Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

While it absolutely is, it should be noted that it isn't a crossover or evolution of Afterlife with Archie. It's a separate crossover that hems a lot closer to traditional Archie by the looks of it. This is just an alternate cover in the Afterlife with Archie style.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26155

Now seriously when the gently caress did Archie comics become worth a drat? This is puzzling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

They first showed signs of being worth a drat way back in the day, but then went dark again for over a decade...

I know. I went out of my way to buy a copy of that one-shot like a decade ago. Made for a great bathroom piece. It was clearly just an aberration though. Now suddenly we have Afterlife and suddenly poo poo like Archie v. Predator is getting greenlit and my world is just upside-down. It turns out I was relying on the constant of Archie a lot more than I thought.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

First google image search result for "Reed Richards urine"

Sometimes I'm really tempted to be a sarcastic dick to people who are too lazy to do even a cursory Google search and say "Gee, if only we had the world's largest and most sophisticated free search engine at our fingertips... OH WAIT WE loving DO!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elfface posted:

Well, what with tailored search results, it might not be on everyone's front page. One guy might get the comic book page as their top result, another might get dozens of hits for their watersports fetish and an unrelated Reed Richards.

With your avatar I just picture every single result being Iron Jonah regardless of search parameters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I wasn't being a dick. :(

You really weren't. Squidster is an rear end in a top hat inferring your intonation of what is textually a completely honest question.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite is the old dude who is clearly about to start jerking it any second

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The cover is literally just a PR statement "look at this hot new outfit we came up for her that isn't skanky like the last one and meets a nice compromise between our fan-wank history of Starfire's personality as an exhibitionist of her body's beauty which dates all the way back to her Wolfman/Perez days and her far more popular modern incarnation on the Teen Titans cartoon from 10 years ago." Besides which while I hate the weird inability of the superhero industry to separate its wank material from its all-ages books, having sexuality flaunted and making fun of people's reactions to it are not inherently bad things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

But it's DC, and the last book they had her in she was Starfire: Intergalactic Amnesiac gently caress Hole. I'm not willing to give them even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

This is true, but speaking solely as to what the cover is trying to convey that's what it's trying to convey in my eyes, and this is from someone who swore off DC books back in 2008. Note how they put Amanda-- I managed to make Power Girl and Harley Quinn look impossibly sexy yet still accessible--Connor on for the redesign and covers. Even if the real book isn't within a mile of that promise they're clearly banking that perception is going to equal reality and most of that perception is going to come from this cover.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vincent posted:

So is Beast still inverted then? I don't think he's ever been much for name-calling and being dick-ish like in those panels.

Are you kidding? He used to be the wise-cracker alongside Bobby's kid clown back during the "original 5" days and would joke the gently caress around like crazy while he was on the Avengers in the 80s. Even in the opening of Whedon's run Emma acknowledges his history by reminding Scott that Beast is "terribly good with people." The whole "Erudite Professor" take is pretty much born of kids who grew up watching the 90s cartoon. There's no way he doesn't know good-natured trash talk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

System Metternich posted:

Is he... sniffing his fingers? :stare:

It's honestly one of the more believable and human things I've seen a superhero do in a good while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Did Frank go WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES right around where he went MUSLIMSTERRORISTSMUSLIMSTERRORISTS, or were those two different journeys into batshit craziness?

Two parallel lines of crazy which intersected briefy around 9/11 then both shot up like a rocket, but were always present in his work.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

This is absurdly disingenuous. If it looked good in the original story by the original artist, who loving cares about this other poo poo?

Considering how superheroes are partially designed to be drawn over and over and over again and replicated across a variety of media/mechandise by varying artists including by lovely fill-in artists working on crunch deadlines and by real people in real world space, yeah how well their costume translates outside of their original story does matter a whole loving lot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Not when we are talking about a What If like Kingdom Come. I think the point was "The design looked great in Kingdom Come, who cares how it looks as a statue or in some fanart decades later?"

Considering how DC sucks Kingdom Come's dick relentlessly? I'd say both points have merit.

Kramjacks posted:

The idea that artists should only create designs that the shittiest artists in the industry will also be able to draw is retarded.

Did I say that artists should only create designs that lovely artists can draw? No? I didn't? Did I even imply that the ability of lovely artists should be the only priority in designing a costume instead of merely an important business consideration? No? I still didn't? Okay then.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 17, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Rockslide deserves to be the juggernaut more than anyone else who has ever existed in any form of media.

It'd be one of the better upgrades they could give him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Loki #12

I'm genuinely happy that you're consistently trying to get better lady-characters involved in your universe Marvel, but this already-dated "baiting the trolls" poo poo is only going to hurt you in the long run.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is exactly why putting lovely memes about cultural landfills is a dumb idea. Look at how retarded every single one of us is reacting to it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even by the abysmal standards of much of the Golden and Silver Age whenever I read pages from Super Stories I suddenly understand exactly why most Baby Boomers saw comics as utter garbage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Waiting is an underrated classic.

I wouldn't say classic but it's definitely aged and endured far far better than the reception it got on release suggested. Sometimes well-executed formula works.

And yes the sequel is impressively bad even by the levels you'd expect from a bro-level comedy flick.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 4, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Crossed is such a guilty pleasure of mine. At least half of them are just absolutely loving terribly written, but even when it's dumb as hell I enjoy it and when it's good I really enjoy it.

I think the thing it really does that no other "zombie" media does is just completely avoid any hope of a positive outcome in any of the stories.

I binge-read almost all of it over the last week and I've got to agree. The cynical nihlism and the fact that no good character ever gets away without some absolutely major wounds and any character that is mostly good but more willing to be a bastard is usually the cause of those wounds really speaks to me on an adolescent level. The Badlands story about the hippie, the biker, and the pregnant mother was a highlight that really shouldn't have worked as well as it did. Unfortunately binge-reading the whole series made a lot of the formula plain as day, and Ennis' very ill-advised "origin story" wasn't awful but managed to make his prior "Fatal Englishmen" story worse by association. Still great guilty pleasure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Why did the balloon need to be lead-coated?

Radiation. Duh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like Star Wars is a lovely franchise that has been coasting on novelty and concept art longer than most of us have been alive

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand why KOTOR couldn't do that, but it's a shame nonetheless

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Glob Herman's continued existence will never stop being amusing to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

Good thing Mark Waid helped recon that piece of history in one page. (Justice League Year One)

I like that Lady Blackhawk is smirking in the background thanking God they didn't put her in some sort of maid outfit.

We need to like, pickle Mark Waid's brain before he starts to lose it and figure out how to program it to generate comic scripts in a perpetual nightmare.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Top 10 being so goddamn niche is a crime, even if it does suffer from that problem Moore sometimes gets where he thinks he can write down song lyrics and the average reader will do anything other than skip them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I sing along to them.

You're that guy who sings along to all the songs in Tolkien too aren't you?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

More Top 10.

Someone should cross-post to the Badass Panels Thread the stand-off where Joe Pi talks not-Superman of the not-JLA pedophile ring into killing himself and uses his robot nature as a legal cover saying that he is a "poor hostage negotiator."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Does the Punisher have an easy way to deal with the dude made of sand?

Depends on whether or not he had access to one of the heavy hitters' armories, which it doesn't look like he does.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

khy posted:

Why would falling be somehow detrimental to spiderman? Can't he just web a building and turn a fall into a swing? Or make himself a web net? Did he somehow lose his web powers in that issue?

And today we've discovered one reason why people on the "mechanical shooters" side of the debate love them-- he can run out of web-fluid and create tension.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knock Knock

Who's There?

That was the set-up, this is the punchline.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

khy posted:

I remember her only as 'the boring girl who used to calm the Hulk down before the much more badass Black Widow took over that role'.

Yes Liv Tyler is the clear "loser's prize."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phylodox posted:

That depends, does the winner get Jennifer Connelly?

That's like saying is 2 billion really that much better than 1 billion. Like yeah it is obviously but it's not like 1 billion is going to leave you pining for that 2 unless you're a straight-up glutton.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I can actually see Clark Gregg saying that, so kudos to the writer.

It's also a bit of a reference to this classic Simpsons moment when 3D Homer asks people if they've ever seen the movie Tron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqfwvIACj8

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sockser posted:

Any candidate that is anti-Jersey has my vote.

That's every single candidate who isn't campaigning in Jersey though...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fadam posted:

I love comics.

And yet people think we take them so seriously

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If they got rid of the X on his head it'd work, or at the very least made it clear where the gently caress he sees and how he shoots his eye-beams.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I kind-of get what they were going for (the big Red X on his face is like a big Red A signifying his pariah status) but it really does make no practical sense even by the already loose-as-gently caress standards of superhero comics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

God it's not like Lady Thor there doesn't have an impractical breastplate that shows off her tits too y'know. It's totally not sexual.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I have never seen the X-Men cartoon. Is it as gloriously idiotic as these clips make it look?

P. much. It actually does a p. admirable job of featuring the byzantine clusterfuck of factions, extra characters, and atrocious designs from the 90s comics in small chunks from episode to episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theironjef posted:

I love how Rogue screams basically every line.

Being a kid who was never into big hair and hearing her voice I wondered why Rogue was a sex symbol until I was like nine and realized what tight outfits do to the eye.