Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Do... Do they still employ Crazzy Steve?

They sure as hell better.

He's listed when you click Menagerie. Who is sadder, the people in those pictures or the people who watch the shows?

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

So are King Mo and Bobby Lashley done with TNA now that its not on Spike?

Lashley no, Mo probably.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's weird seeing a guy this overvalued by the market.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Del Rio was a great talent poorly handled by WWE, he's exactly what a secondary company should want. Even slightly book him better and people will be amazed about the turn around.

Basically AJ Styles in TNA vs NJPW/ROH

Del Rio isn't half the talent of AJ. He's a good wrestler with some charisma and a good look but he's not someone to build your company around.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

They'd be better served securing a cheap venue in a town they do decent business in. But that would require them to have a town they do decent business in.

There is no city in the country that will support an audience for a weekly wrestling show. It's just impossible in this day and age, they are better off in a theme park.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

It hasn't been a weekly wrestling show in a long time, more like a once-a-month (or even les frequent) taping schedule of three shots. They've out and out stated that they don't want to do live IMPACTs anymore - or at least not as often - so they can post-produce the footage for Unlocked and stuff so I don't see them going back to weekly in the near or far term, especially given the cost of that.

I don't mean weekly tapings. It's a show that requires a weekly 2 hour show meaning you can't really tape more than 2 episodes at a time. You aren't going to burn through an audience any slower doing 3 marathon tapings every 5-6 weeks. They draw so poorly that even their best recent crowds would be money losers compared to taping at the Impact Zone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You don't think Philly could do it?

Not a chance in hell. ROH couldn't pull it off with a one hour show. This ain't the 90s anymore and even if TNA was ECW they probably couldn't pull it off and survive. It's too expensive to produce wrestling TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know, with their new format I could see them taping way more than 2 hours if they're relying as heavily on backstage 'reality' stuff as it sounds like. I'm not disagreeing that a town probably can't sustain that sort of taping schedule unless maybe it was an LA studio, but it sure sounds like they're going in the direction of taping a fair bit more at each taping and padding it out with backstage stuff they film later. We won't know what exactly this reality nonsense is or the ratio of that to wrestling is until next week at the earliest but I'm thinking it's a lot closer to the Lucha Underground model than what they were doing before (replace the telenovella aspect with 'generic reality show' I guess).

They can only tape so much backstage stuff. Remember they have a rerun that will have original backstage footage too. Given what they've announced about their taping schedule I don't think they are paring back close to what they'd need to do to run fewer tapings. Not that such a move would help their live gate, they haven't been to New York in 5 months and they aren't close to selling out a small building for tonight's show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really want that new Lashley shirt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaponX posted:

can someone please put that ratings number in context to what they were doing on spike? good times and bad?

A bad viewership number on Spike was a million viewers. (Although they were going below this in the last year.) For years they averaged a 1.1-1.2 rating and 1.5 million viewers, then started dropping in viewership as time went on to 1.3 million viewers. In the last couple years it dropped to 1.1-1.3 million viewers and we got to where we are.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to be too busy for a couple of days to watch something, even if it is part of their job.

On the other hand the WK9 discussion makes it pretty obvious that Dixie isn't a wrestling fan and doesn't have much interest in watching wrestling.

It's pretty unreasonable someone wouldn't have time to watch the most important thing their company has put on in months.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I think its utterly incompetent planning that not only wasn't Dixie on hand on Wednesday but neither was the primary TNA director David Sahadi because he was in Nashville overseeing some business. The idea that TNA and Dixie couldn't schedule its other business on any day OTHER than the day they debut on Destination America and come back from like a 3 month purgatory is kind of mind blowing in its dysfunction.

But if we assume Dixie had business she HAD to do on Wednesday than I don't find it too ridiculous that she didn't get a chance to watch it in the next day or whatever before the interview. She should have found the time and like I said it speaks to some massive dysfunction, but time is a bitch.

But I think the more telling aspect of that is that when you take "I haven't watched Impact yet" with "I have no real interest to watch WK9 but I'm sure people in my company have seen it" it just screams "I don't like wrestling and don't much care to watch it." Which is probably a pretty damning thing since you'd assume that in the decade or whatever she's been doing this she'd develop SOME interest in it.

It is unreasonable the president of a company who is relaunching their brand could not find time to watch their relaunch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cory Lidle posted:

The first night honestly was pretty good in terms of the attendance. They filled out the floor level entirely, so a couple sparse rows in the upper balcony is whatever. Darkening the crowd actually gives more credence to the twitter photo which is peak TNA.

The Manhattan Center is a tiny tiny venue for televised wrestling, if you can't sell it out it's not pretty good, especially with comps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

I could go to TNA or I could act in a tv show that people watch and spend time with my girlfriend and wife. Decisions decisions.

Edge never changes does he.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's so perfect it would be in USA Today. Especially since the WCW birdshit ad was also after the product had a coat of paint and crappy new logo thrown on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blasmeister posted:

Bro, you got to make it look natural. Fights could start AT ANY TIME! when your audience knows that, they'll be glued to their screens so they don't miss a goddamn second of action. Total. Nonstop action. It writes itself!

The funny thing is TNA did this sort of thing with Joe/Daniels back in 2006 and it was a controversial move at the time. They taped the match and had it start right at the open of the show in progress. So right after The Ultimate Fighter ended viewers got these two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other and doing cool moves. It made for a really good engaging opening. Now they do dumb poo poo like have a giant senseless brawl to open or put open a match during break.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

Probably a dumb question, but why is Samoa Joe even in TNA?

I mean I realize why at this point. But was there a reason he didn't go to WWE?

He was offered a WWE developmental deal in the mid aughts but didn't take it because it would have been a pay cut. Punk did seeing the upside and Joe went to TNA where he could still do indie dates and Japan. Joe made really good money and as rovert said eventually got one of the six figure deals TNA was giving out when they were just losing as much money as they could. Now WWE has no interest (and probably hasn't for years) so he's likely re-signed to a more modest deal after his big deal ran out a month ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, whilst I do support wrestlers going to WWE and realizing their dream, and getting the 'big' money etc. It is a huge workload and you have to ruin your body 300+ days a year for a company that doesn't give a gently caress about your health, (here, have a Z-Pack).

So I am happy for those wrestlers, like Samoa Joe, who can get a living wage, but still have enough time to be with their families, and not have to sacrifice their health to Vince's insane work ethic.

But on the other hand ... TNA. Joe, (and indeed anyone), deserves better.

No one is doing 300+ dates for WWE. Last year Cesaro worked the most matches and did under 200. Guys like AJ were saying that the easy schedule of a TNA wrestler was a myth and between their TNA and indie dates they were on the road nearly as much as you'd be in WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

His wording makes me think she's not under contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I watched Impact Wrestling, but there's only so much negativity I can take from you guys.

Waaaa people make fun of the horrible company I love that no one watches.

• Locked thread