Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

There's a few good avatars there.

I would join that avatar crew. I'd either want to be the Flash or Aquaman's nipples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

I would join that avatar crew. I'd either want to be the Flash or Aquaman's nipples.

If I had any skill at all, I would animate them so they are wiggling then give it to you.

Alas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have the skill, but there are few things I want to do less than animate Aquaman nipples.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I have the skill, but there are few things I want to do less than animate Aquaman nipples.

So what you're telling us is that your priorities are all out of whack.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Aquaman's nipples kind of look like tiny golden fists and I'm not sure how to parse this information.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ManlyGrunting posted:

Aquaman's nipples kind of look like tiny golden fists and I'm not sure how to parse this information.

...do yours...not? :confused:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So is he descended from fish, or what. Because he maybe shouldn't have nipples at all

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Atlanteans have hair, and female Atlanteans have boobs. So I would assume they're mammalian.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Selachian posted:

Atlanteans have hair, and female Atlanteans have boobs. So I would assume they're mammalian.

Those are actually setae and air bladders. Common mistakes, though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

delfin posted:

Well, the Golden Glider isn't quite as good at Comic Book Science as she thinks.

YOU NEVER STOPPED TO THINK

(Flash v1 #303)

"You never stopped to think" needs to be the new thread title.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

purple death ray posted:

So is he descended from fish, or what. Because he maybe shouldn't have nipples at all

He's descended from the humans who inhabited Atlantis before it sank. They used their Atlantean magic or something to grow gills, because apparently turning an entire population into fish people is easier than preventing a city from sinking. Or, you know, moving inland or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does the story live up the cover?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does the story live up the cover?

Having not read it, the answer is almost certainly no.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is my mountain. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
THE GIANT WHO CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Having not read it, the answer is almost certainly no.

I wouldn't be too sure. I was surprised how many Silver Age Superman and Superman Family stories were even crazier than the covers.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Dude's totally gonna gently caress that geological feature.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Zeeman posted:

THE GIANT WHO CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE

its a myth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That giant is very real and my friend.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Adventure Time.
No idea of the context.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

darthbob88 posted:

If we accept "What have I got in my pocket?" as a riddle, per the writings of B. Baggins, then "Who is the Batman?" is no less legitimate a riddle. I would dispute his categorizing it as the ultimate riddle, but not its inclusion.

Various scholars debate whether or not this counted as a riddle!

If you read the intro to Lord of the Rings Tolkien actually says this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Once Smeagol accepted it, it did :smuggo:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Gorilla Salad posted:

Once Smeagol accepted it, it did :smuggo:

Yeah

quote:

The Authorities, it is true, differ whether this last question was a mere 'question' and not a 'riddle' according to the strict rules of the Game; but all agree that, after accepting it and trying to guess the answer, Gollum was bound by his promise. And Bilbo pressed him to keep his word; for the thought came to him that this slimy creature might prove false, even though such promises were held sacred, and of old all but the wickedest things feared to break them.

I really just the the bit about "The Authorities", it just feels like such a good send-up of academia - you can imagine, in the world where the Red Book of Westmarch is an actual text that actually exists, paper after paper being published.

"Gollum's Riddle: A Meta-analysis of Riddling and whether or not The Pocket Question could be considered such"
With, of course, lifelong rivalries between different researchers over this very question.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

He is correct. From Shutter #28.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

theflyingorc posted:

I really just the the bit about "The Authorities", it just feels like such a good send-up of academia - you can imagine, in the world where the Red Book of Westmarch is an actual text that actually exists, paper after paper being published.

"Gollum's Riddle: A Meta-analysis of Riddling and whether or not The Pocket Question could be considered such"
With, of course, lifelong rivalries between different researchers over this very question.

Tolkien was first and foremost an academic who wrote fantasy stories with made-up languages for fun. Of course he would include petty academic rivalries around the edges. Honestly I'm surprised he doesn't talk about the scholarship surrounding There and Back Again more at the beginning of LotR.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 22, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Begemot posted:

Tolkien was first and foremost and academic who wrote fantasy stories with made-up languages for fun. Of course he would include petty academic rivalries around the edges. Honestly I'm surprised he doesn't talk about the scholarship surrounding There and Back Again more at the beginning of LotR.
Yeah, it's at least somewhat self deprecating. It owns pretty hard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, it's at least somewhat self deprecating. It owns pretty hard.

I went back and read the Hobbit a few years ago -- there's a lot of funny writing in there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Begemot posted:

Honestly I'm surprised he doesn't talk about the scholarship surrounding There and Back Again more at the beginning of LotR.

Written by a self-admitted nobody of a hobbit who somehow manages to be integral at every point of the journey? Even if it didn't make the elves out to be petty villains, clearly an attempt to garner attention as this tale contradicts their history of events that predates this publication by a good fifty years, Baggins can hardly be considered an unbiased source.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

prefect posted:

I went back and read the Hobbit a few years ago -- there's a lot of funny writing in there.

Yeah, it's pretty much The Hitchhiker's Guide to Middlearth at times.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Fantastic 4/Iron Man: Big in Japan is a national treasure.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Bruceski posted:

Written by a self-admitted nobody of a hobbit who somehow manages to be integral at every point of the journey? Even if it didn't make the elves out to be petty villains, clearly an attempt to garner attention as this tale contradicts their history of events that predates this publication by a good fifty years, Baggins can hardly be considered an unbiased source.

I'm pretty sure he at least started an article that deals with this (from Gandalf's perspective).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had assumed the Authorities were the Valar.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gann Jerrod posted:

Fantastic 4/Iron Man: Big in Japan is a national treasure.

That book and Batman Snow were incredible. Seth Fisher died way too young, it's a shame he didn't have time to shine longer.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

ruddiger posted:

That book and Batman Snow were incredible. Seth Fisher died way too young, it's a shame he didn't have time to shine longer.

Same guy who did Green Lantern: Willworld, right? That's one of my favorite books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they ever sort out if Fisher actually killed himself?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He was partying on a rooftop, alcohol was involved, signs point to dumb accident.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

He was partying on a rooftop, alcohol was involved, signs point to dumb accident.

Numerous people came forward and said he was really depressed though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He probably died like Doug Kenney, accidentally falling while looking for a place to jump.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bruceski posted:

You might be the kind of person who would really enjoy a book called The Last Ringbearer. It's presented as a semi-accurate historical adventure fiction from a world where the Lord of the Rings was an almost-totally-inaccurate Gondorian epic poem in the vein of the Song of Roland: bloodthirsty, regressive, lionizing their ancestor's superhuman accomplishments while dehumanizing cultural enemies who were in various ways more sophisticated than them, etc. So the beginning of the book is all "Of course nowadays we all know that the Orcuen people have their own vibrant culture and intellectual traditions and were not really twisted mutants made by Satan in the dawn times of the earth."

(though ironically the book manages to work in its own streaks of racism :sigh:)

As I understand it, the author had an English translation made, gave up on getting it printed and sold against the wishes of the Tolkien Estate, and just released it online.

e: due to a browser-extension mishap, earlier drafts of this post had the word "racism" replaced with "the r-word"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 24, 2017