Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

It ran into the early '90s when Larry Hama was forced to start making every-damned-body a ninja. You could see the interference happening and the quality degenerating despite his best (and admirable) efforts. It ran during both Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Also amusing, Cobra Commander isn't just any kind of salesman. Before the MLM he was a used car salesman.

Does anybody know the issue that had the crowd of Cobra troopers shouting "YAY! MORE BENEFITS!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Found the actual issue, so here is a higher quality scan with more details:

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #29 (1984)

Elissimpark posted:

"What? Joe is attacking in the middle of my sales seminar? Okay everyone, impromptu team building exercise! Form fireteams with people who you haven't introduced yourself to yet."

Cobra Commander was explicitly modelled on William F. Buckley Jr, as a guy who is mostly in it to hear his own voice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

Cobra Commander was explicitly modelled on William F. Buckley Jr, as a guy who is mostly in it to hear his own voice.

If I sounded like Orson Welles you'd never shut me up either

Phy posted:

When it's comic Cobra Commander, does he still sound like Starscream?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Not in the Larry Hama-written continuity:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

robziel posted:

That issue was November of '84, so during Regan.

Yeah GI Joe as we know it (4 inch figures, crazy vehicles, Cobra, etc) is all a product of Regan removing limitations on television aimed at children including commercial content.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I read all the Cobra Troopers dialog in 21 and 24's voices
And it's definitely easier to hear that Cobra Commander dialogue in, say, The Monarch's voice rather than Cartoon Cobra Commander.

(Kinda like how it's next to impossible to imagine Carl Barks' Donald Duck sounding anything like cartoon Donald.)

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 6, 2021

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Keromaru5 posted:

And it's definitely easier to hear that Cobra Commander dialogue in, say, The Monarch's voice rather than Cartoon Cobra Commander.

This must be a generational difference or something because I can't NOT hear Chris Latta, who also voiced Starscream.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not generally in favor of extrajudicial murder by the military, but, yeah, send a drone up his rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SimonChris posted:

fun fact: Gore Vidal invented the neologism "Cryptofascist" specifically to describe William F. Buckley Jr. So Cobra Commander being modelled after him really fits.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Other than the dog kick, this will forever be the most perfect Cobra Commander moment, I feel:

A later uplifting storyline has him reconnect with his estranged son, decide to cut the bullshit and pack it all in for him*...

..only for one of his elite troops to be rather miffed at wasting years of his life and even having plastic surgery for Cobra so he shoots CC in the back, buries him in a shallow grave and goes back to Cobra Island claiming to be Cobra Commander (badly) for a couple of years before the house of cards finally collapses.

* I am convinced the insane accountant dressed in a giant bird suit also contributed to this, mind.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Namor has feelings about the reunification of Germany, & so does the Daily Bugle's political cartoonist

Namor, The Sub-Mariner #10, 1991

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #29 (1984)

Several hours later:

"Wait a minute, did we sit through that whole presentation just so he could tell us that we're going to start having deep cover operatives? I kind of assumed we already did..."

Anyway, War of the Realms - Journey Into Mystery #3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Namor has feelings about the reunification of Germany, & so does the Daily Bugle's political cartoonist

Namor, The Sub-Mariner #10, 1991

He fought in the loving war, of course he has opinions.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Anyway, War of the Realms - Journey Into Mystery #3

Thori is a very good boy and I’ve been meaning to post every panel of his from war of the realms.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ManiacClown posted:

It ran into the early '90s when Larry Hama was forced to start making every-damned-body a ninja. You could see the interference happening and the quality degenerating despite his best (and admirable) efforts. It ran during both Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Also amusing, Cobra Commander isn't just any kind of salesman. Before the MLM he was a used car salesman.

I always subscribed to the belief that Cobra Commander's secret origin in the cartoon was he was the badguy from Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuf9zMqWp2U

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was going through Classic Joe a while back and took some panels, mostly focusing on my man Sebastian Bludd.

I like to imagine that Bludd probably is a fine poet, but he's also an rear end in a top hat so this is what he leads with:

The Ballad of Bludd and Cobra Commander:

Bludd continuing to rule:

Absolute chad Sebastien Bludd drives theatre kid Zartan to tears:

Bonus: The Real American Heroes:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I was going through Classic Joe a while back and took some panels, mostly focusing on my man Sebastian Bludd.

I like to imagine that Bludd probably is a fine poet, but he's also an rear end in a top hat so this is what he leads with:

The Ballad of Bludd and Cobra Commander:

Bludd continuing to rule:

Absolute chad Sebastien Bludd drives theatre kid Zartan to tears:

I just watched GI Joe Rise of Cobra for the first time, and it would have been much improved by the addition of Sebastian Bludd.

Second dumbest movie I've ever seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's actually a new live action GI Joe movie coming this year with Henry Golding as Snake Eyes (also it is an origin story.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snake Eyes is like the most boring joe. Give me the origin story of Lifeline, the joe who's motivated by not fighting and getting a pension.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mysterious ninjas are cool because they are mysterious. who gives a poo poo about origin stories?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mysterious ninjas are cool because they are mysterious. who gives a poo poo about origin stories?

Look knowing Wolverine was a nerdy kid made me love him more.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SimonChris posted:

There were several attempts, but they all died pretty early in the run.

Yeah, sorry about that. I swear I'll get back around to it at some point. Disclaimer: may not actually get back around to it at some point

ManiacClown posted:

It ran into the early '90s when Larry Hama was forced to start making every-damned-body a ninja.

Ha ha, yeah, "forced to"...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sadly, that is far from the worst thing that happens to Bongo the Balloon Bear. :(

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah GI Joe as we know it (4 inch figures, crazy vehicles, Cobra, etc) is all a product of Regan removing limitations on television aimed at children including commercial content.

No, no, no. The 80s GI Joe action figures were born from an inspired corporate idea to get around the FCC regulations in place regarding toy advertising. Toy commercials on TV were not allowed to have more than 10% of the commercial be animation or special effects. The idea was that you had to show actual kids playing with the actual toys. Someone at Hasbro realized, "Hey, they don't have any rules like that for books," and so they approached Marvel to create a comic book tie-in for their new toy line. As a result, Hasbro got to run fully-animated 30 second commercials for the comic book which just happened to also promote their toys, and Marvel got a nationwide TV ad campaign for their new comic. There's an episode of the Netflix series The Toys That Made Us devoted to GI Joe that goes into this including interviews with most of the principal players.

Anyhow, Funny Panels Thread...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nipponophile posted:

No, no, no. The 80s GI Joe action figures were born from an inspired corporate idea to get around the FCC regulations in place regarding toy advertising. Toy commercials on TV were not allowed to have more than 10% of the commercial be animation or special effects. The idea was that you had to show actual kids playing with the actual toys.

So that's why all toy commercials were annoying dog poo poo with little twerps moving the toy around and talking in an annoying voice and making me not want to buy it!

Nothing makes a Terminator toy seem less cool than having a skinny 8 year old holding it up and making it talk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite ads of the era were any that featured a kid stiffly holding their dolls and swooshing it through others such that it caused the villain(s) to tumble down the small dirt hill in whatever dirt dimension those kids inevitably inhabited.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

My favourite ads of the era were any that featured a kid stiffly holding their dolls and swooshing it through others such that it caused the villain(s) to tumble down the small dirt hill in whatever dirt dimension those kids inevitably inhabited.

What about when they knocked a stack of brightly colored plastic cubes on the bad guy?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Picture an Overwatch toy commercial, with a kid turning Reaper rapidly back and forth squeaking "Die, die, die!"

Crowetron posted:

What about when they knocked a stack of brightly colored plastic cubes on the bad guy?
That was the good poo poo. And then the rapid 45-degree turn of the action figure and whip pan to a vehicle or playset.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ghostlight posted:

Snake Eyes is like the most boring joe. Give me the origin story of Lifeline, the joe who's motivated by not fighting and getting a pension.

There's an issue of Special Missions with Lifeline in it where he just wallops the poo poo out of Horrorshow from the Oktober Guard, because it turns out Lifeline got a black belt in aikido specifically to focus on its lack of offense.

I was surprised as a kid to find out aikido was a real thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

After I grew out of playing with action figures I would look back on those commercials and think "why didn't anyone sell the loving cubes?!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Which would be more Cobra, having a dedicated choir who enjoy both singing and tormenting innocent ears with Muzak, or having a choir that is forced to sing Muzak as some esoteric punishment for failure that can also be used to torment innocent ears.

Actually, probably the first. They'd be selling that as a 20 CD collection on late night TV, call now and as a bonus...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Huh, I didn’t know the comic predated the cartoon.

Now I know...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?"

"None of the early stuff but everything she's done since 2008."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bucnasti posted:

Huh, I didn’t know the comic predated the cartoon.

Now I know...

That was the usual game plan for the 80s 'glorified toy commercial' cartoons. The U.S. wouldn't legally let you air a cartoon that's just an ad for the toy, but you could make a comic book that's a glorified toy commercial and then make a cartoon that's an adaptation of the comic.

The fun part was that, since the comics themselves were basically a perfunctory interim step that only needed to exist and that's it, they let the comics artists and writers do whatever they wanted. And because comics had a much smaller cost to produce than an animated cartoon, a lot of the comics kept running because 'eh, gently caress it, it's still making money'.

I think G.I. Joe's comics outlasted the cartoon (I know the action figures lasted long enough to cross over with Street Fighter 2), but I know that both the original Transformers and Sonic the Hedgehog comics long outlasted their shows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Crowetron posted:

nah I was all about the ones that look like a fake brick wall

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wanderer posted:

There's an issue of Special Missions with Lifeline in it where he just wallops the poo poo out of Horrorshow from the Oktober Guard, because it turns out Lifeline got a black belt in aikido specifically to focus on its lack of offense.

I was surprised as a kid to find out aikido was a real thing.
See! He's educational and anti-fascist!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Poor Bongo remains a sore point with me even now. I'm still holding out for Scrap Iron to get what's coming to him.
:negative:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Ghostlight posted:

See! He's educational and anti-fascist!

Gi Joe is very educational

I really need to reread this again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That idiot Bludd thinks Proust rhymes with Faust!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pastry of the Year posted:

That idiot Bludd thinks Proust rhymes with Faust!

well he's Australian

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Non Americans get all up in arms about Squirrel and Girl, this is no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Elissimpark posted:

Which would be more Cobra, having a dedicated choir who enjoy both singing and tormenting innocent ears with Muzak, or having a choir that is forced to sing Muzak as some esoteric punishment for failure that can also be used to torment innocent ears.

Actually, probably the first. They'd be selling that as a 20 CD collection on late night TV, call now and as a bonus...

Sounds like someone’s never heard the absolute banger “Cold Slither”

https://youtu.be/bnM-u7rZwtI