Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The difference is that Meredith Gran (and most of the side story artists) knows how to frame a comic book, whilst Ryan North doesn't. Here's an obsessively :goonsay: set of examples from a single issue of the main series:

Over the course of three pages, PB announces that she has a "Time Machine" three times; firstly with a play on words which needs additional dialogue to explain the joke, secondly with a proper magic device but to nobody in particular, and thirdly she shows that to F&J on another page, because she was announcing it to nobody, and now it's using a shitload more words to do the exact same thing. It's redundant as gently caress, and doesn't flow like a comic should.

Meanwhile, in the space of just three panels, Anthony Clark (Nedroid) does the same sort of joke but infinitely better, using comic framing and space, because that's how comic books are supposed to work.

EDIT: images are from Adventure Time #6

The repetition is the point of the joke in the first set. That is why it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

That was actually from the Avatar miniseries Nightmare on Elm Street: Paranoid. It's a story that doesn't exactly make much sense (but then again, little of the franchise does). The Avatar books play up the status quo from Freddy vs. Jason. Everything with Freddy is under wraps and anyone who talks about him is taken away. In the movie, it worked because Freddy couldn't do anything if nobody knew or feared him, so he had to trick Jason into causing some terror. Freddy actually had stakes for once. In the comic, he's more than capable of killing kids in their sleep. So what's the point?

Anyway, to get back on topic, the art in the book is kind of hilarious. It's Avatar, so it means blood all over the place and ugly drawings that are supposed to be super sexy. But what I love is that the artist apparently decided to not really read the script.

No. No, she really doesn't.

That's a nice shotgun you have there.

Is that Ryp? I really liked his art in other runs.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...on-dvd-part-one

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Wasn't Speed Demon a Spider-Man villain?

yep

edit: this is from superior foes of spider man #5 (I think)

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 7, 2017

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That's purestrain Morrison buddy.

She's named after the kickass song by Monster Magnet.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

He can do cartwheels so that he kinda looks like a hockey puck. Get it, "Puck"? Because they're Canadian, you see.

The ability to actually transform into a chunk of vulcanized rubber would be too much on-the-nose, though.

Gaz-L posted:

The demon part is supposed to make the name more a Shakespeare thing than 'lol canada amirite', I think.

I think there was byrne/mantlo fight where Byrne wanted him to be this mischievous/tortured soul inspired by Midsummer Night, but Mantlo turned him into a living hockey puck.

That type of tension is how you create a classic cult character, IMO. I love Puck

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's really sort of a weird setup--they show you the GI Joe guy putting scorpions in the first aid kit, I guess because he collects them or something. A bit of obvious foreshadowing, but it delivers pretty well!

I had that ish as a kid. I'm pretty sure that they also had all their weapons disabled so they were improvising--I can't remember if that was the case at the time he was collecting them though.

Later on, they use the gun on the tank to swing a net full of old car batteries at someone or something, as I recall.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's easily a bottom 5 Avengers story.

No it's not. It's the Post-Stern Walt Simonson run (about 6-8 issues) it's bleak as hell for an Avengers story and great. It gets crappy at 300 when Byrne takes over.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason that story exists is so Captain Marvel (the good one, not Carol) wouldn't be team leader anymore.

The story existed to wipe the whole slate so Byrne could have a clean one. Which is a terrible reason for a story, but it's a good story in and of itself.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

So did all that actually happen or is he just loving with them?

I think it happened in a Jason Aaron wolverine book.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wasn't there a version of this where he becomes just a guy who smokes a pipe and takes a stroll?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

They are complaining she doesn't have her face makeup anymore, right? :downs:

I thought that was a monocle for the longest time. Maybe add that--class the whole outfit up.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

What's this from?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Had to track this down and read it, if only for Baseball Taskmaster, and kind of adore this weird little 2-issue mini. It's so smug.

I knew that was Charlie Huston as soon as I got to the end of the first page. He's so good. I wish he would write more comics or books or anything, it looks like he disappeared into TV development hell.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don't think I've read any other Huston, how is his Moon Knight?

That was how I discovered him actually, because I'm a big moon knight fan as well. The black spectre arc in particular is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was that the run with David Finch? I’m hot and cold on Finch, but those Moon Knight covers were bad rear end.

Yes, though Benson came on as co-writer at some point too.

Those covers were great.