Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hup posted:

Black Buck, holy poo poo

Almost as bad as the Barracuda spinoff of Ennis' Punisher MAX series. I honestly think Ennis had a bet to see how many derogatory terms he could fit into an unrestricted book - "shine" even made an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think there's also a scene somewhere (maybe one of the animated films) in which one of Luthor's labs discovers the cure for cancer (while Superman is in the Fortress of Solitude trying and failing to do the same thing), and he immediately orders them to work out how to turn it into a series of lifetime treatments to maximise its profitability.

And then people will turn it into a "Lone Gunman" moment when the first 'cure' for cancer is exactly that. Rogaine for tumors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Ooh, free wifi!

No...free "W1F1," which will likely be the strain of virus you'll get by staying there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That would have been inappropriate in a movie made for children!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMUj8bKr2E&t=15s

"Never wear synthetic fibers when you're on a volcano, kids!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Technically she'd have the last name of Odinsdottir, so they'd have to re-inscribe Mjolnir. No they wouldn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For some reason I can't help but think of that guy being the supervillain version of Ted Turner in something like The Venture Brothers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

She has an invisible plane even though she can fly and unbreakable bracers even though she's bulletproof.

To be fair, the invisible plane is a holdover from the time when she *couldn't* fly, and the bracers work against stuff like lasers and energy beams. I'd imagine if Superman ever tried to punch her, if she blocked with those 'magic' bracers she'd have an even-money chance of breaking something in his hand, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The other part can be the artistic message that the hero understands that true strength comes not from lashing out, but from holding back. That control, discipline and calmness are virtues and to win with such a handicap only makes you even more powerful.

One of the most interesting parts, and one of the only *unique* parts of the Irredeemable book was that the main superhero-turned-psychopath had powers he didn't even know about.

From the Wiki page:

The Plutonian's powers are not physical but psionic, enabling him to subconsciously manipulate matter on an atomic level: allowing him to heat or freeze the air, see through objects, fly, render himself virtually indestructible, possess super strength and heightened senses, and make opponents more susceptible to damage. Modeus (the Lex Luthor analog in the book) hypothesizes that if the Plutonian is made aware of his true abilities he would be able to alter probability, see through time and reverse entropy, concluding "and that's just if he moves from Kindergarten to grade school."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't wait to hear the MRA backlash over the Batgirl variant cover removal, pretty much all of it boiling down to people being angry that they didn't buy a copy before it was shitcanned, making it potentially more valuable in the long run.

"We should be able to celebrate the Joker's birthday by celebrating that time Alan Moore had him cripple Batgirl and take naked pictures of her!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Darkseid is the kind of dude that the mere existence of makes it hard for me to believe the DC universe can exist in a recognizable shape compared to our own. There's a guy out there who's basically the Space Devil, is theoretically powerful enough to mop the floor with every hero on earth, and he's pretty publicly known. You'd think that'd impact society a little.

I mean you can make the same argument for a character like Galactus, but his stories actually do have people flipping their poo poo and re-evaluating their worldview when confronted with his existence.

Darkseid isn't thought of as the ever-present Space Devil because 1) his attacks on Earth are few and far between in a society that's pretty much in danger of extinction every week, and 2) he's got an entire planet full of 'willing' servants whom I honestly think are willing because they're the most selfless characters in the DC Universe. Darkseid would be blowing up planets by the dozens *daily* if he didn't have billions of slaves willing to suffer his evil whimsy. He's spoiled.

I also think it's a vastly under-explored phenomena that's only been touched upon by that "Luthor" GN a while back...in a world with metahumans, why even *bother* being human? It makes you wonder if there's honestly just a cabal of telepaths in both DC and Marvel's respective universes that pull a Maxwell Lord on the entire population pretty much every day to keep them from just swan diving off the nearest skyscraper rather than wait for the world-ending catastrophe of that particular week.

And yeah, also the human capacity for pulling a Lego Movie and having "everything is awesome" playing in their heads. =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of Apokolips and all things related, evidently when Parademons talk, they sound like this:

Source: Azrael #34, supposedly.

I wonder if that's Apokoliptian for "I'm gonna become someone's new avatar."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I feel like someone should edit that Superman run where he did just that, but replace all instances of Superman with Darkseid.

Instead of 'good common American folk' I'd imagine Darkseid seeking out people to speak with like David Duke, Lyndon LaRouche, and Cliven Bundy.

"You've been a nuisance to men of power for decades, Mr. LaRouche. You're living proof to the testament of anti-life, as you basically are against everything everyone logical is *for*, and thus you have lived well into your nineties. Bravo, sir."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 20, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In any other book, the Kingpin thinking he could become President simply by kidnapping the real one would mean he was having a stroke.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AndyP posted:

Jonah is a supremely poor judge of character.

Well, at least he just *trapped* the UN; Joker tried to kill them all with Smilex.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

He also turned them into dust one time.

Actually, I think that was just the Security Council.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Unknown, but not very lady-like.

"And I've been told I could be paid very well for doing it...if I was that sorta gal!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Blank Space is also a pretty fitting song for Jen's love life, so I think it's a better joke.

Well, when you think about it...

She physically wouldn't be able to have sex with a man who wasn't invulnerable *everywhere*. Even her trying to be *gentle* while in Hulk form would probably leave a guy in the ICU as a best case scenario. And if she reverted back to normal, there'd still be a biohazard as I think gamma-doped blood is extremely dangerous to 'normies.'

Jen's acknowledged it, too:

And: http://arousinggrammar.com/2012/07/12/she-hulk-loves-juggernaut/ (too many post-worthy panels on this page to copy to here)

Source: Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, but the other woman is Betty Ross, and later on, she flirts with Wolverine and confirms his joints and bones are laced with Adamantium. The disembodied voice is Wolverine talking to Fury.

One of the most interesting things I remember about the pre-New 52 Wonder Woman was when she first brought Nemesis to Themyscira to meet her mother, he asked if she could feel it when he touched her, and she said 'no.'

And lastly:

Source: Unknown.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 1, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

This is a really creepy, weird post. But She-Hulk has been shown in bed with normal dudes before with no ill effects.

Including a few panels at that linked site, which is nearly 500 pages' worth of gold.

And sorry to sexualize a character that Marvel has clearly sexualized for comedic purposes. Didn't realize you were a member of the CCA.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 1, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

InShaneee posted:

You must think about superheroes doing it an awful lot.

Byproduct of being a Vampirella reader. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 1, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Buried proved that Reynolds has hella serious acting chops, too. I think he (or his agent) just has a tendency to play it safe and stick to the wise-cracking rear end in a top hat roles.

Unfortunately Woman in Gold is getting really bad reviews, so those 'hella serious acting chops' might take a hit. And Reynolds at maximum snark is his performance in Waiting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZevrHkWVE

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 4, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pierson posted:

For those of us who never played either franchise but was aware of how huge they were at one point what was the reason? The hobby they were based on stopped being cool combined with market saturation?

They were video games that made people feel like they weren't playing video games. THPS had music and show-offy combos going for it and GH and Rock Band were "party" games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

:effort:

Let me help you there.

I'm stealing the gently caress out of this for a few other forums. Not gonna rain on the original guy's parade.

Thanks a ton. :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:lol: Considering how loving much I hate the Batman: Vampire series, this is some genius comedic gold right here.

Batman craving weak, watered-down espresso speaks volumes about his inner character.

Just proves Animated Batman is best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reMYQSXB0g

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That second panel will never not be hysterical to me. If only because Mag's eyes have gone full-on Tommy Wiseau.

For some reason my mind goes to this:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh hey, that bares a striking resemblance to ~Cryptozoic Man~, a character 'invented' by the guys from Comic Book Men:

"But, you see, the original has a tree and diamond limb and ours has NO wooden or mineral-based appendages at all!"

Don't look for the larger image of this, or GIS for other panels. "Crossed" has less hosed-up visuals than this book.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 19, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And then they gave Cheryl her own book and kinda ran into the same problem where she has to be at least sort of likeable in her bitchiness for it to work. Hence why she's only a semi-regular supporting character now.

"But she loves animals!"

"So did Hitler."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Huh. Is this just the normal Deadpool book?

Source: Deadpool #50

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 28, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TwoPair posted:

He throws in Logans :rimshot:

Or Silverfoxes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That first panel will launch a thousand slashfics.

"Bizzaro am totally *bottom* in this relationship."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't this guy land a DC gig?

Yes, he did a segment in the last Harley Quinn Annual.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The other thing that makes that panel so great is that the "Deal With It" shades covers up the :downs: eyes the artist seemed to decide she needed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Travis343 posted:

In All-Star Superman, Clark tells Lois himself and she straight up doesn't believe him.

To be fair, All-Star Superman also has the part in it where he brings Lois to the Fortress of Solitude, and something he's doing causes her to hallucinate that the reason he brought her there was to make her the sole breeder for a new race of Kryptonians, which is pretty hosed up for something that's effectively a PG-13.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the one where Luthor pours millions of dollars into a computer programme that will reveal Superman's identity, then when it reveals that he's Clark Kent, he flies into a rage, cancels the project and sacks the scientist who designed the software, because obviously nobody as powerful as Superman would choose to be a mild-mannered newspaper reporter.

Or when Damien in the Injustice arc responds to Batman's "Icarus Protocol" to shut down the Watchtower before Superman could 'out' him by saying "you're a living computer...and you're supposedly the smartest man alive. You're telling me you can't put four little words online?"

Source: Injustice, can't remember the exact issue.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 25, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dimensional portals in his eyes. Punches from the Punch Dimension.

Pretty sure that at one point someone tried to make the canon that his eyes were portals to another dimension of composed of pure energy, so you're not far off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Drifter posted:

Well, I mean, our dimension is one of pure energy, too, so it's not much of a stretch.

Yeah, it's like someone saying that anti-universes are because the electrons orbit the atoms the *other way*, or the planets follow different orbital directions/trajectories. It is interesting when you see the difference in narrative between old comics and new ones - they know they can't just spitball bullshit because some amateur NdT or the *real* NdT will call them on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This was not hard to find, and also comes without the pull toy: http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Comes-There-T-shirt/dp/B00KDNK01S

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, Virginia - you have to have a law where pepper spraying someone is the same as releasing nerve gas or lethal choking agents.

Chris is gonna be currency in the pokey - if putting a bomb in a mailbox constitutes a "weapon of mass destruction" these days...pepper spray is intentional and first-degree.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Having just read Quiver, Cacophony, Widening Gyre, and Green Hornet back to back a few weeks after reading Guardian Devil, this is a more accurate statement.

The exchange between Batman and a drugged-out, semi-level-headed Joker was a good part (probably *the* only good part) of Cacophony, but it was all completely undone by Widening Gyre. I can live without scenes like Cacophony slitting a woman's throat just because Smith seems to think fridging is still a good thing. Even Cacophony had a part in it where the villain kills a hooker for no other reason than LOOK HOW EDGY I AM.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear he was trying to be an Ennis knockoff, only his 'oh, that guy' thing is dead women instead of rape.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The only thing I remember about his Batman run is Batman pissing himself, and the Joker offering to let the guy who broke him out of prison gently caress him in the rear end.

Actually, if I remember my horrible writing, Joker said he insisted on being a "top" in that exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I swear he dropped his pants and bent over for the guy. Also maybe the line "I warn you, I bottom from the top" in it? But that might have been from some other thing with a similar, terrible joke.

You've got a better memory for poo poo writing than I do:

Source: Batman: Cacophony