Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Please add the MMA snack rating to the OP tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheCool69 posted:

I feel that looking for Gustafsson fight for a blueprint is not going to help DC, since he wont have the height/reach that Gustafsson had helping him, so he cant punch over Jon's hands.

I'm thinking that this fight will look more like the Rashad/Rampage fights where Jones neutralised their strengths and in rampages case left him puncing air.

I agree with you that DC just doesn't have Gus's height, but DC is a wildly different animal than Rampage. Rashad might be a decent comparison.

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 2, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheCool69 posted:

I feel that looking for Gustafsson fight for a blueprint is not going to help DC, since he wont have the height/reach that Gustafsson had helping him, so he cant punch over Jon's hands.

I'm thinking that this fight will look more like the Rashad/Rampage fights where Jones neutralised their strengths and in rampages case left him puncing air.

The principles of what Gus laid out aren't solely dependant on height and reach. Their assets are fundamentally different but Jones is the constant. Jones has been neutralised and Cormier and his camp are aware of how, and will adapt it to his skills etched are talking about a tiny heavyweight capable of bullying heavyweights, who trains with the best heavyweight in the world. I'm not saying Cormier is comparable to Rashad or rampage, because their careers have been so different that it would be impossible. But ask me 'could Rashad or rampage bully legit top 10 heavyweights and there would be a serious question mark there. DC is unknown, and powerful, that is all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a conversation between DC and Jones's coach.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hope DC comes out with some advanced adidas eye-poke goggles and rules the 205 class forever. #eyetech

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I think what gives me the most hope for a DC win is his apparent supreme confidence. Most of Jones' opponents seem to beat themselves by being scared to do anything that will bring them into his range, but I don't get the impression from his interviews that DC will have that problem. He's talking about how he's going to beat Jones so bad it will destroy his career. If nothing else it's got me pumped for the fight!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beggar posted:

Please add the MMA snack rating to the OP tia

D'oh!

I forgot the snack rating, this is perfect:

NY Times Bitter Herbs Salad posted:

Bitter Herbs Salad

Bitter herbs – the maror – are part of the Seder ritual, symbolizing the bitterness of slavery experienced by the Jews in Egypt. Endive, romaine and chicory (for which I’ve substituted radicchio) are present on many Sephardic ritual platters, but often they also appear in salads served with the meal. This can be served as a separate course or as a side dish.

2 hearts of romaine lettuce

1 small head radicchio

2 Belgian endives

1 1/2 cups arugula or watercress, washed and dried

1 rib celery, preferably from the heart, sliced very thin

2 scallions, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (optional)

1 small garlic clove

Salt to taste

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Wash and dry the romaine lettuce leaves and break into medium pieces. Separate the radicchio leaves and cut into medium pieces. Rinse and dry the endives and slice crosswise about 3/4 inch thick. Toss together all of the greens, the celery and the scallions in a large salad bowl and sprinkle the herbs over the top.

2. Skin the garlic clove, cut in half and remove green shoots. Place in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt and mash to a paste. Work in the lemon juice and then the olive oil. Taste and adjust salt. Transfer to a jar until ready to serve the salad.

3. Just before serving, shake the dressing in the jar, pour over the salad and toss.

Variations: Sliced radishes can be added to the salad for color.

Yield: 6 servings.

Advance preparation: The greens can be prepared, wrapped in a clean kitchen towel and then sealed in plastic bags and refrigerated, several hours ahead.

Nutritional information per serving (note that most of the calories come from the dressing; you can use less to reduce them): 210 calories; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 10 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 56 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 4 grams protein

Added to OP

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

CommonShore posted:

My inclination is to think that DC will have at least one other strategy going in addition to the bumrushes. If Jones has shown anything, it's that he's good at adjusting to an opponent's strategy and finding a way to win, even if he's made uncomfortable.

I can't remember a single adjustment Jones has ever made in a fight where his opponent found success early on.

Against Vitor he got his arm tweaked but consistently applied pressure until Vitor's brain broke, per usual.
Against Chael he took him down and then realized he really was a better fighter than a middleweight non-champion.
Against Gus he only started finding success as Gus started slowing down.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

origami posted:

Cain would eat one oblique kick and his knee would instantly disintegrate

You'd be surprised.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I can't remember a single adjustment Jones has ever made in a fight where his opponent found success early on.

Against Vitor he got his arm tweaked but consistently applied pressure until Vitor's brain broke, per usual.
Against Chael he took him down and then realized he really was a better fighter than a middleweight non-champion.

Actually, while Gus tiring was obviously a factor, it was midway through the fight that Jones started taking advantage of Gus always slipping to his right by timing him with head kicks and elbows, which is what led directly into the big elbow that turned the fight around.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st AD posted:

According to Greg Jackson this is Jones' primary gift, his gas tank

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

He also adjusted to Machida's timing and angles.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
hows dcs cardio? if he goes toe to toe with cain on the regs it should be pretty good right

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Real question, is that within a ref's power to do? Is fighting with your hands open a foul itself that the ref can deduct points for, or can he only take a point when an eyepoke actually happens?

The second one, but under the rules the ref has discretion as to whether and when to penalize a fighter for fouls. Most of the time you will only see deductions when the fouls are flagrantly deliberate or if they keep happening in spite of repeated warnings. In Jones's case it would basically come down to a ref telling him that he and everybody else knows that Jon pokes the eye on purpose, so he's not getting any warnings, he gets a point deducted the first time he fouls. The ref could also set that up by verbally warning Jones to close his fingers and keep them out of DC's face even before the eyepoke happens, so that nobody can act surprised by the deduction. It's completely within the ref's power to do those things, it's just that almost all refs err way on the side of caution when it comes to fouls, because they don't want their actions to be a major factor in determining who wins or loses. And that's probably the right position most of the time. But in Jones case referee decisions--specifically Jones's awareness that they don't actually enforce the gouging rule--are already a big factor in how he fights and somebody should really address that before he legit blinds somebody.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Here's Barnett talking about Cormier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZgWfR9lps

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Actually, while Gus tiring was obviously a factor, it was midway through the fight that Jones started taking advantage of Gus always slipping to his right by timing him with head kicks and elbows, which is what led directly into the big elbow that turned the fight around.

Not only that but against Glover he abandoned the fight plan the moment in the first round (mainly fighting behind his reach and avoiding the clinch) and transitioned to a more clinch heavy .Or that was he said in the press conference.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

niethan posted:

hows dcs cardio? if he goes toe to toe with cain on the regs it should be pretty good right

He looked fine going five rounds with Barnett.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TMBWw1yNY

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Watching Jon jones vs Rampage in español and holy poo poo these guys are better than Goldie and Joe .

Also Rampage's corner is terrible, they are just screaming to him while telling him to "just fight"

lol Middle of the third round and the eyes rakes appear and in the end he just casually tosses Rampage over his shoulders.
He just hosed Rampage for an entire round.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

All this talk about verbal foul warnings etc: main event and title fighters get their verbal warnings before the fight even starts when the ref visits their locker rooms to explicitly go over the rules with them. There is no "ref has to warn them first!!!!!!!"; it's within their sole discretion to penalize a foul the first time it happens based on flagrance and severity.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lamadrid posted:

Also Rampage's corner is terrible, they are just screaming to him while telling him to "just fight"

The british guys?

e: Wolfslair, took me a few minutes

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 2, 2015

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
I haven't been following MMA for half as long as most of you guys but I've never been this excited to watch a fight. Please channel your ki energy to DC with me everyone.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

The principles of what Gus laid out aren't solely dependant on height and reach. Their assets are fundamentally different but Jones is the constant. Jones has been neutralised and Cormier and his camp are aware of how, and will adapt it to his skills etched are talking about a tiny heavyweight capable of bullying heavyweights, who trains with the best heavyweight in the world. I'm not saying Cormier is comparable to Rashad or rampage, because their careers have been so different that it would be impossible. But ask me 'could Rashad or rampage bully legit top 10 heavyweights and there would be a serious question mark there. DC is unknown, and powerful, that is all.

This was a good post. Thank you.

Btw some jokester made this picture. Childish i know.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

TheCool69 posted:

This was a good post. Thank you.

Btw some jokester made this picture. Childish i know.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

archerb posted:

I haven't been following MMA for half as long as most of you guys but I've never been this excited to watch a fight. Please channel your ki energy to DC with me everyone.

I'm going to do it because I'll feel guilty if I don't, but going forward can we please put how spirit bombs don't work irl in the op?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Youtube comments are rarely anything but garbage, yet one manages to capture a sentiment we share:

"I swear to God if Jones slips and bangs his head on the hot tub or DC develops renal failure today during weight cuts I am going to bang my dick against the toilet seat until I'm sterile."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lamadrid posted:

Rampage seems to be a product of terrible corners and now it's generational. On TUF I can only remember him yelling "elbows!" and every time his fighters got taken down he would just repeat "stand up" like it was possible to counteract gravity by force of will.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm going to do it because I'll feel guilty if I don't, but going forward can we please put how spirit bombs don't work irl in the op?

The Magic Is In Believing

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Magic Is In Believing

Oh I believed. I believed when Hunt fought Werdum, when Lyoto fought Jones and when Edgar fought Benson the second time, yet nothing besides a lack of circulation in my toes

My Goku, my Goku, why have you forsaken me?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I believed in Dan Henderson against Shogun and he responded to my resolve by re-configuring Shogun's face.

I will always believe in Dan Henderson.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It seems that Jon was able to take the strategy of kicking an outstretched hand and turn it against DC. Truly a p4p great fighter and PSP lurker.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I want to believe so badly. SO BADLY!

DC by Slam KO

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Jones looks extremely confident, while DC to me seems to be more frustrated. The only thing I think DC has is a strength/wrestling advantage. Jones has been able to bully just about everyone in the clinch including good wrestlers. I don't think he will be able to do that vs DC who has ragdolled heavyweights.

If jones does win this fight do you think he will consider the fight with cain if he is able to beat his main training partner? I know he has mentioned it in he past.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
he will actively campaign to not fight the winner of gus/rumble is what he'd do if he wins

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

he will actively campaign to not fight the winner of gus/rumble is what he'd do if he wins

I'm the best fighter in the world, I showed that against Daniel Cormier. But I don't think Alexander Gustafsson has proven he is ready to get back in the cage with me *fingers scar on forehead tentatively as he fights through a thousand yard stare to regain composure*

Instead, I think the clear number one contender is Rashad Evans *points to an empty chair covered in cobwebs with "Lil Nog Was Here" carved onto the back rest*

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Not calling Rampage stupid...(he's stupid) but do you really think expert corner advice and him would mix? You know getting him to just loving pay attention to anything, at all, is a huge challenge.

And subsequently he is an ex-champion and pretty legitimately great fighter at times.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What I'm saying here is I don't know what I'm talking about and I accept that.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

shizen posted:

Jones looks extremely confident, while DC to me seems to be more frustrated. The only thing I think DC has is a strength/wrestling advantage. Jones has been able to bully just about everyone in the clinch including good wrestlers. I don't think he will be able to do that vs DC who has ragdolled heavyweights.

If jones does win this fight do you think he will consider the fight with cain if he is able to beat his main training partner? I know he has mentioned it in he past.

He might say he takes it but that fight will never, ever happen (in my estimation). Jones gets weird about taking fights he might lose, so I think if Cain somehow got healthy enough to fight when Jones wasn't booked, Jones would drop out. Then Cain would fall apart again and so on.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/551114757667684352

:lol:

Wow the tweet embedding works? loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

A Cool Dude who definitely doesn't own a fedora

even tho it was an unconscious Machado its still ma boy love, who was the fucker

• Locked thread