Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lets discuss current world events like civilized people in this thread instead of having to deal with autistic shut-ins in D&D.

Stay on topic, don't shitpost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
gently caress yeah

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Lets discuss current world events like civilized people in this thread instead of having to deal with autistic shut-ins in D&D.

Stay on topic, don't shitpost!

poo poo poasting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hell yeah gigi did a thread

In current events, Soccer is still the gayest sport and nine bodies have been recovered from a plane crash.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/01/world/asia/airasia-disaster/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Master Bateman posted:

poo poo poasting.

MODS

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Current events: New year, I have a headache, waiting for deliverance by nuclear fire.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
a good start to the year, the top story on cnn is about a tranny teen.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Migrating some F-35 chat from the old thread

Booblord Zagats posted:

Russian fighters carry the same load and have had a good deal of success with it

IIRC Russian cannons fire significantly slower. 180rds at 3,000rpm and 150rds at 1,500rpm is a pretty significant difference. Maybe the software prevents the pilot from blasting his wad all it once but who the gently caress knows

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Please change to the name Current Events: Ignore Everything Courthouse Posts

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

holocaust bloopers posted:

Please change to the name Current Events: Ignore Everything Courthouse Posts

Hmm, well I don't know about that, but how about this.

Hey Courthouse, every time you post in this thread I will flip a coin. Heads I probate you, tails you live to post another day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bolow posted:

Migrating some F-35 chat from the old thread

IIRC Russian cannons fire significantly slower. 180rds at 3,000rpm and 150rds at 1,500rpm is a pretty significant difference. Maybe the software prevents the pilot from blasting his wad all it once but who the gently caress knows

It has since the 1970s at least. It's programmed for bursts based on number of rounds. I think the F-16 is limited to something like 100 rd bursts. Current fighters carry less than a second's worth of ammo more than the F-35. And the F-35's will be more powerful and probably more accurate.

I love how people raging about the gun thing bounce between "It's unnecessary and adds weight!" and "It doesn't carry enough ammo!" which would add more weight. Pick a side.

Here's my post from the end of the last thread:

Courthouse posted:

Intentionally delivering a gun that does not work? Well my apologies then, the system works.

The gun works fine. It's fired thousands of rounds on ground test platforms.

This aircraft IS NOT OPERATIONAL. It doesn't need a goddamned gun yet. It WONT be operational until AFTER that software upgrade. Who the gently caress cares if the gun works while they're still testing whether the drat plane will fly reliably and live up to expectations? This has been the plan for like a decade. The AF and Navy aren't planning to declare IOC until well after 3F is delivered. The Marines are the only idiots doing it sooner, and frankly that's dumb as gently caress. Get angry about that, not because the gun aspect is actually proceeding exactly as loving planned.

Edit: Wikipedia for the M61 says bursts are limited to 40 or 50, but there's no citation and I don't think that's accurate. I'm pretty sure I've actually watched longer strafe runs than that. That's .4 to .5 seconds.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 1, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hmm, well I don't know about that, but how about this.

Hey Courthouse, every time you post in this thread I will flip a coin. Heads I probate you, tails you live to post another day.

Best mod

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

who is courthouse

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

who is courthouse

Some motherfucker who's always trying to ice skate uphill.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
haha blade reference so fresh right?!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

who the gently caress needs an f35 anyway just build a shitload more a10s

in fact i'm pretty sure the entire airforce could consist of just a10s and sr71s and still be the best

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Godholio posted:

It has since the 1970s at least. It's programmed for bursts based on number of rounds. I think the F-16 is limited to something like 100 rd bursts. Current fighters carry less than a second's worth of ammo more than the F-35. And the F-35's will be more powerful and probably more accurate.

I love how people raging about the gun thing bounce between "It's unnecessary and adds weight!" and "It doesn't carry enough ammo!" which would add more weight. Pick a side.

It's more of a "it doesn't have enough ammo so it is not worth the weight" kind of thing. I mean I don't know much about current fighter ammo loads so maybe 180 rounds on a 3000rpm gun is enough. Maybe with the "x number of rounds per burst" function it stretches that out to a useful amount. It just doesn't seem to allow much room for error.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's less than a second's difference from other planes. With more power and probably higher accuracy.

Six missiles isn't a whole lot, either. Hell, it's less than Russian jets carry.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's a 50% ratio of miscarriage of mod justice. Not sure if you are cut out for the job.

Godholio posted:

This aircraft IS NOT OPERATIONAL. It doesn't need a goddamned gun yet. It WONT be operational until AFTER that software upgrade. Who the gently caress cares if the gun works while they're still testing whether the drat plane will fly reliably and live up to expectations? This has been the plan for like a decade. The AF and Navy aren't planning to declare IOC until well after 3F is delivered.

The Marines are the only idiots doing it sooner, and frankly that's dumb as gently caress. Get angry about that, not because the gun aspect is actually proceeding exactly as loving planned.

Last I heard it was 2016, but I guess that's only the marines then?

I don't really care about the gun or any of the other specifics. In this case it's that it's supposed to be doing close ground attack missions and the loving gun is an afterthought. The article was just another note in a long row of different mission capabilities not fitting together and the loving thing being worse of at all the other ones as well.

The frustration is at watching enormous resources be pissed away, as well as the opportunity costs. For me it's a politics and bureaucracy thing. The nuts and bolts of it I don't claim any expertise over, and if that leads me to say dumb poo poo then I do actually appreciate being corrected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Courthouse posted:

That's a 50% ratio of miscarriage of mod justice. Not sure if you are cut out for the job.

I don't really care about the gun or any of the other specifics. In this case it's that it's supposed to be doing close ground attack missions and the loving gun is an afterthought. The article was just another note in a long row of how different things not fitting together.

The frustration is at watching enormous resources be pissed away, as well as the opportunity costs. For me it's a politics and bureaucracy thing. The nuts and bolts of it I don't claim any expertise over, and if that leads me to say dumb poo poo then I do actually appreciate being corrected.

Well you can take comfort in knowing that guns mounted on fighter jets are pretty much an afterthought. This is no different.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I'm pretty tight with the only -C model zipper suited sun god who supposedly attempted a CAS strafing run in the first gulf war. Don't know if that part was true considering the cant on that loving auto cannon and the angles of attack required (And his favorite pastime of seeing how well he can bullshit me), but he legit has a mig kill star up in the 58ths bar, and also is the flight sim security manager now for the F-35 wing and tells me in terse "bro pilotese" that the F-35 is scary "for all the wrong goddamned reasons" whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

I honest to god can't ever tell if he's insinuating it's the worst thing to fly or the best. He's pretty drat cagey even though I'd at least seen the the capes briefs that were thrown around when they were looking for volunteers to stand up their pipeline in 06-07, for the life of me the only thing I remember from that day was the hot chick making us sign NDA's. She had legit DSL's and was DTF as all hell.

I kinda hope the F-35 evolves into something awesome after the next generation of defense shake ups. Or gets canxd and we start anew.

If we go on as is... :stare:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if we gave IS some ospreys i think they'd sort things out themselves

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Obama Africanus posted:

I kinda hope the F-35 evolves into something awesome after the next generation of defense shake ups. Or gets canxd and we start anew.

Well there's probably at least a tiny chance the acquisition process has been a massive Cold War style bluff and that when the thing becomes operational we'll all find out it can fly into space and deploy energy shields right

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Courthouse posted:

I don't really care about the gun or any of the other specifics. In this case it's that it's supposed to be doing close ground attack missions and the loving gun is an afterthought. The article was just another note in a long row of different mission capabilities not fitting together and the loving thing being worse of at all the other ones as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
All this talk about the F-35 reminds me of a previous storypost about an F-15 Canadian pilot slowly pursuing a Russian plane and then realising his plane is disintegrating as it slowly banks left.

"At least this money isn't going to the dirty poors!"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

:downsbravo:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Excellent! This is AUTHENTIC horns.aiff. Not that lovely thin-sounding awful one that was used in Family Guy...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Courthouse posted:

Yes, just the Marines. And they made that decision KNOWING the gun wouldn't be fully integrated. That's one of the ways they're being loving stupid.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is the Osprey still an occasionally-airborne deathmachine or did they manage to fix those issues?

Even if it was 100% reliable it would still look too scary to fly in.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Internet Wizard posted:

Is the Osprey still an occasionally-airborne deathmachine or did they manage to fix those issues?

My former boss's son flew tilt-a-whirls for the Corps for a while. He recently transferred to be a FAC, so take that for what it's worth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mario Cuomo is dead

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/01/us/mario-cuomo-dies-new-york-governor/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

God drat can they bury his loving son with him

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Lazy Reservist posted:

My former boss's son flew tilt-a-whirls for the Corps for a while. He recently transferred to be a FAC, so take that for what it's worth.

That he needed a B billet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

God drat can they bury his loving son with him

If Hillary strokes out there's the off chance that he'll be president.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Internet Wizard posted:

I flew in one a few times and it was pretty cool. They take off like a regular helo at first and then WHOOOOSH.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. gently caress no. That would be a nightmare. It's bad enough living in the same state as that shitheel. I'd take Hillary over him in a heartbeat.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol

Like Jeb isn't going to be the next president.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Genocide Tendency posted:

Lol

In 2000, there was a political cartoon which ran during the Republican primaries with two men sitting on a bench; one says, "I'm voting for Bush, because he handled the war in Iraq so well!" Second one says, "I'm voting for Dole, but I don't get why he keeps wearing a dress."

That joke now works again with only one word changed.

:suicide:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Lol

It would take:
1) Hillary not running
2) Democrats doing a massive gently caress up running into the elections
3) If Bernie Sanders run as an independent or worse as a democrat
4) We have pretty much the same voter turnout as the midterms
5) lol republicans getting their poo poo together lol

Then again im am too jaded to trust either political party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Because nothing says Republican Wave better than the smallest voter turnout in 72 years.

• Locked thread