Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I liked oddly-supportive-and-decent Batroc from the Gwenpool series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

My exposure to Bartoc only comes from Marvel Heroes, where I will always remember him as Bartoc Silly-Bear.

It's "Batroc", as in "Batrachian", and between that and his powerful legs his entire existence is an oblique joke about the French being frogs

I still like 'im

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I liked oddly-supportive-and-decent Batroc from the Gwenpool series.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Batroc is down for any Captain America-related action because he has a massive man-crush.

<interlude, with fighting>

Captain America vs. Batroc the leaper, one-shot, 2011 (Buck-Cap)

(Oh hey, he's hanging out with a big-chested blonde there at the end, surely that must be only coincidence, oui?)

Amusing, but not really funny enough. Let's see what we can find in Jersey MSG... (huge for details)

(Ms. Marvel #7, 2016)

I started looking closer because of one detail, and spotted a bunch more. "TRI_STATE ULTRA MEGA SCIENCE FAIR basketball cancelled", the Moose Juicer, "Believe In Your Dreams" by gliding over a snake-infested spike trap in a pterodactyl suit (STEGRON! :argh:), the cute lil' kid preparing to fire Otto Octavius Jr.'s ULTRA MEGA harpoon gun, at another little kid wearing a whale suit (which already has a couple patches :ohdear:), Demon Bear (Home Edition) behind the "Wonders of Cuttlefish Milk" exhibit, "Weaponize Your Face" (headcannons ahoy), "Injectable Pizza" way down in the lower right, nearly hidden by the inset panel (which may explain the shirtless goon)...

And the one that first caught my eye.

From Jim Wynorski's 1986 classic, Chopping Mall .

The Scuretronics Series 101 Protector.

Hauling rear end with a suitcase full of cash.

https://i.gifer.com/dTu.mp4

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cherry and gamey-flavored moose juice.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That old man strength

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tag yourself: I'm "bag of dirt"

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Gaz-L posted:

Tag yourself: I'm "bag of dirt"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's getting ready to Inject A Pizza

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

I liked Batroc's line as a Delaying Action Henchperson whenever it comes up in this thread, and I'm honestly a little stoked to find out he's coming back to the MCU for the Falcon and Bucky show

Did they get GSP back to play Batroc like in Winter Soldier?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Speaking of what's Speedball up to now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bruceski posted:

Does the comics world have any mainstream (I know that's a relative term) professional henchpeople other than Taskmaster and Batroc? I like that shtick. Show up to go against whoever's actually on the cover and don't need an introduction or explanation why they're involved.

Batroc has his own brigade of henchmen that people forget about so much that no living person can tell you how many Machetes there have been or which ones are dead.

The Serpent Squad is also essentially just a supervillain henchman union, with a dumb snake theme. Although half the time they get a leader who has ambitions beyond that and turns them into more of a Discount Masters of Evil. Never ends well for em.

Crossbones is also basically a henchman for life, but the fact that his preference is for working with Red Skull makes him relatively unpopular with other henchpeople and mercs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Like half of Spider-Man's rogues are work-for-hire.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Gwenpool's Batroc should get to team up with Squirrel Girl's Kraven.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bruceski posted:

Does the comics world have any mainstream (I know that's a relative term) professional henchpeople other than Taskmaster and Batroc? I like that shtick. Show up to go against whoever's actually on the cover and don't need an introduction or explanation why they're involved.

There's always the Enforcers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Batroc has his own brigade of henchmen that people forget about so much that no living person can tell you how many Machetes there have been or which ones are dead.

The Serpent Squad is also essentially just a supervillain henchman union, with a dumb snake theme. Although half the time they get a leader who has ambitions beyond that and turns them into more of a Discount Masters of Evil. Never ends well for em.

Crossbones is also basically a henchman for life, but the fact that his preference is for working with Red Skull makes him relatively unpopular with other henchpeople and mercs.

Eh, when Crossbones hooked up with Sin he sorta became part of the "family business"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #69 (1958)

Mr. Monster Attacks! #2 (1992)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Mr. Monster Attacks! #2 (1992)

That's totally the dude from Heavy Metal. Was that based on something outside the comics or is this an homage to that?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Captain Sternn on the right, Doctor Stearn on the left. Just a one-page crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kalli posted:

That's totally the dude from Heavy Metal. Was that based on something outside the comics or is this an homage to that?

Stern had a mini series like 20 years ago.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Did they get GSP back to play Batroc like in Winter Soldier?

They sure did

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Stern had a mini series like 20 years ago.

I thought that was a reprint of the Heavy Metal stories. Was it original?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that was a reprint of the Heavy Metal stories. Was it original?

Running Out of Time was advertised as a new story but it's been 20 years and I never got issues 4 and 5 so I don't really remember.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Like half of Spider-Man's rogues are work-for-hire.

The Enforcers, The Shocker, Jack O Lantern, Rhino I guess... who am I missing?

Oh and I guess the Wrecking Crew is often for hire, but not always.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Kingpin is the one doing the hiring... but his underlings like Tombstone and Hammerhead would count? Work for him for money?

Scorpion? Not sure what he's up to these days, but Jameson originally paid for his armour to kill Spidey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
scorpion was last seen in a cut rate power armor that resembled franken-flash thompson as a fakeout.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Elfface posted:

Kingpin is the one doing the hiring... but his underlings like Tombstone and Hammerhead would count? Work for him for money?

Scorpion? Not sure what he's up to these days, but Jameson originally paid for his armour to kill Spidey.

Tombstone and Hammerhead are crime bosses in their own right, usually. They're not just muscle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of me thinks that "professional henchman" implies you're fairly mercenary and have worked for several different supervillains or supervillainous organizations, and if you only ever work for one villain (or villorg) you're just that felllow's henchperson even if you're being paid handsomely

Like, those themed goons every Bat-foe had in 60's Batman, those were regular henchers. Unless they got the same actor to play several of them, then I guess that person could be a henchpro.

But also I'm not sure why my brain wants this distinction, because if you play hockey or baseball, and you get paid to do it, you are a professional hockey or baseball player. Even if you're minor league.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I want an amateur henchman. A henchman who does it just for fun

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thetoughestbean posted:

I want an amateur henchman. A henchman who does it just for fun

fiverr.com

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phy posted:

Part of me thinks that "professional henchman" implies you're fairly mercenary and have worked for several different supervillains or supervillainous organizations, and if you only ever work for one villain (or villorg) you're just that felllow's henchperson even if you're being paid handsomely

Like, those themed goons every Bat-foe had in 60's Batman, those were regular henchers. Unless they got the same actor to play several of them, then I guess that person could be a henchpro.

But also I'm not sure why my brain wants this distinction, because if you play hockey or baseball, and you get paid to do it, you are a professional hockey or baseball player. Even if you're minor league.

Yeah, mercenary is the word I was looking for but couldn't come up with in the moment. Spiderman's gallery is all hired goons but it's usually the same guy or two doing the hiring. Taskmaster could pop up anywhere and Batroc has a similar vibe even though he's pretty exclusively going against Cap.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

No joke to this one. That’s just a comically ugly Emma Frost.
New Mutants v1 #39

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beerdeer posted:

No joke to this one. That’s just a comically ugly Emma Frost.
New Mutants v1 #39

Emma Frost, aged 49

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When it comes to gun for hire who hasn't been mentioned yet, the answer you were all searching for is Palladin.

I would have also accepted 70's supergroup, The Foreigner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Famicom Rocky

Sadly, that's the funniest/most clever thing in the comic which is all about how video games are serious business. It's from the mid-80's and was published to cash in on the video game craze and act as cross promotion for a bunch of old video games. It's astonishingly bad, and more interesting as a time capsule than something worth reading.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Part of an ad from House of Secrets #23 (1959)

Mighty Samson #4 (1965)

Kickers Inc. #3 (1987)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Serious Etrigan energy in that last panel

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

When it comes to gun for hire who hasn't been mentioned yet, the answer you were all searching for is Palladin.

I would have also accepted 70's supergroup, The Foreigner.

Make sure to put down money against the gambling merc Chance!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Mighty Samson #4 (1965)

Who likes statues and is holding two wieners?

this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Random Stranger posted:

Famicom Rocky

Sadly, that's the funniest/most clever thing in the comic which is all about how video games are serious business. It's from the mid-80's and was published to cash in on the video game craze and act as cross promotion for a bunch of old video games. It's astonishingly bad, and more interesting as a time capsule than something worth reading.

i have no idea what i'm looking at on this page or why it's funny but was this the japanese version of captain n