Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
From Punisher MAX #12, the very end of the "Kitchen Irish" arc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I think my favorite part of that issue was when Taskmaster wasn't in the mood to fight because he was hired alongside Batroc and Lady-Stilt Man, so he just asks Wade to convincingly knock him out of the fight.

Also this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Megaman, don't know the issue number.
Apparently this is a running gag with this character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's a webcomics joke from ye olden days. The Mega Man comic, like the Sonic comic, has a lot of community input and nods like that, for better or worse.

E: Oh yeah, don't loving read that sprite comic from 2003 that I linked, in case you're brain dead and need to be told that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 7, 2015

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That's a webcomics joke from ye olden days. The Mega Man comic, like the Sonic comic, has a lot of community input and nods like that, for better or worse.

E: Oh yeah, don't loving read that sprite comic from 2003 that I linked, in case you're brain dead and need to be told that.

My one friend still quotes that sprite comic from time to time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

8-Bit Theater is the only good sprite comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

8-Bit Theater is the only good sprite comic.

I liked Kid Radd quite a bit. Fun experiments with the medium.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 7, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I liked Kid Radd quite a bit. Fun experiments with the medium.

Thank you for linking this, I had a soft spot for Kid Radd :downs:

EDIT: The fact it's all original spritework instead of recolors or light edits also helped.

Existential edit: That comic ended loving ten years ago.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 7, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

I think my favorite part of that issue was when Taskmaster wasn't in the mood to fight because he was hired alongside Batroc and Lady-Stilt Man, so he just asks Wade to convincingly knock him out of the fight.

Also this.

It took a few seconds of staring at that to make sure that Wilson's right arm wasn't stretching out into a freakishly-long Spidey left arm.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Whelp. Spider-Verse continues to justify it's existence today.

Amazing Spider-Man #12

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SilverSupernova posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #12

I am now just waiting for Spider-Bravo and the Spider-gang in the Spider-Mystery Machine and my ideal Spider-man cartoon will be spider complete.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I thought Marvel didn't have the rights to use Leopardon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You can't, like, own giant robots, man, they're an ideal.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I thought Marvel didn't have the rights to use Leopardon?

The rights to that show's assets must have went to them at some point since I remember Marvel making it available for streaming on their website earlier.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Disney leant on them.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SilverSupernova posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #12

This is the best spider thing ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

The rights to that show's assets must have went to them at some point since I remember Marvel making it available for streaming on their website earlier.

Yeah they've had the rights for a few years now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is that Mini Marvels Spidey?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Is that Mini Marvels Spidey?

Nah, that's clearly Mini Marvels Iron Fist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I somehow missed the Spider-mobile actually being Speed Buggy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #12

I have retroactively needed this all my life.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
For a second, I almost reached a feeling of true joy.

Then I realized that I don't actually own a copy of ASM#12 yet, and so it dropped back into plain old "really loving excited". :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SilverSupernova posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM

Look for Japanese Spider-Man's preferred weapon: webs a cheapo submachine gun

Marvel seems to have made YouTube take off almost all the Toei SpiderMan episodes that were online, so they've definitely got the rights now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like it even more when I realized that the Spider-Mobile is not just a vehicle, it appears to be another alternate version of Spider-Man.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I like it even more when I realized that the Spider-Mobile is not just a vehicle, it appears to be another alternate version of Spider-Man.

So did the Spider Buggy exist as a living character before, or did they just look at his last name and thought "gently caress it. We're making a pun out of this."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

The Toei Wiki page for Spider-Man posted:

In addition to fighting by himself, this incarnation of Spider-Man also piloted a giant robot known as Leopardon, which he would summon to thwart off enlarged versions of the show's monsters. Toei would adopt the giant robot concept in subsequent incarnations of their own Super Sentai franchise.

This... was the first sentai show with a giant robot. Power Rangers ultimately descends from this. :what:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

This... was the first sentai show with a giant robot. Power Rangers ultimately descends from this. :what:

Very directly, actually. And just like all shows with giant robots, it was a decision from Hasbro to sell more toys. The Spidey live action show was originally going to be much closer to the source material, but they were like "we need to sell giant robot and monster toys, rewrite this poo poo". Then it was apparently enough of a hit that the sentai series was born.

Yay yay yay, wow!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spider-man truly is Japan's greatest sentai hero. Fly on, Jeopardon.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

And the first actual Super Sentai series with giant robots was Battle Fever J, which was originally planned to be a Japanese version of Captain America. This is why my crossover fanfic where Iron Fist is the Green Ranger is totally canon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's why I think it's stupid when people point out that this or that superhero reminds them of a Tatsunoko character or Kamen Rider or whatever. No, really? Does Superman remind you of Sentry, too?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

That's why I think it's stupid when people point out that this or that superhero reminds them of a Tatsunoko character or Kamen Rider or whatever. No, really? Does Superman remind you of Sentry, too?

Make more Tekkaman blade references with Darkhawk, TIA.

Yes I know he's dead or something. But he's basically the first comic book character I read multiple books involving so I got a softspot for him, even if I never kept up with his appearances after his comic run ended :downs:

Which is funny because the first comic of his I read was when Venom basically threw a fight out of pity.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SilverSupernova posted:

So did the Spider Buggy exist as a living character before, or did they just look at his last name and thought "gently caress it. We're making a pun out of this."

I believe spider buggy is the secret crime fighting identity of Speed Buggy.

What I need to know is, does spiderverse include Italian Spiderman?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lurdiak posted:

Very directly, actually. And just like all shows with giant robots, it was a decision from Hasbro to sell more toys. The Spidey live action show was originally going to be much closer to the source material, but they were like "we need to sell giant robot and monster toys, rewrite this poo poo". Then it was apparently enough of a hit that the sentai series was born.

Yay yay yay, wow!

From what I heard, actually the writers couldn't think of any good spider themed finishing movies so somebody just said "you know what's cool? Giant Robots. So how about the monster just turns 50 feet and Spiderman has to get into a giant robot to fight it?" and the rest is history.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

It's all one big incestuous loop these days though

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #12

On one hand, it's Leopardon and that's rad. On the other hand, Dan Slott is writing and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

From what I heard, actually the writers couldn't think of any good spider themed finishing movies so somebody just said "you know what's cool? Giant Robots. So how about the monster just turns 50 feet and Spiderman has to get into a giant robot to fight it?" and the rest is history.

I could buy that; after all, Spidey's big finishing move in the fighting games is the mighty spider-power of... punching dudes a lot! :spidey: Should've borrowed from the Spider-Man 2 movie game and hauled them up the Empire State Building for an atomic suplex.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

On one hand, it's Leopardon and that's rad. On the other hand, Dan Slott is writing and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Apparently Leopardon gets taken out on the very next page anyway, from what I heard, so you're probably not missing much from that bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, if they'd only been fighting a stupid amazing fun foe, not this stupid vampire crap.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Spider-man truly is Japan's greatest sentai hero. Fly on, Jeopardon.

Whelp, I'm off to Japan to sell my idea of a giant, world-saving robot, piloted by, and modeled after Alex Trebek. Wish me luck.

The mustache comes back as a super power move for when "poo poo gets real"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

What I need to know is, does spiderverse include Italian Spiderman?

Looks like Peter Parker's family was murdered by organized crime there.

While he was off at the science exhibit.

Hell, we had Captain Punmerica once, we can have a Webisher.

(We may already have had one, I've not read all of What If, and am in the run-up to Spider Island right now. :ohdear:)(Fake edit: I forgot, Venomisher happened in a What If.)

Actual content: