Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kentucky and Duke continue to murder everyone, and Okafor continues to solidify his number one pick position. Your top ranked Big 12 team is... Iowa State? Also, maybe hiring Steve Alford was somewhat a bad idea for UCLA. (Bruce Weber definitely was, but I digress.)

Also, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlf6XxTslts

Discuss.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

News: ISU beat Mississippi Valley State by 50. It was Hoiberg's 100th win and the 500th win for ISU at Hilton.

Views: Thank god conference play starts soon.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
I may have been wrong about Florida

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

No gameday thread? UNI is in a dogfight with Evansville right now...

edit: Evansville wins, congrats to the one Purple Aces fan on the boards whose name I forget! (Peanut President?)

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 2, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
This link is dead for me so I found another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlf6XxTslts

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Go

Aces

exethan posted:

This link is dead for me so I found another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlf6XxTslts

Thanks, edited into the OP.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
This is the first time I've felt good about Aces basketball in a really really long time. Go Fuckin Aces :feelsgood:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Per Calipari's Twitter, he changed something that is going to make ALL of the UK guards better. I guess that means he figured out how to make Andrew not suck as much. I dunno.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I guess we'll see how this season's tweak works. Hopefully as well as last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
N: Washington gets boatraced by Cal.

V: Being ranked was fun while it lasted.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After getting embarrassed by Cincy, NC State whips Pitt. Don't get this team.

Not as if it matters though with the UVA-Duke-UNC run coming next.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

elentar posted:

Dang thats a brutal stretch

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

elentar posted:

also known as The Mark Gottfried Experience

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Seton Hall beats Villanova in OT, and there are now just 5 unbeaten teams left.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU is going to be taking on TCU without Staten who likely has the flu. :(

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thought this was the GDT

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

OctoberBlues posted:

edit: Evansville wins, congrats to the one Purple Aces fan on the boards whose name I forget! (Peanut President?)

That's me! :iamafag: Aces almost lost to goddamn 1 win Coppin and then beat UNI like 3 days later. This team.

edit: Aces are 11-2, only losses are Wisconsin-Green Bay and Murray State. Aces are gonna win the Valley, book it.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU knocked off TCU (suck it unbeatens) despite being without all-american Juwan Staten.

Views: :toot:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

I made a GDT.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Today is stupid.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

First win over a top-10 opponent since No. 1 Kentucky in 2010. First seven-game winning streak since the 2003-04 season. Given our recent blowout wins over Oklahoma State and Clemson, there might even be an actual chance that we sniff the Top 25. I can't even wrap my head around it. loving go Cocks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RumbleFish posted:

First win over a top-10 opponent since No. 1 Kentucky in 2010. First seven-game winning streak since the 2003-04 season. Given our recent blowout wins over Oklahoma State and Clemson, there might even be an actual chance that we sniff the Top 25. I can't even wrap my head around it. loving go Cocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMnme69t2M&t=42s

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nothing notable about Auburn's lackadaisical win over North Alabama, except that it counts for Auburn but was an exhibition for UNA. Is that common?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Today is stupid.

:dukedog:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

Today is stupid.
Basketball is a fickle mistress.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meltathon posted:

Basketball is a fickle mistress.

Yeah, South Carolina tried desperately to give us that game and we just were like "naw, you have it". Maryland loss looked similar so I hope that we don't just always wilt away from home in the face of any hint of defense. WVU is definitely going to have the same gameplan next week.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, South Carolina tried desperately to give us that game and we just were like "naw, you have it". Maryland loss looked similar so I hope that we don't just always wilt away from home in the face of any hint of defense. WVU is definitely going to have the same gameplan next week.

Reliance on perimeter shooting will do that to ya. 1-18 yeeeeesh. Although seriously, we did try and give yall the game and you just weren't having it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp, took all of three games for me to lose my early-season optimism. UW will never not suck in conference play.

We got Wazzu and Oregon St. next. After that, I don't see another winnable game on the schedule until February. NIT here we come. :smithicide:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Benne posted:

Welp, took all of three games for me to lose my early-season optimism. UW will never not suck in conference play.

We got Wazzu and Oregon St. next. After that, I don't see another winnable game on the schedule until February. NIT here we come. :smithicide:

What's happened? Seems like two different teams when comparing the end of OOC to conference play. Was the schedule super easy early and it let wins/optimism pile up?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Benne posted:

UW was a play or two from sealing it up at the end of regulation. Instead they quit doing everything except turning the ball over and letting Stanford play how they wanted.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Peanut President posted:

That's me! :iamafag: Aces almost lost to goddamn 1 win Coppin and then beat UNI like 3 days later. This team.

edit: Aces are 11-2, only losses are Wisconsin-Green Bay and Murray State. Aces are gonna win the Valley, book it.

Maybe not. They blew a lead in OT to a bad Indiana State team. On the bright side Egidijus Mockevicius is still a 5 star name.

This has been your University of Evansville Purple Aces report for January 5th, 2015.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This is from GDT, but it's more N/V-y

Regnevelc posted:

Michigan has had top 7 historical offenses in the Kenpom era the past two years under Beilein.

I'm loving shocked at what is going on this year. It's mind-boggling.

What the hell, someone please help me understand this, I've watched every game (except EMU and NJIT due to travel).

Beilein's offense demands timing and knowing the system. The last two years or so, he was also able to run the much more athletic version that he ran towards the end of WVU and when he was in Richmond. I haven't watched a *whole* lot of Michigan this year, but having watched a good 200+ Beilein games, I think looking at the stats -- it looks like just moving the ball in rotation isn't very good. Also their second-half defense is atrocious.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina received votes in the latest AP poll. :unsmith: Huge game coming up against the Gators this week; hopefully we can take advantage of their recent struggles.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

There's a handful of teams in the SEC having "hey, this team might be actually kinda good" seasons.

And then there's Florida. :smug:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just curious - is basketball less popular at South Carolina than baseball? It feels that way sometimes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

There's a handful of teams in the SEC having "hey, this team might be actually kinda good" seasons.

You can thank the Big XII

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

tadashi posted:

Just curious - is basketball less popular at South Carolina than baseball? It feels that way sometimes.

Absolutely, but that will happen when the best years of one program (baseball) coincide with some of the worst for another (basketball). At this point, the basketball program has just been so downtrodden and so poorly managed that many fans need a reason to come. It doesn't even require much to attract attention -- there was plenty of buzz around the team when I was in college and we never even went to the NCAA tournament (back-to-back NIT titles and a shared division championship were the peak). This fanbase isn't the type that loves basketball enough for its own sake to watch a team toil to a losing record under horrible coaching, but they don't hold it to impossibly high standards, either. That's probably the saddest thing about it -- all we've needed to get people fired up is a competitive, halfway entertaining team and we haven't even been able to achieve THAT on a regular basis.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

D.N. Nation posted:

I root for these Kentucky guys and I think they are gonna be pretty good FYI

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
At least the Bruce Weber meltdown consoles me despite the state of the terrible Illini hoops program. He drove his best player off last year, and now is benching/complaining to the media about the two best players remaining.

He's an rear end in a top hat, and it's a pleasure to see him finally fail in the way he deserves to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

D.N. Nation posted:

And Mizzou :smith:

• Locked thread