Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Marvel Comics Presents (MCP #85-92) story that introduces Cyber is very very weird, much like a lot of PAD's 80s/early 90s Wolverine stuff. Definitely worth reading for the Sam Keith art alone but yeah PAD goes to some weird places. I think he had a very idiosyncratic conception of Wolverine as a character and the bits and pieces we get are kind of fascinating.

My favorite weird thing about the issue is the repeated cutaways to Tyger Tyger negotiating while doing increasingly strange things:

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Marvel did another silver age flashback cover for the second Untold Tales of Spider-Man annual:

These too:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

marshmallow creep posted:

The only thing I remember about that character was some edgy jackass feeding him to super piranha in order to win over Wolverine by offering him to use Cyber's adamanitium as a replacement.

Oh yes, the super piranhas of the Adamantaquarium.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Action Jacktion posted:

Marvel did another silver age flashback cover for the second Untold Tales of Spider-Man annual:

There should absolutely be a series like Jimmy Olsen that's Spider-Man torturing his biggest pal Flash Thompson "to teach him a valuable lesson" when in reality he's just doing it because Thompson had been torturing Peter Parker that day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Action Jacktion posted:

These too:

Technically it's not "another" because Fat Spidey and Cap eating his shield are fanart.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Action Jacktion posted:

Assuming they wouldn't lie on a published comic cover, that's really cool they actually got Don Rosa to do the cover.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I get that they're trying to do a Betty & Veronica joke, but that MJ in the bottom corner is terrifying.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

marshmallow creep posted:

The only thing I remember about that character was some edgy jackass feeding him to super piranha in order to win over Wolverine by offering him to use Cyber's adamanitium as a replacement.

That edgy jackass was Cable's time displaced son going through a short lived "I'm the new Apocalypse" phase. Short lived because I'm pretty sure Wolverine killed him right about then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

That edgy jackass was Cable's time displaced son going through a short lived "I'm the new Apocalypse" phase. Short lived because I'm pretty sure Wolverine killed him right about then.

Cable had his own time displaced kid?

Imagine I sound exactly like Miles from Jay and Miles Xplain saying "WHAT?" In one of their intros.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Cable had his own time displaced kid?

Imagine I sound exactly like Miles from Jay and Miles Xplain saying "WHAT?" In one of their intros.

Well, I mean Cable is from the future, and it was his son from then, or further into the future, brought into what was the present, so yes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Well, I mean Cable is from the future, and it was his son from then, or further into the future, brought into what was the present, so yes?

I have so many questions about this.

Did Cable raise this kid in the future and they both originally came back at the same time or is this a kid Cable didn't know existed that also came back later?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That reminds me, is Genesis still around?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

They reunited and were supposed to be touring this year, at least before COVID turned everything upside-down.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I have so many questions about this.

Did Cable raise this kid in the future and they both originally came back at the same time or is this a kid Cable didn't know existed that also came back later?

IIRC Cable raises his kid in the lovely future until he's a young teen. Then Cable comes to the present, with the idea of un-loving the lovely future. Then his son comes to the present from a few years further in the future after Cable left. He's pissed off because Cable left him all alone for years in the lovely future. So now he's evil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC Cable raises his kid in the lovely future until he's a young teen. Then Cable comes to the present, with the idea of un-loving the lovely future. Then his son comes to the present from a few years further in the future after Cable left. He's pissed off because Cable left him all alone for years in the lovely future. So now he's evil.

That's fair.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it was rereleased in mini format at the end of last year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

These jokes are terrible.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cable's son used the name Genesis. In Wolverine #100 he tried to forcibly reimplant the adamantium into Logan. He was able to reject it (which caused his nose to vanish) and he then killed Genesis.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, they don't sell a lot of cars, but Hyundai is still pushing the brand as a competitor to the likes of Acura and Lexus.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #35 (1954)

The Fantastic Four #6 (1962)

What If? #24 (1980)

The Adventures of Spider-Man #10 (1997)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darthemed posted:

The Adventures of Spider-Man #10 (1997)

Oh no, Spidey, did you sign up for BMG?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

How Wonderful! posted:

The Marvel Comics Presents (MCP #85-92) story that introduces Cyber is very very weird, much like a lot of PAD's 80s/early 90s Wolverine stuff. Definitely worth reading for the Sam Keith art alone but yeah PAD goes to some weird places. I think he had a very idiosyncratic conception of Wolverine as a character and the bits and pieces we get are kind of fascinating.

I got into Sandman because I'd heard Sam Keith worked on that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uthor posted:

Oh no, Spidey, did you sign up for BMG?

And just the year before Sony bought Columbia House and he could have received a discount. Typical Parker luck.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Spidey bought an issue of Wizard and got a free AOL tryout disk.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman: Gotham Nights #10

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Teenage Fansub posted:

And Catwoman perks up, in more ways than one...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's clearly an ocelot moan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Beat Boxin Batman

"YO BATS! LAY ME DOWN A SICK BEAAAT"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ya I'm not sure what a "lion moan" is but I'm even less sure holding your hands like that will help you in making any sound a lion might make.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Ya I'm not sure what a "lion moan" is but I'm even less sure holding your hands like that will help you in making any sound a lion might make.

He's hiding his AcmeTM Wolf Moan Whistle. Unreliable uhh character and all that - very avant-garde story-telling in funny strips.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"lion moan" is the name he gave his lion pheromone based cologne for men. that panel has nothing to do with the story, it's a flash sideway to the lion moan commercial.
it's like you guys don't even read the comics.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elfface posted:

That's clearly an ocelot moan.

:ocelot: you're pretty good!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

InsertPotPun posted:

"lion moan" is the name he gave his lion pheromone based cologne for men. that panel has nothing to do with the story, it's a flash sideway to the lion moan commercial.
it's like you guys don't even read the comics.

https://youtu.be/IKiSPUc2Jck

“Made of real justice”.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 4, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Issue #1 starts off right.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Byrne!
Why did it have to be John Byrne?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Byrne!

Reminder that John Byrne (oh wait sorry, "Booster Cogburn"*) was a villains in a comic series drawn by Jack Kirby. They (Cogburns) had detachable spines.

*) Heh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Byrne!

It's always Byrne!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As the enormity of the evil perpetrated by his foe sinks in, Superman's eyes heat up, hotter and brighter and angrier than ever before.

"Byrne."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Issue #1 starts off right.

That's not Harrison Ford -- that's Adam West. :monocle: