Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Who is the artist on that? The expressions in every panel that has been posted are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You have to appreciate simpler times, when the only thing you had to do to warrant some sort of hero status was just own something as mundane as a whip. It's basically the larval form of Flash's rogue gallery with people like Captain Boomerang.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, Chamber is a low-level telepath. He is able to broadcast his thoughts but can't read people's minds or much else.

His entire body is basically filled with crazy psionic lava energy that bursts out of his mouth-region; he actually destroyed a huge chunk of his body when his powers manifested, and his body is dead by any conventional measures that don't include walking around and changing your pants. He doesn't eat or breathe and there's a good chance he's actually just a purely psionic being who manifests a meat-shell to walk around in because that's what he remembers himself as being. Which makes it pretty appropriate for him to be teaching that class because he's got lots of freaky body issues!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

'Whoever Holds This Hammer, If They Be Worthy, Shall Possess The Mannerisms of.... THOR!'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I like how they're arm in arm. Very brotherly.

The Chinese guy's real name is Chop-chop.

The terrifying thing is that that is apparently the much-improved version of the character, who was originally on par with the worst of 1940s racism:

:stare:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's kind of a weird question. I mean, blind people are perfectly capable of imagining things, albeit not in the same way people who rely predominantly on sight do. All he has to do is imagine something in his way and then use his willpower to create that from the ring's energy, which is what all Lanterns do. Obviously it might seem bizarre or difficult to interpret to a sight-based lantern, but there isn't any reason that his imagined boxing glove punching you in the head would be functionally any different from Hal's.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

"Better not tell him about how his ring doesn't work on yellow things"

So eventually, this dude's gonna die when he can't move an object and has absolutely no idea why.

muscles like this? posted:

Nothing about how the ring chooses people based on intelligence, its just "without fear" and "honest."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I appreciate how his legs just stop at the floor in a flat line, like they're supposed to be phasing through the surface or something. Not even an attempt to create feet or even hide them, just squaring his legs against the surface and calling it done.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I wonder what a Jedi would do against that stunner that they used on Leia at the start of Star Wars. It was too wide to bounce.

They just need wide shot. If you're gonna fight Jedi, bring a shotgun. PROBLEM SOLVED.

I am guessing that a lot of kids (including me) had discussions with their friends about how you could beat a Jedi. We never had 'let him flail wildly for a bit and then just shoot him in the chest' on the list.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Avulsion posted:

I always assumed anyone without force powers would just get shot before they got anywhere near their opponent.

I can't remember the book, but I do remember an EU scene where Luke is meeting with some smuggler dude on his asteroid base and the guy is trying to work out if Luke might be a real Jedi, or just an dude who is a big enough tool to walk around with a lightsaber like he's actually going to use it without getting shot a dozen times. The idea that there are poser jerks in the universe who buy recovered sabers and strut around with them is pretty great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That panel is just great. I only just picked out Black Bolt and Medusa on the edge there. And that looks like Colossus' hair in the foreground?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Kelly is a serious cartoonist and a pillar of the art, I don't know how you haven't heard of him

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zach Morris should obviously be replaced by Kubiac from Parker Lewis Can't Lose as the heavy hitter.

1996 is a weird time, it turns out that most of the stuff I remember is either from the early 90s or the late 90s so it doesn't really fit. Looks like Sabrina got beaten out by the Craft for the witch spot. I guess you could put in Jarod from The Pretender.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I realize that page is probably from a long time ago, but I like to imagine that it's modern day and Strange was just the sort of enormous tool who would light up a cigarette on his way out of the operating room and rely on his ridiculous prestige to carry him over any problems.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am amused that Batman is paranoid enough to think that the woman he's seeing is a robot, but not enough to assume that someone building robot spies would spring for real hair. That's even the easiest part of real people to get!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am not sure who threw the bearskin rug at him, or why he needed to kick it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is Stan Lee actually involved in writing newspaper spiderman or is it farmed out like Garfield strips? I really hope that he is because its just amazing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

He also fought Bruce Lee.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Stardust the Super Wizard was originally published in 1939, so yes, he was an 100% real and unironic swing at the new superhero genre.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Lobok posted:

The car was destroyed but the past selves survived and got in the other car with their other selves. So there's two sets of them careening through time.

It actually looks like both cars had one set of human Bebop & Rocksteady and one set of mutant Bebop & Rocksteady, and one set of the human versions was killed in the crash (you can see Bebop sprawled on the ground and Rocksteady still trapped under the vehicle right before it explodes). But both sets of mutants and one set of humans all end up in the surviving car.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I want the comic about the public defender assigned to his case and how he tries to manage trial strategy with a giant ghost of evil.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Poverty? Those monsters have a TV and a VCR, I bet they even have a fridge. :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GPTribefan posted:

Also... Prince Namor is king? How is he a king if he's a prince??? How is he a prince if he's king??? drat you Spidey Super Stories!!!
Technically you could be a ruler titled as 'Prince', which I think was the case for a lot of the Italian states who were not titled as kings. Although in that case it would still be wrong, you would say something like 'Prince Namor is sovereign' instead.

Alternatively, maybe Prince his is given name, and he just as people call him Namor because being called 'King Prince' would be even more confusing.

Knormal posted:

...Antlantis?
Two editors!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's supposed to be mask, right, Taskmaster doesn't actually have a skull-head? I am glad that most people just draw it like he has a skullhead, it animates and expresses way better than if they tried to make it look like some kind of mask.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Taskmaster's ability isn't much use against real superpowers.

This definitely belongs here because the idea that Reed has faced all these crazy dangers and villains and then goes down to simply being shot at is hilarious. Doom is sitting in his castle clenching his fists 'Shoot him? Shoot him?! How did Doom not consider that!'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well you can't stuff a cape down inside a gown, that's just ridiculous.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

As two syllables, so that it rhymed with 'Cyril'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I didn't realize Ghost Rider was supposed to be super-strong, at least not on the level of Cage or Colossus. I hope that he's pulling his shots when he's whipping regular joes with chains and stuff. :stare:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bar Crow posted:

Batman totally trained in pie eating just in case lives depend on a pie eating contest.

That's Batman's tragic flaw. He can't rely on anyone because they'll inevitability let him down, just like his parents. They just weren't good enough. You have to be prepared for everything. Everything. Even nonsensical pie eating contests.

He doesn't want to eat the pie in case there will be a pie-based emergency any moment now, and he'll have lost his edge from eating some pie just for fun.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Isn't one of the early Superman stories him strong-arming a bank into giving a regular dude a loan, because they're been loving with him Mr. Potter style?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

To be fair if you had a literally invulnerable super alien threatening to crush bankers because they were kind of poo poo, you might see some rapid reform in the banking industry based on the fear they would be straight-up murdered.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Amazing X-Men #18: The X-Men (plus a depowered Cain Marko) have been trying to recover the Gem of Cyttorak before it can make a new Juggernaut but they've been beaten to the punch by the Living Monolith

I hope this ends with Monolith coming back and trying to cheer them up into fighting him 'Hey guys, are we doing this? It's just that, this juggernaut thing, I think its kind of going to be a high point for me, so if you could do me a solid and go a few rounds here that would mean a lot to me'.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

This sort of logic is at work in several properties. Dresden Files, for example. To a lesser extent, Shadowrun. Off the top of my head.

TV Tropes I'm sure can get you the full deets.

Dresden Files is kind of amusing in this regard because the level of interference is basically arbitrarily set to enable Dresden to work like a noir gumshoe, so he can roll around in his classic car with a revolver and get ominous phone calls.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Boscar of Krag seems to be competing in an entirely different event than Superman and Borko, although breaking chains with your pec flex is still impressive.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

goatface posted:

You missed Brain in a Jar.

Why does the brain jar have like a dozen syringes in it? That doesn't seem safe. :ohdear:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, I am just relying on the wiki, but from there at least it appears that the Batcave first appeared in 1942, while the Arrowcave appeared in 1941. Meaning that Batman is actually the imposter! :aaa:

But Batman comes out ahead on the Batmobile (1940) and Batplane (1940) compared to the Arrowcar (1941) and Arrowplane (1947).

I had no idea that Green Arrow was so old.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Of all of those I actually really appreciate 'arrowplane' because it is a good play on 'Aeroplane'. But it doesn't work nearly as well if you are American/Canadian.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

IUG posted:

What the gently caress is that? "Check check"?

It really confused me too, but I think it is supposed to be 'J.J.', given they're referring to the new Star Trek movies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Rhonne posted:

I..wha? How is she swinging it like that? Shouldn't the gun be knocked the other way? Isn't that mace going to just swing around and hit her in the back?

Well judging from her pose, her back is already broken so maybe that's what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, in that sense you could probably just say that he's kind of like the Batman of the Martians - he's not actually superhuman (or I guess, supermartian) but he's operating at the top level of his species capability in more than one category.