Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Golden Age Flash doesn't have time for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also I guess Johnny Thunder's superhero costume is "shop clerk." Better than Cliff Cornwall though, who has decided he doesn't have to do little things like "put on a costume" or "come up with a superhero name."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Some sweet guitar shredding from Batman in this Teen Titans clip. Also a Nite Owl cameo (!?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0nzSctRRM

For some reason the producers of Teen Titans Go are allowed to use whatever they want from DC. Watchmen jokes, Teddy Bear Bane that is the Nolan movie costume, references to the old Teen Titans cartoon and Batman The Animated Series. Anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ManlyGrunting posted:

:stare:
So I'm going to hazard a guess that the Teen Titans comic books have little to no relation to the really fun show I liked when I was 13.

You should watch the recent Teen Titans cartoon, it is light hearted and extremely goofy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

goatface posted:

Does Banner have the beard, or does it vanish as he shrinks?

The rest of the Avengers have beards right now too so he'd fit right in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Howard theDuck is pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also isn't one of Conan's villains described as basically Skeletor?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I think this from the new Howard The Duck series.

Yes, its from Howard the Duck 1, because Jen and Howard share the same building.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole gravitas of the Hitler scene is kind of ruined by the "Turtle Island" trucker hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

So, is he the only teacher there with an actual teaching certificate? or did that get retconned with brand new day?

Even though Peter was a teacher I believe he didn't actually have a certificate or anything like that. He was hired on to a struggling school that couldn't get anyone else so they had relaxed standards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

So does Superman age or not? I've seen future Superman without gray hair I'm pretty sure.

I think most have him age at a slower rate than humans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, I don't think Sonic was banned, and if they are any good, just post 'em.

I think the point was someone was just doing an image dump from some Tumblr of "funny" Sonic panels and they (the panels) loving sucked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Best without context, I think, and since this is literally the first comic series I've ever read (Thanks, Marvel Unlimited promo codes), I didn't understand at all. Probably why I thought it was funny.

Avengers (2010) Issue #20

There's a perfectly good explanation and its called read Secret Warriors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Is Polaris his kid still? Or was she ever? I can't remember

According to the latest issue of Magneto she is still his daughter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

If you're going to restrict comic book writers to writing about things they understand, the whole business would immediately vanish.

Charles Soule's She Hulk would be the last comic left.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic even figures out a way for Boss Smiley to make sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good going, Pa. Happy Father's Day, rear end in a top hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

So Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olson (which means he must be an orphan. Unless Superman decided to ignore that little wrinkle. ) who is either a grown rear end man, or very nearly one. Either way, only a few years younger then Supes.

And then that fell apart because Superman clearly has a Greek Oracle telling him the future in a vague manner. That's the Silver Age.

During this time period it has been previously stated that Jimmy is 21 years old.

A lot of those stories are weird because they involved Superman needing to lie about something but not being able to because of the standards of the time. So instead he just creates these elaborate fictions where he isn't technically lying but instead doing things that cause people to misinterpret his intentions/actions. Another hallmark of the era was Superman not trusting anyone with anything, like the time that Jimmy accidentally gets Superman's secret identity written on his hand in indelible ink. Instead of just telling Jimmy and trusting that he'll cover it up until it wears off Superman creates this elaborate fiction wherein Jimmy thinks he's gained the ability to breathe underwater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

True - they did the covers first then wrote the stories to fit them in the Silver Age, didn't they? Sure, the entire reason the multiverse exists is supposed to be because Infantino drew a cover with both Barry Allen and Jay Garrick and said, "Ha! Write your way out of that one, Gardner!" (He probably did not say this, but he should have.)

During the height of the "B" movie era they would draw up posters and send them around to theaters. If enough owners ordered the movie only then would they actually shoot it.

GorfZaplen posted:

One time a cover artist on G.I. Combat mistook the directions "Drop an inch" as the name of a story, so Robert Kanigher sat down and wrote it during his lunch break.

Wonder Girl only came into existence because of a cover showing Wonder Woman doing stuff alongside a teenage and baby version of her character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It said "Superman is Clark Kent" because he was writing it for some time capsule. Really, a lot of Superman's problems with his identity in the Silver Age were his own fault because he kept writing it down somewhere and would then be shocked that someone found it.

Tiggum posted:

I know it's going to be really dumb, but I want to know how that plan was supposed to go. "Need to make sure no one sees my name on Jimmy's hand. Well, step one, obviously I need to convince him he can breathe underwater. That goes without saying."

Because if Jimmy thought he could breathe underwater he would then just spend all his time underwater and it would then be hard to read anything written on his hand because of light refraction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of Silver Age stories is when they just wouldn't really give a poo poo about how it is a superhero comic. Like the time Jimmy enters a goddamn marbles tournament and Superman just hangs out watching all this go down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh no, Jimmy came in first even though there was rampant cheating by the sponsor of another kid. He stole Jimmy's marble and then altered it by putting a bead of metal and then would alter the trajectory with a buried electromagnet. The other kid was unaware of the cheating and was sad that he didn't get second place on his own merits until Superman chimes in that he talked to the cheater who said that he barely had to cheat and that the kid totally got there almost on his own. The way that last part is given secondhand totally implied that Superman was just lying to the kid to make him feel better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's the one Scott AuckermHott Saucerman is writing, right?

Yes, there's also a good dramatic scene at the end with Peter Parker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The origin of Spider Hero is pretty great. Someone should post that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah son, I'm talking about his new origin in Secret Wars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like his stuff but his characters tend to look pretty same-y.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Silver Age Green Lantern is that he gets his ring and then pretty much instantly starts using it to date movie stars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nothing about how the ring chooses people based on intelligence, its just "without fear" and "honest."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When Hal first got the ring Abin Sur's explanation was that there was an impurity in the lantern that caused the weakness and removing the impurity caused the lantern to not work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why does it look like Drax has robot hands?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not very mysterious with an ingredient list right there, doc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

What the hell? Drax is from Earth.

Yeah Drax is a human guy transformed into a machine designed to kill Thanos. Except it wasn't like that in the movie so...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

I thought Drax the Destroyer was some alien version of Superman, just with a mohawk. And then they made him some skinny green knife guy for some reason.

Where the hell's this human stuff coming from?

Drax's origin was that he was a normal guy named Arthur Douglas, who was driving his wife and daughter down some back road when Thanos came to Earth. Wanting to keep his visit secret Thanos blew up Arthur's car killing everyone except for the daughter who was taken and eventually becomes the character Moondragon. Thanos' father realized that Thanos was too dangerous and so he brought Arthur Douglas back to life with a new body designed to be able to kill Thanos. At the beginning of Annihilation the prison ship Drax was on crashed and he was killed but he Doctor Who's himself and comes back to life slightly different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope people make fun of him a lot for calling himself "Mr. Sensitive".

Well, it was his mutant power. He was ultra sensitive to stimuli and had to wear a special suit designed by Prof X to be able to do anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was part of a group that had names like Phat, U-Go Girl, Anarchist, El Guapo and the kind of on the nose Dead Girl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Is there anything Steve Ditko didn't hate?

OBJECTIVISM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, so you're telling me that Superman didn't have a twitter account prior to this, and Lex Luthor hadn't jumped on every possible variation of his name to troll him?

In Injustice Luthor is a good guy who was friends with Superman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, the colorist screwed up the one notable thing about Stormtrooper armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silver Age Superman was so powerful that he could only stave off boredom by doing everything as circuitously as possible.