Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe the Fantastic Four made his plan

“Reed, I know you think ‘Unstable Wireless’ is cute but I’m having some real trouble with disconnecting when I FaceTime from the Negative Zone”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

“Reed, I know you think ‘Unstable Wireless’ is cute but I’m having some real trouble with disconnecting when I FaceTime from the Negative Zone”

Reed would design a phone that can work everywhere but Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1389865626852761603?s=20

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shadow Comics #11 (1941)

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition (2013)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Regarding interplanetary communication, Stark enterprises did develop technology that allowed you to access the internet even in Mars orbit, as Squirrel Girl found out when she borrowed an Iron Man suit to go to the Moon.

From The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015) Issue 4

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The_Other posted:

Regarding interplanetary communication, Stark enterprises did develop technology that allowed you to access the internet even in Mars orbit, as Squirrel Girl found out when she borrowed an Iron Man suit to go to the Moon.

So this is something that I have wondered about.

Years and years ago, I read this news story about a man who Torrented an episode of Lost on his mobile while on holiday in France.

So he got stung for a bill of something like €30,000 (or higher.)
And the telecomunication company agreed to waive the fee on the basis it was an accident. (Not him torrenting the show, more at the idea of how much it would cost to do so.)

But what I've always wondered is how they justify those figures? I mean :capitalism: I know.
But like, tens of thousands. It's not like they actually incure a huge effort to make that request. Massive amounts of oil or gold aren't burned to do it. And I assume that crazy amounts of power strain are put on the system.

So where does the massive figure come from when it comes to putting a monetary value on abroad communications?
Or again is it just :capitalism: times ten?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Other posted:

(don't know the issue)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alhazred posted:

(don't know the issue)

GOTG #4 from the Bendis run, 2013.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Years and years ago, I read this news story about a man who Torrented an episode of Lost on his mobile while on holiday in France.

And the telecomunication company agreed to waive the fee on the basis it was an accident. (Not him torrenting the show, more at the idea of how much it would cost to do so.)

But what I've always wondered is how they justify those figures? I mean :capitalism: I know.
But like, tens of thousands. It's not like they actually incure a huge effort to make that request. Massive amounts of oil or gold aren't burned to do it. And I assume that crazy amounts of power strain are put on the system.

So where does the massive figure come from when it comes to putting a monetary value on abroad communications?

Answered your own question like three times!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mercenarynuker posted:

Puck is now, forever, just a smaller Stone Cold Steve Austin. Gimme a hell yeah!

Curling Stone Steve Austin

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #10 (1982)

My biggest issue with this comic is that we never get to see any Cobra brand household cleaning products.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 5, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Question IRL posted:

There are two usual reasons for it (beyond just being greedy assholes).

1. There really is a limited amount of bandwidth, and the high fee is to discourage people from using it. It doesn't cost them 30k to download one episode of Lost, but if everyone was doing it at the same time it could bring the network down so threatening people with crazy fees will reduce the likelihood of it.
2. The crazy fees are to encourage people to pay for an unlimited type plan. "For a mere $20 a month you can download all the Lost episodes you want, otherwise it will cost you a MEEEELLION DOLLARS"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Overseas data is a scam, basically.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

SimonChris posted:

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #10 (1982)

My biggest issue with this comic is that we never get to see any Cobra brand household cleaning products.

The soap company wasn't a front for Cobra, they evolved into Cobra.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Every telco is also permanently in a Mexican stand-off with each other where they charge each other a lot to route traffic through their network because they have to pay a lot to route traffic through anyone else's network, which is why overseas data is usually really expensive because you'll be outside their infrastructure and probably having to come back in through multiple telcos each of whom are clipping the ticket.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Starting to think we'll never get that game of the generation stream now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tangent to the overseas fee talk, I've discovered through extensive testing that at&t does not give a single poo poo about torrenting over their cell service (I'm on an unlimited plan). I've gone through multiple hundreds of gigs a month at least a few times and have never heard a peep from them about it

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

site posted:

Tangent to the overseas fee talk, I've discovered through extensive testing that at&t does not give a single poo poo about torrenting over their cell service (I'm on an unlimited plan). I've gone through multiple hundreds of gigs a month at least a few times and have never heard a peep from them about it

do you run it through a VPN?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Unless there's one built into the phone I don't know about, no

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah, that's the kinda thing that's perfectly fine... until it's suddenly not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
eh, been at it for like 2 years. if they cared they would've said something by now

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Batman: Urban Legends #1: Grifter is working as a bodyguard for Lucius Fox.

but he still manages to have fun adventures when he's off the clock

SimonChris posted:

If it's not Sssssoap they failed :colbert:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Elfface posted:

all companies evolve into Cobra over a long enough time period. it's called Cobranization.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

They still kept running the soap MLM long after they had evolved into their final form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cuts in defense spending. it's just so quaint!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The whole "somewhere in America there is a town that is also a terrorist rogue state" thing in GI Joe is just such a perfect idea, I love it.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
This is all I can see in the first panel

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

robziel posted:

This is all I can see in the first panel

Of course, Cobra Commander is three small children standing on each other's shoulders.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

SimonChris posted:

They still kept running the soap MLM long after they had evolved into their final form.

What exactly was Cobras longer term plan at this point? I mean Cobraville seemed like a nice enough place to live and upwardly mobile crimson guard seems like a pretty good gig. Why was Cobra Commander a villian again?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bucnasti posted:

What exactly was Cobras longer term plan at this point? I mean Cobraville seemed like a nice enough place to live and upwardly mobile crimson guard seems like a pretty good gig. Why was Cobra Commander a villian again?

He just wants to make America great again!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #15 (1942)

Mighty Samson #2 (2011)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SimonChris posted:

The only thing unrealistic there is the idea that rich people cheating on their taxes causes cuts in defense spending

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Not like Cobra doesn't have a history of their plans being foiled.

Didn't someone do a Lets Read of the old GI Joe comics a number of years back?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darthemed posted:

Mighty Samson #2 (2011)

"Kneel."

"No.

I can't.

Have you even seen these chains and how you wrapped them around me?"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

He seems like a great guy to work for, in general:

Later:

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #9 (1982)

I love how everyone expects Cobra Commander to be the kind of villain who takes things out on his henchmen, but he just sees every defeat as a delightful opportunity.

Also, the implication that all of the G.I. Joe victories are just minor annoyances to Cobra, who have bigger things going on behind the scenes.

Taerkar posted:

Didn't someone do a Lets Read of the old GI Joe comics a number of years back?

There were several attempts, but they all died pretty early in the run.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Bucnasti posted:

I don't know that they really had a long-term plan. Eventually, though, they did become their own sovereign nation when a land mass formed (from a volcanic eruption) in international waters and they were first there so they got to claim it. Cobra Commander was a villain because he was a megalomaniac, but unlike so many of them he was smart.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I read all the Cobra Troopers dialog in 21 and 24's voices

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SimonChris posted:

When were these published? Was it before or after Reagan? I'm trying to figure if its a satire of contemporary politics or from a period when the whole 'greed' thing would have been unironically villainous.

SimonChris posted:

I love how everyone expects Cobra Commander to be the kind of villain who takes things out on his henchmen, but he just sees every defeat as a delightful opportunity.

Also, the implication that all of the G.I. Joe victories are just minor annoyances to Cobra, who have bigger things going on behind the scenes.

I love that Cobra Commander is a dodgy MLM salesperson first, and a meglomaniacal leader of a heavily armed secret militia second.

"What? Joe is attacking in the middle of my sales seminar? Okay everyone, impromptu team building exercise! Form fireteams with people who you haven't introduced yourself to yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Elissimpark posted:

When were these published? Was it before or after Reagan? I'm trying to figure if its a satire of contemporary politics or from a period when the whole 'greed' thing would have been unironically villainous.

That issue was November of '84, so during Regan.