Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Bat posted:

I don't understand your reasoning?

Well, for one thing,

quote:

> You passed a long while with Rise.

quote:

Kujikawa Rise
Date of Birth June 1, 1995
Age 15

EDIT:

quote:

Edit:
Shouldn't that be Persona 3 Portable, a game where you can be a pedophile with a young boy?

Oh, I see. You're one of those kind of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Effectronica posted:

Well, for one thing,

EDIT:

Oh, I see. You're one of those kind of people.

What kind of people exactly?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Bat posted:

What kind of people exactly?

Mmm... How can I say this? Uh, pedantic.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Mmm... How can I say this? Uh, pedantic.

What's pedantic about what I said? Is it because the female protagonist in non-canon?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Bat posted:

What's pedantic about what I said? Is it because the female protagonist in non-canon?

:yikes:

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I was hoping that boys wouldnt exist in this show but yuri beggars cant be choosers i guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, that was definitely, uh, an Ikuhara show. :stare:

The Japanese -> German -> English subs are just about watch able if you can't be bothered waiting for Funimation to get its act together.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm waiting till Wednesday.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

beaner69 posted:

I was hoping that boys wouldnt exist in this show but yuri beggars cant be choosers i guess.

same

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

I'm waiting till Wednesday.

Me too, but i'm grumpy about it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy gently caress that was Ikuhara as hell. Also the young virgin girl mcguffin seems to have died by bear already, and I am confused.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At the moment I'm betting that the people getting 'eaten' aren't actually dead but who the hell knows. Probably nothing is actually real anyway.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 6, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

beaner69 posted:

Those aren't boys, they are the figurative manifestation of patriarchy.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

its amazing how you got called out so badly that you don't even have a proper response to his brutal logic bomb he dropped on your retarded rear end

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like that one BGM that goes "KUMA SHOCK"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Captain Failcon posted:

its amazing how you got called out so badly that you don't even have a proper response to his brutal logic bomb he dropped on your retarded rear end

Excellent insight, Captain.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Having only seen this and like the first 4 pages of the KlK thread I have a question: Is every bad anime thread here just sad nerds ineffectively trying to burn one another? Because Captain Failcon you're trying way too hard in a thread about lesbian murder bears.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You know, ignoring the obvious thing to argue about for a second, this was kind of a dull first episode. It feels like a parody of Ikuhara, with all the flashing lights and roses and lesbians but nothing to ground it. The characters have very little personality and motivations that are either simple or too abstract to make sense of / relate to yet, and the visuals border on self-plagiarism. It just doesn't feel like there's anything new here, and it doesn't even live up to the energy and charm of the things it's imitating.

Granted one episode isn't a lot to judge by, but I might just wait till the end of the season and wait to see what other people think.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Having only seen this and like the first 4 pages of the KlK thread I have a question: Is every bad anime thread here just sad nerds ineffectively trying to burn one another? Because Captain Failcon you're trying way too hard in a thread about lesbian murder bears.

I just pretend it's all banter and everyone here actually loves each other very much, and suddenly the thread seems like fun and games.

@ Catfish: Utena and Penguindrum at least started out grounded somewhat in reality. Yurikuma is starting out with the abstract in full swing, and the first episode just leaves me grasping for something to comprehend.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 6, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, ignoring the obvious thing to argue about for a second, this was kind of a dull first episode. It feels like a parody of Ikuhara, with all the flashing lights and roses and lesbians but nothing to ground it. The characters have very little personality and motivations that are either simple or too abstract to make sense of / relate to yet, and the visuals border on self-plagiarism. It just doesn't feel like there's anything new here, and it doesn't even live up to the personality of the things its imitating.

Granted one episode isn't a lot to judge by, but I might just wait till the end of the season and wait to see what other people think.
i feel like utena was the one good thing ikuhara was ever going to do and now he's just a man with nothing but obvious symbolism and a weird view of lesbianism to his name

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just don't know why it's ok and good to get horny to this but KLK is problematic.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just don't know why it's ok and good to get horny to this but KLK is problematic.

Is that an issue worth the discussion in the first place? Whether or not someone is attracted to anime teenagers with nipple-less breasts, I hardly think the fanservice angle is even relevant for this show. If we wrote off every anime that had pin-up posters featured in Megami, Nyantype, etc., we'd be out of shows to watch.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

i feel like utena was the one good thing ikuhara was ever going to do and now he's just a man with nothing but obvious symbolism and a weird view of lesbianism to his name

Penguin drum and Sailor Moon both great actually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, ignoring the obvious thing to argue about for a second, this was kind of a dull first episode. It feels like a parody of Ikuhara, with all the flashing lights and roses and lesbians but nothing to ground it. The characters have very little personality and motivations that are either simple or too abstract to make sense of / relate to yet, and the visuals border on self-plagiarism. It just doesn't feel like there's anything new here, and it doesn't even live up to the energy and charm of the things it's imitating.

I liked the episode on the whole but, yeah it kind of lacks the energy of the first episode of Utena or Penguindrum. Even the courtroom scene which is probably going to be the big repeated sequence seemed subdued.

Endorph posted:

Penguindrum was good as well.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So far much less rape, other than that :shrug:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Flower posted:

Is that an issue worth the discussion in the first place? Whether or not someone is attracted to anime teenagers with nipple-less breasts, I hardly think the fanservice angle is even relevant for this show. If we wrote off every anime that had pin-up posters featured in Megami, Nyantype, etc., we'd be out of shows to watch.

There's an interesting discussion about how feminized sexuality like stock yuri series is considered far less shameful than masculinized sexuality (like KLK), but this isn't the thread, or, frankly, the forum to do it in.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

coathat posted:

Penguin drum and Sailor Moon both great actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Space Flower posted:

I hardly think the fanservice angle is even relevant for this show.

It's a fanservice show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

So far much less rape, other than that :shrug:
what do you think the bear mauling is a metaphor for

ask yourself honestly

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

but this isn't the thread, or, frankly, the forum to do it in.

But this is the anime forum, so it's perfectly fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

ask yourself honestly

I said less.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

ask yourself honestly

Israel's treatment of Palestinians. Next!

Come on Endorph stop soft balling these in, man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DrPaper posted:

But this is the anime forum, so it's perfectly fine.

Okay, you first.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

ask yourself honestly

Are they not literally mauling people in reference to Sankebetsu? I figured the eating and 'eating' were two different things.

Also: ? ? ?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Okay, you first.

Outside of otaku, stock yuri is considered MORE shameful, because not only is it blatantly dehumanizing an entire sexuality of people for fetishization, people use it as a shield to call anyone who thinks your show sexualizing underage girls is gross a "bigot", and your ability to j/o over it "progressive". And that's on top of the same issues that it would share with masculine fanservice.

Frankly I wouldn't care at all if you wanted to watch and discuss this show if you were willing to admit you're a loving degenerate instead of pretending you're better than other weird anime people, such as myself.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got a good feeling about this thread. Probably going to be more entertaining than the actual show.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DrPaper posted:

Outside of otaku, stock yuri is considered MORE shameful, because not only is it blatantly dehumanizing an entire sexuality of people for fetishization, people use it as a shield to call anyone who thinks your show sexualizing underage girls is gross a "bigot", and your ability to j/o over it "progressive". And that's on top of the same issues that it would share with masculine fanservice.

Frankly I wouldn't care at all if you wanted to watch and discuss this show if you were willing to admit you're a loving degenerate instead of pretending you're better than other weird anime people, such as myself.

Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that you're a pedophile, but at least you're not one of those otaku. Interesting. I also wasn't referring to male-targeted fanservice, either.

coathat
May 21, 2007

DrPaper posted:

Most yuri is made and read by women. I guess lesbians dehumanize themselves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

coathat posted:

Most yuri is made and read by women. I guess lesbians dehumanize themselves.

Makes you think, don't it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway my problem with penguindrum is that it sucks

or to be more accurate: utena used its metaphors and symbolism and motifs and whatever other fancy words you wanna add in there to advance the story and characters. you thought about a bit of symbolism and figured out a thing. that's how symbolism is supposed to work. they were obvious enough to be easily figured out but well-used enough to be worthy of thought.

penguindrum used its metaphors and symbolism to advance the metaphors and symbolism. there's no meat, no neat revelations hidden beneath the surface, just more impenetrable layers of bullshit. it's got half the actual substance of utena and ten times the nonsense cloaking it.

im not one of those people who thinks utena is the deepest anime ever made, but that's exactly my point - it wasn't trying to be. it was using those things, but it was using them for a reason, not because ikuhara was masturbating furiously over twin peaks reruns and sailor moon yuri doujins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the sailor moon anime is way better than the manga but wasn't it a result of people telling the original creator 'lol you're a vaginahaver' and giving her next to no input

• Locked thread