Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the main event?
This poll is closed.
JBJ defends 60 28.17%
DC wins 102 47.89%
We the fans 51 23.94%
Total: 213 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My inclination is to think that DC will have at least one other strategy going in addition to the bumrushes. If Jones has shown anything, it's that he's good at adjusting to an opponent's strategy and finding a way to win, even if he's made uncomfortable. See: literally every fight in which an opponent had some success against Jones. DC will switch it up. My guess is that he'll also spend time on the outside, circling and trying to catch low round kicks, or trying to achieve reactive shots if Jones steps in, because that's really the only other thing I can imagine he can do with that reach differential.

That reach discrepancy may even be too great for DC to use the circle-slip-body right strategy that Serra used to open up GSP (8 inch reach disadvantage), but I also expect to see him at least try it. Jones is going to be concerned about the takedown enough that least be worth trying, and could score some aggression points if Jones just keeps backing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a conversation between DC and Jones's coach.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

I can't remember a single adjustment Jones has ever made in a fight where his opponent found success early on.

Against Vitor he got his arm tweaked but consistently applied pressure until Vitor's brain broke, per usual.
Against Chael he took him down and then realized he really was a better fighter than a middleweight non-champion.
Against Gus he only started finding success as Gus started slowing down.

He also adjusted to Machida's timing and angles.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shawn Jordan looks like he's gained weight.

And Tha Killa Gorilla is a sweet nickname.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just glancing at twitter, there's so much talk about predicting "The Buy Rate." I've never been able to figure out why MMA fans are so fixated on this and similar rating stats. Is it because the UFC came so close to the brink before the Zuffa purchase, and because Pride collapsed, so they like to occasionally check to make sure that their favourite sport isn't in danger of disappearing? Or is it some kind of stupid, misguided desire to see their favourite thing to be validated with "Mainstream Legitimacy" (presumably so they can say that they liked it before it was "mainstream")? Or is it just because they want to see that lots of other people are spending their money on the same dumb sport that they've chosen to spend their money on, hence confirmation that the dumb sport can't be really that dumb, because enough other people choose to spend their money on it, too, so the money wasn't wasted?

Seriously PSP, explain this to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I want UFC to sell lots of pay per views because I like the UFC and want them to do well

Ok, so in your case it's because you're a fan of the company as much as a fan of the sport? Or is it just that you want to keep an eye on the numbers to make sure that they're staying afloat so that your children's children can see fat guys punch each other at UFC 1000, perhaps from a concern that they could go out of business?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't really follow any other sports, so I'm not really aware of the discussion there. I just never was really able to figure out why people seem as interested in these numbers as they are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to call anyone stupid for being interested in buyrates. I was actually just trying to get someone who finds it interesting to explain why it gets as much discussion as it does.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also enjoyed how they were talking about Jordan's weight as if he was a good 261 lb.

e. uh oh breaking news. Hm. Counter-programming the Kovalev-Pascal fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

In the past I've been able to watch Ufc cards and still catch boxing main events

Yes, so have I, but I'm actually going to watch that boxing main event live.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

Stellar choice homie, that'll be fire

I am stoked.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sacramento? Is this a Team Alpha Male guy then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:tinfoil: I wouldn't be surprised if at this point Rumble got pulled from that fight for undisclosed ~reasons~ and was replaced by Random 205er #3 to be Sweden's Rocky so that they can give both Gus and Rumble title shots.

:tinfoil: I think an Anderson Silva shot at Jon Jones is more likely than a Ryan Bader shot at Jon Jones, because Bader does nothing other than take decisions over trashy 205ers, and he actually seems worse now than he did back when Jones beat him.

Also worth noting that, regardless of what it said on the scales, Rashad Evans hasn't had a win against a light heavyweight in like 3 years. Phil Davis would have to be ahead of him in line right now.

• Locked thread