Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Was Superman trying to get a stay of execution or something? Even classic Supes wasn't usually that het up to see the Governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Was Superman trying to get a stay of execution or something? Even classic Supes wasn't usually that het up to see the Governor.

I believe if you check the source, that's as "classic" Supes as you can get.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kwyndig posted:

Early Supes was loving righteous and didn't give a poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Mr Governor, don't you think it's super weird you sleep in a room with steel doors?"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kwyndig posted:

Was Superman trying to get a stay of execution or something?

Yes.

What's funny is that his method of preventing it involves bringing the real guilty party to the governor instead of stopping the execution himself and THEN explaining the truth.

It's like using his super voice to call for police instead of catching the bad guys.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did he also tell whoever flubbed the investigation that badly to do better?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Yes.

What's funny is that his method of preventing it involves bringing the real guilty party to the governor instead of stopping the execution himself and THEN explaining the truth.

It's like using his super voice to call for police instead of catching the bad guys.

People who wrote golden-age American comics were pretty much the dumbest people on the planet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who wrote golden-age American comics were pretty much the dumbest people on the planet.

They also defeated the Nazis.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Infinitum posted:

"Mr Governor, don't you think it's super weird you sleep in a room with steel doors?"

Maybe it was Huey Long

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PainterofCrap posted:

Maybe it was Huey Long

Well then it didn’t help much, huh

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Superboy #78 (1960)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Clearly Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive lady spider, hence spidey sense!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Every time I've seen that story, it bugs me that they leapt right over 'Supergirl' to a name so clunky it had to be a deliberate choice not to use the more obvious one.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Every time I've seen that story, it bugs me that they leapt right over 'Supergirl' to a name so clunky it had to be a deliberate choice not to use the more obvious one.

Google tells me Supergirl proper first appeared in 1959, so they were probably trying to avoid confusion since the Super Sister issue is from a year later. It's still an awkward name.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Grand Moff Tarkin (2019)

Grand Buff Tarkin.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2024

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yes.

Eh, call me crazy, and I'm no expert, but the first one seems like it'd involve fewer legal ramifications. I wouldn't want to be the judge having to untangle "An invincible strongman who shoots fire from his eyes* burst into the room and told us to stop" as opposed to "The duly elected governor of the state exercised his authority (because an invincible strongman who shoots fire from his eyes said so)."

* Did Superman have heat vision in Action #1? Anyway, you get the idea.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Power Man and Iron Fist #108 (1984)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darthemed posted:

Power Man and Iron Fist #108 (1984)

Did they really think kids were that stupid. I was 5 in 1984 and even I knew that a stash was drugs.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

SimonChris posted:

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Grand Moff Tarkin (2019)

Grand Buff Tarkin.

I know it's supposed to be scars but it looks like he's covered in crinkly plastic wrap instead.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Forum accident posted:

I know it's supposed to be scars but it looks like he's covered in crinkly plastic wrap instead.

Grand Moff Tarkin WRAPPED COMPLETELY in CLING FILM

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Forum accident posted:

How else would he get his sexual powers?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of these guns!!!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In the short story anthology "Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View" there is a story about how Tarkin has a preference for stormtroopers

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Forum accident posted:

Mint condition Grand Moff, still in packaging.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Haruka Reset - Chapter 53

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Babylon 5 #9 (1995)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dogsred chapter 24

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh we've all had those days.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Did they really think kids were that stupid. I was 5 in 1984 and even I knew that a stash was drugs.

I am willing to believe that Jim Shooter, specifically, didn't know what they meant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

To be fair he just got done with an incredibly intense training day for a hockey team that ended with a bear chasing everyone.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #147 (1968)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair he just got done with an incredibly intense training day for a hockey team that ended with a bear chasing everyone.

David D. Davidson posted:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
i want to read more about force-femmed superboy

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #147 (1968)

I guess he's capable of compressing a lot of air in his lungs and exhale it so strongly it doesn't dissipate in space.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

i want to read more about force-femmed superboy

Pa Kent has to buy her her first pads after she gets her super-period.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That reminds me of the short story I read 45-years ago about when Superboy hit puberty, discovered masturbation, and shot loads all through the walls & the ceiling of his bedroom, and on through the roof (& probably into space).

He had to figure out how to fix it before his folks found out.

It covered his first sexual experience with the opposite sex, when very unfortunate things happened to the poor girl when he achieved orgasm which was noted in the story as a moment when all self-control is on hold.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 2, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess he's capable of compressing a lot of air in his lungs and exhale it so strongly it doesn't dissipate in space.

And also farting as strongly at the same time, so he doesn't get pushed back.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

muscles like this! posted:

Dogsred chapter 24

just as I was reading this, this morning:

https://i.imgur.com/BYo9qxG.mp4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Baron Weirwulf's Haunted Library #60 (1982)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
you have been transformed into DERPCAT