Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

:doom: Foolish curs! Doom’s back shall be patted by none but DOOM!!! Tremble in awe of the peerless self-care of DOOM!!! :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Has anyone done story where it turns out that all of Superman's rogues are actually on the government's payroll to keep him entertained so he doesn't decide to remake the world in his image?

"Yes, I know he's Clark Kent. I get paid 12 million dollars to do something stupidly illegal where he can punch me, then I go to jail for a month, and get quietly released until it's my turn to be a 'problem' again. No, we will not try to 'raise the stakes' by attacking his loved ones, that's a stupid idea, and none of us are going to to gently caress with the gravy train anyway."

If I’m remembering right this is exactly the twist of Mark Millar’s Marvel Knights Spider-Man miniseries from like 2002 or so.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That’s funny until you realize there are millions of dudes out there who have the exact same thought, right down to “I’m the Punisher.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alacron posted:

Wasn’t there a comic that showed Impossible Man and Mr. Mxysptlk were the same being?

John Byrne's run on Superman, like around #50 I think. Mxyzptlk jumps into another dimension where he looks similar to Impossible Man and bothers a team that is almost the Fantastic Four.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

[timg]https://

What If? #19 (1980)

So Brando as Uncle Ben and Hackman as Osborn, right?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Internet says they grew him a new human body using the dna of both his parents (because that's how that works) and transferred his mind into that.

So...Tony was saving his parents' DNA but not his own?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Blue ranger looks like he needs to re-up his AARP membership

For some reason the artist was sent photos of Phil Hartman as reference material.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From Venom #28.

I don't remember this guy from the Council of Reeds.

He's the one the other Reeds told to stay in the basement to guard the bee.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

OHoTMUDE #12 (1986)

Man, you better not be ragging on my girl Ape-X.

The only thing I ever read with Water Wizard in it was Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe. I was floored to read OHOTMU later and find out he was a real character.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

There's a rumor that Nathan Fillion's character in The Suicide Squad is secretly Arm-Fall-Off-Boy. (He has said he isn't but we've been burned before by denials like this before.)

He’s identified in certain materials as “TDK.” This has been interpreted by some to stand for “The Detachable Kid.” Presumably this gives Fillion plausible deniability when asked if his character is “Arm-Fall-Off-Boy.”

Comic book movies are stupid.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Super-Villain Team-Up #14 (1977)

Doctor Doom, I’ve got a feeling your whole family’s going down!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

The Blue Beetle #12 (1942)

This couldn’t be taken for granted back then - I think the last issue of the original Captain America run was a horror anthology that just had Cap’s name on the cover.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Sorry, dude. "All Cops Are Bastards" includes even the LOTR fans.

I love how the cop doesn't know who Hulk is until he says his name. "Oh, you're THAT gigantic green monster-person?"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

He couldn't tell because of the trench coat and hat. The universal disguise.

"Sorry, fella, I thought you was one of them ninja turtles!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

It's 100% by Bernie Wrightson, that's from the comics adaptation of Creepshow.

I’m going to have to dig up my copy to see how Wrightson handled the visual of Ed Harris disco dancing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Cassa posted:

I kind of hate the gag of 'lol everyone secretly hates character X'.

Reminded me of that bit in Carnage USA where Hawkeye was calling Thing annoying. It's like when people write Aquaman comics and want to get ahead of superfriends jokes by having people in universe telling him he sucks.

I agree about the Aquaman jokes, but I loved the "Hawkeye hates Thing" gag. It made perfect sense to me that guy like Clint would be annoyed by another big personality drawing attention away from him. It's not like anyone else agreed with him - Spidey just wanted Ben to tone it down so Clint would shut up about it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I mean, Ben proved Hawkeye 100% right though.

Everybody has their shtick. I’ll bet Ben has definitely said: “Ooh, loogit me, I’m Hawkeye! I’m gonna quit the Avengers and start my own team, and then I’m gonna come crawling back cuz it’s not the Avengers! I’m a better leader than Captain Friggin America! Waa waa waa!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

The only cool things about Hawkeye are the things that are not Hawkeye. Like Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog.

This is not an emptyquote. I will take the ever lovin' blue-eyed idol of millions every time over Hawkguy.

EDIT: ^^^ And that settles it. Clint Barton is cancelled. At least Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew ain't no Galactus Truther.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Which purple-clad, archery-themed Avenger is that? I can't identify them with their face blurred.

Bullseye.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #10 (1943)

At last, Green Lantern meets his greatest adversary - Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I'm trying to figure out how in the world you get to Frank Miller becoming a character in a Watchmen spin-off and I can't do it. It's like having Joe Kubert meeting Captain Carrot.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Magneto’s secondary mutation is that he develops hammerhead shark DNA.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

No-Prize attempt: Thor has always been bulletproof, but he finds getting shot at annoying. Just because my kid shooting Nerf darts at me won't kill me doesn't mean I want Nerf darts shot at my face all day. Same deal.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

I think I got it figured out using my forensic intuition.

With this image inducer it feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Nothing at all!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I beg your pardon

Man, Evolutionary War was right at the start of my fervent comic collecting as a kid. I assumed the High Evolutionary was a top-tier Marvel supervillain on par with Dr. Doom and Galactus. That Alf comic definitely fed into that delusion, lol.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

thehumancondition.jpg

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: There's nothing to figure out here, I just found the expression of the guy getting shot funny :shrug:

[Record scratch] "Yep, that's me. I'll bet you're wondering how I ended up here, being shot in the throat by a pirate in the middle of a Belgian comic strip. Well, to tell that story properly, I'll have to start at the beginning..." ["Semi-Charmed Life" begins playing]

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Web of Spider-Man #9 (2010)

Are these ladies about to go Super Sayan? Are they Force ghosts? Regular ghosts? Radioactive?

Why are they glowing???

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

How does Lobo have a daughter? Wasn't he the last of his race because he killed them all?

Somebody really needs to explain to DC what "The Last" means. Superman's supposed to be "The Last Son of Kyrypton" but there the place is lousy with Kryptonians.

Superman is the last Kryptonian to be born on Krypton. The bottle city of Kandor was stolen by Brainiac before Kal-El was born, all of the Phantom Zone criminals were put there before he was born, Supergirl is older than he is.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kalli posted:

It'd be pretty great if it happened all at once and he spent a week looking like Concrete until it got all dried out and craggy again.

Give us the smooth Ben.

In the earliest issues Kirby drew him as more lumpy than craggy.

Didn't Ultimate Ben eventually molt and permanently become a jacked purple energy dude, or am I thinking of someone else?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

site posted:

I thought man thing's swamp was the nexus of the multiverse

Man-Thing guards the Nexus of All Realities, which knowing comic books is probably a different thing from the Nexus of the Multiverse.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

Someone pointed out the carefully sculpted crotch lighting and that's all I can see, now.

You can really tell the lefties from the righties, if you know what I mean and I think that you do.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I mean, to be clear, the art is not really bad there (apart from the very weird arms up in front, I guess). In fact whoever did that is clearly good at drawing, even if their style is a bit 90s (Jaguar and Lancelot Strong in particular have the big flatiron faces that were popular on pushed character designs from back then). The funny part is just how derivative the character designs are.

Well yeah, that's Rob Liefeld.

(Right? I feel like I'm missing a joke here.)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #3

Superman absolutely could see exactly what was happening down there, what a dick.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/irhottakes/status/1415721945442684937?s=21

I don’t know the issue/comic name. Presumably Batman

This is what I love about comics: You can spend your entire life and a small fortune becoming the world’s scariest badass, but even so a chimp in a Sherlock Holmes hat will talk poo poo to you once in a while.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

not every artist is prepared to draw spider-ham. it would be strange if they were.

It’s the baldness that’s unsettling for me - I always knew Peter Porker to have hair on his head.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GPTribefan posted:

There’s so many things I hate about that era of Wolverine, but two of my nitpickiest are the corner box and the logo. That logo kept getting longer and longer am until it took up a drat 1/3 of the page And the corner box was a recolored Kevin Nowlan piece (from Marvel Comics Presents I think?) - it was originally the brown and orange costume but changed when Logan went back to the old yellow and blue. The whole thing just seems off putting

The corner box pic looks like he’s doing a little dance.

“I’m the best there is at what I do, and what I do is YADADADADA-YADADADA-DAAAAAAAAA!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dareon posted:

And they all seem to work out as well as any goon project.

Sage will start the wiki.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

They need to reboot Turner D. Century as a dude with a flip phone who talks in Seinfeld and Simpsons quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Green Goblin #11 (1996)

I'll tell you what, I do not miss the 90s fixation on drawing big old strings of drool connecting characters' teeth.