Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Alhazred posted:

But it was done better years ago:

For some reason I really hate fake issue references. Even in the Howard the Duck stuff, where it's taken to a bigger extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, Legion of Superheroes in color would be fun. I just got done reading the first Showcase volume from the library--I don't mind black and white comics, but comics that were supposed to be colored and then aren't always seem really impoverished to me.

Speaking of that book though, there's a few really strange to modern ears references to "red kryptonite's" unpredictable effect on Supergirl. In one story, it causes her to literally become two people, one her normal self, another "Satan Girl", who introduces a "crimson virus" to the female legionnaires that leaves them bed-ridden and forced to live on a quarantine planet. I know comics are just for kids, but the story came off as a kind of sexist take on PMS or something. Does anybody have the Satan Girl story somewhere in color? I could scan the black and white panels from the Showcase book, but seeing it in color would be better.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sorry for double post, but wanted to post some content as well:

This is perhaps the most excellent representation of Alan Moore in comics form I've ever stumbled across. It's from a Rick Veitch Dream Art series, but I think in a few panels it captures Moore's character perfectly. River demons and mystic cigarettes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh yeah that's one of Rick Veitch's Rarebit Fiend books. God I dont know what the hell happened to my copy. Probably given away?

There's another page where he and another artist are visiting Alan Moore's apartment, which is in some falling down building, and when they get there, he's beardless and hairless and says he's just dropped 8 hits of acid, so he doesn't know how much sense he's going to make.

And there's another with Neil Gaiman swimming in a pool with vampires or something.

I like how appropriate all the dreams of the comic writer guys seem to be.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Presumably the Venom symbiote Spider-Man picked up from that machine he thought was going to repair his costume towards the end of Secret Wars was one of a species, right? I know that whole series was just to sell new toys, but has anything been done with a gaggle of symbiotes loving stuff up? Or is the symbiote really the only one of its kind?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That ride also says the Hobgoblin is Ned Leeds, which you better believe I called out to my wife who really could not have cared less.

What were the deals with the various goblins?

Green Goblin was the original, what was Hobgoblin? And wasn't there a Demogoblin or something too?

I wish other Spider-Man villains had the same weird doppelganger thing as Venom and Green Goblin.

The Vulture and a similar guy called the Buzzard and maybe a female version named Condor.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Adnor posted:

I don't know which Superboy issue.

That just seems incredibly out of character for Clark. Why would he be into early Metallica at all? It makes no sense. Even worse is Superboy's embarrassing dialogue! It does make me want to re-read the Return of Superman, lame as a lot of it is.

There's a funny panel where Superboy is staring at Supergirl's chest and he says "I was chest choking...I mean, just joking!"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

prefect posted:

It must be insane being a kid sidekick in a world where people like Power Girl are just walking around and having conversations and nobody thinks anything is unusual.

In that Alan Moore story about Superman's birthday, he has Batman kind of address this with Robin when he asks how Wonder Woman wears her outfit when it's so cold outside the Fortress of Solitude, and Batman says something weird like "think clean thoughts, chum" with a weird grin.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn't Wile E. Coyote already in the DCU via Morrison's Animal Man?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

This is great, what's it from?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ashcans posted:

As terrible as that page is, I have to respect the wordplay of 'Hemo Goblin'

Green Goblin, Hob Goblin, Demogoblin, Hemo Goblin

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Is Doom Patrol worth a re-read? I think I have all the Morrison trades but all I remember is a vague memory of being annoyed he ripped off a Borges story completely without giving even subtle credit to it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The panel from Ex Machina made me think there's a panel in Runaways where Something Awful gets used as well. Not that I think BKV is a goon or anything, just reminded me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, the first 20 some issues of Mad are gorgeous and wonderful. I love all the old ECs and they really grew out of that tradition. DC put together a really lovely set of 4 hardcover reprints of the Kurtzman Era Mad, highly recommended, though I think the art holds up better than the satires in some cases, just due to distance from the subject matter. Still, there's usually something funny in every panel.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ManlyGrunting posted:

I feel the need to talk about the time Batman the Brave and the Bold dedicated seven and a half minutes to completely retelling the Batman parody from that era of MAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0-oLgOlLY

As someone who inexplicably had a copy of MAD About the Fifties as a kid this completely blew my mind when it aired.

Haha, I had Mad About the 50's too until I gave it to a girl who actually had a subscription to Mad Magazine circa 2006 or 2007. But I loved the EC reprints in the 90s, so the format of the Mad stories appealed to me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It would be fun to read issues of Mad and its imitators to see work by people who became better known. Like, I'm pretty sure Daniel Clowes did some illustrations for Cracked and I know Art Speigelmen did illustrations of Garbage Pail Kids (which is a bit different but still).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Scaramouche posted:

Where does Smax fit into this

Man, the Top Ten universe is so fun. Is any of the non-Alan Moore stuff worth reading?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pat Mustard posted:

No. Whatever the opposite of reading is, that's what you should do with the non-Alan Moore Top Ten comics.

Sigh.

Yeah, I figured as much, but thought I should check.

Moore is generally a hard act to follow--even in the collected Swamp Thing trades, the stories not written by him are horrible in comparison, the one with Abby's weird Frankenstein dad or whatever was almost incomprehensible.

I never bothered with the Before Watchmen stuff on principle, but I am curious if any of it somehow managed to be decent.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can someone post Playful Obsession from 20th Century Eightball? It's a great take by Clowes on Richie Rich.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Here it is:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darthemed posted:

Flaming Carrot Comics #22

This always seemed kind of fun--is there a collected version of it somewhere?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Skeevy 90s Superboy with the leather jacket and the lovely haircut will always be my favorite Superboy

Does anyone have the panel from Return when he's staring at Supergirl's tits and says "I was chest choking...I mean, just joking!"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

I love Scott Pilgrim so much.

It really was great. I haven't found his other stuff to be as engaging, though I haven't tried that Snot thing he's done yet. I should reread Scott Pilgrim.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lobok posted:

I have a nephew-in-law named Jacen, apparently after a Star Wars character.

In high school I worked at a movie theater with this girl who had a kid with a real creepy dude who came into the theater to pick her up with a shirt that said "less talk, more suck" on it. He also "gave her the gift of anal sex" one Christmas, which she loved telling people about. Anyway, her and this dude had a kid and named her Amidala.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Selachian posted:

What, you never read Seduction of the Innocent?

Has anyone ever tracked that book down to read it? It comes up in every history of comics.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TenCentFang posted:

It's remarkably boring. I've always thought that as dumb as it was, he was kind of a geek culture scapegoat when the real dicks were DC for using the controversy to support the code and gently caress over EC Comics.

Yeah, I love EC and the code was written specifically to kill them by disallowing the words Weird, Horror, Terror, etc., it ruined most of their lines.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's been 25 years since I read this story, and I'm still waiting for an explanation on why THESE were the clothes the Morlocks had lying around:

Did they ever release a Bondage Xavier action figure?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This Xavier talk reminded me he's the Juggernaut's brother. Are there any other kind of dumb relationships like that?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Where did all the Summers goofiness start? At face value, Cyclops and his power and personality do not seem to warrant such confusing timelines and family stuff at all. I remember even in the X-men cartoon, Mr. Sinister especially wants Summers DNA for some reason.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like the superhuman family is a very Marvel thing. Most of the heroes in DC have regular lovers and few of them have children, unless you get into distant futures with the Superman dynasty and stuff. Flash, GL, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. all have 'mortal' lovers.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Android Blues posted:

In which Wolverine's hunger for a sandwich dooms the X-Men:

Ugh that is so overwritten with the characters describing exactly what they are doing or what just happened. He should have had some faith in the artist. Definitely a funny panel though!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

From an early GI Joe comic. I love how hard rear end that trainer is--"Oh, you've been shot, by me--have an aspirin!"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

I don't know the full context of that page but it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the actual Joes, especially given that some of them are actually in uniforms!

Yeah, sorry I didn't post context! That's some whacky militant survivalist leader, not GI Joe. They'd know better than to do that, presumably!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nipponophile posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Badass Panels thread a while back.

That issue has this funny clueless senator talking about how he once choked on Chinese food earlier, too!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nipponophile posted:

Look, much as I'd love to, I can't just hog the whole thread for G.I. Joe posting. I'll direct those of you with archives to my original Joe comic retrospectives located here and here, and those of you without archives to purchase archives.

Hopefully one of these days I can get my poo poo together and continue the series.

gently caress, that sounds really interesting. Is this the thing that makes me buy archives!?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cobra Commander,
he's my chum,
I trust him like
I trust my gun!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Professor Wayne posted:

I always knew GI Joe is a big influence on Venture Bros, but I never really appreciated it until people started posting panels.

Is there a reason they haven't made any Venture Brothers comics? The setting is a very comic booky world and it seems like it would be a natural format to tell more stories in that world.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked the Garfield strip where John and Garfield make the snowman that comes to life and starts making more snowmen to form like an evil army.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

site posted:

I got all my calvin and hobbes books from scholastic fairs

Still got em too

Yeah, I really notice the difference between the Sunday and regular ones now, as well. As a kid, it was all just more Calvin and Hobbes, so I didn't really appreciate the beauty and experimentation he did in the Sunday stuff. I re-read everything every few years, still...makes me feel like an old man that kids today probably won't ever get into it, the way most people today aren't into Krazy Kat or Pogo, even though at one time, they were in everybody's home, and revisiting that work, it's still amazing. It just will never be popular in the same way again, and that's fine, but it just seems a little sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Been reading the Justice League International omnibus and finally realizing what Guy Gardner's character design only implied!

I'm not too far into it yet, but I'm hoping some explanation is given why they put up with Guy, when everybody on the team makes a joke every issue about kicking him out or killing him.