Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

This year I am the booklord

What's this all about?

We make reading goals, then keep track of the books we read. Not much to it.
This isn't pyf so say some stuff about the books you read beyond listing them. Why is it rad? What did you hate? How is your grandmother?

So where's the challenge

In this crazy new world we live in you can make your own challenge. Want to try and read 200 books in a year? Go for it. I suggest you branch out a little from that though. Read all of Proust's In Search of Lost Time? You go girl. Read the "classics"? Work it girlfriend. Just declare what your challenge is and pop in every now and then to tell us how its going. I will also keep a general track of how people are doing in the first couple of posts and give you nice little graphics that say hey you reach a milestone or something.

However since its 2015, the year of the sheep, instead of being free spirits you should follow me and take on my challenge designed to get people out of their comfort zones and read a bunch of different things by doing each of the following:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.
2. Read a female author
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

There are no real rules so feel free to stretch and define what you put in these categories as you see fit.
Not only will you get the smug sense of self satisfaction by taking on and overcoming this challenge, I will figure out some sort of special reward for you at the end of the year.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Those taking my challenge

Lumius-50 books
Namirsolo-70 books,10 classics, plus Ulysses
Prolonged Shame-100 books,12 presidential biographies and 25 nonfiction books
Hantama-50 books
Quidnose-24 books
Radio!-52 books
Fellwenner-52 books
Erakko- 40 books
DannyTanner
Meander-60 books
Spadoink-60 books (I interpreted your post as taking part)
ltr-52 books
clq-40 books,3 pratchet,3 stephen king,five Norwegians with one published in 2015
knees of putty
Trek Junkie-50 books
High Warlord Zog-52 previously unread authors
saphron-30 books
Siminu-52 books
elbow-60 books
Cithen-42 books
Captain Vittles-24 books
true.spoon-52 books
Chamberk-52 books
The Berzerker-35 books
Bobby The Rookie-50 books
belt-52 books, every other one nonfiction
Popular Human
guppy-30 books
Guy A. Person-12 female,12 nonfiction,12 non-American/European books,Gravity's Rainbow
Dienes-52 books, :toxx:
Roydrowsy-100 books,10% rereads, 10% like 100 years old
Mahlertov Cocktail-45 books
tookie-60 books
Sodacan-26 books, a DFW collection/novel, a Dostoevsky,Camus' "The Plague", Gene Wolfes side stories
Corrode-40 books
SwimGood-25 books

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 8, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Misc. Challenges

Tsyni-26 Books, + trolling me with comics
apophenium-30 books,5 non-fiction, and at least 5 (unique) females
Aethersphere-30 books (not sure if taking my challenge or not will move if asked)
screenwritersblues-45 books
thespaceinvader-70 books
CestMoi-Harold Bloom's Western Canon
ZakAce-90 books and a smattering from op challenge
Aphra Bane-37 books, this challenge list
Damo-40 Books,8 Non-Fiction,4 Non-SciFi/Fantasy Fiction,4 Books by women
anilEhilated-20 non scifi,House of leaves
Albinator- Jonathan Yardley’s favorite books
oliven-45 books
Walh Hara-52 books,20% female authors,10 different nationalities, Blind owl
Talas-60 books,finish discworld
Blind Sally-books sitting around unread
nerdman42-18 books
Ex-Priest Tobin-35 books
rrrrrrrrrrrt-24 books
phuqueyoo- all murakami, and killing himself with the wheel of time
HIJK-15 books
Hocus Pocus-72 books, all of Herman Hesse, read more John Steinbeck,blind owl, more Kobo Abe,straya,Jane Austen and of mysteries
such hawks-26 books, branch out from scifi/nonfiction
Arrgytehpirate-30 books
Burning Rain-70 books, 2 from the rebellious and seperarist catalan language
Loten-30 books
Strong Mouse-50 books
Ursus Veritas-20 books, suicidal?
ToxicFrog-96 books,25% max on rereads,10% nonfiction
Whalley-52 books
thehomemaster-52 books
mrchinchin25-20 books,all of Neal Asher's Polity/AgentCormac/3rd thing books, finish Malazan
fritzov-35 books

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 8, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

hell, why not one more?

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I am going to aim for 50 books. I think I had a good mix of classics, contemporary, plays and different kinds of authors so I will take up the list you wrote up as part of the challenge.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I'm trying for 70 books this year. At least 10 of them will be classics. I'm taking a crack at Ulysses this year. I'll also attempt your list. I'm currently reading a book by a black woman, so that will take care of two of them!

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I'm aiming for 100 books again this year, with at least 12 presidential biographies and 25 nonfiction books (in addition to the prez bios). I'll also take on Stravinsky's challenge.

Here's my Goodreads page, if anyone wants to be friends: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8528817-squids
:)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Going to go for 26 again. Didn't hit it last year, but my time is now. As a challenge I'm going to shoot for at least half of them being comic books, in honour of Stravinksy being the book lord.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Sign me up for 30 books. I'm going to try to read at least 5 non-fiction, and at least 5 (unique) female authors.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I will try for 50 books this year. Read about 30 books in 2014 but I had to write a long thesis so I hope I will make my goal this year.
I will also go for Stravinskys challenge.
How are you going to do "14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)" ?

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
I failed super hard and only read 20 books last year. Sad times.

Still, I'm hoping to do 30 this year!

I really like the idea of a challenge. How will it work? Like, I am reading 30 books, so of those 30 books, one has to be by a female author, one has to be a collection of poetry, etc.? Or would it be that I would read 30 books, and then extra books on top of that?

If you're looking for some ideas, maybe a piece of YA Fiction, a memoir, a 'new age' book, something written by another goon, or read books from some "100 books you must read before you die" list that's undoubtedly out there somewhere.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Going for 45 this year, since the past two have been pretty drat easy at 30.

I know that I'm friends with most of you goons, but here's my goodreads account anyway.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5153430-jarrett

Aethersphere posted:

You didn't fail. 20 books is more than the average person reads in an year.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Going for 24 this year - I figure I can handle two books a month ...hopefully. :\

I'm also going to follow the challenges in the OP because that sounds super fun and I want to read outside of my comfort zone for sure!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My aim is 70. As usual I'll try to come out of my wheelhouse a little more, but probably not succeed.

1: Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson - in progress.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Going for 52, as usual, but I'll do the Stravinsky Challenge™ too since it seems easy enough. Booklord, do you have any suggestions for books in the various categories? Especially the post-modern, absurdist, and hate/love categories.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm not going to go for any specific number of books but I'm going to try and read mostly books from Harold Bloom's Western Canon http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/theocraticcanon.html, particularly the earlier stuff in the first two categories that I haven't read much of.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Seeing as I managed to read 90 books last year, I'll start with that number. I'll probably try to widen my scope of reading as well - I'll try to read some more classics (e.g. The Count of Monte Cristo, Effie Briest, Anna Karenina).

I've already read one female author (Robin Hobb), specifically the first book in her Liveships trilogy, 'Ship of Magic'. The idea of sentient ships is interesting, and fantasy books generally don't get nautical very often. 4/5 stars.

Other parts of Stravinsky's challenge I will probably cover: Non-white author (does Alexandre Dumas count? Because he had African ancestry); something dealing with space; something published recently. I could also add to that by reading a collection of short stories, and I have plenty of books at home which need to be read at some point.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

I met my goal of 45 last year but it was a bit of a desperate stretch towards the end, so this year I'm scaling back to 37. It seems I managed to meet most of Stravinksy's challenge criteria last year so I'm not doing too bad diversity-wise. I'm considering doing this challenge list that I mentioned in the last thread. Which reminds me how absurd but also kind of hilarious it is that reading books by women is apparently something a lot of people have to go out of their way to do. I guess it makes for a nice, easy warm-up hurdle in terms of an overall reading challenge, but still.

my goodreads. I use it a fair bit. Feel free to add me.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm aiming for 52 books, which I doubt will be a problem normally, but I'm going to be going through a lot of the bigger books/series that have been in my to read pile for years now. I like your list, Stravinsky, and will tackle it as well. If someone wants to give me a Wildcard read, let me know.This is my GR profile.

Radio! posted:

Booklord, do you have any suggestions for books in the various categories? Especially the post-modern, absurdist, and hate/love categories.

I'm not the Booklord, but for post-modern give William Gaddis a try. There's a discussion here.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 2, 2015

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Going for 40 books and the booklord's challenge.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

What about short stories, my Booklord?

e: school is owning me so I'll just try to enjoy reading and work on the Booklord's challenge...

gr

DannyTanner fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 5, 2015

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am in for 100 books again.

I think my personal goals are as follows:
10 Percent of my reads this year will be re-reads. I buy and hold on to so many books and I tell myself I am going to re-read things, but seldom do. Now is my chance to change that.
10 Percent of my reads will be "old". I'm aiming for books over 100 years old, but I will probably count something 80 or 90 years old. (I'll be tapping into a lot of public domain stuff for this I figure)

In the meantime, I plan on being mindful of reading books by women, and non-fiction, but I'm not building a goal off of it at this time.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I'm in - down for 60 books this year (cutting back slightly from my usual 70), and will do the Booklord's Challenge.

Today was a day off so I sat down and read Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's a collection of five short stories themed around music and musicians, and was rather pleasant to read (and one of the stories was rather funny). If you want to try a collection of short stories, it's worth a read. He's also a non-white author, but I've been reading a lot of Ishiguro recently so might try something a bit different for that goal.

The next two books I have ready to read are The Shallows by Nicholas Carr, which appears to be about how the internet is rewiring people's brains, and The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe, which is about astronauts!

My goodreads page is here https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8416512

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Aethersphere posted:

Still, I'm hoping to do 30 this year!

I really like the idea of a challenge. How will it work? Like, I am reading 30 books, so of those 30 books, one has to be by a female author, one has to be a collection of poetry, etc.? Or would it be that I would read 30 books, and then extra books on top of that?

If you're looking for some ideas, maybe a piece of YA Fiction, a memoir, a 'new age' book, something written by another goon, or read books from some "100 books you must read before you die" list that's undoubtedly out there somewhere.

It sounds like the general intent of the challenge is to go outside of your comfort zone and try new things, so as long as you're doing something along those lines then you're gold.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I've never done this before, so I have no idea how many books I can read in a year.

Let's say I'm in for.... 40. Shouldn't be too hard since I'm planning on reading a lot of Discworld this year, and that's a good 30 easy reads I have left right there. I won't read all 30, but that's a lot of easy reads to pad out my total so 40 should be doable. My speed at reading isn't really what holds me back from finishing a ton of books a year, it's usually my indecisive nature at picking what the heck I'm going to read next. I'm really bad at that, I can never decide easily. The hours I've spent, wasted, staring at my bookshelf trying to decide what to read when I have so much cool stuff... it's sad. Luckily, I have the Discworld series to fall back on this year when I get into that situation. I can always just read a Discworld when I'm indecisive.

However, to make it more interesting I will set some sub goals. Say, 8 Non-fiction books, 4 non-sci fi/fantasy fiction, and 4 books by women. I know that sounds pathetic as hell, but in my defense I don't really own a ton of books by women so 4 will be a realistic goal there. It's 4 more books by woman than I probably would have read otherwise, and that's the whole point, right? I know my sub challenges aren't that much, but this is mostly about just sheer number of books I can get myself to read. If I can read a book a week for the year, any book, I'll be happy. The extra goals are just icing on the cake.

So yeah:

40 Books

Meager sub goals:
8 Non-Fiction
4 Non sci-fi/fantasy fiction
4 Books by women

Good luck you guys, I hope 2015 is a great year of reading, learning, and entertainment for you all.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Damo posted:

Discworld

You're in for a treat... I think some of my happiest hours of reading have been reading Discworld books for the first time.

Regarding the indecisiveness, I found that my goodreads account has helped immensely in keeping track of books I've come across and would like to read. Seeing what other goons have reviewed is a good way of getting ideas. It also has a recommendations tool, but personally it's never had any great suggestions for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I do read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so let's say... 20 non-SF books? As a sub-challenge, I'm going to start with what's been sitting on my shelf for about a year, House of Leaves. It gets a lot of flak around here so I'm genuinely curious; wanted to start it up about a million times but never really got to it.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

The Washington Post's chief book reviewer retired about a month ago, and in his last column listed some of his all-time favourites. The list is at http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...3340_story.html
I haven't always agreed with him on what's a good book, but he was generally a pretty solid critic, so I'm going to try and work my way through his list in 2015, loosely alternating fiction and non-fiction. It's 30 books, which is more than I usually manage, so we'll see how I do.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I met my goal of 40 books last year, so I'm aiming for 45. I don't want to set specific sub goals but I do want to try putting some non-English and/or non-fantasy/sci-fi books in there.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I do read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so let's say... 20 non-SF books? As a sub-challenge, I'm going to start with what's been sitting on my shelf for about a year, House of Leaves. It gets a lot of flak around here so I'm genuinely curious; wanted to start it up about a million times but never really got to it.

Yeah, it's fairly divisive, although I think the general consensus amongst readers is that the Navidson Record parts are at least pretty entertaining. I keep wanting to re-read the book but I'm not sure I can technically call it a proper re-read if I ignore everything else involving Johnny Truant. Ugh, Johnny Truant :psypop:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I'm shooting for 60 again this year. My regular reading range already hits on a lot of Stravinsky's list, and my reading list for last year includes some great suggestions for folks looking for non-white and/or female authors, as well as the plays of Tomson Highway, which I highly recommend.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Goals:

- 52 books again
- once again at least 20% of the books should be from female authors
- at least 10 different nationalities (no idea how difficult/easy this one is)
- The Blind Owl if I can find it in the library

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I did 86 last year, but since I'm starting a master's degree I am going to aim for 60 books and see how that goes.

As an addendum, I'm going to finish the Discworld novels this year. Only 20 to go...

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

I'm in for 52 again this year and might as well do Stravinsky's challenge mode. I do hope we get examples of some of the categories.

ltr fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 2, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stravinsky posted:

This year I am the booklord challenge

You should have done this a year ago rather than bitching about what people read. Glad you're doing it now, though.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Radio! posted:

Going for 52, as usual, but I'll do the Stravinsky Challenge™ too since it seems easy enough. Booklord, do you have any suggestions for books in the various categories? Especially the post-modern, absurdist, and hate/love categories.

Good post modern books: Something by Thomas Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow is hard to read but one of the best books ever written, Mason & Dixon is easier + very good, Crying of Lot 49 isn't 1000 pages long and some people like it but I thought it was bad.), J R (haven't read but everyone loves it, also difficult to read), White Noise (same as J R), If on a winter's night a traveller (reads very nicely, quite short, not as good as the others but still very good), Nabokov stuff (Pale Fire is really great)

Good absurdist books: I'm not really sure about these but La Peste is good. Stuff by Samuel Beckett? I've never really been sure of the difference between absurdist and just existential literature so find something someone else calls absurdist and good and read that. Dostoeyevsky? IDK. I've heard people call My Idea of Fun by WIll Self absurdist and it's a pretty good book.

Good books about love/hate: What we talk about when we talk about love (lovely short stories about love + rural America, v good, v sparse style which makes it a nice read), Lolita (classic AMerican love story), this category is really quite broad because lots of things are about this so I'm going to recommend two books I really love, Invisible Cities (love of a place?? you should read it anyway it's beautiful) and Moscow to the End of the Line (also called Moscow - Petushki, about a man who is getting a train to see his son and he gets very drunk on the train and starts talking to people about his life and problems)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I should say, I'm mostly going to aim for this:

16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time

But there are dozens of them sitting on my desk waiting for a long time, and they are an assortment of philosophy, history, and literature.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think I'll try for 18 books. I'll probably have a lot of stuff going on this year, so 18 seems like an alright number to try for. Nothing impressive, but a start.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Aiming for 35; I'll knock this number up further if I can find a way out of my crappy 70-hour-a-week job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Good post modern books: Something by Thomas Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow is hard to read but one of the best books ever written, Mason & Dixon is easier + very good, Crying of Lot 49 isn't 1000 pages long and some people like it but I thought it was bad.), J R (haven't read but everyone loves it, also difficult to read), White Noise (same as J R), If on a winter's night a traveller (reads very nicely, quite short, not as good as the others but still very good), Nabokov stuff (Pale Fire is really great)

Good absurdist books: I'm not really sure about these but La Peste is good. Stuff by Samuel Beckett? I've never really been sure of the difference between absurdist and just existential literature so find something someone else calls absurdist and good and read that. Dostoeyevsky? IDK. I've heard people call My Idea of Fun by WIll Self absurdist and it's a pretty good book.

Good books about love/hate: What we talk about when we talk about love (lovely short stories about love + rural America, v good, v sparse style which makes it a nice read), Lolita (classic AMerican love story), this category is really quite broad because lots of things are about this so I'm going to recommend two books I really love, Invisible Cities (love of a place?? you should read it anyway it's beautiful) and Moscow to the End of the Line (also called Moscow - Petushki, about a man who is getting a train to see his son and he gets very drunk on the train and starts talking to people about his life and problems)

For post-modern books: Vonnegut is great and easy to read even for somebody unfamiliar with the genre.

For absurdist books: I'm pretty sure Catch-22 counts as one (and if not, it should), but the classical and most obvious example of the genre is probably Kafka.

• Locked thread