Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

no loving way is bader getting a shot. they'd cancel an event before trying to legitimise that

Agreed with the first part, with the second, they'd call it "a great opportunity" for Bader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Agreed with the first part, with the second, they'd call it "a great opportunity" for Bader.

you could have just said 'joe soto'

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Just to get back to reality Gus was winning the 4th round and boxing the poo poo out of Jones until he got hit with the elbow, and said he wasn't gassed in the 5th but was actually still badly hurt.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

Just to get back to reality Gus was winning the 4th round and boxing the poo poo out of Jones until he got hit with the elbow, and said he wasn't gassed in the 5th but was actually still badly hurt.

i think the difference in his movement would counterpoint that claim. he was no frank edgar in the 4th or 5th

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If Gusstaffson has been improving in off-time as Jones has, it's entirely possible for him to win a rematch. I don't feel like the outcome is a foregone conclusion, the reach differential really is the majority share of Jones' success.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

If Jones beats the Gus/Rumble winner I think they'll push pretty hard for a fight with Cain (or potentially Werdum I guess) at HW. There would be zero remaining compelling matches at LHW and they could hype the poo poo out of Jones trying to become the first guy to hold two titles at once. Though they would probably be crossing their fingers that he doesn't actually become HW champ as well since that would be a giant headache.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i think the difference in his movement would counterpoint that claim. he was no frank edgar in the 4th or 5th

Yeah he was probably tired, but also people keep saying gus faded in the championship rounds when he was beating the poo poo out of JBJ for a good part of the fourth, until the elbow it was a pretty dominant round.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dangersim posted:

Yeah he was probably tired, but also people keep saying gus faded in the championship rounds when he was beating the poo poo out of JBJ for a good part of the fourth, until the elbow it was a pretty dominant round.

I thought at the time, and still think, that the elbow was the difference in the fight. I think Gus wins if he doesn't get hit with that.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

I thought at the time, and still think, that the elbow was the difference in the fight. I think Gus wins if he doesn't get hit with that.

I don't think thats a controversial opinion at all.

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
I think Gus will eventually be champion, after Jones is really old and blows out his knee a few times

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I think a big difference in the Jones/Gus rematch will be the wrestling. You know that Jones is going to continue to focus on his wrestling leading into the second fight, and a fight where Jones is landing takedowns will be a far tougher challenge for Gus.

It would be a mistake to overlook Jones' wrestling as a factor in the rematch after Jones just took Daniel loving Cormier down five times in a single fight.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i'd be surprised if cardio hasn't been gus's number 1 focus sice their last encounter. if gus only has 3 rounds of gas and 2 rounds of grit in him by the next time they fight, i'll be stunned

I don't think Gus lacks cardio. It's just that the difficulty with Jones is that he gives as good as he gets. The late elbow that he gave Gus kinda took the wind and momentum out of him. Kinda frustrating to watch as I thought Gus was winning.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think a big difference in the Jones/Gus rematch will be the wrestling. You know that Jones is going to continue to focus on his wrestling leading into the second fight, and a fight where Jones is landing takedowns will be a far tougher challenge for Gus.

It would be a mistake to overlook Jones' wrestling as a factor in the rematch after Jones just took Daniel loving Cormier down five times in a single fight.

Jones tried to take Gus down endlessly and couldn't and when he finally did he got right back up.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

what Jones needs to do to take down Gus is a world apart from how he took down DC. MUST BE THIS TALL TO SCOOP LIKE A BABEY

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jones got a quick little takedown off of a caught kick early but beyond that he couldn't take DC down until he went all Shane Carwin in the fourth and his body decided it was dead. I don't think he even attempted to defend those two takedowns. He was basically catatonic that round.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Dangersim posted:

Jones tried to take Gus down endlessly and couldn't and when he finally did he got right back up.

That was also sixteen months ago, plus however long it will take for the two of them to fight after Gus/Rumble. I don't think it's reasonable to say that Jones hasn't and won't continue to improve his wrestling game, especially after tonight's performance.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
So Alex Dufresne posted this on her Facebook page a few days before the fight:

Great work Alexis.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I probably missed it in this thread, but Dana said the PPV did more than 750k buys.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I probably missed it in this thread, but Dana said the PPV did more than 750k buys.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RacistGuidingLight posted:

If he agrees to change his nickname to Master so we can hear Bruce Buffer say Master Bader in his hype voice, I'm okay with it and the easy win for Jones.

No one mentioned that Bader managed to lose to :ortiz: either. It should be mandatory to mention that because it still blows my mind and it is really, really hilarious.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

colonel_korn posted:

If Jones beats the Gus/Rumble winner I think they'll push pretty hard for a fight with Cain (or potentially Werdum I guess) at HW. There would be zero remaining compelling matches at LHW and they could hype the poo poo out of Jones trying to become the first guy to hold two titles at once. Though they would probably be crossing their fingers that he doesn't actually become HW champ as well since that would be a giant headache.

Jones winning the HW title would be awesome for the UFC. He'd have to vacate the LHW title to go up and challenge for the HW title anyway as far as I can understand. If he does and wins then all of a sudden he has a whole new division to clean out before he decides to try out for the USA freestyle wrestling team at the 2020 Olympics.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Seltzer posted:

Cerrone "not entertaining or worth tracking his career" whips a midget James Franco's rear end to the crowds delight in the best fight of the night.

You think Jury is smaller than James Franco? Actors are normally titchy, lightweights are like average size.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Marching Powder posted:

no loving way is bader getting a shot. they'd cancel an event before trying to legitimise that

dan hardy vs gsp was a thing

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

ari shaffir and duncan trussell trolling ufc fans

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:tinfoil: I wouldn't be surprised if at this point Rumble got pulled from that fight for undisclosed ~reasons~ and was replaced by Random 205er #3 to be Sweden's Rocky so that they can give both Gus and Rumble title shots.

:tinfoil: I think an Anderson Silva shot at Jon Jones is more likely than a Ryan Bader shot at Jon Jones, because Bader does nothing other than take decisions over trashy 205ers, and he actually seems worse now than he did back when Jones beat him.

Also worth noting that, regardless of what it said on the scales, Rashad Evans hasn't had a win against a light heavyweight in like 3 years. Phil Davis would have to be ahead of him in line right now.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
only gif that matters

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

clear cheating by jones puts him in the league of gerard gordeau

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
that early celebration poo poo is really next level though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
also I'm glad Burkman watched young adults movie "Divergent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

niethan posted:

only gif that matters

Thanks, we're done here.

• Locked thread