Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang, it was a busier year than I predicted, for sure. In no particular order:

Weatherby Orion: Bought this from a desperate coworker mainly because he was in a financial pinch and I was in a position to help out; I didn't get a screaming deal on it but I was happy with the price I paid. I was either going to get into skeet this year or sell the thing back off. Neither happened. I didn't have time for skeet, but I shot the thing once just to try it out and I fell in love with it. Plus, it's got the Joe Biden Seal of Approval(tm)!

Blackthorne "Sniper AR": I was building this setup for a buddy of mine in return for a huge favor he did me; it was surprisingly accurate considering the unknown provenance of the barrel and such. He ended up building a nearly identical setup on his own without telling me, and I ended up selling this rig to another friend, and getting the first guy a nice scope instead.

SIG 556 SWAT: Liked this one so much, I sold my regular 556.

Glock 35 (4th gen): Saw such a screaming deal for this gun that I just had to get it, even though I already had a 3rd-gen 35. Ended up liking the 4th-gen gun so much that I sold off my 3rd gen.

Ruger LCR: Replaced the J-frame Smith I had that I wasn't fond of. I like the LCR a lot more.

Ruger LC9: Bought this to replace the SIG P290 that I sold off. Not a bad gun, very concealable, but I didn't like how snappy it was with carry ammo and I didn't care for the trigger. Ended up trading it for a Kahr CW9.

Kahr CW9: See above. Liked it better than the LC9 from a shootability standpoint, but it didn't run 100% with my chosen carry ammo. I ended up selling it and getting a S&W Shield (No regrets, Yolo, etc.).

S&W Shield 9mm: See above. Went from P290 -> LC9 -> CW9 -> Shield. I'm super happy with the Shield.

S&W Model 19 (2.5-inch): This has been on my list for along time, and I found a guy who wanted a Glock bad enough that he traded me the 19 for my po-surp G35. Win-win.

HK P2000 9mm

HK VP9

Uberti Cattleman .45LC

S&W Model 24 Thunder Ranch .45 ACP

CMP Garand

GWACS CAV15 MkII lower (used for a "beater" M4 build)

Aero Precision lower (used for an A2 build)

Three Glock 17s: a 3rd-gen worked over by IGFS, a 3rd-gen worked over by the previous owner, and an unmolested 2nd-gen.

Tax Stamp #1, Anderson Arms AR lower

Tax Stamp #2, IMI Uzi

Plus I "bought" four suppressors right at the end of the year, even though it's obviously going to be a while before I actually get to take them home.

Edit: I just remembered that my recently purchased TacSol Pac-Lite made it in under the wire as well.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Hmm.

Colt King Super Match Target Woodsman .22lr
Colt King Sight/Roper Camp Perry .22lr
Colt 1911 .45acp
Colt 1905 .45acp
Miroku Liberty Chief .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Volcanic / Lever Action .31 Rocket Ball
Smith & Wesson .32 Safety Hammerless 2nd Model .32 S&W
Smith & Wesson Model of 1896 .32 S&W Long
Smith & Wesson 22/32 Target .22lr
Smith & Wesson .455 Triple Lock .455mk2
Smith & Wesson Model of 1902 USN Contract .38 Long Colt
Smith & Wesson K-22 Model 17 .22lr
Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum
Smith & Wesson Unknown M&P conversion .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Pre Model 10 .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Pre-war M&P Snub .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 - Modified .45acp
Smith & Wesson .38/44 Heavy Duty .38 Special
Smith & Wesson 22/32 Target / Virtual Kit Gun .22lr
Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Magnum
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 - Modified .45acp
Smith & Wesson Triple Lock .44 Special
Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Magnum
Smith & Wesson M&P King Conversion .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Baby Chief's Special .38 Special
Daisy LG Mod Feinwerkbau 300s 0.177
Winchester 9422 .22lr

Only 22.

Feels like it was more then that. I guess the thing is that the guns averaged out to be a whole hell of a lot more money this year, mostly due to that rocket ball firing contraption. In all the years I have been on TFR this year was a banner year for me in that I basically bought nothing but guns all year. No home improvements, no new car, no big expenditures in pretty much any way other then guns.

Next year I plan on shifting things again so it's much fewer, but much better guns. I've filled out nearly ever "standard" S&W that I want to own now with the addition of the model 57s (need a 58 still, but that can happen next year easily enough). One more baby Chief and I'm happy with J-Frames.

Of course, I say that, and the lawsuit may take off the restriction on gun shows and kick them into high gear before they get banned again for some reason and I may end up with a huge pile of cheap gun show deal guns, who knows.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

I had three purchases in 2014;
A Model 19-3, there are actually two purchases in this shot. The revolver and the Grand Blue grips;

and a Sig C3;

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Outside Dawg posted:

I had three purchases in 2014;
A Model 19-3, there are actually two purchases in this shot. The revolver and the Grand Blue grips;

Do they happen to smell amazing by any chance?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

This was a good year for me as far as guns go, if somewhat lower-key than say Sixgun's or Beetle's acquisitions. I got a three-screw Single Six for my birthday, was given a 10/22 and a H&R 922 in the fall, and then a little while ago I bought my first gun myself, a S&W M&P9C. Doesn't seem like much, but I went from one gun to 5 in about 6 months all told. I also got a Lee hand reloading press, so I want to start rolling my own this year.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I bought an FN Light 12 auto 5 from my girlfriend's dad because it was sitting in their closet and hadn't been shot in many years. I haven't shot it yet either, but to be fair I think I only went to the range twice to shoot in 2014. The other 4 times were to RSO.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Do they happen to smell amazing by any chance?

Yes they do, it's like a flashback to when I was there in my youth.

(qe)They feel amazing as well.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

My year was completely insignificant compared to some of these, drat.

Traded for a PTR-91:

Which I sold to fund a Daewoo AR-100:

The Daewoo was one of my dream guns though so hey, good year for me.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!

picked up a Glock 34 with light and 2x Glock 26's and a few 33rd mags.

shankerz fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 4, 2015

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ayuuupppppp. Bought a house and changed jobs twice so gun-wise, nothing at all

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

I bought all these pieces and I put them together

Also a G4 Glock 26!

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Uncle Caveman posted:

Ayuuupppppp. Bought a house and changed jobs twice so gun-wise, nothing at all

at least we are fiscally responsible

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Just before the end of the year I supplied my 91/30: 40 rounds of 7.62x54 Russian surplus, five dummy rounds made from emptied surplus rounds, and 8 clips.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

at least we are fiscally responsible
Totally! tt

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

2014 was a fun year:

CZ 75B .40 S&W
Henry Golden Boy .22
Rossi R92 24" Octagon Barrel .44 Magnum
Browning A5 Stalker 12 Gauge
HK USPc .40 S&W

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

A relatively tame year for me.
Multicam 10/22 with tech sights
LR308 build I am in love with
S&W MP9c new carry gun

2015 should be a great gun year for me. I already have a CZ Evo 3, CZ tactical sport, and a Versamax on order and a wet tumbling setup on its way.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

All this except the Beretta and Mosin. The Browning .22 was a gift though, and the Mauser was sold in October.

Hoping for some Swiss action this year when I can get employed again.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I bought a Beretta CX4 in December.

It's just so much fun to shoot. I can't put my finger on why. Also, it converts to a left-handed configuration, which is fantastic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mortabis posted:

I bought a Beretta CX4 in December.

It's just so much fun to shoot. I can't put my finger on why. Also, it converts to a left-handed configuration, which is fantastic.

God those guns are such fun to shoot. They're the modern day, spiritual brothers of the M1 carbine as far as I'm concerned. Just one of those really well designed guns that handles well and shoots great and is so much more than the sum of its parts or capabilities.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

A large part of the gun budget went to building a new computer, so I only made one purchase. Still, it's a good argument for attending gun shows.
It was such a good price that I snatched it up before I barely knew what I had.

With a new set of grips and it's lanyard ring restored:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

CAI 1887 Clone
Rossi R92 .357
Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm
Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm
Ruger 77/22
Ruger Standard
Ruger 10/22 Contest rifle (present for fiance)

Gun related
Shot an Appleseed, got my patch, finally got fiance interested shooting
Rebarreled my borked 10-6
Started reloading (Have done about 6000 rounds of .38/357 on a lee handpress, got a lee progressive for christmas)
Started mediocre youtube channel to raise ammo money and one day get into shot show

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Dec 29th, 2014. I bought myself the ability to do an instant nics check and not have to go through a live operator.

45 minutes later

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

king of the bongo posted:

Dec 29th, 2014. I bought myself the ability to do an instant nics check and not have to go through a live operator.

45 minutes later

Sorry bro, been there done with that

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

45 minutes later

Welcome and congratulations on citizenship!

Ditch that bud light though, we have plenty of great beer now. No sense in drinking that stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

45 minutes later

drat, congrats.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Oh poo poo was that citizenship and not joining the military? Can't read.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Welcome to America. Your allotted celebration period is. 45. minutes.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Thank you.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Ditch that bud light though, we have plenty of great beer now. No sense in drinking that stuff.
It's the first time I've had one actually. I've mostly lived in PA so the default has always been yuengling as it is always an option.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Cyrano4747 posted:

God those guns are such fun to shoot. They're the modern day, spiritual brothers of the M1 carbine as far as I'm concerned. Just one of those really well designed guns that handles well and shoots great and is so much more than the sum of its parts or capabilities.

They work even better in space!

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

A large part of the gun budget went to building a new computer, so I only made one purchase. Still, it's a good argument for attending gun shows.
It was such a good price that I snatched it up before I barely knew what I had.

With a new set of grips and it's lanyard ring restored:

That's cool, how often do you find them with a Navy stamp?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Not a drat thing gun wise. My years budget was eaten up with wage stagnation (until December), 2 weeks of international travel and a new cross bike. It was the first year since graduating college that I didn't buy at least 2 guns.

I did spend a small fortune on technical hunting clothing and took a hunting trip out west to use my existing guns.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Got married and bought a house, so, you know, didn't buy any guns =/

I did, however, start shooting USPSA, so that's nice.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

dakana posted:

How do you like it? My range has started offering USPSA multigun and I wanna go do the safety certification.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

dakana posted:

NickBlasta posted:

How do you like it? My range has started offering USPSA multigun and I wanna go do the safety certification.

Gun games rule. Multigun might be a lot to digest at once - maybe see if they have a handgun-only match or something to try first. Shooting USPSA for the first time ~5 years ago basically changed my entire interest in firearms and I became much more interested in shooting than firearms themselves. I also definitely became a much better pistol shot, which is a pretty satisfying improvement to have made. I suck with rifles and shotguns tho - I imagine it would be hard to simultaneously improve on all 3 platforms without a ton of time/money to practice...

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

dakana posted:

NickBlasta posted:

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Gun games rule. Multigun might be a lot to digest at once - maybe see if they have a handgun-only match or something to try first. Shooting USPSA for the first time ~5 years ago basically changed my entire interest in firearms and I became much more interested in shooting than firearms themselves. I also definitely became a much better pistol shot, which is a pretty satisfying improvement to have made. I suck with rifles and shotguns tho - I imagine it would be hard to simultaneously improve on all 3 platforms without a ton of time/money to practice...

Hell yeah. Also it's possible to start with multigun however it's generally much easier to start with handgun-only stuff first. Not because of equipment cost, but rather there is quite a bit going on (remember all the targets + don't do anything stupid), but because speed shooting a handgun translates directly to speed shooting a rifle and a shotgun.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

I've been slowly amassing a set of guns to get back into USPSA, although I've mostly just been using that as an excuse since my interest is still largely in firearms and less in the shooting of them. Still though, I now have 2x Production guns and 2x Limited guns and holsters for like half of them. It's so hard to budget for more mags and a new belt and poo poo though when all of that will eat deep into what I can afford to spend on a new gun though!

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

thermobollocks posted:

Hell yeah. Also it's possible to start with multigun however it's generally much easier to start with handgun-only stuff first. Not because of equipment cost, but rather there is quite a bit going on (remember all the targets + don't do anything stupid), but because speed shooting a handgun translates directly to speed shooting a rifle and a shotgun.

Oh yes, I agree. The few "gun games" I've done on an informal basis I found to be really exciting. There's like barely any 3-gun that goes on in this state so having it start up locally has really got me interested. They do regular handgun matches so I could totally start there first.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

45 minutes later

Congrats! I'm going to imagine they issued the burger, beer and hat to everyone who foreswore all foreign princes and potentates that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

NickBlasta posted:

It's a blast. I've done two matches informally and really enjoyed both of them -- even when I shot with some guys who have super raced-out kits, it was laid-back and very encouragement-centric rather than anything ego-stoking, GO LOUD DROP THE TANGOS, etc. I never felt unsafe, either. It scales very well -- I bought a very basic Blade-Tech OWB holster and mag carrier for like $40 on Amazon, and shot with my stock Glock 19. I shot Limited, though honestly I probably could've done Production. I think the only thing I would've needed to do is only load 10 rounds / magazine. I never felt like my equipment was holding me back or anything. A holster with a faster draw or a better-tuned gun really wasn't going to make a practical difference for me. Trigger time and practice, though, definitely will.

From a more philosophical standpoint, it gives you something to do with your shooting that's fun but at the same time somewhat practical. You're shooting under constraints, juggling some things in your head, trying to balance speed with accuracy, etc. At the same time, it's kind of nice to be able to do something that is fun and competitive with shooting that isn't your standard range visit to stay proficient in case you have that nightmare scenario where you have to use a gun in defense. You stay proficient and work on good fundamentals, but at the same time you can have fun, be competitive, and run around with your gun(s) in a safe way with other people.

• Locked thread