Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I am really excited for this card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It's going to be bad but I still cannot wait.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

origami posted:

It's going to be bad but I still cannot wait.

nah, showeathers on it

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
http://instagram.com/p/xVTLlhSDkP/

Tyson Griffen posted a few videos.

DC and Jones passed each other in the hall of the hotel. What happened next is what you would expect from two high school students.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
http://instagram.com/p/xVt5ARw8p5/
Alpha Male doing their thang!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have an Avatar bet against someone. And I made that bet while I was drinking heavily so I can't remember who. :shrug:

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I am really excited for this card

Me too.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Three-to-one for DC over Jones in this poll? I think a lot of those are "wish" votes rather than "believe" votes.

There's been an awful lot of smack-talking and heat between those two. What happens when Jones inevitably beats Cormier and walks out with the belt still in his hands? Does Cormier acknowledge that Jones is the better fighter, or does he make excuses, or does he just make vague noises about going back to the drawing board? For that matter, what does he do if he wins? Does he do one of those annoying suddenly-gracious fakey about-faces, or does he gloat and keep stoking the fire?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Centripetal Horse posted:

Three-to-one for DC over Jones in this poll? I think a lot of those are "wish" votes rather than "believe" votes.

There's been an awful lot of smack-talking and heat between those two. What happens when Jones inevitably beats Cormier and walks out with the belt still in his hands? Does Cormier acknowledge that Jones is the better fighter, or does he make excuses, or does he just make vague noises about going back to the drawing board? For that matter, what does he do if he wins? Does he do one of those annoying suddenly-gracious fakey about-faces, or does he gloat and keep stoking the fire?

lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Centripetal Horse posted:

1)lol
2)http://podcastone.com/downloadsecur...zcyNDAqKnw=.mp3

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
DC gonna win and instead of the joe rogan post fight interview we will be blessed with an impromptu Hot Boys reunion and performance of Juvenile's "Ha"

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
Jones will win via first round guillotine and we will finally have conclusive proof that the headlock you used to put your brother in when you were children is actually the most effective combat technique known to mankind.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

maffew buildings posted:

DC gonna win and instead of the joe rogan post fight interview we will be blessed with an impromptu Hot Boys reunion and performance of Juvenile's "Ha"

I would love this but, let's be serious here.

They have to do "We On Fire"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That video in the OP still creeps me out. After DC says he's going to spit in Jones' face it's like his 'how to be a people' program running in his head shuts down and he just goes into creepy murder robot mode with dead eyes and all

What I'm saying is Jon Jones is really weird and I hope DC shuts him down

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

who did you piss off enough for a Av and red text change

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

maffew buildings posted:

Not all that great as youngster was Wheezy, Joe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm desperately hopeful that DC can wrestle Bones to a 50-45 and make the main event a real snoozer. If he can finish him on the ground, even better.

I'd take the worlds worst fight if it meant Bones lost his belt and inevitably acted like the huge child he is with Rogan afterwards.

Can't see it happening, but I'm believe in the spirit bomb.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i said it in the december thread but will reiterate it here: gustaffson gave a very good blueprint on how to neutralise a lot of jon's favorite toys. dc and his entire camp will be cognizant of this. dc is a tough mother fucker and incredibly strong, but he hasn't really been tested, this leaves dc as something of an unknown quantity. he is a fat middleweight that trains as a literal, actual equal with cain velasquez. imagine if cain was fighting jon. what would your opinion be?

i'm betting on jon because the odds are great, but i will not be at all surprised if cormier wins, or loses a close decision. i believe it will be a lot closer than a lot of goons predict.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
i wonder what Jones answer will be for DCs single leg/running the pipe attack. He has to expect that Cormier will get there at some point and thats where he does his best work. Im assuming they are working on some kind of Greg Jackson style answer for that

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also if the ref said specifically to jones close your loving hands or i'm immediately taking points, i'd bet my entire house on cormier but this won't happen so file this under goonfantasies.txt

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
On Chael's podcast, DC made a really good point that when Chael bumrushed Jones he kind of looked scared and threw shots without looking. There were moments in the Gus fight where he did the same thing, so DC is probably looking to bully his way inside and then keep the pressure on.

I don't have any doubts that Cain would take down Jones and loving maul him if they ever fought.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cain would finish him inside a round and make it look ridiculously easy.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Cain would eat one oblique kick and his knee would instantly disintegrate

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

origami posted:

Cain would eat one oblique kick and his knee would instantly disintegrate

It would but he would still win and then be out for a decade.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Obviously the Jones hate is making people forget that he's actually an invincible fighting cyborg and on the one occasion he got pushed to the brink he still had the ultimate ability, Diego Sanchez judge mind control.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Marching Powder posted:

also if the ref said specifically to jones close your loving hands or i'm immediately taking points, i'd bet my entire house on cormier but this won't happen so file this under goonfantasies.txt

Real question, is that within a ref's power to do? Is fighting with your hands open a foul itself that the ref can deduct points for, or can he only take a point when an eyepoke actually happens?

It seems like your suggestion would be the best way to prevent Cormier from leaving the octagon with no vision loss, I'm just wondering how far the rules allow a ref to go with preventive measures.

MacDougall posted:

Obviously the Jones hate is making people forget that he's actually an invincible fighting cyborg and on the one occasion he got pushed to the brink he still had the ultimate ability, Diego Sanchez judge mind control.

He may have Sanchez judge mind control, but that's yet to be seen since the judges got the Jones/Gus decision right so no Jesus voodoo powers were necessary.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

SquirrelGrip posted:

who did you piss off enough for a Av and red text change

A Cool Dude who definitely doesn't own a fedora

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Real question, is that within a ref's power to do? Is fighting with your hands open a foul itself that the ref can deduct points for, or can he only take a point when an eyepoke actually happens?

Well, he definitely got warned by Big John and he kept telling him to close his hands.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

LordPants posted:

Well, he definitely got warned by Big John and he kept telling him to close his hands.

Yeah I remembered that, but I was thinking it was along the same lines as his "watch the back of the head" type warnings, where obviously he won't penalize the fighter unless he actually punches the other dude in the back of the head.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i said it in the december thread but will reiterate it here: gustaffson gave a very good blueprint on how to neutralise a lot of jon's favorite toys. dc and his entire camp will be cognizant of this. dc is a tough mother fucker and incredibly strong, but he hasn't really been tested, this leaves dc as something of an unknown quantity. he is a fat middleweight that trains as a literal, actual equal with cain velasquez. imagine if cain was fighting jon. what would your opinion be?

i'm betting on jon because the odds are great, but i will not be at all surprised if cormier wins, or loses a close decision. i believe it will be a lot closer than a lot of goons predict.

I feel that looking for Gustafsson fight for a blueprint is not going to help DC, since he wont have the height/reach that Gustafsson had helping him, so he cant punch over Jon's hands.

I'm thinking that this fight will look more like the Rashad/Rampage fights where Jones neutralised their strengths and in rampages case left him puncing air.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is DC the shortest guy Jon has fought so far? If Cormier can't get him down its going to be a long 5 rounds for him.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Brasseye posted:

Is DC the shortest guy Jon has fought so far? If Cormier can't get him down its going to be a long 5 rounds for him.

I could see him going the Chael route of bum-rushing Jones right out the gate, and hoping that his strength and wrestling skills allow him to do better with it than Chael did.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Snitchster Christian vs DC Talk is going to be a neat fight, I hope Cormier hits at least one powerslam

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

On Chael's podcast, DC made a really good point that when Chael bumrushed Jones he kind of looked scared and threw shots without looking. There were moments in the Gus fight where he did the same thing, so DC is probably looking to bully his way inside and then keep the pressure on.

I don't have any doubts that Cain would take down Jones and loving maul him if they ever fought.

I posted about this before somewhere, but I think the Chael plan is a pretty good one for DC. No one else has bumrushed jones like that, grabbed him, and landed a bunch of shots. If DC rushes in with the same strat it looks a lot different.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Monson/Sylvia for a new generation. I can't wait.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Brasseye posted:

I don't know about Jones early career fights but DC's tied with Rashad for shortest UFC opponent at 5'11". At least that's what they're listed at, I didn't think DC was 5'11" until I looked it up.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

Snitchster Christian vs DC Talk is going to be a neat fight, I hope Cormier hits at least one powerslam

This post deserves a blue ribbon at whatever county fair these two groups are inevitably playing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I could see him going the Chael route of bum-rushing Jones right out the gate, and hoping that his strength and wrestling skills allow him to do better with it than Chael did.

Bingo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My inclination is to think that DC will have at least one other strategy going in addition to the bumrushes. If Jones has shown anything, it's that he's good at adjusting to an opponent's strategy and finding a way to win, even if he's made uncomfortable. See: literally every fight in which an opponent had some success against Jones. DC will switch it up. My guess is that he'll also spend time on the outside, circling and trying to catch low round kicks, or trying to achieve reactive shots if Jones steps in, because that's really the only other thing I can imagine he can do with that reach differential.

That reach discrepancy may even be too great for DC to use the circle-slip-body right strategy that Serra used to open up GSP (8 inch reach disadvantage), but I also expect to see him at least try it. Jones is going to be concerned about the takedown enough that least be worth trying, and could score some aggression points if Jones just keeps backing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I don't know about Jones early career fights but DC's tied with Rashad for shortest UFC opponent at 5'11". At least that's what they're listed at, I didn't think DC was 5'11" until I looked it up.

The main himself mentioned he was 5'10" during one of the preview shows.

• Locked thread