Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

Me and Dangerism are the two people that would like another Anderson fight with Weidman and are very happy.

And nervous.

But happy.

mostly nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Captain Log posted:

Me and Dangerism are the two people that would like another Anderson fight with Weidman and are very happy.

And nervous.

But happy.

I know Dangersim doesn't, but do you hate Anderson Silva?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would watch it, but I would prefer to see Weidman fight Rockhold and Jacare sooner rather than later. But I get it, Anderson is getting old and the UFC is all about throwing on the biggest fights they can this year before everybody falls to random drug tests injury.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I don't want to see Silva fight Weidman again for myriad reasons, chief among them being that Middleweight isn't currently a barren wasteland like LHW.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

he actually elaborated on his comment today and it was even better.

Today's:
[/url]

😢

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

I would watch it, but I would prefer to see Weidman fight Rockhold and Jacare sooner rather than later. But I get it, Anderson is getting old and the UFC is all about throwing on the biggest fights they can this year before everybody falls to random drug tests injury.

yep. I'm interested in Anderson vs Weidman again even if I see no outcome where Anderson doesn't get hurt. There's part of me that would love to see Anderson have some flash of brilliance against Weidman. I think fatherdog posted that Weidman and Silva have fought for like 13 minutes and Anderson has won maybe 30 seconds of it, the other was him dying.

At the same time I don't need that though. I would be happy and prefer if Weidman fought new guys especially when matches with Jacare and Rockhold could show off more areas of Weidman's game.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 8, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think we're all looking past nicholas diaz and history has shown us that this is absolutely justified. and funny.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If Diaz wins I expect him to move back to welterweight and become the UFC Welterweight champion.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

If Diaz wins I expect him to move back to welterweight and become the UFC Welterweight champion.

If Diaz wins I expect him to become the Weedlord of the universe. Since false implies true. (That might be what you meant.)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Silva is going to beat Nick Diaz in the exact way Nate just got dismantled

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I would prefer to see Anderson spend the rest of his career clowning on lovely guys instead of getting murdered by Chris Weidman repeatedly. You'd think I would realize that nobody ever does that and they continue until it gets sad and you plead with them to stop

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UFC should just make a Franklinweight division and stick Anderson, Shogun, Hendo, Chael, and Rampage in there and make them fight each other forever.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

lol if you think Rampage is making 195

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

1st AD posted:

The UFC should just make a Franklinweight division and stick Anderson, Shogun, Hendo, Chael, and Rampage in there and make them fight each other forever.

Where does Rich Franklin fit in this?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Neeber posted:

Where does Rich Franklin fit in this?

Franklinweight is 195. Rich Frankln hasn't been heard from since he declined to take the Cung Le fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I know Weidman is Anderson kryptonite but do any of us remember Anderson from 2006 until Weidman? If he returns to form and does the Matrix to Diaz, gently caress it, why not see what a third fight entails.

But yes mostly nervous.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Also, could Weidman have a stiffer defense schedule?

"So you killed a GOAT God, then did it again. Then you had an amazing war with future HOFer Machida. Let's make sure you can really stomp that first legend out. Then maybe you can "relax" with Jacare or Rockhold."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Goddammit DC, stop being so lovable. Also I think something simple is being lost in the shuffle here: the terrifying and hilarious prospect of being Jon Jones on coke

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I know Weidman is Anderson kryptonite but do any of us remember Anderson from 2006 until Weidman? If he returns to form and does the Matrix to Diaz, gently caress it, why not see what a third fight entails.

But yes mostly nervous.

I remember him looking bad in fights against Demian Maia and Chael Sonnen, and Patrick Cote, yeah.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Watching Anderson lose to Weidman the first time hurt, but it was fine, and it proved that even the greats are mortal.

Watching Anderson snap his leg in half against Weidman the second time was the saddest moment of my UFC watching career, topping Jones destroying Lyoto. It was the worst injury I've ever seen in the UFC and it happened to one of my favorite fighters.

I really, really do not want to see Anderson fight Weidman again :(

That isn't to say I don't think he could somehow pull it off, but poo poo... watching those fights hurt.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Also I do really think Jacare deserves a shot and I am really interested to see what he has for Weidman.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like Jacare but I think the fight to make is with Luke Rockhold, mostly because you deserve a loving title shot if you can successfully concuss Michael Bisping.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

There should totally be a UFC masters circuit.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd like to see Jacare get the shot, but I can't really argue too hard with making the winner of Jacare/Yolo fight Kennedy for the shot while Anderson fights Weidman again. Anderson is......Anderson. The UFC's gonna put him in the biggest possible fights regardless of whether nerds on the internet like us whine about legitimacy or not.

e: whoops, meant Rockhold, not Kennedy.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 8, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

attackmole posted:

I'd like to see Jacare get the shot, but I can't really argue too hard with making the winner of Jacare/Yolo fight Kennedy for the shot while Anderson fights Weidman again. Anderson is......Anderson. The UFC's gonna put him in the biggest possible fights regardless of whether nerds on the internet like us whine about legitimacy or not.
Yeah, this is really my problem. There is really no way you can say Anderson Silva, arguably the greatest MMA fighter we've seen yet, doesn't deserve another shot at his belt.

I just don't want to be sad again :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

cams posted:

Yeah, this is really my problem. There is really no way you can say Anderson Silva, arguably the greatest MMA fighter we've seen yet, doesn't deserve another shot at his belt.

I just don't want to be sad again :(

that's where you're wrong man. anderson was unequivocally demolished twice. this isn't some edgar / maynard poo poo. this ain't some hendricks / lawler poo poo. this some tito / shamrock poo poo. and that's sad on many levels.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

cams posted:

There is really no way you can say Anderson Silva, arguably the greatest MMA fighter we've seen yet, doesn't deserve another shot at his belt.

the other side of the "Weidman should fight new guys" coin is Anderson should too. Part of the problem is Anderson's last 3/4 fights would be against Weidman if they do the 3rd fight right now when the last relevant MW win he had would be Vitor in 2011. Everybody keeps saying that MW has changed and improved a lot since Anderson was king, and it has, so wouldn't it be cool to see Anderson fight some of those guys? Maybe he can't beat Weidman but if he beat Kennedy or Boetsch or whoever it'd be like "oh cool Anderson can still hang with some of the best and would still be champ if not for the better guy"

But none of those guys would draw and Anderson wants big fights or none at all, and that's what he's entitled to. He doesn't deserve unlimited chances at the championship but he is one of the stars of the company. Some of these guys need to become popular very quickly or Chael needs to become better friends with NSAC chairmen.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Why aren't chael and okami relevant wins?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Why aren't chael and okami relevant wins?

neither are active UFC MWs and Okami has lost a few times since they fought. Chael went up to LHW and is banned until we have a new president in office. Vitor Belfort though is fighting Weidman for the title. Other than that there are like 12 dudes in the top 15 that Anderson hasn't fought yet and should, at least one or two.

I didn't mean that those wins weren't legit when Silva beat them, they were and were important. But I'm saying right now Okami might keep slipping down the WSOF hole and Chael might not compete again so it would be nice for Anderson to fight newer guys on the roster.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Goddammit DC, stop being so lovable.

I'll live happy with the knowledge that he'll pretty much stomp anyone else in the division with ease whenever he returns (except maybe Gus).

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
reminder that Okami didn't actually fight Silva but instead chose to roleplay a punching bag until he was literally murdered

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He tried to jab him a couple times, then stared at Anderson in absolute terror when he discovered that fighters could throw more than one punch at a time.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Okami pushed Anderson against the cage for a bit and then Anderson kneed him in the body and he decided he was going to go back to college.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
some one post the Anderson & Herb hands on hips.gif

edit: That was that show right? Also if I remember correctly that card was a Kickboxing card with no fight going to the ground.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

And nervous.

But happy.

Me too. Really hope it happens.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

that's where you're wrong man. anderson was unequivocally demolished twice. this isn't some edgar / maynard poo poo. this ain't some hendricks / lawler poo poo. this some tito / shamrock poo poo. and that's sad on many levels.

Remember when Silva would actually breakdance in the cage because he thought the belt challengers weren't worthy, until Dana threatened to put his title fights on the undercard? And we all thought him losing the belt was a good thing because he would be able to change weight class and fight more interesting opponents? Like that mythical GSP super fight?

The trilogies constantly plan doesn't work when they aren't compelling. I think that's where the UFC is stumbling, they're not introducing any new blood. Like someone said, Cain has only fought 3 different people in his last 6 fights in 4 years. JDS doesnt need to prove he can lose even more brain cells in a third fight. There's really no indication another Silva-weidman is going to go any differently, especially if Silva might be gun shy about throwing leg kicks. Imagine the promos: Sure JDS/Silva lost convincingly twice in a row, but this time its personal.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I love Anderson as much as anyone, but I have no desire to see a third Weidman fight without some indication that it would go any better than the last two. I just don't see what the Diaz fight can possibly reveal that would make another Weidman challenge compelling.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

attackmole posted:

I'd like to see Jacare get the shot, but I can't really argue too hard with making the winner of Jacare/Yolo fight Kennedy for the shot

Yoel already beat Kennedy to get a fight with Jacare, which was a likely title eliminator before Dana announced this trilogy fight. I guess one could, like Tim Kennedy, whine pathetically about how that outcome was the result of confusion and possible cheating when Yoel didn't get up to start the third round, but that's a different argument (also wrong).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rematches are not compelling unless A) the original result was close/controversial, B) the loser has visibly improved enough to suggest the result would go differently, or C) The loser has gone on a long enough or impressive enough streak of other victories to suggest that he "deserves" another crack at the title.

Bendo/Cerrone is a compelling rematch. Pettis/Cerrone will be a compelling rematch if Cerrone beats Bendo impressively. Frankie/Aldo is a compelling rematch after the ridiculous beating he put on Swanson. Weidman/Silva fulfills none of these criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

red19fire posted:

The trilogies constantly plan doesn't work when they aren't compelling. I think that's where the UFC is stumbling, they're not introducing any new blood. Like someone said, Cain has only fought 3 different people in his last 6 fights in 4 years. JDS doesnt need to prove he can lose even more brain cells in a third fight. There's really no indication another Silva-weidman is going to go any differently, especially if Silva might be gun shy about throwing leg kicks. Imagine the promos: Sure JDS/Silva lost convincingly twice in a row, but this time its personal.

At least with Cain/JDS, JDS had beaten Cain before, they were 1-1 going into the third fight.

• Locked thread