod posted:

Oh I forgot to mention that my boyfriend got me a TARDIS cookie jar (and hid concert tickets inside it)

I woulda probably eaten the tickets by mistake.

• Locked thread